Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? (11611 Views)

Roberto Di Matteo For Valencia Job? / Chelseafc Sacks Manager Roberto Di Matteo / Roberto Di Matteo Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 11:45pm On May 12, 2012
LMFAO,
ondo_boi: anthony obi is the former governor of osun state...if you ask me, i'll say he's a good man
Nairaland will not kill me......
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 11:52pm On May 12, 2012
Who I Go Ask?:
Mikel Obi was once at the same level with lionel messi. Our choices today are really important for tomorrow

4 ur chronic hate 4 a fellow countryman, I strongly recommend 3 tablespoons of Haterade
Syrup.. to be taken thrice daily. Messi is not Mikel and vice versa!! And, stop dragging yesterday into today unnecessarily! U won't gain life changing momentum if u do! #Food for thought!

Chillext: Bleep mikel........ 6 seasons no goal, not even goal attempt. Mtcheeeewww
Must he score? Even if he spends an entire career in chelsea without scoring, we r cool with that! We need him 4 our midfield n 4 assist!! And he's been doing an excellent job lately!

1 Like

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by AustineE1: 11:58pm On May 12, 2012
Mikel Obi another success story,i dont think any nigeria so far,plays in a big club like this!less i forget,Jewl Obi plays for inter milan,the young lad Nnamdi for A.C milan..thou some Nigerian past heros has attained similar great heights,the likes of Kanu Nwakwo,Austine Okocha,finidi George,Taribo west,victor Epkeba,Obinna nsofor(still playing)!pls am also making a case for Rashidi Yekini,cant the yoruba nation atleast give him a descent burial!
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 12:01am On May 13, 2012
ondo_boi: anthony obi is the former governor of osun state...if you ask me, i'll say he's a good man

Lolzzz! I get ur drift!! Why r u trying to pee on d tread na? Chelsea is in d centre-stage now, dat's y Mikel is getting dis much attention and review!! I think u need a full glass of haterade bitters!!
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by searchcorp(m): 12:03am On May 13, 2012

I have neva laughed like this in my whole life. Mehn, my ribs hurt badly now. Pls dude, tell us, were u sleep typing or was it just pure sarcasm.

=)) =)) =)) laffº°˚ ˚°º≈donº°˚ ˚°º≈mekº°˚ ˚°º≈meº°˚ ˚°º≈immortalº°˚ ˚°º≈=)) =)) =))

1 Like

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Butoneday2(m): 12:11am On May 13, 2012
Ondo_boi, ondo_boi, ondo_boi, ondo_boi, ondo_boi, ondo_boi....what's is it na.. Nairaland a place of lafta. Pple and their character lol....

1 Like

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 1:52am On May 13, 2012
Alumnus:

This guy should moderate the jokes section. hope I'v not mistyped cos of lafta? grin grin
SECONDED!!!!!!
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 2:05am On May 13, 2012
Chillext: Bleep mikel........ 6 seasons no goal, not even goal attempt. Mtcheeeewww
see how u fail,mikel has scored at least 2 goals for chelsea
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by kid7soccer(m): 2:07am On May 13, 2012
guy wake up grin
guy wake up
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 2:12am On May 13, 2012
Austine.E:
Mikel Obi another success story,i dont think any nigeria so far,plays in a big club like this!less i forget,Jewl Obi plays for inter milan,the young lad Nnamdi for A.C milan..thou some Nigerian past heros has attained similar great heights,the likes of Kanu Nwakwo,Austine Okocha,finidi George,Taribo west,victor Epkeba,Obinna nsofor(still playing)!pls am also making a case for Rashidi Yekini,cant the yoruba nation atleast give him a descent burial!
As much as dumb Nigerians like to shout
joel obi,how many games has he played for inter this year?
nnamdi is basically a torino player now and not regular
but poor mikel has been playing consistently for the 2nd best english club(behind utd) this decade and yet Nigerians are not satisfied
chelsea has basically one of the best ucl records in the last decade
ancelotti one of the best coaches ever
maurinho(being biased)so will call him the best ever
grant not a bad coach but respected regardless
di matteo-up and coming coach in the epl(he brought osas to west brom)
hiddink,master tactician
what do all these coaches have in common,they have all used mikel consistently despite Chelsea having more than enuff money to buy any DEF MID the coaches wanted and still yet,Nigerians open their dull head that has not coached ordinary 5 a side and condemn the boi,i tire for una o
p/s not intended for quoted post

