Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic (72306 Views)

Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List / Yoruba Words That Have Several Meanings / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 06, 2013
shymexx:

Can you prove that the "messenger"(Muhammed SAW) was arab and not black African

Ok, let's say Arabs existed 1,400 yrs ago - which is like about 500AD, right??

Read this:

According to text above, King Oduduwa settled in ile-ife between 2000BC to 500BC(this assertion was made by ARCHAELOGISTS) - which means he settled there more than a thousand years before the first arab was born!!!

The first arab is not muhammad (SAw)..many arabs have been existing before then
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by KDULAR: 6:45pm On Mar 06, 2013
It is well known by the Ijebus that prior to their last migration from a place called "WADAI" ( still present in Sudan) to the present place ( capital at Ijebu Ode), they were initially native to northern Ethiopia and initial migration was as a result of Islamic Jihad movement which exiled many people. During the course of the migration, they were drawn and indeed followed the path of an existing personality who as well migrated from same goegraphical area due to the movement ( Jihad) and settled beyond deep i to the rain forest. Indeed the area was said to be regarded as the Yar-ba country.
I've heard of something called the " Ife Scriptures" could any one here confirm it's existence and what is the content? I heard it is of Armaic origin. Probably one of the coppies of the old scrolls pre- Bible as presently compiled and pre- Islamic.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by paris10: 6:46pm On Mar 06, 2013
@op, I sincerely believe you are a Yoruba Muslim. Only and Most Yoruba Muslims uses these words you just listed.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by KDULAR: 6:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
Femi Anikulapo Kuti said in his song. Blackman know yourself, don't forget your past. Lately I've not been reading but this topic is reviving my thoughts and my appetite for more useful things rather than giving credence to some cultures under the guise of religioj=n , as if my great ancestors don't know and indeed worship God. May He ( God) bless those who has contributed meaningfully to this thread.

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by baby124: 6:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
The Arbiter: The Arabic roots of many contemporary Yoruba words has been investigated. Titled “On Arabic Loans in Yoruba,” it was written by Professor Sergio Baldi, a well-regarded Italian linguist, who presented it at the Annual Conference on African Linguistics in California, USA, in March 1995.

Below are excerpts from the article as presented by Farooq A. Kperogi. To download a copy or read the complete article CLICK HERE.

1. [s]Abere. This Yoruba word for “needle” traces its etymology to the Arabic “ai-bra,” which also means needle.
[/s]
2. [s]Adura. This is the Yoruba word for prayers. In fact, there is a popular syncretic Christian sect in Yorubaland that goes by the name “aladura,” meaning “people who pray” or “praying people.” Many other northern and central Nigerian languages have some version of this word to denote prayers. It is derived from the Arabic “du’a,” which also means prayers.[/s]

3. Alubosa. This Yoruba word for “onion” was borrowed from the Hausa “albasa,” which in turn borrowed it from the Arabic “al-basal.”

4. Alufa/Alfa. This is a widely used word for a Muslim scholar (and occasionally any Muslim) not just in Yorubaland but in Nupeland, Borgu, Igalaland, Ebiraland, etc. It is now increasingly used by Yoruba Muslim women as a term of respect for their husbands.

Surprisingly, the word is absent in the Hausa language. It came as no surprise therefore when Professor Baldi suggested that the word came to the Yoruba language—and many other central Nigerian languages—through the Songhai. It is derived from the Arabic “khalifah,” which means a “successor” or a “representative” (of the prophet of Islam). It was first corrupted to “Alfa” by the Songhai who later exported their version of the word to western and central Nigeria—and to other parts of West Africa. Many Songhai were itinerant Islamic preachers who traveled all over West Africa.

5. [s]Atele/itele. It means “following” in Yoruba, and it is derived from “at-talin,” which also means “following” in Arabic[/s].

6. Amodi. It means “disease” in Yoruba and is derived from “al-marad,” the Arabic word for disease.

7.[s] “Amo.” It is a conjunction in Yoruba, which performs the same function that the word “but” performs in English; it introduces contrast. It is rendered as “amma” in Hausa, which is the way it is rendered in its original Arabic form.[/s]

[s]8. Anfani. This Yoruba word for “utility” or “importance” also occurs in Hausa, Batonu, and many northern and central Nigerian languages. It is derived from the Arabic “naf,” which means “advantage, profit.”
[/s]
9. Ara/ apaara. The word means "thunder" in Yoruba, and is derived from the Arabic “ar-ra’d.”

