Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? (36517 Views)

Best SUV For 1 Million Naira Budget? / What Is The Best SUV For A Small Girl? / Best SUV For Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by KALUE45(m): 10:16am On Jun 24, 2012
I'mma place ma wager anyday on d 4runner then I'mma consider d Land Cruiser. As 4 d Honda Pilot, maybe wen I'm tired of d afore mentiond
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by KALUE45(m): 10:24am On Jun 24, 2012
kukus01: why buy suv? get a truck mate! honda ridgeline luxury+durability+ruggeddness!!! winktalking from experience....ridgeline all the way for me grin

Instead of a Ridgeline, I'ld suggest u get a Tundra.. Itz d best thing in d truck world.
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by yungboss(m): 1:17pm On Jun 27, 2012
for daily driver on our potholed roads, i'll use the Hilux or a Tacoma but for a civilized SUV, i'm driving the X5, ML, Gl55 AMG, Grand Cherokee, cayenne, Pathfinder or the Land Cruiser.
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by phazotron(m): 4:44pm On Jun 30, 2013
you guys are omitting good suv for nigerian roads. let me tell u some.
toyota land cruiser
toyota landcruiser prado
hummer
nissan xterra
toyota 4runner
mitsubishi monterro
lexus lx 570
lexus gx 470 and many odas.
generally, any suv dat has solid axles is good for nigerian roads.
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by phazotron(m): 4:47pm On Jun 30, 2013
Nightshift: Personally,anything that doesn't look and drive like BMW X5 isn't a real SUV.Is there any SUV made for Nigerian roads?
dude u r wrong. d x5 is not a true off roader
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by phazotron(m): 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2013
engineerd: Your list is not complete without the HUMMER!
guy ur head is dere jooor
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by Originalsly: 7:45am On Jul 01, 2013
What's best for Nigerian roads?...the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Why?..it was specifically designed for off road...good ground clearance and clearance in the wheel wells which allow the wheels to freely churn up branches and whatever. One thing that sets it apart from all others is its electronics and wiring are all way above floor level allowing the vehicle to drive through deep waters without stalling.For comfort and luxuries and looks...this is not the one.
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by ekongokuku: 1:46pm On Jul 12, 2014
I haven't seen any comments on Lexus 300 range, doesn't anyone have expi with this suv?
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by ivoryhouse(m): 7:12am On Jul 13, 2014
Good one op! The bmw x5, x6 are not off roaders. The most rugged touota is the land cruiser but my grouse with toyota is their interiors which are bland compared to other brands. The jeep commander is great for Nigerian roads and can handle anything our roads can throw at it (speaking from experience). The landrover defender Is also great for our roads, so are the range rovers and lr3 /4, some people complain of high maintenance (but I dont quite agree because some of us wait till the car breaks down and then complain..).
The crv / rav4 are not designed for off road so please don't even mention them.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by arixreal: 3:55pm On Jul 13, 2014
Benz ML-350 2002-2008 model
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 13, 2014
Series 2 Land Rover Defender 90/110, 2.25L petrol or diesel.

I see people mentioning Mercedes-Benz ML, BMW X series, Infiniti SUV's etc. Car-based SUV's with independent suspension, and very limited axle travel / articulation? Some posters have seriously lost the plot here!

I don't see what "good-looking" or "prestige" has to do with how well an SUV copes with Nigeria's crumbling road network. Any SUV with independent front or rear suspension will be better on tarmac, less capable off road. Solid axle trucks or SUV's is where it's at. Add Old Skool Toyota Land Cruiser, Hilux MK3 to the mix, and you're on the right track.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2014
phazotron: you guys are omitting good suv for nigerian roads. let me tell u some.
toyota land cruiser
toyota landcruiser prado
hummer
nissan xterra
toyota 4runner
mitsubishi monterro
lexus lx 570
lexus gx 470 and many odas.
generally, any suv dat has solid axles is good for nigerian roads.

Funny, most of the SUV's you posted here don't have solid axles.
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by shenny4uall: 6:34pm On Jul 25, 2014
platinumricky:
1...... Land Rover 3 ( lr3)- the LR3 would hv won my vote if not for its reliability issues and pricey repair costs.

2...... Toyota Highlander- this cross-over is loosely based on the camry sedan and is just as reliable. front-wheel drive variants are best avoided due to the state of our roads.

3...... Dodge Journey- i doubt if chrysler's dodge division has a strong presence here, finding parts might be an issue here. Its good looking though.

4...... Acura MDX- this is just a re-skinned honda pilot with an upscale interior and an acura badge. Running costs are reasonable. Its a road-biased suv so off-roading is outta the question. My 2nd pick of the bunch.

6...... Jeep Grand Cherokee- i wonder which model year U̶̲̥̅̊ hv in mind, the latest generation (which shares its platform with the New benz ML) is good looking inside and out, and is a competent offroader. It might have d same issues with the dodge journey in nigeria.
7...... Toyota Sequoia- toyota's biggest SUV,its let down by its 4wd system.which is not as sophisticated as the landcruiser's and cheap looking interior. Parking it will be a chore..and running costs won't come cheap on this one.

8...... Nissan Armada- the 1st generation Infiniti Qx56 is a rebadged variant with a better looking interior. this V8 Powered behemoth has surprisingly gud handling dynamics. The interior could hv been better though. Reliability might be an issue to contend with as well (especially on the early production variants)

9...... Toyota FJ cruiser- shares the same platform with the 4runner,tacoma,landcruiser prado/Lexus GX,toyota fortuner and Hilux. Its offroad credentials are very good. But the oddball interior/exterior design won't appeal to every1, i particularly dislike the interior.

Recommendation: After considering the challenging state of our roads, truck based SUVs with live Axles such as the Lexus GX and 4Runner are better off here. The Lexus Gx has a better interior while d 4runner's looks rugged- the lexus will also appeal to the badge conscious snobs.

Hello Platinumricky, what do you think about Honda Pilot (like a 2008 model) and the Infiniti FX35 (like 2008 model)
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by ivoryhouse(m): 2:46am On Jul 26, 2014
shenny4uall:

Hello Platinumricky, what do you think about Honda Pilot (like a 2008 model) and the Infiniti FX35 (like 2008 model)
It actually depends on what you want. The infinity fx35 is a show ride but totally useless off road. The pilot is better ofroad but is said to be underpowered.
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by billy187(m): 3:58pm On Jul 26, 2014
If naija roads are anything near to what we have here in Ghana;
(1) Land rover defender, discovery ( and its descendant)
(2) Toyota land cruiser or fj cruiser
(3) Nissan patrol
(4) any Jeep especially the Wrangler ( but NOT the Compass!)

My personal favorites are the Defender and the 1997ish -2008ish nissan patrol. On a lean budget though, just hop into a subaru legacy outback and cackle maniacally into the sunset!
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by shenny4uall: 5:42pm On Jul 26, 2014
ivoryhouse:
It actually depends on what you want. The infinity fx35 is a show ride but totally useless off road. The pilot is better ofroad but is said to be underpowered.

Thanks, that makes sense. Please check out my post at https://www.nairaland.com/1830369/need-which-these-jeeps-should. It's somewhat of a variant of this, but I would like to get some expert opinion.
Re: Which Is Best SUV For Nigeria Roads? by mophic123: 7:49pm On Mar 16, 2016
None is comparable to German machine ML benz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Are Ruining Your Car If You Are Guilty Of Any Of The Following / The Privacy Suite In Stretched Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII / Would You Buy This Customized Mclaren 675LT Spider For N180m? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.