Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,314 members, 7,819,069 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic (72285 Views)

Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List / Yoruba Words That Have Several Meanings / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by NOLONGTIN1(m): 10:04pm On Mar 06, 2013
Actually Most of the words mentioned have no resemblance whatsoever
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Remii(m): 10:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
People should get educated and forget sentiments, even English has many words borrowed from other languages such as German, French , Spanish etc. Things that are not original to a location they don't have names for them, they have to improvise. What is Yoruba for Television, Radio etc. What is English for o yi mu simi., E ku ile etc.

Even the word Yoruba is said to be from Yaro Uba (children of certain Uba from Hausa description.)
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by seunajia: 10:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
LMAO. He asked the "Chief Babalawo" of Lagos...grin
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Dsecret: 10:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
Big thumps up to all the contributors on this trend especially to dos have have painted and elaborated the Yoruba language on a brighter side.Like som1 rightly said that this kind of study shud not b left ALONE with d whites,(who probably can't speak d language),but will come out and present a bogus paper (research) on d topic.Just to buttress my point 'they said i.e the WHITES that MONGO-PARK discovered the RIVER NIGER' as if he was the first to set eyes on dat river.The river that d indigenous people av bin living on 4 ages.We should av a say and input into any research on our ancestry.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 11:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
deols:
this is like the most ignorant post on NL ever.

The prophet isnt the first arab.

and there were and are still black arabs even in the middle east of today. some are in Qatar..Only sure of those.

Just as your response is the most ret.arded ever!!

Did you read the post from the muslim guy that I responded to before quoting me

And can you define who an arab is and did people who lived in the arabian pennisula back then call themselves arabs

Once you can answer those two questions, I'll explain to you how ignorant and dumb your post is...
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by DuduNegro: 12:37am On Mar 07, 2013
for 10 months this thread sat on just one page....and now in under 10hrs you all trooped in and multiplied it into many pages. wow, i salute nairaland o!!
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by babaowo: 12:53am On Mar 07, 2013
Yoruba tribes migrated from saudi arabia,when there is war to chase out all idolatory....... that's fact!
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:55am On Mar 07, 2013
babaowo: Yoruba tribes migrated from saudi arabia,when there is war to chase out all idolatory....... that's fact!

THAT IS FICTION! YALL ARE BANTUOID NOT ARAB SEMITIC! angry
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 3:55am On Mar 07, 2013
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 3:56am On Mar 07, 2013
dayokanu:

I think Alaruba and Alamisi are for those part who were in close contact with Fulanis.

I have been hearing people say those right from childhood and I lived in Ibadan.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 4:00am On Mar 07, 2013
shymexx:

Just as your response is the most ret.arded ever!!

Did you read the post from the muslim guy that I responded to before quoting me

And can you define who an arab is and did people who lived in the arabian pennisula back then call themselves arabs

Once you can answer those two questions, I'll explain to you how ignorant and dumb your post is...

according to wikipedia-

Arab people , also known as Arabs ( Arabic : ﻋﺮﺏ , ʿarab ), are a
panethnicity[14] primarily living in the Arab world , which is located in
Western Asia and North Africa . They are identified as such on one or
more of genealogical , linguistic , or cultural grounds, [15] with tribal
affiliations, and intra-tribal relationships playing an important part of
Arab identity. [16]

now, explain how the prophet was the first arab..did the genealogical tree start from him? was he the first to speak arabic?, ...
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by dayokanu(m): 5:14am On Mar 07, 2013
deols:

I have been hearing people say those right from childhood and I lived in Ibadan.

Oyo , Kwara and parts of Ogun and Osun are predominantly Moslem and have a lot of contact with Fulanis

People from Ondo, Ekiti and parts of Ogun(Egba) and Osun (Ife-Ijesha) might never have heard that word

I know it also because my grandparents lived in the North and typical Ogbomoso people always had contacts with Fulanis through trade
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by kabiyesiii(m): 5:42am On Mar 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
I HAVE SPOKEN TO THE CHIEF BABALAWO OF LAGOS AND HE HAS CLEARLY STATED THAT ODUDUA DID NOT COME FROM MECCA AND ANYONE SPREADING SUCH LIES SHOULD BE PUNISHED!