[s]10. Asiri. It means “secret” in Yoruba, Hausa, and in many other Nigerian languages. It is derived from the Arabic “as-sirr” where it also means “secret.”[/s]

11. Barika. This is the Yoruba word for “congratulations.” It is rendered as “barka” in Hausa. The word’s original Arabic form is “al-baraka,” which means “greetings.”

[s]12. Borokinni. It means a “gentleman, respected man in a secure financial position.” The word is also found in many Borgu languages, such as Batonu and Bokobaru, where “boro” means a “friend.” It is derived from the Arabic “rukn,” which means “support, corner, basic element.”
[/s]
[s]13. Faari. It means “showing off” or “boastfulness” or “ostentatious display” in Yoruba. It has the same meaning in many Borgu languages. It is derived from the Arabic “fakhr,” which means “glory, pride, honor.” (Note that “kh” is a guttural sound in Arabic, which is close to a hard “h” in English. That sound was dropped by Nigerian languages).[/s]

14. Fitila. It means any kind of lamp. Its roots are located in the Arabic word for lamp, which is “fatil.”

[s]15. Ijamba. Professor Baldi defines this word as “bodily harm,” but the meaning of the word I’m familiar with is one that associates it with cunning, cheating, deceit. It is derived from the Arabic “danb,” or “danba,” which means “sin, crime.” (Note that Arabic frequently dispenses with end vowels (that is, a, e, i, o, and u) in words, whereas many Nigerian languages almost always end words with a vowel—and add them to words they borrow from other languages if such words lack an end vowel).[/s]

[s]16. Imale. This is the Yoruba word for “Muslim.” I read previous interpretations of this word from Yoruba scholars who say it is Yoruba for “that which is difficult” to underscore the difficulty of Islamic practices like praying five times a day, fasting for 30 days during Ramadan, etc. Other Yoruba scholars said the word initially denoted “people from Mali” since the Songhai people who Islamized Yoruba land in the 15th century were from Mali. [/s]

But Baldi argues that “imale” is the corruption of the Arabic “Mu’alim,” which means a teacher. In the Hausa language, the word is rendered as Maalam. It’s interesting that “Mallam” has become the synonym for Hausa (or northern) Muslim in southern Nigeria.

[s]17. Iwaju. It’s the Yoruba word for “front part.” I didn’t imagine that this word had an Arabic origin until I read Baldi’s article. It is derived from the Arabic “al-wajh,” which means “front” or “face.”
[/s]
18. Iwaasu. It is the Yoruba term for “preaching” or “sermon.” It is used by both Christians and Muslims in Yorubaland, and is derived from the Arabic “waz,” which means “admonition” or “sermon.” (The Yoruba language has no “z” sound, so it substitutes “z” with “s” when it borrows words from other languages with “z” sounds).

[s]19. Suuru. It means “patience” not only in Yoruba but in many languages in central and northern Nigeria. It is derived from the Arabic “sabr,” which also means “patience.”[/s]

20. Talaka. It means the poor. It came to Yoruba by way of Hausa, which borrowed it from the Tuareg (where it is rendered as "taleqque" and where it means “a poor woman”). It’s also used in Mandingo, Songhai languages, Kanuri, Teda, and many West African languages. Baldi says this word has no Arabic origins. On the surface, this may be true. After all, the Arabic word for a poor person is “fakir” (plural: “fuqura”).

However, “talaq,” as most Muslims know, is the Arabic word for divorce. (The chapter of the Qur'an that deals with the subject of divorce is called Suratul Talaq). Talaq is derived from the verb “talaqa,” which means to “disown,” to “repudiate.” In times past (and it’s still the case today in many Muslim societies) if a woman was divorced, she was invariably thrown into poverty. Thus, Tuaregs used the term “taleqque” to denote a “poor woman.” But Hausa, Kanuri, Yoruba, Mandingo, and other West African languages expanded the original Tuareg meaning of the word to include every poor person. This is my theory.

21. Tobi. This Yoruba word for “women’s knickers” is derived from the Arabic “taub,” which means “garment,” “dress,” “cloth.” Another tonal variation of this word leads to a different Yoruba word, which means “big.”