3 Likes

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by afrodoc(m): 2:23am On May 13, 2012
it is true.
Mikel obi,obie trice,oby madugbogu and oby ezekwesili are all LEGENDS
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by deandavid(m): 3:46am On May 13, 2012
nchewi:

4 ur chronic hate 4 a fellow countryman, I strongly recommend 3 tablespoons of Haterade
Syrup.. to be taken thrice daily. Messi is not Mikel and vice versa!! And, stop dragging yesterday into today unnecessarily! U won't gain life changing momentum if u do! #Food for thought!

Must he score? Even if he spends an entire career in chelsea without scoring, we r cool with that! We need him 4 our midfield n 4 assist!! And he's been doing an excellent job lately!
excellent watin... He play reach makelele? Abeg make una go rest jor. D only difference i have seen in obi in his recent performance is that he has reduced his card collection.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by childluck(m): 5:39am On May 13, 2012
@ Ondo_boy, did you take the wrong pill? what have you done here?
I just can't stop laughing sooooo long and loud.

@OP, this is to show you how adaptive a good player could be. Mikel Obi is a good footballer.
He can adapt to any demand from any coach, in that he is unique.

If Messi and CR7 were not helping their teams win matches with the way they play, no team would love to have them.
The coach determines how a player plays to help the team achieve it's objective. It is not about individuals displaying their talents all the time.

JM did not destroy Mikel's talent, he used him to achieve just exactly what he (Jose Mou))wanted, like he does Pepe now.
That is pure management. You use the resources available to you to achieve your goals and objectives.

As a footballer, you are lucky if you have a coach who would help you be you, provided you deliver the goods!
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 6:28am On May 13, 2012
deandavid: excellent watin... He play reach makelele? Abeg make una go rest jor. D only difference i have seen in obi in his recent performance is that he has reduced his card collection.
so basically anybody that does not play as good as makalele is flawed,even makalele said he is proud of mikel so far and for your info,when did makalele become great,it was when he went to madrid and even madrid got rid of him and he got to chelsea and madrid saw what a gem he was that they let go,you ppl just speak like rome was built in a day,the drogba you all shout about now started getting to his potentials at about the age of 25/26
mikel has already won
Premier League: 2009–10
FA Cup: 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
League Cup: 2006–07
FA Community Shield: 2009
Premier League Asia Trophy: 2011

Now is that a sign of someone who is a failure or someone who is making it?
keep on hating deluded fellow,dont worry,when he add UCL to hm list,you sit there behind your keyboard and keep going MIKEL IS A FAILURE
one day someone go hear you
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by SORENSEN: 6:42am On May 13, 2012
Lets stop praising mikel obi.he startd with l.messi & were is messi today?
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by larpah(m): 6:53am On May 13, 2012
I like this thread, i like to contribute. But... Guys, help me out. Please, who is this Obi?
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by saintneo(m): 6:53am On May 13, 2012
let's watch mikel in the offensive position and see.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by bandely(m): 7:14am On May 13, 2012
To all those saying he started with Messi, why are you not the richest person in your age group in the world? Didnt they give birth to you at the same period. Lets say u're 50, why are you not richer than Dangote, and lets say you're 20. Why are you not more famous than Davido? Abeg make una go sleep jare.

2 Likes

Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by supaeagles(m): 7:17am On May 13, 2012
90% of his passes are back passes! Though have to say, many of those 10% forward passes have resulted in goals smiley
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Nobody: 8:04am On May 13, 2012
All this silly comparison of Mikel with Messi has got to stop, I love Mikel as a player but he has never been on the same level with messi. Messi is a striker and also plays for Barcelona
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by sebastinta(m): 8:05am On May 13, 2012
Austine.E:

