Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,677 members, 7,840,672 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use (31536 Views)

What are the Rewards For Muslim Women In Paradise? / The 'Burying' Of Muslim Women in the Modern World / Abuzola, That Muslim Dude That Failed Bombing Attempt In U.s - What Do You Say? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 30, 2012
deols:

But some level of determination will go a long way. Do you wear hijab?
No love, you can pray for me to have faith enough to start.
deols:

the comments still point to the hijab. Hijab beautifies

Beautiful hijab beautifies. Those women you posted in those pictures are wearing coloured/small hijabs that is why they look beautiful. Not all hijab are beautifying. Would you say that the hijab in this picture beautifies?
www.nairaland.com/attachments/171724_sexy_hijabis_jpg615ea72c6366fa04999aa84a06f00bdb
Besides, hijab is not meant to be beautifying. It is meant to cover up beauty.

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by honeric01(m): 8:11pm On Aug 30, 2012
maclatunji:

LOL. Stop putting ideas in my head. #Joking

Why did you edit my post? why are you trying to force me to type according to how you think? this is not cool, it's better hidden than edited unless i insulted anyone which i never did.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 8:28pm On Aug 30, 2012
honeric01:

Why did you edit my post? why are you trying to force me to type according to how you think? this is not cool, it's better hidden than edited unless i insulted anyone which i never did.

Some of that post had to go. I left the part that wasn't offensive. Don't worry, I have made a mental note, I will just hide your post next time. However, you may want to read the terms and conditions of signing up to Nairaland. Your posts maybe edited without you being notified.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by honeric01(m): 8:38pm On Aug 30, 2012
maclatunji:

Some of that post had to go. I left the part that wasn't offensive. Don't worry, I have made a mental note, I will just hide your post next time. However, you may want to read the terms and conditions of signing up to Nairaland. Your posts maybe edited without you being notified.

I hope you know i ain't alien to the rules? except if this section is different from sports section or any other, i am yet to see a rule which says a user's post is to be edited by any mod.

All the same, since i don't like someone putting "words" in my mouth or trying to tell me what to say, i'd ignore this "board" from now on because i see nothing offensive in what i typed.

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 9:04pm On Aug 30, 2012
honeric01:

I hope you know i ain't alien to the rules? except if this section is different from sports section or any other, i am yet to see a rule which says a user's post is to be edited by any mod.

All the same, since i don't like someone putting "words" in my mouth or trying to tell me what to say, i'd ignore this "board" from now on because i see nothing offensive in what i typed.

Inasmuch as I empathise with you. A moderator's discretion supercedes your opinion (Even though I respect it). It is my duty not to abuse that power. I did that which I know to be correct, sorry for any inconvenience caused. If it will make you feel any better, it wasn't only your post I modified.

Thank you.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by zayhal(f): 9:47pm On Aug 30, 2012
It's interesting to note that hijab types are kind of culture based and when one wears a hijab that is different from the regular one in a particular region, you tend to get strange looks. Was in UAE sometime ago and got this strange looks from the sisters. I think my kind of hijab was new to them. ‎​ℓoℓ‎​.

And btw, it's also interesting to note that there's a kind of hijab style unique to Nigerian sisters, the one that's like the picture @maclatunji calls khimar but quite longer reaching the knee length or a bit above the knee. Mac, what's that one called jare? And has anyone seen this type on non-Nigerian muslimah?

Note: I use the term 'hijab' here to refer to all types of covering.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Anniesalis(f): 11:12pm On Aug 30, 2012
I luv covering my hair bt hey it shud nt be compulsory dat i must always cover my hair. Seriously I luv a flexible life.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by BusHouse(m): 11:18pm On Aug 30, 2012
deols:

shocked shocked are moderators allowed to edit posts?
Yes. They do it on nairaland. What are they afraid of? If the mod likes tell me i cant post, except after an hour.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by ayobase(m): 11:22pm On Aug 30, 2012
honeric01:

It doesn't matter whether they code or not, what matters is that they are not allowing random men lust after their bodies, if they open legs for you, it would be because they want to and not because you lust after them. most of them are the ones who decide who they want to see their body unlike the norms we have where every private parts of the body is exposed while the ones that are suppose to be for the public is covered.

e.g

Long boot getting to the kneels but a very tiny mini-skirt plus under-wear they now call "blouse" without bra.