22. Wahala. Well, this isn’t just a Yoruba word by way of Hausa; it’s made its way into most Nigerian languages—and into West African Pidgin English. It means “trouble,” and it’s derived from the Arabic “wahla,” which means “fright,” “terror.”
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by 740megawatts: 7:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
seunajia: That was what Samuel Johnson arrived at. There are other postulations:

P. Amanry Talbot in his well known work, The Peoples of Southern Nigeria, advanced the theory that the Yoruba probably introduced Bronze into modern Nigeria. They came in from the north-east and he gave the period as the beginning of the second millenium BCE.

According to Talbot, the Yoruba were followed by the Bariba, the Bussawa, Tapa (Nupe) and the Jukun among others. He said that their migration arose from events in Egypt such as the Nubian wars of about 1870 B.C or the conquest later of Egypt by the Hykos with their broad scimitars and Chariots drawn by horses.

Leo Froebinius, a German Explorer, writing in his Voice of Africa in 1913 propounded a still more interesting theory. He had visited the Yoruba country and had discovered the now famous heads and terra cottas at Ile-Ife. Obviously elated by his findings Froebinius declared that in YorubaLand he had re-discovered the lost Atlantis. The Yoruba terra cotta, aspects of Yoruba architecture and religion were so patently Etruscan that mere coincidence must be ruled out; the Yoruba civilization was Estruscan.

Denham Clapperton in his book "Narratives of Travels and Discoveries in Northern and Central Africa" (1822) translated and extracted from Sultan Bello of Sokoto caliphate's works on the History of the Sudan this account: "The inhabitants of this province, originated from the reminants of the children of Canaan who were of the tribe of Nimrod. The cause of their establishment in West Africa was, as it is stated, in consequence of their being driven by Ya-rooba, son of Khatan out of Arabia, in the western coast between Egypt and Abyssinia. From the spot they advanced into the interior of Africa where they fixed their residence. On their way they left in every place they stopped at, a tribe of their own people. Thus it is supposed that all the tribes of Sudan who inhabit the mountains are originated from them"

Clapperton wrote; Here is an important piece of traditional evidence. The link with modern Sudan indicates a fruitful field for intensive research; for anyone who has seen people in the southern parts of Sudan witb their facial marks and general physical features cannot fail to notice the similarities with the Yoruba.

It is known that the Arab tribe named Khananites of Southern Arabia had maintained trade relations with the Sudan in the pre-Islamic period; they had also formed a definite link between the Arabs and the Negro population of Abyssinia and Periodically invaded the Nile Valley. The Influx of the Arab tribes continued and with the rise of Islam they became conquerors of the Sudan; those who resisted the new faith were forced to flea. It is clear that Sultan Bello's account refers to the period when after the conquest of Syria, the Khalif El Aziz Abu Mansur (975-996 A.D.) Moved the Bani Solaym and bani Hilal to upper Egypt and settled them there.

I found this Wikipedia link which gives support to the Sultan Bello's claims en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manasir

If the theory of migration is accepted, some important problems would arise. The first is one of the aborigines whom the Yoruba might have met, if any, on their arrival. Undoubtedly, one needs archaeological evidence to settle this problem. From the evidence available at present, the Yoruba would appear to have been the last Sudanic people to have migrated into their present areas. They were also the most virile. The Moremi legend presupposed that they at some stage encountered some opposition from the Igbo people and the detailed research work of Ishola Olomola on The Eastern Yoruba Country before Oduduwa is the right direction of the kind of intensive research that could shed more light on this subject.

Nice analysis. However, I still believe Yorubaland experienced two major migrations into her territory. The very first one happened around 500 BC. The Hyksos wars happened around 1800 BC to 1500 BC. The wars were responsible for the migration of Bantus and consequently, the spread of the Bantu language into central, East and Southern Africa. No research has shown that the Bantu migratory groups settled in Nigeria although it is generally agreed that they passed through Eastern Nigeria and Western Cameroun. Therefore, I very much doubt if the Hyksos war contributed to the language evolution in Yorubaland. I believe the first major group that migrated into Yorubaland first settled somewhere near Lokoja area around 500 BC, dominating the original inhabitants. They brought with them mainly religious worship and some form of rulership. The later migration happened between 1-1000 AD. This period, I believe, belongs to the Oduduwa dynasty. I may be wrong though but I believe at least two migrations occured.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by dayokanu(m): 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2013
Yoruba Egungun be careful
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 7:28pm On Mar 06, 2013
the other words I am familiar with are

*shariah(it means punishmentt in Yoruba). it is common to hear, e da sharia fun..which means punish him

*al asr- is d time for the asr prayer and yorubas call that alaasari.

