Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,262 members, 7,860,606 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:12 PM

Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? (1078 Views)

Did Jesus Come To Bring Peace Or Not? / Why Did Jesus Come??? / The Second Coming: When Will Jesus Come Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by jerrymania(m): 9:49pm On Nov 14, 2007
i sometimes see it this way: God pronounced judgement on the earth,total anihilation, in the midst of the Arch-angels and his Angels. But Jesus came forth from the midst of the Angels to trade himself for us, because through him we were created. It deeply grieved God that he made a decree that whosoever believe in his Son been scarificed for our sake will have eternal life. guess i'm out of sight right?
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by pilgrim1(f): 4:37pm On Nov 15, 2007
jerrymania:

It deeply grieved God that he made a decree that whosoever believe in his Son been scarificed for our sake will have eternal life.

Uhm. . . did it really "grieve" God that He made a decree 'that whosoever believes' in His Son should have life?

Lol. . I was just teasing you - God was not grieved to offer us salvation. grin

Anyhow, I think this is a good topic in itself: Re: Why Did Jesus Come to Earth?

There are several reasons why He came to earth. I'll start with just two:

#1. He came to earth to glorify the Father:

John 17:4
I have glorified thee on the earth:
I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 12:27-28
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say?
Father, save me from this hour:
but for this cause came I unto this hour.
Father, glorify thy name.
Then came there a voice from heaven, saying,
I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.

#2. He came to earth that people may know about divine love:

John 14:31
But that the world may know that I love the Father;
and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do.
Arise, let us go hence.

I trust that others will be able to contribute some more.

Cheers. smiley
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by cgift(m): 7:31pm On Nov 15, 2007
jerrymania:

i sometimes see it this way: God pronounced judgement on the earth,total anihilation, in the midst of the Arch-angels and his Angels. But Jesus came forth from the midst of the Angels to trade himself for us, because through him we were created. It deeply grieved God that he made a decree that whosoever believe in his Son been scarificed for our sake will have eternal life. guess i'm out of sight right?

For that boldened portion, i beg to disagree. We see a very similar analogy in the book of Exodus. (See Exodus 32:10-14) I will paraphrase this scripture for a better understanding. God was wrath with the Isrealites cos He considered them to obstinate. He therefore told Moses that He wass going to consume them due to his anger and make a 'new' great nation out of Moses.

Moses refused and 'managed' God saying what will the heathen nations say when they hear that the same God who led the Isrealites out of Egypt has destroyed them? They might say that He could no longer sustain them and hence, had to destroy them. He therefore asked God t orepent of that evil he was planning to do. The bible says, God changed His mind and was no longer angry. Moses was a kind of Jesus. Like you admitted, Jesus intervened and God changed His mind.

God is always happy when intercessors present themselves. Abraham interceeded for Sodom and Gomorrah in like manner.

Now Jesus said something in particular concerning his coming to the earth:

John 18:37; Pilate thereforee saith unto Him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, thou sayest that i am king. To this end, was I born, and for this cause I came into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone that is of the truth heareth my voice
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by wealthyman(m): 10:13pm On Nov 15, 2007
jerrymania:

The thief cometh for to steal,to kill and to destroy.But the son of man is come,to give l;ife so thatg u can have it more abundantly,this life is what the HEBREW call Zoe,its the very life of God
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by pilgrim1(f): 9:01pm On Nov 18, 2007
A few more as to why He came:

#3. That the world may know that He was born King:

John 18:37 -- Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by Backslider(m): 1:50pm On Nov 19, 2007
@Jerrymania

I see your point. Yes it grieved he most High because he knows that many will the stone fall on. We have the power to pray and move thing.

THE REASON WHY JESUS CAME IS SO THAT THEY MAY KNOW THE FATHER. Why?

because if they know the father

1) They will know how to give their best even if they will not be thanked.
2)They will show mercy
3) Live like their father perfect as he is perfect.
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by Dorcasde(f): 10:27am On Nov 20, 2007
“Therefore awake! Your time on earth is precious! Because of our sins, the Saviour came- that is unassailably and literally true! It is also true that He died because of the gilt of humanity.

