Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,196 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants (16950 Views)

SOUTH AFRICAN Home Affairs ‘battling To Deal With Influx Of Illegal Immigrants / Pictures Of Illegal Immigrants To Be Deported From America / South Africa To Deport Zimbabweans Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by jookco(m): 7:56pm On May 19, 2012
Ghana plans to deport illegal immigrants who were drawn to the country by its economic growth and prevailing stability.

Most of the foreigners are into retail business and illegal gold mining while others are in the oil sector.

Some citizens from the Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas) have, however, read xenophobia in the plans.

Despite this, the Ghanaian authorities seem resolute, and have set a June 30 date to flush out the illegal immigrants engaged in the retail business.

This, they say, is line with the country’s investment regulations. The rules restrict retail businesses to Ghanaians only.

A task force to implement the directive has already been put in place by the Ministry of Trade and those to be worst hit are Nigerians and Chinese who have set up shops in Accra city centre.

On May 16, officials of the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) arrested two Chinese for engaging in commercial activities.

After the arrest, the officials said: “It was in line with the Ministry of Trade and Industry’s national policy to get rid of foreigners in the country’s retail business.”

The Ghana Investment Promotion Centre Law, Act 478, Clause 18, stipulates that “the sale of anything whatsoever in the market, petty trading, hawking or selling from a kiosk at any place is a wholly reserved activity for Ghanaians”.

A number of Chinese have also been busted over the past few weeks for engaging in illegal mining in some parts of the country.

Last month, the police had to step in to avoid a blood-bath when youth groups in the northern region went on the rampage to flush out Chinese they claimed were destroying the environment with their illegal mining activities.

Addressing immigration staff in Accra, Interior minister William Aboah ordered the director-general to conduct investigations into how some immigrants entered the country illegally, while others were able to be issued with work permits though they did not have any arrival stamps in their passports.

“There is a growing perception and reports that the country is being flooded by illegal immigrants,” said Aboah, adding: “The issue of their entry into the country is being questioned. Some managed to acquire work permits through the back door while others continue to stay in the country illegally.”

He said some of the illegal immigrants who were arrested were found with weapons. Investigations showed that most of them did not have the required work and residence permits while others had fake permits in their passports, he added.

“These are serious issues which undermine the security of the country,” said Aboah.

As the authorities try to tighten the laws on immigration, some of the Ecowas citizens engaged in retail trade have complained about unfair treatment.

“The Ecowas protocol is clear on citizens from the community and their rights of abode in member countries and, therefore, what the Ghanaians are doing border on xenophobia,” said Lucky Eze, a Nigerian trader.

www.africagist.com
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Mynd44: 11:45pm On May 19, 2012
Did they not learn anything from South Africa?
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Nobody: 12:39am On May 20, 2012
So where were the Ghanaian entrepreneurs when these other nationals were setting up shop in their city center?
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:56am On May 20, 2012
They can do whatever they like with the Chinese illegals (their cup is full as far as i'm concerned), but let them not try that with citizens of ECOWAS countries. There are no half measures here, no middle ground, no sitting on the fence: either you're a member of ECOWAS with all it entails, or you pull your country out of it.

I think they're testing the waters with the Chinese first, and using them as guinea pigs in preparation for facing the big-fry Nigeria. They'll then say it's not just us they're targeting, as they've done the same to the Chinese.

ROSSIKE: So where were the Ghanaian entrepreneurs when these other nationals were setting up shop in their city center?

^^^I guess they were waiting for the foreign nationals (legal and illegal) to stimulate their economy with the different businesses they were engaged in, get them up and running. And when said businesses have got enough traction and are doing well, they then get rid of the 'foreigners' (leaving only the Obronis and Lebanese of course) and hand over the business space to Ghanaians. Makes perfect sense.
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Mynd44: 10:42am On May 20, 2012
Lets see how bold they are

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Olaolufred(m): 12:06pm On May 20, 2012
I think Ghana is more purposeful than our nation-nigeria.
Ghana has found out a problem and are looking for solution.
It is a fact that there are illegal Immigrants, and it's security threat isn't small. It doesn't matter which country you came from, as far as your entry is illegal, you are a criminal.
It means whatever business you are doing illegally is also illegal.
We should be realistic. As an Ecowas member, there are still conditions to be satusfied.
I won't blame Ghana for trying to correct wrongs, they are trying not to be like jonatan that is complaining about 1914, instead of taking step of change.
Welldone Ghana. Do the best in your citizen's interest.

12 Likes

Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by juman(m): 12:42pm On May 20, 2012
Olaolufred: I think Ghana is more purposeful than our nation-nigeria.

It is a fact that there are illegal Immigrants, and it's security threat isn't small. It doesn't matter which country you came from, as far as your entry is illegal, you are a criminal.
We should be realistic. As an Ecowas member, there are still conditions to be satusfied.
I won't blame Ghana for trying to correct wrongs, they are trying not to be like jonatan that is complaining about 1914, instead of taking step of change.

Hmmm, serious country.
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by lexus1: 1:16pm On May 20, 2012

No one is wrong, different point of view[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]

Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by aljharem(m): 1:21pm On May 20, 2012

you could not have said it better !
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by ismhab(m): 3:40pm On May 20, 2012
THIS TIME AROUND IS NIGERIA MUST GO NOT GHANA MUST GO, A LOT OF YAHOO-YAHOO MEN WILL BE BACK TO FRESH AIR.
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Chanchit: 3:44pm On May 20, 2012
This is what i love about ghanians, they do everytin without common sense.... Remember the days of GHANA must go.... We have thousands of them here too, they will all go back and continue to sell their: ewa agoin, kenke, lotto, paraga and so on, @least they will leave our bus stops alone in the night...