PAGAN 9JA, the next time you meet Chief Babalawo of Lagos, make sure you ask for the meaning of ADO IWA
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by 740megawatts: 6:07am On Mar 07, 2013
seunajia:

Wow. I should come under your wing for some tutelage smiley

Now,
Some things are deductible from all the above:

1. The Yorubas migrated from the "East" (Arabia, Sudan, Etophia)

2. The Yorubas had contact with "Arabs" or were some Arab tribe.

3. The migration did not take place all at once. The Ajase story tallies here and even the Ijebus'. They also met people (Aborigines)!

Okay, your summarised points seem fine except the bolded where u need to consider that they were at least three stages of language progression in Yorubaland.

Firstly, I believe the first template of Yoruba language was built on the ancient Nilotic language which was used pre-500 BC. I believe the Yorubas, Igbos, Igalas and perhaps Edo, spoke this language. How did I come to this conclusion? There's another Nilote group in Kenya called the LUO tribe that I believe broke up from this same group at around the same time with Yorubas and other groups. Another Kenyan group called LUHYA have a similar and suspected language form. You see, these groups are identified by the strong use of O- and A- in many of their words. I believe the Yorubas, Igbos and Igalas broke off at some point about 2500 years ago from the Lokoja confluence area. The Igbo groups must have broke off first and then, Yoruba and Igala. Now, all Nilotic language groups came from Sudan or Upper Egypt, near the present day Juba.

Secondly, the next influence came around 500 BC-200 BC. Like I earlier said, this group arrived with the Assyrians who settled all over Northern Nigeria. In the North, a popular figure called Bayajidda came at this time. He is believed to be an Assyrian prince who ran from away from the rampaging Babylonians who had destroyed their Capital in Nineveh (reconstructed as Ile-Ife?). Bayajidda must have escaped death by whiskers and decided to leave his territory in the middle-east. The Assyrians are believed to have disappeared into historal timeline. Many of them were slaughtered, a few taken as slaves and some ran away into Africa. The Babylonians changed the political configuration in the middle-east back then and their influence was not matched, until the time of Alexander the Great. I believe this era brought in a lot of Canaanites (and perhaps Hebrew) slaves who ran away with their Assyrian masters from Nineveh into West Africa. The Assyrians in Northern Nigeria called themselves Asshur, this is now corrupted to HAUSA today. In Yorubaland, the Canaanite migrants fused the existing culture with their religion. Hence, many religious words such were introduced around this era. These guys were not Arabs, pls take note!

The last language progression, I think occurred from 1 AD to 1000 AD. By then, the Yoruba language must have been established and people started spreading out into the hinterland. I also believe this was when Oduduwa arrived. A lot of the Islamic influence brought into the Yoruba language started from this period too. You'll notice that many of these said Arabic words are commonly used around the Oyo, Ikirun, Ejigbo and Ibadan axis. These areas were influenced by the Fulani colonisation to some extent.

Now, I must conclude that Yorubas, as with most WEST-AFRICAN groups, are not BANTUS. We were never BANTUOID and we share no similarities with the modern BANTUS, except that we are all Black Africans. But I believe the ancient Yoruba ancestors once interacted with the ancient Bantu ancestors while in Lower Egypt at a point in time in ancient history. I would like you to read this thread, you might get some information there https://www.nairaland.com/1092081/might-want-know-yorubas-part/2.

I would also like you to read the German Historian, Dierk Lange's recent paper on Yoruba's origin, http://dierklange.com/pdf/LOST_TRIBES_OF_ISRAEL.pdf
He has written a lot on the Canaanite connection in Yorubaland and has done some amazing research. You can check his other journals on www.dierklange.com. Cheers!
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by 740megawatts: 6:16am On Mar 07, 2013
dayokanu:

Oyo , Kwara and parts of Ogun and Osun are predominantly Moslem and have a lot of contact with Fulanis

People from Ondo, Ekiti and parts of Ogun(Egba) and Osun (Ife-Ijesha) might never have heard that word

I know it also because my grandparents lived in the North and typical Ogbomoso people always had contacts with Fulanis through trade

You are right, bro. I didn't even read this response before posting mine. I equally agree with you.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by kabiyesiii(m): 6:23am On Mar 07, 2013
babaowo: Yoruba tribes migrated from saudi arabia,when there is war to chase out all idolatory....... that's fact!