*al khamis is thursday..Yorubas say alamisi

*yaoum l jum'ah is ojo jimo

*al arbia' is alaruba

* etc

it has to do with the sahara trade routes as well as Islam among indigenous Yorubas
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by kabiyesiii(m): 7:42pm On Mar 06, 2013
Yoruba word for “disease” is ARUN not Amodi
Yoruba word for “lamp” is ATUPA not fitila
Yoruba word for “the poor” is AKUṢẸ not talaka

Yoruba word for “sky” is OFURUFU not sanmo
Yoruba word for “pen” is GEGE not kalamu

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by ridwan4u(m): 7:46pm On Mar 06, 2013
like dis. topic very intresting.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 7:56pm On Mar 06, 2013
kabiyesiii: Yoruba word for “disease” is ARUN not Amodi
Yoruba word for “lamp” is ATUPA not fitila
Yoruba word for “the poor” is AKUṢẸ not talaka

Yoruba word for “sky” is OFURUFU not sanmo
Yoruba word for “pen” is GEGE not kalamu

It is either you are lying or are not Yoruba.

the very popular gospel song, olori oko has in it a part that says-

fitila yi totan...

many christians call their pastors Alufa

and prayer has no other name than adura (from du'a) in Yoruba.

ofurufu means atmosphere and not sky

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 8:04pm On Mar 06, 2013
Sike: BUT THE PORULAR AND WIDELY USED WORD IS: WALAHI TALAHI - BE IT YORUBA, IGBO OR HAUSA.

unfortunately people use it wrongly and very unnecesaarily without even understanding its meaning
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Blokyll(f): 8:06pm On Mar 06, 2013
This post is really nice. Read a lot of contributions that are gibberish but overall, educative really.
Whichever borrowed from which, languages evolve and are continually influenced by association.
However, what about Dukiya (i hope I got that right) which means property in Yoruba. Isn't it of Arabic origin too?
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 8:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
shymexx:

Can you prove that the "messenger"(Muhammed SAW) was arab and not black African

Ok, let's say Arabs existed 1,400 yrs ago - which is like about 500AD, right??

Read this:

According to text above, King Oduduwa settled in ile-ife between 2000BC to 500BC(this assertion was made by ARCHAELOGISTS) - which means he settled there more than a thousand years before the first arab was born!!!

this is like the most ignorant post on NL ever.

The prophet isnt the first arab.

and there were and are still black arabs even in the middle east of today. some are in Qatar..Only sure of those.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:10pm On Mar 06, 2013
deols:

and there were and are still black arabs even in the middle east of today. some are in Qatar..Only sure of those.

THats bullSH!T. I have been to Qatar. there are very few of these slave descent Arabs. Go to Oman. you will find loads of these Zanzibari Arabs. slave descendants today with Omani citizenship. mixed mostly and speak Arabic though during their Liwa Dances, etc., they sing in Swahilli.

they are not pure Arabs andare tribeless.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 8:24pm On Mar 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

THats bullSH!T. I have been to Qatar. there are very few of these slave descent Arabs. Go to Oman. you will find loads of these Zanzibari Arabs. slave descendants today with Omani citizenship. mixed mostly and speak Arabic though during their Liwa Dances, etc., they sing in Swahilli.

they are not pure Arabs andare tribeless.

I just told you what I know..to believe it is up to you.

One of my teachers once mentioned an arab scholar who wrote about being black..he was said to have written a poem detailing how peole like him were pure arabs..etc

this man lived long ago..cant remember his name and I didnt mention it earlier just because I dont have the proof for it.

