Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,953 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Are Our Leaders Ever Going To Repent? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Our Leaders Ever Going To Repent? (790 Views)

I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Attempt By Boko Haram Members To Repent Proves Amnesty Will Work – Shettima / Bankole - Our Leaders Love To Rule And Die In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Our Leaders Ever Going To Repent? by Afam4eva(m): 7:43pm On May 12, 2012
This goes out to those who love the keyword "Nigeria go better". When people make this kind of statement, are the seeing something that some of us can't see or are they just hoping that one day our corrupt politicians will wake and give their lives to Jesus and become born again non-thieving politicians? Are we not supposed to support talk with action? What exactly are we waiting for to happen? because i don't see corruption going away anytime soon.
Re: Are Our Leaders Ever Going To Repent? by Goodyman(m): 9:09pm On May 12, 2012
Hi, afam4eva, corruption has really eaten very deep in our political fabric, such that it cannot just go away without some form of complete turn-around by our greedy politicians. Nigerian politicians have still not understood the meaning of governance except a tiny few who are really trying hard to deliver what they usually refer to as the dividends of democracy. The Nigerian political system has the power to soil even a born-again leader because politics is not practised in isolation, but with a collection of strange bed-fellows. Remember, what the late Owelle of Onitsha, the Rt Hon Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe said, there are no permanent friends nor enemies in Nigerian politics.

Unless God's Kingdom is eventually established, corruption in Nigeian politics nor even in advanced countries will ever end.
Re: Are Our Leaders Ever Going To Repent? by otokx(m): 10:14pm On May 12, 2012
Have we the followers repented?
Re: Are Our Leaders Ever Going To Repent? by Goodyman(m): 8:25pm On May 14, 2012
If we want the followers to repent, then the leaders must first show the way. Remember the Buhari/Idiagbon era? These were leaders who ushered in a new orientation in our attitudes during their time and the positive effect on Nigerians generally was noticeable. So, for the followers to repent, the leaders should first show the way. A child does not lead the way for the father to follow, it is the other way round.
Re: Are Our Leaders Ever Going To Repent? by Nobody: 12:00am On May 15, 2012
afam4eva: This goes out to those who love the keyword "Nigeria go better". When people make this kind of statement, are the seeing something that some of us can't see or are they just hoping that one day our corrupt politicians will wake and give their lives to Jesus and become born again non-thieving politicians? Are we not supposed to support talk with action? What exactly are we waiting for to happen? because i don't see corruption going away anytime soon.

Don't be lazy, lazy boy. What has religion got to do with politics/business? Have you repented from your latest sin?
Re: Are Our Leaders Ever Going To Repent? by odumchi: 9:56pm On May 15, 2012
From my perspective, the problem is that most Nigerians have become so used to poor governance and political dissaray that they can barely lift a finger about it. The honest truth is that most people despise poverty and simply hate politicians becuase they aren't like them, thus using them as a scapegoat.

The hard truth is that everyone wants to get rich and take a slice of this "national cake". Afam, I bet that if you were a multi-millionaire politician, you wouldn't be complaining at all. However, the poor rural farmer that's on the other end of the spectrum would be complaining and blaming you for his problems (and he's somewhat correct) but wouldn't have the nerve to do anything for fear of his life.

Corruption leads to poor governance which leads to poverty which leads to a lack of education which again spawns poor governance. I hope you see the endless cycle. People are terrorized by federal organizations (such as the police) and are forced to become ignorant of their rights. No one wants to protest or sue because they're afraid they'll get shot. Tell me how many people have ever protested in front of Aso Rock?

The truth is that corruption can never be eradicated but it can be reduced to a manageable level. In order for this to happen, you must either break one of those factors I listed earlier.

I wish we had the civil virtue of the old days back. This reminds me of the 1929 Aba women's riot when thousands of brave and armed women protested against the British government's unfair taxation and encroachment.
Re: Are Our Leaders Ever Going To Repent? by Afam4eva(m): 8:04pm On May 16, 2012
odumchi: From my perspective, the problem is that most Nigerians have become so used to poor governance and political dissaray that they can barely lift a finger about it. The honest truth is that most people despise poverty and simply hate politicians becuase they aren't like them, thus using them as a scapegoat.

The hard truth is that everyone wants to get rich and take a slice of this "national cake". Afam, I bet that if you were a multi-millionaire politician, you wouldn't be complaining at all. However, the poor rural farmer that's on the other end of the spectrum would be complaining and blaming you for his problems (and he's somewhat correct) but wouldn't have the nerve to do anything for fear of his life.

Corruption leads to poor governance which leads to poverty which leads to a lack of education which again spawns poor governance. I hope you see the endless cycle. People are terrorized by federal organizations (such as the police) and are forced to become ignorant of their rights. No one wants to protest or sue because they're afraid they'll get shot. Tell me how many people have ever protested in front of Aso Rock?

The truth is that corruption can never be eradicated but it can be reduced to a manageable level. In order for this to happen, you must either break one of those factors I listed earlier.

I wish we had the civil virtue of the old days back. This reminds me of the 1929 Aba women's riot when thousands of brave and armed women protested against the British government's unfair taxation and encroachment.
I don't know how i'll react if i were a millonaire billonaire but i get your point.

(1) (Reply)

Hausa Leader To Jonathan-dont Dialogue With Boko Haram / You Are Clannish And The Most Corrupt ~ CPC Takes Jonathan To The Cleaners / Obama Gets Dire Warning Over Boko Haram's Designation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.