Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,657 members, 7,820,292 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. (29701 Views)

My Lexus RX 300 Is Consuming Lots Of Fuel, I Need Help,forum!!! / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Jomodupri(m): 8:02am On May 22, 2012
Sorry getting back to the house this late, I had a rather hectic day at the office yesterday.

I checked the vacuum lines and the followings are my observation:

1.0) The Intake Air Resonator is missing.

2.0) The cap on the EGR Control Solenoid Valve is also missing.

3.0) The hose numbered 24 to EGR Vacuum Control Valve had a tiny cut (this has been replaced)

4.0) The inlet to the EGR Vacuum Control Valve is broken off, hence not connection between the EGR Vacuum Control Valve and EGR Control Solenoid Valve.

Please what are the implication of all these factor (1 - 4) on the fuel economy and well-being of the car.

My panel beater also said my catalytic converter and muffler are bad.

Thanks all in advance for your wonderful contributions.

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Ikenna351(m): 9:34am On May 22, 2012
jomodupri: Sorry getting back to the house this late, I had a rather hectic day at the office yesterday.

I checked the vacuum lines and the followings are my observation:

1.0) The Intake Air Resonator is missing.

2.0) The cap on the EGR Control Solenoid Valve is also missing.

3.0) The hose numbered 24 to EGR Vacuum Control Valve had a tiny cut (this has been replaced)

4.0) The inlet to the EGR Vacuum Control Valve is broken off, hence not connection between the EGR Vacuum Control Valve and EGR Control Solenoid Valve.

Please what are the implication of all these factor (1 - 4) on the fuel economy and well-being of the car.

My panel beater also said my catalytic converter and muffler are bad.

Thanks all in advance for your wonderful contributions.

Your car was seriously abused by the previous owner or you the present owner. Even though those evils were meted out on that engine by a rewire or mechanic, but the owner, at the time those things were done, allowed them to take place. I bet no man would allow another fellow man to handle his babe or wife anyhow, not to think of "servicing" her for you in the first place. Thats how one should handle or treat his vehicle. If you love your car or like it very much and treat it as such, no harm would come to that car, no matter how mechanic or rewire tries to convince you to do some risky modifications on it. Thats why I always tell people not to buy a car that doesnt look attractive & appealing to you, no matter how reliable the car would be. If you do not like how a car looks or how it handles, walk away. Get one you always admire that you can afford to buy and maintain. It will make you treat her like a BABY and that would also make you to do every thing in your power to keep it original and in good shape, till it starts falling apart, after many years of ownernership. Thats how it works.

Unfortunately, none of my cars have EGR valve, even though they are both EFI. The little knowledge i have in troubleshooting and fixing cars were aquired while fixing my cars myself (DIY). So I know little about the EGR thing. But i know that it fine tunes air/fuel mixture, together with o2 sensor and CTS. Any abuse on these sensors or faulty of any will result rich mixture (excessive fueling).

From the list you posted, its obvious that the culprits to your car's injection issues are vacuum leak and non functioning EGR valve system.

The way out for you is to look for another Honda accord of the same model, with the same engine model. Open the bonnets of both cars and compare. Look for missing components and connections on the borrowed car. If possible, take pictures of the missing components & connections on the other car and look for those components in auto spare markets. The pics you have taken would also help you to properly install and connect the components. It will direct you where each vacuum line should go to or attached to.

I hope that helps.

Ikenna.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Jomodupri(m): 11:50am On May 22, 2012
@ Ikenna,

That was exactly what I did over the weekend, looked for 2 Honda Accord of the same year and model with mine and took the snap shots of the missing components.

This is actually madam's car. The car broken down (misfire) when she travelled and I'm convinced the so called mechanic did the bad job. She didn't take note of the increased fuel consumption until when I borrowed the vehicle from her. I'm really very meticulous the ways I handle my properties.

What is your opinion on the catalyst converter and the muffler? Such code did not pop up during the scan.

Thanks Ikenna.