The Saudi's idols are still there. The Kaaba is the repository of these idols and the pre-eminent idol is the Black Stone at Kaaba. As a muslim, you will bow down to kiss this baba dudu stone. Is that not "idol" worshiping?

This is a meteorite that fell from the sky, which the Arabs had been worshiping ever since, hundreds of years before Muhammad was born. Arabs, among others, preserve their idols but are telling you to get rid of yours. Who is mumu? Japanese, Chinese & Koreans are too smart for that.

By the way, the Russians are now selling their meteorites, same Black Stone, just fell from the sky some weeks ago. Fresh, 21st century Kaaba quality. Would that not be a personal one to have instead of the saliva galore one at Kaaba?

Religion is the cocaine of the ignorant. Unfortunately, many of whom are the educated blacks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by miketayo(m): 7:34am On Mar 07, 2013
Oduduwa d father of Yoruba was from mecca wasn't he?
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 8:13am On Mar 07, 2013
deols:
according to wikipedia-

Arab people , also known as Arabs ( Arabic : ﻋﺮﺏ , ʿarab ), are a
panethnicity[14] primarily living in the Arab world , which is located in
Western Asia and North Africa . They are identified as such on one or
more of genealogical , linguistic , or cultural grounds, [15] with tribal
affiliations, and intra-tribal relationships playing an important part of
Arab identity. [16]

now, explain how the prophet was the first arab..did the genealogical tree start from him? was he the first to speak arabic?, ...

Read this:

Arabic is a name applied to the descendants of the Classical Arabic language of the 6th century AD. This includes both the literary language and varieties of Arabic spoken in a wide arc of territory stretching across the Middle East and North Africa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_language

^^^^If the people called Arabs are identified by linguistic and cultural backgrounds(with language/linguistic being the primary reason) - and the language started in 600AD... now tell me when the first "Arab" walked this planet

This just common sense...Your ignorance and knowledge of history has been exposed... Just go and sin no more...
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 9:03am On Mar 07, 2013
shymexx:

Read this:

^^^^If the people called Arabs are identified by linguistic and cultural backgrounds(with language/linguistic being the primary reason) - and the language started in 600AD... now tell me when the first "Arab" walked this planet

This just common sense...Your ignorance and knowledge of history has been exposed... Just go and sin no more...

heheh..are u saying the prophet's father wasn't an arab man and his language wasnt arabic?

common sense, man

talking of the classical arabic of the 600AD, I understand what that means perfectly well. I doubt that you do.

it is like saying the English people before shakespeare werent English because he created new words and brought a new dimension to how english was written and spoken.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 9:09am On Mar 07, 2013
dayokanu:

I agree with you. Those words, even if from the fulanis are originally Arabic.

I remember we did ayalo ede in secondary school. My teacher included these to be from Arabic(i think)
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 9:14am On Mar 07, 2013
kabiyesiii:

The Saudi's idols are still there. The Kaaba is the repository of these idols and the pre-eminent idol is the Black Stone at Kaaba. As a muslim, you will bow down to kiss this baba dudu stone. Is that not "idol" worshiping?

This is a meteorite that fell from the sky, which the Arabs had been worshiping ever since, hundreds of years before Muhammad was born. Arabs, among others, preserve their idols but are telling you to get rid of yours. Who is mumu? Japanese, Chinese & Koreans are too smart for that.

By the way, the Russians are now selling their meteorites, same Black Stone, just fell from the sky some weeks ago. Fresh, 21st century Kaaba quality. Would that not be a personal one to have instead of the saliva galore one at Kaaba?

Religion is the cocaine of the ignorant. Unfortunately, many of whom are the educated blacks.

argh..hehe..i laugh in arabic.

the kaaba was built by prophet Ibrahim and his son, Ismail.