Didnt we also hear that one of the pharaohs was black?
I wonder how being an indeginously black arab is hard to believe
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 8:29pm On Mar 06, 2013
sunboy: Yoruba - Lae 'means never'
Arabic - Laa

Yoruba- Wa o 'means come'
Arabic - Wa u

ta al is come in arabic. wa u? I never heard of that.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 8:33pm On Mar 06, 2013
I dont totally agree with op. some of the words dont tally at all.

amo-but??

the arabic I know has laakin as but.

maybe I.dont know enough yet..
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by kabiyesiii(m): 8:37pm On Mar 06, 2013
Days of the week in Yoruba:
AIKU - sunday
AJE - monday
IṢẸGUN - tuesday
ỌJỌRU - wednesday
ỌJỌBỌ - thursday
ẸTI - friday
ABAMẸTA - saturday

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by 4chi: 8:39pm On Mar 06, 2013
deols:

It is either you are lying or are not Yoruba.

the very popular gospel song, olori oko has in it a part that says-

fitila yi totan...

many christians call their pastors Alufa

and prayer has no other name than adura (from du'a) in Yoruba

.....he is correct

...he is right.

ofurufu means atmosphere and not sky
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:51pm On Mar 06, 2013
deols:

I just told you what I know..to believe it is up to you.

One of my teachers once mentioned an arab scholar who wrote about being black..he was said to have written a poem detailing how peole like him were pure arabs..etc

this man lived long ago..cant remember his name and I didnt mention it earlier just because I dont have the proof for it.

Didnt we also hear that one of the pharaohs was black?
I wonder how being an indeginously black arab is hard to believe

PLEASE IM SICK OF THIS PROOFLESS, ILLOGICAL AND INEXPERIENCED CHILDISH STORIES! angry angry angry angry

HAVE YOU BEEN TO ARABIA? HAVE YOU LIVED AMONG THE BEDU? NO! WELL I HAVE! I HAVE BEEN TO MOST GULF KHALEEJI COUNTRIES AND I HAVE TRAVELLED THERE!

NO TRIBE HAS BLACK ARABS! THOSE THAT DO ARE MOSTLY MIXED DESCENT IN THE GULF!

WHAT HAS THE PHARAOH GOT TO WITH ARABS? HUH?

YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE NUBIAN PHARAOHS OF MEROE! OBVIOUSLY THEY WERE DARKER SKINNED! BUT NOT THE EGYPTIAN PHARAOHS OF THE UPPER NILE! THOSE WERE BROWN SKINNED!

AND ANYWAYS WHY ARE YOU BRINING RACISM INTO ALL OF THIS! IT IS TRIBE THAT MATTERS! NOT SKIN COLOUR! angry angry angry angry

Bedu Arab Tribal Camp of the famous Sheikh Abu Tayi of the Huwaytat Tribal Confederation.

The Sheikh (Chief) sits 2nd from the right. The man standing on the far left and the man standing middle seated man are both slave retainers of the Sheikh of African descent. The Bedu Tribal Arabs generally do not discriminate based on skin colour and slaves are generally treated as part of the household and even rise to high ranks.

One famous example is related in the account of Wilfred Thesiger where the Governor of a province of Saudi Arabia and a relative of the Al Saud King arose and himself seated the old family slave next to him, when he entered and dished out food with his own hands for him. another account is the rude treatment received by the British Explorer and his Bedu companion by the Chief Governor of Southern Omans slave who was in a high ranking position.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 8:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
kabiyesiii: Days of the week in Yoruba:
AIKU - sunday
AJE - monday
IṢEGUN - tuesday
ỌJỌRU - wednesday
ỌJỌBỌ - thursday
ẸTI - friday
ABAMẸTA - saturday

when did this start?

when did yoruba writing start?
what is the role of Ajayi Crowther, the man who translated the bible to yoruba in Yoruba writing. better learn your history.

alaruba, alamisi etc are what Yorubas use for their everyday communication. Only people who learnt yoruba at school know what you wrote above. they had to coin those words.they are not indigenous ways to it.

it is like asking a market woman what irindegbeta is. she would ask you to tell her how many 'apo' that is.

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 9:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

PLEASE IM SICK OF THIS PROOFLESS, ILLOGICAL AND INEXPERIENCED CHILDISH STORIES! angry angry angry angry

HAVE YOU BEEN TO ARABIA? HAVE YOU LIVED AMONG THE BEDU? NO! WELL I HAVE! I HAVE BEEN TO MOST GULF KHALEEJI COUNTRIES AND I HAVE TRAVELLED THERE!

NO TRIBE HAS BLACK ARABS! THOSE THAT DO ARE MOSTLY MIXED DESCENT IN THE GULF!

WHAT HAS THE PHARAOH GOT TO WITH ARABS? HUH?

YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE NUBIAN PHARAOHS OF MEROE! OBVIOUSLY THEY WERE DARKER SKINNED! BUT NOT THE EGYPTIAN PHARAOHS OF THE UPPER NILE! THOSE WERE BROWN SKINNED!

