Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,765 members, 7,955,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:37 PM

How Valuable Is Online Degree? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Valuable Is Online Degree? (22689 Views)

How Valuable Is Getting A Degree In Some Courses These Days / How Valuable Is A Masters Certificate From National Open University / How Valuable Is A Medical Lab Tech Certificate In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by GooseBaba: 10:15pm On May 26, 2012
You are what you make of your education... The idea that certificate determine your level of knowledge is a bit far fetched.

1 Like

Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by badaru1(m): 10:43pm On May 26, 2012
Online degree is not different from most universities in naija,when in most cases u have more than 500 students in a lecture room that is supposed to house 50 students. Most students attend classese here just to take attendance. So online degree for me is more better than what is obtainable in most schools here

7 Likes

Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Ultrame(m): 10:52pm On May 26, 2012
wiseguy: Easy Says who? Online degree is the most difficult. More difficult than being on campus. You wont understand till you start one. Very stressful. Infact forget about all the Owambe's by the time you start and pray to Almighty to give you the courage and determination to finish + make good grades. If you say its easy then you don't know exactly what it is. I am saying from experience. And its fully recognized both at home and abroad.

^^^^^^^^

Thank you my brother. December can't come fast enough for me. I can't remember the last time I had a 3-hour stretch sleep.

1 Like

Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 26, 2012
If you av an HND, wia do u start from, as regards upgrading to BSc via online degree stuff?
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by economia: 11:12pm On May 26, 2012
Blessing and grace of Allmigthy to every soul that type and read on this land. i surely know that many online degree worth more than thousands of nigeria campuses degrees. Can any body here on this blessed land tell me about UNIVERSITY OF LONDON INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMME?
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by bisi16(m): 11:42pm On May 26, 2012
wiseguy: Easy Says who? Online degree is the most difficult. More difficult than being on campus. You wont understand till you start one. Very stressful. Infact forget about all the Owambe's by the time you start and pray to Almighty to give you the courage and determination to finish + make good grades. If you say its easy then you don't know exactly what it is. I am saying from experience. And its fully recognized both at home and abroad.
Totally agree with u on dat..

wandeay: pls i want to ask a question, i nid answers, Will they write 'online' on the certificate? If not i tink its ok once you are serious
Nope! Only sure abt mine tho
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Kelskelly(m): 3:50am On May 27, 2012
bisi16:
Totally agree with u on dat..

Nope! Only sure abt mine tho

Good thing is that its only those who are involved know how difficult it actually is. Its much more difficult than getting a degree in Nigeria, where you can pay your way through. Online is not written on the cert at the end, good enough.
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Smartdoy(m): 7:04am On May 27, 2012
National Open University Of Nigeria Still setting the pace here
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Tofado: 7:47am On May 27, 2012
Hi everyone, my question is, the online study, on the certificate, A̲̅я̲ε they going to indicate online study there? Soory, I need answers
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by keleto(m): 7:51am On May 27, 2012
@tendercharles, check out unisa. Any student of university of south africa unisa here
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by mbhs139(m): 8:47am On May 27, 2012
jmoore: Who cares about who employs you. Do it and build your own empire!!!

You make sense die. That's the problem we us young person of now a-days. It is all about employment and everyday we are moving near our retirement, and not making plan for it. All we care is paid employment.

I have done so many courses; on-line, off-line, in-class, out-class and I don't have a CV and not planning of having one because I employed my self.