You and this ur baby/wife illustration (lol) cheesy
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by KA24DETT(m): 12:48pm On May 22, 2012
If the catalytic converter is clogged , it will increase back pressure. The reason it is clogged is if you are running an rich mixture ( fuel and air) or sometimes bad gas. Cut it out and put a straight pipe. Ur HP will increase for sure . .. I will say u change your 02 sensor While u are at it .. Buy the generic one and use your old connector .bad egr can cause these problems but I doubt if it can be this bad..
Start with what ikenna says.. If u can't, do what I wrote above, the computer will relearn and ur mpg will improve but not to normal level..
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by KA24DETT(m): 12:55pm On May 22, 2012
Intake resonators are to mostly reduce intake noise .. They don't cause bad mileage , it gives ur car a growl when u step on the gas .. Mine in my car is removed and am running a stillen cold air intake . Some people claim u get better mileage cus u dont have restriction on air going into the engine . I didn't notice a big difference in mine..
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Jomodupri(m): 1:19pm On May 22, 2012
Thanks KA24DETT.

Still waiting for more.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by KA24DETT(m): 5:07pm On May 22, 2012
Am looking at ur diagram and I think u have to do a complete swap.. Get another car and use the junk. If it is the solenoid that is messed up as u say,,The car dosent know how much exhaust gas to put back in the cylinders so now u have 2 extreme... Either ur car puts too little exhaust gas and u get bad mileage WHEN driving in city but good mileage when driving In highway or ur car puts too much and u get normal mileage in city driving and bad mileage in highway driving. Those are the 2 extremes when the the solenoid does not work...
The solenoid uses pressure , THrottle possition sensor , car load, rpm and other factors to determine how much exhaust gas had u have to return back to the cylinders. Normally more is returned in low load and on cold start up to reduce emission and less is returned on high speed .
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by jokings: 5:36pm On May 22, 2012
well, take your scan for a proper scan. Several things could cause poor fuel economy. Well if can come to first gate Agidingbi mechanic village i will run a scan for N3,000 and tell you what the fault is with analysis. But if you have a place to run the scan properly then do it. If you have further questions pls call me on 08124918513, 08168944709 and i will be glad to help. thanks

1 Like

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by gulfer: 5:49pm On May 22, 2012
The Americans will say, 'if it ain't broke, don't mend it. Start with the identified especially the vacuum hoses and missing EGR solenoid because those are pointers to where the problems lie. The littlest break/cut on these hoses can make a very big difference in the MPG of your vehicle.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by sultaan(m): 11:35pm On May 22, 2012
gulfer: The Americans will say, 'if it ain't broke, don't mend it. Start with the identified especially the vacuum hoses and missing EGR solenoid because those are pointers to where the problems lie. The littlest break/cut on these hoses can make a very big difference in the MPG of your vehicle.

X2 on that, just focus on the parts you know are missing, if the cat is really bad your vehicle will let you know.don't touch to catalytic converter, and don't give your mechanic you are willing to throw money at that car.

Post the pics you took
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by cardoctor(m): 2:10pm On May 24, 2012
You did not specify if your Toyota is a V6 engined model which can be quite thirsty on fuel especially if you do a lot of harsh accelerations while cruising or from standstill.

Anyway, most of the problems weve solved regarding high fuel consumptions (especially with cars imported from the U.S) is caused by the 02 sensor/s or Oxygen sensor which get corrupted due to the various grades and quality of fuel that we use here in Nigeria. I would recommend that you change yours with a BRAND NEW one. Do not go for a second hand as it may also be faulty.

I would also suggest that you carry out a proper scan with live data stream check on your fuel trim percentage as well as checking your o2 sensors.

A defective o2 sensor could drastically alter the fuel trim of your car engine and although you may not notice any operational problems, it may cause your car to be guzzling fuel like mad.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by cardoctor(m): 2:13pm On May 24, 2012
There is a new radio programme going on on ASO RADIO 93.5FM ABUJA between 5.30pm to 6.00pm EVERY TUESDAY. Its called AUTO-MOTIV and its presented by experts in automobile repairs. You can call in LIVE during the programme and ask those questions that you've always wanted to ask the expert on all your car related problems. They are quite helpful to those who want an expert second opinion and would be quite happy to point you in the right direction. Feel free to tune in if you are within Abuja and environs of the ASO RADIO reach.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by mybad: 5:27pm On Jun 07, 2012
Thanks to Jokings I got diagnosed and I’ve since changed my airflow meter and oxygen sensor.
My car is in good condition now and I’m doing longer trips.