But this does not mean that your sins have been taken from you! The Saviour’s work of redemption was to take up the battle with the Darkness in order to bring Light to mankind, to open the way to the forgiveness of all sins.

But each one must tread the path alone in accordance with the irrevocable laws of the Creator. Christ did not come to overthrow the laws but to fulfill them. Do not fail to recognize Him Who should be your best friend! Do not attach wrong meaning to such true words!

When it is quite rightly said that for the sake of man’s sins all this happened, it means the coming of Jesus became necessary only because mankind could no longer find their way alone out of their self-created darkness, nor release themselves from clutches.

Christ had to show mankind the way. Had they not entangled themselves deeply in sin, that is, had they not taken the wrong road, then the coming of Jesus would not have been necessary. He would have been spared His life of struggle and pain.

Therefore, it is quite right to say that He was obliged to come for the sake of men’s sins, if the latter in their pursuit of the wrong road were not to sink into the abyss, into darkness.

This does not mean, however, that the personal guilt of every individual is therefore remitted at a moment’s notice, as soon as he really believes in and lives according to the works of Jesus. But if he does live according to the words of Jesus his sins will be forgiven him. Of course, only gradually, as soon as redemption sets in through the reciprocal action ensuing from the counter-activity of his good volition. Not otherwise! It is different with those who do not live according to the words of Jesus; for them forgiveness is absolutely impossible.

This does not imply however, that only members of the Christian religion can attain to forgiveness of sins.

Jesus proclaimed the Truth! His words must therefore also embrace all the truths of other religions. He did not want to found a church, but to show mankind the right path, which can equally well lead through the truths of other religions. For this reason His words often accorded with the religion already existing”.

The above is excerpt from the lecture The Redeemer, contained in the work, IN THE LIGHT OF TRUTH. [b][/b]

King James Version; Acts 10: 34-35………Then Peter opened his mouth, and said. Of a truth I perceive that GOD is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with HIM.
………same as
"Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality, but in every nation any one who fears Him and does what is right is acceptable to Him."
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by justcool(m): 12:51am On Nov 21, 2007
And finally comes the Truth!!!
Thanks Dorcasde
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by lafile(m): 8:49am On Nov 21, 2007
Dorcasde:

This does not mean, however, that the personal guilt of every individual is therefore remitted at a moment’s notice, as soon as he really believes in and lives according to the works of Jesus.

Dorcasde:

King James Version; Acts 10: 34-35………Then Peter opened his mouth, and said. Of a truth I perceive that GOD is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with HIM.
………same as
"Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality, but in every nation any one who fears Him and does what is right is acceptable to Him."

My dear Dorcasde, You should have read that chapter a little further.
Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Peter Couldn't have been contradicting himself now, could he?
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by combatant: 9:02pm On Nov 21, 2007
@poster

To come and die of course and that is the reason he didnt want to die and prayed to himself, begged himself no to die and even cried to himself for forsaken him on the cross.

Oro buruku grin grin
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by olabowale(m): 2:11am On Nov 22, 2007
@Pilgrim.1: #1. He came to earth to glorify the Father:

John 17:4
I have glorified thee on the earth:
I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

If this verse, does not point out the servant position of Jesus, to you, in relationship to the Lordship of his Master, God Almighty, then I do not know what will. No Muslim needs to use the Bible to know this. Islam is based on it. The hearts already agree on this Lord and Servant relationship. Qur'an is very direct about it. Thank God, regardless of all the pervertions and the watersheddings and dilutions that the Bible has gone through, God preserves what needed to be preserved. There will always be reminant of what agrees with Qur'an in the Bible. Never, will the writers of the Bible, regardless of the gadzillion editions and revisions, will able to rid it free of that specific indicator verses of God being the master of servant jesus. The mind of a true believer, a seeker of truth, whose heart is not diseased, can see what others may not see!

The operative phrase in the above is, 'the work which thou gave me.' You give work to your subordinate/slave/servant/employer to do. Never can you give work to your coequal to do, in the same authoritative manner as what is expressed in the verse above!
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by Yisraylite(m): 2:44am On Nov 22, 2007
@ Topic
I really hate to burst all your collective bubbles
No Jesus ever came to earth, and this myth is ficticious at best, furthemore, Yahshua of Nazareth (Jesus Christ) was never chosen by YHWH to seat on King Dawadah’s (david’s)throne period.