AND ANYWAYS WHY ARE YOU BRINING RACISM INTO ALL OF THIS! IT IS TRIBE THAT MATTERS! NOT SKIN COLOUR! angry angry angry angry

I didnt mean to be racist. I am not racist. My initial post was in response to people talking about the migrations. As I cld not make a quote of the exact post, I just added it 2 d response I gave to shymmex. you had a choice to ignore but went ahead to get involved in such a childish...
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by dayokanu(m): 9:04pm On Mar 06, 2013
deols:

when did this start?

what is the role of Ajayi Crowther, the man who translated the bible to yoruba in Yoruba writing. better learn your history.

alaruba, alamisi etc are what Yorubas use for their everyday communication. Only people who learnt yoruba at school know what you wrote above. they had to coin those words.they are not indigenous ways to it.

it is like asking a market woman what irindegbeta is. she would ask you to tell her how many 'apo' that is.

I think Alaruba and Alamisi are for those part who were in close contact with Fulanis.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:06pm On Mar 06, 2013
deols:

I didnt mean to be racist. I am not racist. My initial post was in response to people talking about the migrations. As I cld not make a quote of the exact post, I just added it 2 d response I gave to shymmex. you had a choice to ignore but went ahead to get involved in such a childish...

I cannot ignore racist and wrong information. that is unacceptable.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by seunajia: 9:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
740megawatts:

Nice analysis. However, I still believe Yorubaland experienced two major migrations into her territory. The very first one happened around 500 BC. The Hyksos wars happened around 1800 BC to 1500 BC. The wars were responsible for the migration of Bantus and consequently, the spread of the Bantu language into central, East and Southern Africa. No research has shown that the Bantu migratory groups settled in Nigeria although it is generally agreed that they passed through Eastern Nigeria and Western Cameroun. Therefore, I very much doubt if the Hyksos war contributed to the language evolution in Yorubaland. I believe the first major group that migrated into Yorubaland first settled somewhere near Lokoja area around 500 BC, dominating the original inhabitants. They brought with them mainly religious worship and some form of rulership. The later migration happened between 1-1000 AD. This period, I believe, belongs to the Oduduwa dynasty. I may be wrong though but I believe at least two migrations occured.

Wow. I should come under your wing for some tutelage smiley

Now,
Some things are deductible from all the above:

1. The Yorubas migrated from the "East" (Arabia, Sudan, Etophia)

2. The Yorubas had contact with "Arabs" or were some Arab tribe.

3. The migration did not take place all at once. The Ajase story tallies here and even the Ijebus'. They also met people (Aborigines)! According to Prof. E.A Ayandele(1st VC University of Calabar)'s: "The Ijebu of Yorubaland"

4. The oral tradition that sb fell from the sky is fabu grin

Prof. S.O Biobaku wrote: The Yoruba Myth which makes Ile-Ife the cradle of mankind is NOT corroborated by traditional historians who are the hereditary royal bards, drummers and cymballists. Their accounts also vary in important particulars, but they have carefully preserved their versions nonetheless. They say the Yoruba sprang from Lamurudu, who was one of the Kings of Mecca. His offsprings were Oduduwa, the ancestor of the Yoruba and the kings of Gogobiri and Kukawa, in what they loosely call "Hausa country". Although the date of the period when the Yoruba were in Mecca or Arabia is never given because it is not known, the traditional accounts of their exodus puts it at a considerable time well after the advent of Islam.