Not a muslim either but i appreciate decency.

Ori e pe jare!
Im neither, but truth!
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by deols(f): 1:00am On Aug 31, 2012
fellis:
No love, you can pray for me to have faith enough to start.

InshaAllah, I'll remember you in my prayer.

Beautiful hijab beautifies. Those women you posted in those pictures are wearing coloured/small hijabs that is why they look beautiful. Not all hijab are beautifying. Would you say that the hijab in this picture beautifies?
www.nairaland.com/attachments/171724_sexy_hijabis_jpg615ea72c6366fa04999aa84a06f00bdb
Besides, hijab is not meant to be beautifying. It is meant to cover up beauty.

that depends on your definition of beauty. And where did the notion hijab covers beauty come from? how about men who are just naturally not attracted to women who are uncovered.

Maybe we should talk more on what constitutes a hijab, the reasons for hijab, reasons to wear it and the social impacts of doing so.

I have realised from experience that many people have the wrong notion on hijab and so many others wear it because every other person wears it or people around them do. I was hoping from the start that this thread would go in the direction where we all get to learn and not just admire thhe different forms of hijab.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by deols(f): 1:04am On Aug 31, 2012
honeric01:

you don't have to ignore the whole board because of the actions of one person. And he already mentioned not doing it again. I particularly liked your comment but don't know where to place it now since I can't tell which or which wasn't said by you.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by NeuroBoss(m): 1:44am On Aug 31, 2012
Indeed! With all the chaos its adherents are causing the world over? Back to the topic jare, I appreciate decency.
wellheads: Islam has always been beautiful.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 1:52am On Aug 31, 2012
Simple question pls:

What should handsome dudes wear so that women and gay men would not lust after them?cheesy
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Truckpusher(m): 2:50am On Aug 31, 2012
Tayo114: Islam is beautiful, muslim ladies shld be proud of thir Hijab
ENCOURAGE YOURSELVES BY YOURSELVES.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Truckpusher(m): 2:57am On Aug 31, 2012
Angelina jolie abt to take over the topic or another islamic propaganda brewing up again...sorry i forgot that i'm still your infidel.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 3:08am On Aug 31, 2012
maclatunji: The niqab is a veil for the face that leaves the area around the eyes clear. However, it may be worn with a separate eye veil. It is worn with an accompanying headscarf. The burka is the most concealing of all Islamic veils. It covers the entire face and body, leaving just a mesh screen to see through.

the closure with little air, wont it make the woman smelly?just asking ie is the burka thing during hot weather in the north? What kind of material is used?
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by AroOkigbo(m): 5:54am On Aug 31, 2012
Tayo114: Islam is beautiful, muslim ladies shld be proud of thir Hijab
I was about to type "I AGREE" then I remembered suicide bombing.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 7:03am On Aug 31, 2012
zayhal: It's interesting to note that hijab types are kind of culture based and when one wears a hijab that is different from the regular one in a particular region, you tend to get strange looks. Was in UAE sometime ago and got this strange looks from the sisters. I think my kind of hijab was new to them. ‎​ℓoℓ‎​.

And btw, it's also interesting to note that there's a kind of hijab style unique to Nigerian sisters, the one that's like the picture @maclatunji calls khimar but quite longer reaching the knee length or a bit above the knee. Mac, what's that one called jare? And has anyone seen this type on non-Nigerian muslimah?

Note: I use the term 'hijab' here to refer to all types of covering.