1 Like

Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Jentiliti: 8:54am On May 27, 2012
Can some one give some credible websites for online studies.
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Lisa1: 9:01am On May 27, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]This is after a trend of it, in online learning can without tension. In fact, it is a good thing
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by acason: 9:18am On May 27, 2012
Check up University of London International Programmes.The likes of Nelson Mandela,Wole Soyinka,Thabo Mbeki and others are alumni of the university.
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Hadone(m): 9:41am On May 27, 2012
Smartdoy: National Open University Of Nigeria Still setting the pace here
But graduation @ NOUN is the only wahala.
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by keleto(m): 10:31am On May 27, 2012
pls can you do a master programme in nigeriaa,with UNISA DEGREE?
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Nobody: 11:18am On May 27, 2012
ismhab: MY FRIEND DON'T WASTE UR TIME, NO BODY WILL RECOGNIZE UR CERTIFICATE IN NIGERIA.
It is a lie. There is no difference in d certitificate been issued. It is the same only that u need strong and reliable internet access 'cos there r lot of videos to stream.
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Nobody: 12:17pm On May 27, 2012
Guys, you need to do your research before spewing non - sense. Though I do not have an online degree, I know they are really hard to obtain and require x2 the study compared to brick and motar degrees
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by otinwa(m): 1:29pm On May 27, 2012
online university is the new tread globally. The first FREE ONLINE UNIVERSITY is University of the People, USA @ www.uopeople.org

Im currently a student (studing COMPUTER SCIENCE) and i must tell u that is not easy and cheap. When u apply, you must fill all required form online and answer 5 out of 7 essay. Thereafter, u will send your WAEC or NECO result (photocopy notarised) and a WAEC scratch card for confirmation of ur result online.

When u are finally accepted, u must sign an agreement form online. Then u have to take two compulsory orietation course:
1: skill for online learning- GS1101
2: English composition- 1 GS1101.
U must pass the two course to proceed for further studies.
Each course is split into week/unit with a topic from the syllabus weekly. U must enter class room ( called VLE - virtual learning environment), make entry in Learning journal what u read or learning everyday, read all reading assignment for the week, submit your weekly assignment, participate in the discussion forum and take self quiz.

There are strict with time and serious code of conduct. Once the week is gone, is gone, u cant go back again for late assignment. All the above contribute 70% and exam only takes 30%. U can see the different with brick and mortal university.

if there certificate is not recognised now, later 9ja will accept it. They are back by UN, HP, many foundation and great university. There lecturer are voluntary lecturers from other great university in the world. They accept student worldwide. The university is FREE TUITION for now but will collect $50 for application process fees soon. For more info visit www.uopeople.org

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by PHIPEX(m): 2:28pm On May 27, 2012
Online programmes are not easy and I don't think "Online" is written on the certificate, its like people who did Distance Learning. I know 2 people who are doing their Masters studies online and beside the stress in studing, It could be better for someone who has a fulltime job. People become Chartered in various professional bodies without stepping into a lecture hall so I don't see any difference between online degree and professional certification.
Tofado: Hi everyone, my question is, the online study, on the certificate, A̲̅я̲ε they going to indicate online study there? Soory, I need answers

1 Like

Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by AdeCharity: 4:34pm On May 27, 2012
vikas11233: I think online degree is comes without or less studies,it's a gift from some universities as you give fees to them. shocked cheesy
job vacancies for Nigeria graduates;visit:www.wealthandhealth.com.ng
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by PLENTYNAIR(m): 6:31pm On May 27, 2012
Who says online degrees are not recognized. They are well recognised and respected except for the diploma mills.

I just graduated from a school based in Europe with BSc in infotech. I must say that its not for the average learner as the stress is extremely high and you need to demonstrate sophisticated knowledge of every course. Most times you don't have the luxury of sleeping 5 hours especially if you are working. It is not that easy as some guys think and there are times I needed to take extra programming and CCNA classes just to keep myself abreast so I could pass certain exams.

My degree is highly respected in both public and private sectors.

However you need to do a thorough research of any school offering online courses cos scammers are also out there.

My Bros Online degree is for real but no be beans.
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by pixmix: 10:16pm On May 27, 2012
Online degrees are of no difference to the oncampus ones.