Taking over the place by the Muslims was only natural since the reason for its construction was for the purpose of worshipping the one true God, Allah.

1 Like

Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 07, 2013
deols:
heheh..are u saying the prophet's father wasn't an arab man and his language wasnt arabic?

common sense, man

How could his father be an Arab when there was no one called an Arab at that point in history

That's like saying someone that existed when the vandals lived in present day UK was English, when there was nothing called England nor a language called English at that point in history Common sense! undecided
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by maclatunji: 9:26am On Mar 07, 2013
740megawatts:

I've got a little problem with Prof. Biobaku's excerpt from Samuel Johnson. Firstly, who was Nimrod (also Lamurudu)? Nimrod as I know, lived at least over three thousand years (3000 BC) before the advent of Islam. So, how is it possible that Yorubas retained their language (and religion) for three thousand years? That theory is very flawed and inconsistent. The most likely theory of Yoruba origin timeline is as thus:

1. The NOK Culture era preceded the pre-500 BC times in Yoruba land. This era was also the era of the Nilotes, Khoisans and Ethiopians, the very first groups identified as the forerunners of the African race. The early Yoruba groups must have been migrants from Sudan. This group must have been an homogeneous group consisting of Yorubas, Igbos, Igala and perhaps, Edo. I suspect they are Nilotes who once lived along the great White Nile in modern day South Sudan. I suspect the group splintered at some time in this history timeline.

2. The post-500 BC (over 2500 yrs ago) era witnessed as influx of Assyrians, Canaanites and some Hebrews into West Africa. Many of these people were running away from the rampaging army of the Babylonians. Please, check the Hausa history (also Ashur), Kanemi (or Borno history) and Oyo Empire history. This subject has been thoroughly dissected by the German Historian on his research on the Yoruba, Hausa and Kanemi empires. As a matter of fact, many Hausa native names have Assyrian roots. Infact, I just discovered that Aminu was actually an ancient Assyrian King over 2500 yrs ago, check this:

" Aminu was the son of Ilu-kabkabu, Ila-kabkabi of Yazkur-el, Jazkur-ilu of Yakmeni, Jakmeni of Yakmesi, Jakmesi of Ilu-Mer, Ilu-Mer of Hayani, Hajanu of Samani,Samanu of Hale, Hale of Apiašal, Apiašal of Ušpia" - http://www.livius.org/k/kinglist/assyrian.html

if you check that website, you'll see a lot of names that resemble modern Hausa names. But they are all ancient Assyrian names.

3. Thirdly, the post-1 AD era had some more influx of people. This is when I suspect Oduduwa arrived Yorubaland. Most research points to the fact that Oduduwa met a civilisation on ground when he arrived Yorubaland.

****The above is my personal research and understanding. There are many consistent researchers on this subject on Nairaland. I would like Negrontns, amor4ce and Tony Spike to examine my postulation. I don't mind inputs from other contributors. Please, no abuses please. Thanks

Aminu is a corrupted form of Al-Amin which is a title of Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by maclatunji: 9:26am On Mar 07, 2013
740megawatts:

I've got a little problem with Prof. Biobaku's excerpt from Samuel Johnson. Firstly, who was Nimrod (also Lamurudu)? Nimrod as I know, lived at least over three thousand years (3000 BC) before the advent of Islam. So, how is it possible that Yorubas retained their language (and religion) for three thousand years? That theory is very flawed and inconsistent. The most likely theory of Yoruba origin timeline is as thus:

1. The NOK Culture era preceded the pre-500 BC times in Yoruba land. This era was also the era of the Nilotes, Khoisans and Ethiopians, the very first groups identified as the forerunners of the African race. The early Yoruba groups must have been migrants from Sudan. This group must have been an homogeneous group consisting of Yorubas, Igbos, Igala and perhaps, Edo. I suspect they are Nilotes who once lived along the great White Nile in modern day South Sudan. I suspect the group splintered at some time in this history timeline.