1 Like

Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by appleton: 10:34am On Jun 14, 2012
@mybad I'm experiencing same issues with my 1999 Toyota camry 4 plugs. Where did you fix your car issue?
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by stepedie: 7:58am On Jun 15, 2012
appleton: @mybad I'm experiencing same issues with my 1999 Toyota camry 4 plugs. Where did you fix your car issue?
well all you need do is to scan and know where the issue is then you're on the steps of getting it fixed...You can call me on 08028290680 to fix an appointment so i could help you scan...
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by myke20: 6:54am On Aug 25, 2012
I have the same problem.oxygen sensor or air/fuel sensor bank 1 sensor 1.my mechanic said that current is nt in one place like that.cos he said d sensor is good.he said the brain box is reading a false info to the computer boa bla bla.but I still get like 17.9 to 18.1MPG on the average.how can I fix this problem.I'm in benin.thanks
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by cretin: 8:14am On Aug 26, 2012
Change the sensor.it s abt $60 to $150 .depending on the car.might be difficult to buy in naija.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by donbuchi1(m): 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2012
Thanks a million. I appreciate.

Please I have a camry 1999. And it does about 35km on 10litres.

That was after, a panel beater tampered with the catalyst.

3.785 LITRES = 37KM --- CITY (STANDARD)
3.785 LITERS = 48KM ----- HIGH WAY (STANDARD)

I have thought of changing the entire stretch of that compartment from the engine point to the exhaust.

To a brand new one.

Any assistance would be appreciate.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by Exponental(m): 5:09pm On Aug 29, 2012
i drive a mazda 93 (booth). it consumes fuel. wat is likely to be wrong.
car was registered september last yr. drives fine, all options intact but 4 d fuel.
also does any av an idea of the cost of masterbrake for the car. tanx
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by KA24DETT(m): 3:51am On Sep 30, 2012
don buchi: Thanks a million. I appreciate.

Please I have a camry 1999. And it does about 35km on 10litres.

That was after, a panel beater tampered with the catalyst.

3.785 LITRES = 37KM --- CITY (STANDARD)
3.785 LITERS = 48KM ----- HIGH WAY (STANDARD)

I have thought of changing the entire stretch of that compartment from the engine point to the exhaust.

To a brand new one.

Any assistance would be appreciate.

Run the code, with that VERY BAD MILEAGE, the ECU would definitely throw a code. Go from there

myke20: I have the same problem.oxygen sensor or air/fuel sensor bank 1 sensor 1.my mechanic said that current is nt in one place like that.cos he said d sensor is good.he said the brain box is reading a false info to the computer boa bla bla.but I still get like 17.9 to 18.1MPG on the average.how can I fix this problem.I'm in benin.thanks

Take a gun and shoot ur mecahnic.. Every time u start ur car, the ECU run a diagnostics of all the car systems and records a code when something is off.. Juat read the code, Then fix ur car. Its that simple
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by okeyz(m): 10:58am On Oct 11, 2012
hi guys pls i need advice on what to fix on my SUV,
it'S A pilot 2005 model , the maintenance require ligt is always on and also the VTM-4 light is always on most especially when i bump into a port hole.
i took to a mechanic at mobil filling station at amuwo odifin for a scan and the gave this code p1457 , i googled this and found out that it says the EvAP emission, leak detected at the canister,also the suv gulps fuel as if its beer, please how can i fix this problem and also the VTM_4 issue
please i need urgent advice
thanks

nice post
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by tentsetal: 1:35pm On Jan 10, 2013
Hi,
Please help! My Toyota Sienna 1999 CE model consumes a lot of fuel. No error codes after running OBD II scan. Just bought it november last year and discovered the silencer, from the manifold end to the tail pipe has a lot of rust. All noticed leakages on the silencer has been welded yet fuel consumption is still high. Catalyst has bbeen checked and still intact. What do I do to reduce the fuel consumption or bring it back to normal. Also the injector and nozzle are working well.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by 9icetoo(m): 4:38pm On Jan 18, 2013
gulfer: There are scanner being sold on NL, scanning at workshops can be very expensive in the long run but a small investment of +/- N20,000: 00 on something considered valuable should be taken seriously by every car owner especially from 1996 up in order to avoid the headache that might come with trial and error system of diagnostic and resolution practiced in Lagos nay Nigeria! One question is are you serious about this 100liters for a hundred kilometer, because my own vehicle; a SUV-V6 consumes 68liters for about 563.15km (350miles)? If true, the vehicle may be long gone from return to the normal consumption.I seriously feel your pain. cry cry cry cry

where can i buy this scanner on naira land. I have asked the question before but got no answers. please i need to buy one quickly. i am in port harcourt and the mechanics here are horrible.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by jokings: 8:25pm On Jan 20, 2013
where can i buy this scanner on naira land. I have asked the question before but got no answers. please i need to buy one quickly. i am in port harcourt and the mechanics here are horrible.