1Ch 28:4   "However YHWH The Father of Yisrayl chose me (David) above all the house of my father to be king over Yisrayl forever, for He has chosen Yahadah to be the ruler. And of the house of Yahadah, the house of my father, and among the sons of my father, He was pleased with me to make me king over all Yisrayl.

1Ch 28:5   "And of all my sons (for YHWH has given me many sons) He has chosen my son Solomon to sit on the throne of the kingdom of YHWH over Yisrayl.

1Ch 28:6   "Now He said to me, 'It is your son Solomon who shall build My house and My courts; for I have chosen him to be My son, and I will be his Father.

1Ch 28:7   'Moreover I will establish his kingdom forever, if he is steadfast to observe My commandments and My judgments, as it is this day.

Luke 3:23   Now Yahshua Himself began His ministry at about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Yahseph, the son of Heli (that is Yahseph son in-law of Eli, Eli being Miriam’s father)
Luke 3:24   the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melchi, the son of Janna, the son of Joseph, ……………………………

Luke 3:31   the son of Melea, the son of Menan, the son of Mattathah, the son of Nathan, the son of David,

As it shows in Luke 3:31 Miriam’s lineage through Eli (Heli) is traced back to Nathan who was Solomon’s brother and  one of David’s sons (1Ch 3:5), and the above scriptures show from 1 chron 28:5-6  that YHWH chose Solomon as His anointed to succeed David not his brother Nathan. So this disqualifies Yahshua from sitting on David’s throne forever.

This would be the same as claiming Ishmayl as the son of promise instead of  Isaac

Mattithyah 1 also records Yahshua’s genealogy through Yahseph, but this cannot not be valid because of Christianity’s doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, that is Miriam’s conception by a so called holy ghost and not Yahseph her husband. Yahseph never put his davidic genes into Miriam(Mary), Unless some how there was a holy ghost carrying David's physical genes (lol)

Furthermore, there are also problems proving this lineage. The records seem to be in sync from David ->Solomon until Zerubbabel.
From 1Chronicles 3 we see the actual records of King David’s and his son Solomon down through Rehoboam Solomon’s son to Zerubbabel

1Ch 3:19   The sons of Pedayah were Zerubbabel and Shimei. The sons of Zerubbabel were Meshullam, Hananyah, Shelomith their sister,

1Ch 3:20   and Hashubah, Ohel, Berechyah, Hasadyah, and Yushab-Hesed--five in all.

This record does not support the records in the book of Mattithyah, none of the sons listed for Zerubbabel in the chronicles match with the list in Mattityah. Please bear in mind that the book of chronicles came first.

Mat 1:13-15  Zerubbabel begot Abiud, Abiud begot Eliakim, and Eliakim begot Azor. Azor begot Zadok, Zadok begot Achim, and Achim begot Eliud.  Eliud begot Eleazar, Eleazar begot Matthan, and Matthan begot Yaaqob.

Mat 1:16   And Yaaqob begot Yahseph the husband of Miriam, of whom was born Yahshua who is called Messiah.

In order to conceal and hide the truth about christianity’s most important foundational flaw, Christian scribes wrote this as Paul’s letter to Timothy :

1Ti 1:3   As I urged you when I went into Macedonia--remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

1Ti 1:4   nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith.

This was written in case the truth ever came out, then there would be some wiggle room for escape from the reality of the circumstance.

In conclusion,
1Ch 28:4   "However YHWH The Father of Yisrayl chose me (David) above all the house of my father to be king over Yisrayl forever,

Hos 3:5   Afterward the children of Yisrayl shall return and seek YHWH  their FATHER and Dawad (David) their king. and will Reverence YHWH and His Righteousness in the latter days.

Yer 30:9   But they shall serve YHWH their Father, and Dawad (David their king, WHOM I WILL RAISE UP FOR THEM

ALL PRAISES AND HONOR TO HIS ETERNAL MAJESTY YHWH OUR FATHER
Hallal YHWH!!

Salaam(peace)
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by olabowale(m): 2:44am On Nov 22, 2007
@Pilgrim.1: So Jesus has a SOUL? I thought that belongs to mere mortals, you and me. (Soul is ruh, when it is in the body of a living human being!).