2. The post-500 BC (over 2500 yrs ago) era witnessed as influx of Assyrians, Canaanites and some Hebrews into West Africa. Many of these people were running away from the rampaging army of the Babylonians. Please, check the Hausa history (also Ashur), Kanemi (or Borno history) and Oyo Empire history. This subject has been thoroughly dissected by the German Historian on his research on the Yoruba, Hausa and Kanemi empires. As a matter of fact, many Hausa native names have Assyrian roots. Infact, I just discovered that Aminu was actually an ancient Assyrian King over 2500 yrs ago, check this:

" Aminu was the son of Ilu-kabkabu, Ila-kabkabi of Yazkur-el, Jazkur-ilu of Yakmeni, Jakmeni of Yakmesi, Jakmesi of Ilu-Mer, Ilu-Mer of Hayani, Hajanu of Samani,Samanu of Hale, Hale of Apiašal, Apiašal of Ušpia" - http://www.livius.org/k/kinglist/assyrian.html

if you check that website, you'll see a lot of names that resemble modern Hausa names. But they are all ancient Assyrian names.

3. Thirdly, the post-1 AD era had some more influx of people. This is when I suspect Oduduwa arrived Yorubaland. Most research points to the fact that Oduduwa met a civilisation on ground when he arrived Yorubaland.

****The above is my personal research and understanding. There are many consistent researchers on this subject on Nairaland. I would like Negrontns, amor4ce and Tony Spike to examine my postulation. I don't mind inputs from other contributors. Please, no abuses please. Thanks

Aminu is a corrupted form of Al-Amin which is a title of Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deols(f): 9:34am On Mar 07, 2013
shymexx:

How could his father be an Arab when there was no one called an Arab at that point in history

That's like saying someone that existed when the vandals lived in present day UK was English, when there was nothing called England nor a language called English at that point in history Common sense! undecided

check my modified post.

they were arabs. even in ahadiths(collections of the sayings, deeds and silent approvals of the prophet) people were reffered to as arabs. you would find words like bedouin arabs..to even differenciate the villagers from the city dwellers.

also in d qur'an, Several verses point to the reasons why the holy book was revealed in arabic. If the language didnt exist before then, there would be no need to specify that.

one of those reasons was for those at the time of revelation, to understand the message of the qur'an. if it wasnt a language they knew,what was there to understand?
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Nobody: 10:13am On Mar 07, 2013
deols:
check my modified post.

they were arabs. even in ahadiths(collections of the sayings, deeds and silent approvals of the prophet) people were reffered to as arabs. you would find words like bedouin arabs..to even differenciate the villagers from the city dwellers.

also in d qur'an, Several verses point to the reasons why the holy book was revealed in arabic. If the language didnt exist before then, there would be no need to specify that.

one of those reasons was for those at the time of revelation, to understand the message of the qur'an. if it wasnt a language they knew,what was there to understand?

This debate is getting redundant now...

I'll conclude by saying that the arabic language has semitic(aramaic, arabic, and hebrew) origins and it originated from somewhere in central/east Africa... However, modern day arabs/classical-arabic started in 600AD... So, there's no way Oduduwa would've been an arab nor did Yoruba borrow any word from arabic, end of story...

Ciao!
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by tpia5: 11:09am On Mar 07, 2013
Back then they were known by their individual tribes.

They didnt get united under the general term arab until after Islam was introduced to the peninsula i think.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by tpia5: 11:18am On Mar 07, 2013
I doubt kabiyesii is yoruba.

Even the choice of moniker is suspicious, because no proper yoruba person will be calling himself that unless something is wrong somewhere, most likely mental issues.

And why is he lying so blatantly with that list?

Its very annoying when people who are supposed to be learners start trying to teach what they have no knowledge of.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by tpia5: 11:28am On Mar 07, 2013
KDULAR: It is well known by the Ijebus that prior to their last migration from a place called "WADAI" ( still present in Sudan) to the present place ( capital at Ijebu Ode), they were initially native to northern Ethiopia and initial migration was as a result of Islamic Jihad movement which exiled many people. During the course of the migration, they were drawn and indeed followed the path of an existing personality who as well migrated from same goegraphical area due to the movement ( Jihad) and settled beyond deep i to the rain forest. Indeed the area was said to be regarded as the Yar-ba country.