Oduduwa, the heir to the throne of Mecca, had relapsed into idolatry during his father Lamurudu's reign and his apostacy was spreading fast. This lead to a civil war which the muslim party were victorious. Lamurudu, the King, was slain; his children and those who sympathized with them were expelled from Mecca. The two princes, who became rulers of Gogobiri and Kukawa respectively, ventured westwards; Oduduwa went eastwards. He finally settled down with his followers at Ile-Ife. A well know legend also records that the Yoruba were molested by the other people during their early days at Ile-Ife. Igbos, disguised to look life terrible demigods, raided the new settlement repeatedly for several years. The people were perplexed and called upon their gods but to no avail. Then a woman of great beauty and virtue, Moremi, determined to do what she could to deliver her country from the Igbo Menace. She vowed to the deity of Esinmirin stream that she would offer to the god the highest sacrifice she could afford if he assisted her to carry out her plan succesfully. Her plan was to allow the raiders to capture her during their next raid with a view to learning their secret through living among them. Accordingly, she was caught and was taken to the Igbo country where she was allocated to their leader among his booty and made one of his wives. She quickly gained his confidence and soon extracted from him the secret of the weird appearance of the Igbo raiders. She learnt that those who were objects of great terror to her people were mere men, who covered themselves from head to foot with grass and bamboo fibres in order to make them appear super human. She learnt that they could withstand men who rushed amongst them with lighted torches.
She escaped from the Igbo country, having completed her mission, and needless to say that the next Igbo raid was their last. Moremi, delighted with her success, went to the Esunmirin stream to honour her vow to the god. She offered a goat, a ram, even a bullock; but the god would not accept. Then she found out from the priests that the only sacrifice the god would accept was her only son, Oluorogbo, and, like the heroine she was, she gave her son to the deity. The Ife bewailed her loss; theu acclaimed and honored her during her life-time and deified her after her death.

You won't know how much you are tasking me. I am totally on sth else now. I have had to abandon it a bit just to skim through these books. I wish we could pause this topic. Unfortunately, negro_ntns and the other pros like yourself are not here.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:20pm On Mar 06, 2013
seunajia:

Wow. I should come under your wing for some tutelage smiley

Now,
Some things are deductible from all the above:

1. The Yorubas migrated from the "East" (Arabia, Sudan, Etophia)

2. The Yorubas had contact with "Arabs" or were some Arab tribe.

3. The migration did not take place all at once. The Ajase story tallies here and even the Ijebus'. They also met people (Aborigines)! According to Prof. E.A Ayandele(1st VC University of Calabar)'s: "The Ijebu of Yorubaland"

4. The oral tradition that sb fell from the sky is fabu grin

Prof. S.O Biobaku wrote: The Yoruba Myth which makes Ile-Ife the cradle of mankind is NOT corroborated by traditional historians who are the hereditary royal bards, drummers and cymballists. Their accounts also vary in important particulars, but they have carefully preserved their versions nonetheless. They say the Yoruba sprang from Lamurudu, who was one of the Kings of Mecca. His offsprings were Oduduwa, the ancestor of the Yoruba and the kings of Gogobiri and Kukawa, in what they loosely call "Hausa country". Although the date of the period when the Yoruba were in Mecca or Arabia is never given because it is not known, the traditional accounts of their exodus puts it at a considerable time well after the advent of Islam.

Oduduwa, the heir to the throne of Mecca, had relapsed into idolatry during his father Lamurudu's reign and his apostacy was spreading fast. This lead to a civil war which the muslim party were victorious. Lamurudu, the King, was slain; his children and those who sympathized with them were expelled from Mecca. The two princes, who became rulers of Gogobiri and Kukawa respectively, ventured westwards; Oduduwa went eastwards. He finally settled down with his followers at Ile-Ife. A well know legend also records that the Yoruba were molested by the other people during their early days at Ile-Ife. Igbos, disguised to look life terrible demigods, raided the new settlement repeatedly for several years. The people were perplexed and called upon their gods but to no avail. Then a woman of great beauty and virtue, Moremi, determined to do what she could to deliver her country from the Igbo Menace. She vowed to the deity of Esinmirin stream that she would offer to the god the highest sacrifice she could afford if he assisted her to carry out her plan succesfully. Her plan was to allow the raiders to capture her during their next raid with a view to learning their secret through living among them. Accordingly, she was caught and was taken to the Igbo country where she was allocated to their leader among his booty and made one of his wives. She quickly gained his confidence and soon extracted from him the secret of the weird appearance of the Igbo raiders. She learnt that those who were objects of great terror to her people were mere men, who covered themselves from head to foot with grass and bamboo fibres in order to make them appear super human. She learnt that they could withstand men who rushed amongst them with lighted torches.
She escaped from the Igbo country, having completed her mission, and needless to say that the next Igbo raid was their last. Moremi, delighted with her success, went to the Esunmirin stream to honour her vow to the god. She offered a goat, a ram, even a bullock; but the god would not accept. Then she found out from the priests that the only sacrifice the god would accept was her only son, Oluorogbo, and, like the heroine she was, she gave her son to the deity. The Ife bewailed her loss; theu acclaimed and honored her during her life-time and deified her after her death.