Plus there are many tuition-free organisations that provide you with access to online learning and then you get diploma from some college which could have a brick and mortar campus.
Plus they often have more accreditations.. and it IS lot harder to finish online studies.. That's a fact.

for example globalcourses.us and oscail.ie (site recently moved to dcu site) both provide distance learning, but both will issue diplomas from other institutions in ireland that have proper campuses etc. and there will be nowhere written that you finished distance learning course etc.
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by keleto(m): 10:32pm On May 27, 2012
love to hear more of this
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by yogun(f): 11:21pm On May 27, 2012
This is so interesting & highly informative. I'm considering online studies for M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ masters program due to family & work but the few i have come across are very expensive btw $8k-$16k. And some funny looking too, M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ question is dat "are all distance learning courses dis expensive? I studied History & strategic studies from unilag....
Pls i will appreciate more info
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by FEMARY1: 11:32pm On May 27, 2012
pixmix: Online degrees are of no difference to the oncampus ones.

Plus there are many tuition-free organisations that provide you with access to online learning and then you get diploma from some college which could have a brick and mortar campus.
Plus they often have more accreditations.. and it IS lot harder to finish online studies.. That's a fact.

for example globalcourses.us and oscail.ie (site recently moved to dcu site) both provide distance learning, but both will issue diplomas from other institutions in ireland that have proper campuses etc. and there will be nowhere written that you finished distance learning course etc.

Pixmix thanks for this info God bless you.I check on both sites,globalcourses admission is dissabled.Please how much is the fees?Please can you throw more lights on this programmes?
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Nobody: 10:38am On May 28, 2012
Hmmm..... I laugh reading someone saying it is not stressful. I know what I am passing through... How I wish I enrolled with UNILAG Full Time cos some of my colleagues at work are doing that with work and we are not going through the same stress.

Presently, I am in my final year with University Of London and mind you... Distance Learning will not be written on the Certificate.. only on the transcript... The exams are damn hard and it is paper based @ the british council... You do coursework... hard ones that will take your whole time every month and send to them... sleepless night of research cos you dare not copy other work else na zero...

Guys... it is really stressful I bet it is worth the stress. For UOL, they are highly recognised internationally and I bet it is worth the stress.
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by sopapa(f): 11:29am On May 28, 2012
Anyone who has not done an Online degree will find it easy to talk trash...UOL students all know that it is HELL. Imagine 2 Essays every week, Software checks plagiarism so u can't dub, class discussion from peer reviewed academic sources,deadlines you cannot miss, every module has a project!No time for family, friends or anything else. Infact any one or two week break is like heaven. Online degrees from any reputable or recognized university is not beans by any standard!! Your 4/5 years in Naija Universities will look like baby food compared to akpu.
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by amossainty: 12:52pm On May 28, 2012
Pls house, who is currently studying online here ? I need details on how the lectures works and how they conduct their exams..
Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Boluyong1: 1:22pm On May 28, 2012
acadaman: It depends on the university offering the degree.

If you want to study full time abroad without having to spend too much, consider studying in Ukraine. It is a European country with affordable fees and reasonable conditions. For more details, visit www.studyinukraine.com.ng

Any studyinukraine na SCAM oooo!!!, im telling u 4rm my own and other pple's experience.. anybody can call me mugu, i dnt care cos u dnt know me from Adam and ur opinion doesnt improve my situation in any way, its just the bad nature of many Nigerians who have no honour in their lives and doesnt fear God's wrath... if u want to study in Ukraine, go through charityluba.com, they're in Nigeria and they'll handle everything 4u. So pls Nigerians, dont get scammed. Thanks!

studyinukraine is a SCAM!!!: studyfin..com/2008/05/scam-alert-this-website-is-scam.html

1 Like

Re: How Valuable Is Online Degree? by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 28, 2012
sopapa: Anyone who has not done an Online degree will find it easy to talk trash...UOL students all know that it is HELL. Imagine 2 Essays every week, Software checks plagiarism so u can't dub, class discussion from peer reviewed academic sources,deadlines you cannot miss, every module has a project!No time for family, friends or anything else. Infact any one or two week break is like heaven. Online degrees from any reputable or recognized university is not beans by any standard!! Your 4/5 years in Naija Universities will look like baby food compared to akpu.

Sopapa,

you have said it all... I am a member and I know what I face.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Female Graduate Celebrated By Elderly Women (Photo) / FG Budgets ₦230.9‬ Billion For 14 Nigerian Universities / Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.