Not sure why everybody prefers to ignore the fact that there were mass movements of people due to wars and conquests.
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by Mhomies: 12:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
Just wondering why Sneeze is "sin" in Yoruba and Yawn is "yan" and also why Crocodile is sometimes called "Akurakuda" in Yoruba. Can we trace the roots to the UK because I believe people were sneezing & yawning at least before the Colonial invasion. grin grin grin
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by deenlight: 3:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
deols: the other words I am familiar with are

*shariah(it means punishmentt in Yoruba). it is common to hear, e da sharia fun..which means punish him

*al asr- is d time for the asr prayer and yorubas call that alaasari.

*al khamis is thursday..Yorubas say alamisi

*yaoum l jum'ah is ojo jimo

*al arbia' is alaruba

* etc

it has to do with the sahara trade routes as well as Islam among indigenous Yorubas

The correct yoruba name for days are
Monday - ojo aje
Tuesday - ojo isegun
Wednesday - ojo ru
Thursday - ojo bo
Friday - ojo eti
Saturday - ojo Abameta
Sunday - ojo iku
Re: Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic by belltwelve(m): 3:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
Interesting. It is possible. After all, Igbo words also has great similarities with Japanese words. Check out thess findings by Igbodefender.com
Source: http://www.igbodefender.com/blog/2012/07/25/interesting-similarities-of-the-spellings-of-igbo-and-anglicized-japanese-words/

Adachi- Japanese name
Adachi- Igbo name

Adachi-ku- Japanese city
Adachukwu- Igbo name

Obuchi- Japanese surname
Obuchi- Igbo surname

Madoka- Japanese name
Maduka- Igbo name

Chinda- Japanese surname
Chinda- Igbo surname

Obi- Japanese embroidered sash worn for martial arts
Obi- Igbo word for heart

Chuka soba- Chinese style noodles popular in Japan
Chuka- Igbo name

Nanami- Japanese name
Nnamani- Igbo surname

Yutaka- Japanese surname
Utaka- Igbo surname

Chichi- Japanese island
Chichi- Igbo name

Atami- Japanese town
Atani- Igbo town

Naka- Japanese name
Odinaka- Igbo name

Osaka- Japanese town
Osaka- Igbo name

Mazuka- Japanese surname
Azuka- Igbo name

Iru- Japanese word meaning ‘to exist’
Iru- Igbo word meaning ‘face’

Ato- Japanese word meaning ‘after or later’
Ato- Igbo word meaning ‘three’

Ano- Japanese word meaning ‘say’
Ano- Igbo word meaning ‘four’

Ise- Japanese sacred place
Ise- Igbo word for ‘five’, and also an Igbo word of meaning ‘amen’, usually said during the sacred ceremony of kolanut breaking

Oka- Japanese word meaning ‘placed’
Oka- Igbo word meaning ‘corn’

Chikuwa – tubular roll of grilled fish paste. Also. ‘bamboo ring’ from the method traditionally used to mold it.
Chi ka uwa- this Igbo phrase roughly means, ‘ He that is in me (God) is greater than he that is in the world’

Ocha-Japanese word meaning ‘tea’
Ocha- Igbo word meaning ‘fair’

Naze- Japanese town
Nanze- Igbo town

Ishi- Japanese word meaning ‘intention’
Ishi- Igbo word meaning ‘head’

Obara- Japanese name
Obara- Igbo word meaning blood

Ka- Japanese word used to express doubt
Ka- Igbo word used to make a polite request

Ube- Japanese town
Ube- Igbo word for the pear fruit

Aki- Japanese town
Aki- Igbo word meaning ‘palm kernel’

Amagi- Japanese town
Ama gi- Igbo word meaning, ‘your town’

Ga- Japanese word used to connect nouns
Ga- Igbo word meaning ‘will’

Anan- Japanese town
Anam- Igbo town

Chiba- Japanese town
Chiba- Igbo word meaning, ‘to take something inside’