You won't know how much you are tasking me. I am totally on sth else now. I have had to abandon it a bit just to skim through these books. I wish we could pause this topic. Unfortunately, negro_ntns and the other pros like yourself are not here.

[size=16pt]HEY STOP SPREADING LIES! WHAT A BULLSH!T ! IDOLATORY WAS A PART OF YORUBA RELIGION SINCE THE DAYS OF THE APES AND EVOLUTION! SHUT YOUR CRAP!

I HAVE SPOKEN TO THE CHIEF BABALAWO OF LAGOS AND HE HAS CLEARLY STATED THAT ODUDUA DID NOT COME FROM MECCA AND ANYONE SPREADING SUCH LIES SHOULD BE PUNISHED! [/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by seunajia: 9:36pm On Mar 06, 2013
And the most disheartening thing about all this is that there are no online versions of these works or some others. And not many people even care to dig up research papers bordering on this very important topic.

*Modified

Pagan 9ja or whatever you call yourself, I think you need to bust a nut or sth. You behave like a freak. Using large fonts and "shouting". What da fried fish?

I told you once, these men -- 1. Denham Clapperton and Oudney: "Narratives of Travels and Discoveries in Northern and Central Africa" 1822, 2. J. O Lucas: "Religion of the Yoruba", 3. Leo Froebenius: "Voice of Africa" 1913, 4. Samuel Johnson, 5. Meek: "The Nothern tribes of Nigeria" Vol. 1, p.72, 6. Prof. E.A Ayandele(1st VC University of Calabar): "The Ijebu of Yorubaland" and mostly that of 6. Prof. S.O Biobaku (Former VC Unilag): "A window on Nigeria" and "The origin of the Yoruba" -- are historians who have spent a considerable number years of their lives doing research. If you are in any way better or know better than them, do your own research, subject it to peer to peer and publish it let's drink from your fountain. Else kindly STFU!
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:37pm On Mar 06, 2013
seunajia: And the most disheartening thing about all these is that there are online version of these works or some others. And not many people even care to dig up research papers bordering on this very important topic.

Pagan 9ja or whatever you call yourself, I think you need to bust a nut or sth. You behave like a freak. Using large fonts and "shouting". What da fried fish?

I told you once, these men -- 1. Denham Clapperton and Oudney: "Narratives of Travels and Discoveries in Northern and Central Africa" 1822, 2. J. O Lucas: "Religion of the Yoruba", 3. Leo Froebenius: "Voice of Africa" 1913, 4. Samuel Johnson, 5. Meek: "The Nothern tribes of Nigeria" Vol. 1, p.72, 6. Prof. E.A Ayandele(1st VC University of Calabar): "The Ijebu of Yorubaland" and mostly that of 6. Prof. S.O Biobaku (Former VC Unilag): "A window on Nigeria" and "The origin of the Yoruba" -- are historians who have spent a considerable number years of their lives doing research. If you are in any way better or know better than them, do your own research, subject it to peer to peer and publish it let's drink from your fountain. Else kindly STFU!

[size=32pt]GO DO A GENETIC TEST AND THEN COME TALK TO ME. MUMU! [/size] angry angry angry angry
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by FIRSTFOCUS: 9:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
Is it not possible they borrowed †ђξ words from Yoruba too?
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by seguun(m): 9:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
kabiyesiii: Days of the week in Yoruba:
AIKU - sunday
AJE - monday
IṢEGUN - tuesday
ỌJỌRU - wednesday
ỌJỌBỌ - thursday
ẸTI - friday
ABAMẸTA - saturday
deols:

when did this start?

He is right about the yoruba days of the week. I think the alaruba alamisi etc you are talking about has its root from islam (arabic).
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by kennydee05(m): 10:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
tpia@:
most arabic words in yoruba language are probably of hausa origin.
Those arabic words in Yoruba that you thought were Hausa origin were actually Arabic (Larubawa people )... Some of those Hausa words are of Arabic origin!!!!
D̶̲̥̅̊ arabic words came to D̶̲̥̅̊ Hausa land through their early contact with D̶̲̥̅̊ larubawas that on rerligion mission while those arabics words came to D̶̲̥̅̊ Yoruba land through D̶̲̥̅̊ early Hausas that trnsacts business in Yoruba land

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Alaafin of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Joins His Ancestors At 83 / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / The Cost Of Marrying An Mbaise Imo State Woman

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.