Laughing at this post. Madam, I don't know what the hijab you're talking about is called. I was hoping you would teach us.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 7:13am On Aug 31, 2012
deols:

InshaAllah, I'll remember you in my prayer.

that depends on your definition of beauty. And where did the notion hijab covers beauty come from? how about men who are just naturally not attracted to women who are uncovered.

Maybe we should talk more on what constitutes a hijab, the reasons for hijab, reasons to wear it and the social impacts of doing so.

I have realised from experience that many people have the wrong notion on hijab and so many others wear it because every other person wears it or people around them do. I was hoping from the start that this thread would go in the direction where we all get to learn and not just admire thhe different forms of hijab.

I agree with Fellis. In fact, I wrote a post to that effect last night but it got lost because of bad internet connection. Hijab is meant to hide a woman's beauty and adornments. That doesn't mean wearing beautiful hijabs or functional ones (like the ones used by the female Ninjas in the video I posted) is haram.

In regard to teaching the hows and whys of hijab, I suggest you create a separate thread for that and link it to this one.

This one was intended for informational purposes and I think it has served that purpose well.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by deols(f): 8:48am On Aug 31, 2012
^^no problem about not derailing the thread. I would still like you to point out references to the hijab being meant to conceal beauty. there is a difference between beauty and adornments. Don't get it twisted.

I remember emofine2 saying she finds eyes attractive. Does that make covering the eyes compulsory? How about beautiful good looking men, do they get to conceal their beauty too? and in what way?
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 8:54am On Aug 31, 2012
deols: ^^no problem about not derailing the thread. I would still like you to point out references to the hijab being meant to conceal beauty. there is a difference between beauty and adornments. Don't get it twisted.

I remember emofine2 saying she finds eyes attractive. Does that make covering the eyes compulsory? How about beautiful good looking men, do they get to conceal their beauty too? and in what way?

The concept of Hijab is not to cover ALL beauty but MOST. I agree, eyes can be beautiful. grin
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Saintparis1: 9:03am On Aug 31, 2012
Nice cheesy But supposing a woman refuses to wear hijab in let's say in islamic country what will happen to her? #justasking#
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 9:05am On Aug 31, 2012
Saint paris: Nice cheesy But supposing a woman refuses to wear hijab in let's say in islamic country what will happen to her? #justasking#

Social stigma will almost certainly force her to wear it. Unless, she prefers not going out at all.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by bukatyne(f): 9:45am On Aug 31, 2012
deols: ^^no problem about not derailing the thread. I would still like you to point out references to the hijab being meant to conceal beauty. there is a difference between beauty and adornments. Don't get it twisted.

what is d use of wearing adornments if u ll conceal them? wat is the function of concealin them? does it mean that if a woman uses no adornment, she can go out without an hijab?
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 9:56am On Aug 31, 2012
bukatyne: what is d use of wearing adornments if u ll conceal them? wat is the function of concealin them? does it mean that if a woman uses no adornment, she can go out without an hijab?

The bolded is a great point in support of my/fellis position. A woman who has no make-up or jewelry on would still be required to wear hijab. Why? Women are naturally endowed with beauty. grin grin grin Adornment na just jara.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 31, 2012
maclatunji:

That doesn't mean wearing beautiful hijabs or functional ones (like the ones used by the female Ninjas in the video I posted) is haram.

What exactly does does 'functional hijab' mean? Are women allowed to change the style/length of hijab that they wear because of the work they do?

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 10:08am On Aug 31, 2012
fellis:
What exactly does does 'functional hijab' mean? Are women allowed to change the style/length of hijab that they wear because of the work they do?

Have you watched the Ninja video?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

First Two Ebira People In Mecca On Pilgrimage (Photo) / Bloodbath As Muslims In Oyo Fight Over Praying Ground In Igboora, Ibarapa East / Obabiyi Aisha Ajibola Wins Muslim Beauty Pageant In Indonesia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.