Call 08124918513 for the scanner
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by jokings: 8:28pm On Jan 20, 2013
Gulfer pls call 08124918513 for the scanner
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by jokings: 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
I have the software and hardware for car scanning and diagnosis call 08124918513
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by sapeero: 1:09pm On Apr 07, 2013
pak:

@Cachez
I work in Garki 2, not far from Apo Bridge.

You can drop a mail at ponpakap@gmail.com (though I hardly check the box !)

better still, if you leave a number , I'll try to buzz you
@ Pak
I will send you mail and my number so could please meet.
I have a sienna 1996 model CE, whose hobby is to consume excessive fuel with no pity. I stay in Kubwa and work in Central Area and i spend N2,000 fuel daily. Since you reside in abuja, is this normal? I need your help for a thorough scan checkand advise. Thanks.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by harry509: 7:32pm On Aug 30, 2015
mybad:
My 1996 Toyota Camry is no longer fuel efficient.
The car uses far more fuel than a plane.
It consumes 20 liters on the average for a 20km drive (Egbeda to Ikeja Airport) on a daily basis not minding the traffic. [/b]That’s about 1 liter per kilometer.
Just last week my car consumed about 100 liters of fuel for just office to home trips alone, a total mileage of 77 kilometers.
[b]• I’ve serviced the engine
• I’ve changed plugs
• I recently serviced the Injector

…and changed the injector nozzle
A V6 doesn’t consume as much fuel.
Please kindly help with solution to save my monthly budget
A stitch in time they say saves nine.

my honda acord is consuming a lot of fuel badly, I don't kw if it's bcus d car has bein packed 4 longtime. Bt d rate @ wich d car consume a lot of fuel is causing nightmare 2 me. Wat shud I do now? I jst bought d car frm a friend of mine.
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by jamesbond379: 12:46pm On May 18, 2017
well i have an advise for everyone going through this problem ,i know its really painful when this happens due to cost and inefficiency but am here to share my own idea but am not a mehanic and i am sharing from experience as there are few things to do before diagnose and mechanical work :

1 check your car battery if there are no rust or battery /isnt bringing out some dirty liquid ,if yes clean your battery terminal positive and negative
2 check your plugs to see if they are very good and still fire , then can cause misfire and reduce car engine function and bring smoke
3 check your air flow meter and this is how to know if it works,start your car remove the pin plug from the air flow meter , if the car engine stop then its working, but if the car engine is still running then your air flow meter is bad change it and test drive .if this persist
4 change your cold start, the best way to know if its cold start is to take your car to parts store and test until the smoking stops and test drive if this persist
5 then you can now ask the mechanic to check your injector, there is a simple way of knowing if this works ,all you need is a screw driver placed on each injector to listen to each of them if the sound is constant at each secs just like a ticking clock if not if it fluntuates on any of the injector then you have to change that .
6 clean your nozzles, check oil filter of fuel pump, piston
one of these things actually causes black smoke which result to bad fuel economy, the car is like a patient , listen to your car more and avoid quack mechanics ripping you off,i read online and watch youtube videos so once the mechanics says something wrong , i question at times ,no be i too know just be sure so it wont cost you too much , some mechanic will start scattering everything and create additional problems, if there is any question i can help but please ensure that you have tried all this and see first
Re: HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. by TemmyDayo50(m): 7:49am On Jul 13, 2021
pak:
For those with high fuel consumption issues or any other problem that requires scanning. If you stay around Abuja or Jos. I am willing to help scan your car for free (free as in speech and free as in beer ).

This is my own little way of contributing to the auto forum for the numerous assistance I've received from great guys like Ikenna, Sultan, Sienna and a host of others too numerous to mention

Is the offer still available? grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work / Vehicle History Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.