Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,135 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Child And Poverty - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child And Poverty (996 Views)

Mother Bakes Vaginas Cupcakes For Child And Bugs Out When Teacher Says 'No' / The Mortal Body: Story Of My Child And Grand Mum / Give Me A Child And Get 250k, Twins 500k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child And Poverty by stanbiggi(m): 2:49pm On May 18, 2012
Hi NL,
Regardless of our politics,our theology, don't u think its an injustice for a child to be born into extreme poverty.
What your take on this...

Stanbiggi
Re: Child And Poverty by maclatunji: 4:34pm On May 18, 2012
stanbiggi: Hi NL,
Regardless of our politics,our theology, don't u think its an injustice for a child to be born into extreme poverty.
What your take on this...

Stanbiggi

Nope, it is a disadvantage no doubt but God has a way of smoothing everything out in the end. We all eventually have to accept our fate. Yes! We fight, struggle, strive to be the best in life but eventually you will leave everything to go and meet your creator. When you understand this, you will be thankful for whatever good that comes your way and be prayerful + patient with the trials and tribulations as they arise.
Re: Child And Poverty by moremi2008(m): 4:51pm On May 18, 2012
^^^This is how impoverished people in all cultures across the world reason. Sorry, God is NOT going to smooth out anything if you're not ready to be the smartest or the most hard working person around! Extremely poor parents would do well to hold-off on having children until they can at least afford to provide them with basic education (these days, secondary schooling is considered a part of basic education). This mentality that you can just have kids and "God" will take care of them is dangerous and a recipe for passing on poverty down the family tree.
Re: Child And Poverty by ifyalways(f): 11:04am On May 19, 2012
I personally feel the govt/society/religious groups/culture failed woefully.We cannot really dictate to a man when or when not to touch his wife,who by the way happens to be(making love to his wife) his most favorite past time/source of consolation/relaxation,just because he is poor.
Enlightning,making available and encouraging the poor ones on the usage of contraceptives,family planning and child spacing is the only way out BUT very unfortunately in naija those things are not for the poor.Walk in to a pharmacy in Naija and ask for a morning after pill. . .everyone(from the very stoooopid sales girl to the quack nurse) gives u a "You just asked for the head of Jesus" looks and ofcourse,they've run out of stock.Buying condoms too have to be done discreetly.
What do u expect?A married man won't kpekus again or he'd leave Sango his abode and go all the way to Judy Pharmacy,Ikeja to get a contraceptive for the wife?Some of 'em wives even make an effort. . .using local herbs,ogogoro and all.
Re: Child And Poverty by maclatunji: 11:12am On May 19, 2012
moremi2008: ^^^This is how impoverished people in all cultures across the world reason. Sorry, God is NOT going to smooth out anything if you're not ready to be the smartest or the most hard working person around! Extremely poor parents would do well to hold-off on having children until they can at least afford to provide them with basic education (these days, secondary schooling is considered a part of basic education). This mentality that you can just have kids and "God" will take care of them is dangerous and a recipe for passing on poverty down the family tree.

Yawns!
Re: Child And Poverty by cantell(m): 11:15am On May 19, 2012
ifyalways:
What do u expect?A married man won't kpekus again or he'd leave Sango his abode and go all the way to Judy Pharmacy,Ikeja to get a contraceptive for the wife?Some of 'em wives even make an effort. . .using local herbs,ogogoro and all.
Chei! See as ify dey rubbish Sango like say dem no get big pharmacy shops for dia.
Is Ramsgate & Micoson pharms. not enough?
Re: Child And Poverty by ifyalways(f): 12:45pm On May 19, 2012
How u take know the name of that pharmacy?Na dia u dey go buy condoms?lol
Seriously,wont the building itself and the workers intimidate a lily livered poor dude that wants to dash in,get some advise or pill on family planning and dash out.Many have out of fear bought 'andrews liver salt or panadol' instead of what they originally set out to get ;Condoms.

Why the hell do 'chemists' hide condoms?You'd see the old man opening hidden boxes or shelves just to get out a condom.We are too hypocritical,overtly religious and shameful but unrepentant sinners.Then again,the mentality that having more kids to bring in more money is another factor @ topic.The more the kids sent out to hawk,slave it out as house helps the richer the parents become.Eledumare punish poverty.
Re: Child And Poverty by armyofone(m): 7:16pm On May 19, 2012
why aren't hospitals helping women with birth control?
during routine checks with pregnant women, we discuss birth control and give idea what they would want to use after child birth.
Re: Child And Poverty by sholay2011(m): 12:35am On May 20, 2012
It is!!! Though, ppl say children re God's gifts...but they also cud be economic burden considering dia financial and social costs in dis era of subsidy removal cry Naija is overpopulated already, bringing innocent children into poverty at dis (st)age is not fair...dat doesnt mean poor ppl shud nt do 'kini' oh...but let ur pocket control d way u spill 'evrytin' all around... grin
Re: Child And Poverty by ifyalways(f): 1:13am On May 20, 2012
Onye army,i believe they do @ ante natals but how many of the 'lowest of the low' can afford ante natals ?Lagos state is trying though,heard all one needs do to get herself qualified for a free ante natal service is to get the hubby donate a pint of blood.I can't start listing the pros and cons of the idea.
Re: Child And Poverty by deenee: 12:11pm On May 20, 2012
Too bad that we live in a society where we blame everybody apart from ourselves for our predicament. So if a couple decide out their own volition to have a dozen kids when they know quite well that they will not be able to cater for then in the near term, then the govt is to blame. I have also seen people argue along the lines of "children are gifts from God". Hence they have them in leaps and bounds and with reckless abandon, the bible connotes that anyone who cannot train up a child accordingly is akin to one who has sinned so why are we deceiving ourselves?

I was to add that in this age and era money and a decent education is not the only requirement needed to bring up a child. A child also needs adequate attention especially during the formative stage of life. It is bad enough that a lot married people have money issues and they aggravate this by having a house full of kids. I also think that it will be unfair to have kids when the capacity to cater for them is not available. What is even more pathetic is those that keep having kids under the auspices of "I am looking for a boy or all the children are girls and I need a boy to make the family complete"

We also need to create awareness on sex education and the various contraceptive methods available. I am of the opinion that a lot of the juvenile delinquents roaming the streets would not be there if people just make use of the most power tool God has blessed us with- Common Sense!
Re: Child And Poverty by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 20, 2012
if a person doesnt have enough money to care for their own self, then they have no business bringing a human being into this world. PERIOD!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Father Of Quadruplets Gets A Job / . / Wife,car,house, Which Should A Young Man Acquire First

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.