John 12:27-28
  Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say?
  Father, save me from this hour:
  but for this cause came I unto this hour.
  Father, glorify thy name.
  Then came there a voice from heaven, saying,
  I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.

A trouble soul, for a God? God is lost for or lost for word? God asking his equal to save him, from whatever the condition the equal puts him in? Who truly is the God and Master between God Almighty and Jesus Christ, from this verse 27 above?

Ordinary people gathered together and heard voice from heaven? Is that voice belonging to God, yet the hearers all survived and none died? Yet, in Exodus 20;19, we read that the bold and galant, children under Moses said to Moses,'speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.' This generation was the best generation of the children of Israel. they had enough sense to know that hearing God voice will mean doom to them. Yet during the time of Jesus, he called the generation of the children of Israel of his time an evil generation, yet verse 28, above said no one from this evil generation died from hearing God's voice? What is there being glorified in the phrase, 'glorified it, and will glorify it again?'

I need you to think through your answer, my dear. Please do not deflect the question.
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by Dorcasde(f): 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2007
My dear Dorcasde, You should have read that chapter a little further.
[b]Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
[/b]Peter Couldn't have been contradicting himself now, could he?
[quote][/quote]

Yes, I am with you Lafile. To the best of my understanding, believe in this context means FAITH. And if you have FAITH in HIM, you will live in ACCORDANCE to HIS Word/Message.  When your thoughts, words and actions are in line with His Word, then you’re a changed person.  Remission of sin is not automatic, it comes through CHANGE.
Re: Why Did Jesus Come To Earth? by Dorcasde(f): 4:36pm On Nov 22, 2007
Excuse me all, a bit of digression, Lafile, the text below is on sowing and reaping.

The Law of Sowing and Reaping -popularly expressed as whatever we sow, we are obliged to reap. This Law is described by various other expressions such as: the Law of Karma; the Law of Seed and Harvest; the Law of Cause and Effect; the Law of Reciprocal Action; and the Law of Retributive Justice. It is a Law that must be familiar to all Christians, for it is indicated in a number of Bible passages including the following:
As I have seen, those who plough iniquity, and sow trouble, reap the same. (Job 4: 8 ).
For they sow the winshall reap thed, and they whirlwind. (Hosea 8:7).
For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit. (Luke 6:43).
Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. (Galatians 6:7).

We know that if we sow maize, we can only reap maize, and if we want to harvest wheat, we must sow wheat. This Law ensures the maintenance of order and perfect justice in Creation. Imagine what confusion and bewilderment would result if we could not be certain what the harvest would be whenever we planted any seed; if at one time, a planting of maize gave us wheat, at another time the same planting gave us mango etc. Because of this Law, we know what harvest' to expect with each planting, and what we must plant if we desire a particular harvest. Every effect has a cause; and every cause must result in an effect.
It is important for us to note that this Law is no respecter of religions. Indeed, this is true for all the Laws of Creation as well as the Ten Commandments. If a Christian sows maize, he will reap maize; so also will a Jew, a Moslem, a Buddhist, or a pagan. If a pagan sows goodness, he is bound to reap goodness; so will a Bishop, a Hindu monk, or a Moslem Imam. Indeed, the Creator in His perfect Justice, cannot be expected to discriminate on any basis in the operation of His Laws. This viewpoint has ample support in the Bible. Peter, the Disciple, once declared:
"Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality, but in every nation any one who fears Him and does what is right is acceptable to Him." (Acts 10: 34 - 35).
The Apostle Paul made a similar point in several of his letters (see, for example, Romans 2: 9-11; Ephesians 6: 5-9; Colossians 3:25).
This fact should lead us to the realization that religions are only a means to an end, and not ends in themselves. If our religion helps us to understand thoroughly the Will of the Almighty and shows us how to do this Will, then it has played its part. But we would be wrong to imagine that membership of any religion or sect would guarantee salvation. In this regard, we recall what the Lord Jesus
Christ said: Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the Will of My Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 7:21)

(1) (Reply)

Contact An Alfa / Which Religion Is Most Tolerant / God’s Absolute Holiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.