Chichibu- Japanese town
Chichi- Igbo name

Obinata- Japanese surname
Obinna- Igbo name

De- Japanese word meaning ‘at’
De- Igbo word meaning ‘to write’

Obata- Japanese Surname
Obatala- ancient Igbo surname: surname of the Anioma kings during the Moremi Era

Ogyu- Japanese surname
Ogwi- Igbo surname

Komachi- Japanese name
Komasirichi- Igbo name

Cho- Japanese word that means, ‘a person who is’
Cho- Igbo word that means ‘to look for’

Uke- Japanese word meaning ‘attack’
Uke- Igbo word meaning ‘evil attack’

Kara- Japanese word that means ‘after’
Kara- Igbo word used to express greatness

Na- Japanese word used to express command
Na- Igbo word meaning ‘and’

Uku- Japanese word meaning ‘to float’
Ukwu- Igbo word meaning ‘leg’

Ohba- Japanese surname
Obah- Igbo surname (Oba is also an ancient Igbo royal title: one of the titles of the Anioma kings during the Moremi era was Oba Igbo)

Obishi- Japanese surname
Obichia- Igbo surname (Obishi literally means ‘head king’ in Igbo language)

Nanka- Japanese word used to express disappointment
Nanka- Igbo town

Offu- Japanese word for ‘off’
Ofu- Igbo word for ‘one’

Ike- Japanese prefix used to strenghten an adjective
Ike- Igbo word meaning strenght

Ano- Japanese word meaning ‘say’
Ano- Igbo word meaning ‘four’

Aka- Japanese word for ‘red’
Aka- Igbo word for ‘hand’

Ara- Japanese feminine term
Ara- Igbo word meaning breast</

Onishi- Japanese name
Onyisi- Igbo word for leader

Asa- Japanese word meaning ‘morning’
Asa- Igbo word meaning ‘fine girl’

Asaato- Japanese word meaning ‘to asert’
Asato- Igbo word for ‘eight’

Ani- Japanese word meaning ‘brother-in-law’
Ani- Igbo word meaning ‘land’

Ouchi- Japanese surname
Oluchi- Igbo name

Ozu- Japanese surname
Ozumba Igbo name
Ozu- Igbo town

Akechi- Japanese surname
Nkechi- Igbo name

Nara- Japanese word meaning ‘if’
Nara- Igbo past tense of the word ‘go’

Asano- Japanese surname
Akanno- Igbo surname

Ne- Japanese word used to interject
Ne- Igbo word meaning ‘look’

Iro- Japanese word meaning ‘colour’
Iro- Igbo word meaning ‘outside’

Ebina- Japanese surname
Egbuna- Igbo surname
Obinna- Igbo name

Ibuka- Japanese surname
Ebuka- Igbo name

Sa- Japanese word used to explain obvious facts
Sa- Igbo word meaning ‘to answer’
Also the same word for ‘wash’

Ikina- Japanese surname
Ikenna- Igbo surname

Uboshita- Japanes surname
Uboshi ta- Igbo phrase meaning, ‘today’

Abutsu- Japanese name
Abutu- Igbo name

Umeki- Japanese surname
Umeh- Igbo surname

Ishioka- Japanese town
Isi oka- Igbo phrase meaning, ‘the cub of a corn plant’

Osumi- Japanese strait
Osumenyi- Igbo town

Neyagawa- Japanese town
Ne, ya a’gawa- Igbo phrase that roughly translates to ‘look he’s going.’

Obama- Japanese town
Obama- Igbo connected town in the Kalabari area of Nigeria

Ofunato- Japanese town
Ofunato- Igbo phrase that roughly means, ‘One and three’.

Oji- Japanese town
Oji- Igbo river, i.e Oji River

Tsujii- Japanese name
Osuji- Igbo name

Otsu- Japanese town
Otu- Igbo town

Ugo- Japanese town
Ugo- Igbo word that means, ‘eagle’.