bolo what do u mean by Yoruba nation. d u m b talk
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Ninilowo(m): 8:16am On May 13, 2012
poj: Cant just stop laughing. Nairalanders; vry unprdctabu set of people.
Walahi
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by McCoy91(m): 8:45am On May 13, 2012
larpah: I like this thread, i like to contribute. But... Guys, help me out. Please, who is this Obi?
Stale. E no sweet grin
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Havilah93(m): 8:53am On May 13, 2012
being more consistent is the word. He's been seeing more playing time lately
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by SawG(m): 9:04am On May 13, 2012
@ondo-boi, u are a clown, so tell me, olusegun obi was d former governor of which state? may be Nigeria state.......I just cant help myself to stop laughing. u av really made d nairalanders' day. Funny U.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by vanstanzy(m): 9:08am On May 13, 2012
Cyracks: In his recent interview with goal.com, Mikel Obi discloses that he had to configure his game in other to suit the premier league standard since he joined Chelsea in 2006 under Jose Mourinho, who converted him from an offensive midfielder to a holding one prior to Claude Makalele’s departure. Since Roberto Di Matteo taking over at Chelsea with the recent playing formation, he now has the freedom to display his natural talent. grin

In the early years, the Nigerian player got a raft of red cards for reckless tackles but in the June issue of Chelsea FC magazine, Obi reveals that he has had to grow up quickly. “Growing up, 4-4-2 was the standard for me. Then I came into the team at Chelsea and switched to a holding role. If I’m the only deep midfielder, it means I tend to play with more discipline,” Obi said in the magazine. “I need to be the one to keep the shape of the team, to be the one man holding, and every team needs that.

Now Obi said his role is more flexible as Chelsea have started playing with two defensive midfielders – Frank Lampard and Obi, and this change has given the Nigerian more freedom to explore his creative tendencies. “It depends on what the manager wants you to do and what he gives you permission to do.

I’ve been here six years and in that time I have had managers who said, “Don’t even try it,” Obi continued. “But Robbie [Roberto Di Matteo] has encouraged it, and why not? I try to help the team and I try to show what I can do when I have the ball as well. I try to create and make the team play, to be a little bit more offensive, not only disciplined and defensive.’
Source:=> http://www.abclatestnews.net/blog/obi-mikel-becoming-a-better-player-under-roberto-di-matteo/

Is that so? This an eye opener o! Who gives a rats @ss what he plays 4 chelsea. Let him play wel 4 his frigin country thats all., abi them tie im leg?
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by GAB1: 9:11am On May 13, 2012
McCoy91:
Stale. E no sweet grin

too fake
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by vanminister: 9:20am On May 13, 2012
If i am honest with you, which i will, MIkel is playing scared. He is a worried player, fearful against putting a foot wrong. He is only been fielded because there's none available. when Michael essien was 'alive' in the midfield, mikel was benched thruout. If Lampard is brave enough to run up the field to put the ball into the net, what stops mikel was scoring for 6 seasons for God's sake. When mikel gets the ball the first thing he thinks about is to give the ball sideways or backwards to the next player, he doesnt run up forward strait up into the opponents half or '18. Look at ALEX SONG of Arsenal, a sure contrast!!! There is a 'spirit' around the guy. he is becoming a freak and unreal and he desperately needs a confidence boost and a character/self confidence building manager. Where is Baba Oyedepo who casts out devils and slaps them out

He is not using his charisma or frame that God gave him. If it was left to me, i would convert him into an outright attacker and give him a quota, if he doesnt score at least a goal in 3 matches, he's out of contract! These guy can attain to great heights if he uses his natural talents. i am not proud of him at all. his games are not memorable, he's just lucky that he's part of a great team.

He plays confused, he looks confused, talks confused. (sorry mikel, thats my opy) Chelsea might win the CL with mikel playing the full 90 mins, but it doesnt change the fact that you could have been a brighter star and man of every match!!!

jesus loves you all guys, and i am glad to inform you that there is no place for unbelievers in heaven, I mean Mary worshippers, judaizers, White garment folks, brotherhood, muslims, hindus, rastafarian, greek orthodox, bhuddists etc. (everyone doesnt have to agree with me but the truth has to be told!)
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Reference(m): 9:39am On May 13, 2012
In terms of club football, the short answer is yes. In terms of his overall career, no. In terms of his potentials, who knows.
Re: Is Obi Mikel Playing His Best Under Roberto Di Matteo At Chelsea? by Ahmedie25(m): 9:53am On May 13, 2012
Yes,d minister of information is labaran maku,very hardworking man

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tottenham Vs Arsenal (2 - 1) On 2nd October 2011 / Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? / Manchester City Vs Aston Villa (3 - 1) On 12th February 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.