Abukuma- Japanese river
Akuma- Igbo town

Asuka- Japanese town
Nsukka- Igbo town

Chuai- Japanese name
Chuka- Igbo name

Anato- Japanese town
Ani ato- Igbo phrase meaning ‘third land’

Aruku- Japanese word which means, ‘to walk’
Ilo Ukwu- Igbo word which means to limp

Nemuru- Japanese word for sleep
Laru- Igbo word for ‘sleep’

Kata- Japanese word for ‘shoulder’
Aka- Igbo word for ‘hand’

Omu-Japanese town
Omu- Igbo word for palm frond

Onagawa- Japanese town
Onagawa- Igbo phrase that roughly means,’ he/she is going’

Inuzuka- Japanese name
Izuka- Igbo word for ‘week’

Iheya- Japanese town
Ihe ya- Igbo phrase that means ‘his/her property’

Onomichi- Japanese town
Ichi/Nnewiichi- Igbo town

Hanawa- Japanese town
Ha nawa- Igbo phrase that roughly means,’ they should go home’

Azuchi- Japanese town
Azuka- Igbo name

Eitoku- Japanese name
Etukoku- Igbo name

Chikanatsu- Japanese name
Chikamatsu- Japanese name

Shika- Japanese word
Chika- Igbo name

To- Japanese word for ‘and’
To- Igbo word for ‘grow’

Kenji- Japanese name
Nkemjika- Igbo surname

Takumi- Japanese name
Akumi- Ancient name of the Igbos, currently used mainly in Afro America

Suru- Japanese word meaning to ‘die clothes using a wooden mold’
Suru- Igbo word for saying one has ‘washed clothes’

Chikafusa- Japanese name
Chikadibia- Igbo name

Be- Ancient Japanese word meaning community
Be- Igbo word meaning home

Ze- Japanese word that indicates assertion
Ze- Igbo word meaning ‘to avoid’

Zo- Japanese word that indicates assertion, but less forcefully than the word ‘ze’
Zo- Igbo word that means to ‘hide’

Amaya- Japanese name
Amala- Igbo name

Ayaka- Japanese name
Amaka- Igbo short form of the names Ndidi amaka and Chiamaka

Haruka- Japanese name
Aluka- Igbo short form of the name Akaluka

Aki- Japanese word meaning ‘emptiness’
Aki- Igbo word for ‘palm kernel’

Arata- Japanese name
Araka- Igbo surname

Hajime- Japanese name meaning, ‘beginning’
Ha ji me- Igbo phrase alluding to making or creating something

Note: the Japanese have two similar words for first son (Hachiro and Hachirou). Interestingly, the Igbos have two similar words for first son ( Diokpa and Diokpala). These Japanese and the Igbo words do not have similarity in sounds, but their identical structure suggests deep-seated similarities in the DNAs of both cultures.

Chiyo- Japanese name
Chio- Igbo short form of the name Chigbogu

Misakuchi- ancient Japanese religious festival
Igo chi/ Ilo chi- ancient Igbo religious festivals

Note:
According to Arimasa Kubo, a Japanese historian (in his article, “Israelites Came to Ancient Japan”), ‘People call this festival “the festival for Misakuchi-god”. “Misakuchi” might be “mi-isaku-chi.” “Mi” means “great,” “isaku” is most likely Isaac (the Hebrew word “Yitzhak”), and “chi” is something for the end of the word”. Looking at the two ancient Igbo religious festivals above, I think the ‘Chi’ at the end of the Japanese religious festival ‘Misakuchi’ refers to the same Igbo concept of Chi.

According to Elizabeth Isichei- in her book, ‘Igbo Worlds’- Igo Chi means, ‘to offer sacrifices to ones chi, while Ilo Chi means, ‘a period during which people reaffirm their association. with their ancestors, personal spirits, and the divinities associated with everyday activities’.

Oniye- Japanese word meaning religious sacrifice
Onyinye- Igbo word meaning religious offering.

Note:
According to Japanese historian, Arimasa Kubo, we can still see the custom of the wooden pillar called “oniye-bashira,” which means, “sacrifice-pillar.”

Today in Igboland, religious offering is called onyinye.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Alaafin of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Joins His Ancestors At 83 / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / The Cost Of Marrying An Mbaise Imo State Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.