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 20, 2012
ismhab: THIS TIME AROUND IS NIGERIA MUST GO NOT GHANA MUST GO, A LOT OF YAHOO-YAHOO MEN WILL BE BACK TO FRESH AIR.
Correct. I knew this was going to happen years back. I'm sure they must be producing "Nigeria must go" bags and getting ready for action. For your information, Nigerians will bear the largest brunt. Shame.
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Novice1(m): 3:48pm On May 20, 2012
ismhab: THIS TIME AROUND IS NIGERIA MUST GO NOT GHANA MUST GO, A LOT OF YAHOO-YAHOO MEN WILL BE BACK TO FRESH AIR.

And all those Okoros and Nmadus will go back with their wishy washy businesses to cheat their fellows
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Nobody: 3:53pm On May 20, 2012
Chanchit: This is what i love about ghanians, they do everytin without common sense.... Remember the days of GHANA must go.... We have thousands of them here too, they will all go back and continue to sell their: ewa agoin, kenke, lotto, paraga and so on, @least they will leave our bus stops alone in the night...
Right. Nigerian "rulers" should know by the time they flush Nigerians from Ghana, they would know that the big brotherly role Nigeria has always played has never been appreciated. They (rulers) should rather concentrate their efforts in helping the masses. They have just sent soldiers to Guinea Bissau now o and will spend millions there.
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Nonybb: 3:54pm On May 20, 2012
this ghanaians bast/ards shouldnt try this with the heavy weight nigeria or there economy will crumble. After feeding and clothing them in there dirty country they now want deportation. St/upid ingreats!

4 Likes

Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 20, 2012
Ghana will soon emerge as a top African economic powerhouse given all indications ranging from their growth rate economic-wise and the patrotism radiating in the land. Nigeria is also going through a semblance of the economic downturn (championed by endemic corruption)that Ghana went through. When Nigeria eventually survives it and the country still remain one, the development that would be witnessed will be phenomenon. I really envy Ghana.
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by valdubem(m): 4:14pm On May 20, 2012
its now their version of Ghana Nigeria must go grin
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by lacasa: 4:19pm On May 20, 2012
Novice1:

And all those Okoros and Nmadus will go back with their wishy washy businesses to cheat their fellows

Ig*o kwenu cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by lacasa: 4:20pm On May 20, 2012

Ɣε̲̣̣̣̥ah!
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by imparable7(m): 4:28pm On May 20, 2012
hmm
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Excelboi(m): 4:38pm On May 20, 2012
Is Ghana a country? Maybe dos illegal immigrants in which they re about to deport may have constituted to the positive rise of there economy. Let see how they weed out percentage from there population.
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Sowada(m): 4:41pm On May 20, 2012
I don't blame them. They can't sit back and watch the country destroy with those chinese fake production nd nigeria dubious life style. There leaders cares for there country more than themselves unlike nigerian leader that re looting the country instead of finding solution to our problems. Ghana is taking a future steps for their country.
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by otumfour(m): 4:41pm On May 20, 2012
Nonybb: this ghanaians bast/ards shouldnt try this with the heavy weight nigeria or there economy will crumble. After feeding and clothing them in there dirty country they now want deportation. St/upid ingreats!

grin grin heavy weight ignorant bastard, I enjoy better electricity, water, peace, healthcare, roads, internet service than ur so-called heavy weight country; keep deceiving urselves Nigerians. grin grin grin, don' hate tha game dude, we juz gat our priorities right, till u puccy-fo0l and ur ilk start growing some balls like (Ghanians) real men (and I ain't talking abt being a keyboard Captain Nigeria like u are) in facing ur proudly corrupt government, all tht baby talk grin grin u posted up there no dey hold water.

oh yes! and we do anticipate more of ur ilk wud come on here an cry more baby talk than urs grin grin, I actually enjoy reading them. PUCCY'S

KOBOKUNKIE THA REALEST wink

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by sholay2011(m): 4:41pm On May 20, 2012
Keeping fingers crossed till june 30. cool {I go see weda dem go 'flush' me out of dia kontiri wen i no be faeces. grin grin}
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by otokx(m): 4:54pm On May 20, 2012
Till then
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 20, 2012
dayohope1:
Correct. I knew this was going to happen years back. I'm sure they must be producing "Nigeria must go" bags and getting ready for action. For your information, Nigerians will bear the largest brunt. Shame.
And whatever gave u the idea that nigerians have invaded Ghana?? undecided undecided
If nigerians invades Ghana like Ghanaians did during the 'Ghana must go' period, their infrastructures and economy would crumble within 3months...trust me
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by laCapri: 5:03pm On May 20, 2012
otumfour:

grin grin heavy weight ignorant bastard, I enjoy better electricity, water, peace, healthcare, roads, internet service than ur so-called heavy weight country; keep deceiving urselves Nigerians. grin grin grin, don' hate tha game dude, we juz gat our priorities right, till u puccy-fo0l and ur ilk start growing some balls like (Ghanians) real men (and I ain't talking abt being a keyboard Captain Nigeria like u are) in facing ur proudly corrupt government, all tht baby talk grin grin u posted up there no dey hold water.

oh yes! and we do anticipate more of ur ilk wud come on here an cry more baby talk than urs grin grin, I actually enjoy reading them. PUCCY'S

KOBOKUNKIE THA REALEST wink
Is this french or twi?
Did u attend night school or what?

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by djfiifi(m): 5:04pm On May 20, 2012
Nonybb: this ghanaians bast/ards shouldnt try this with the heavy weight nigeria or there economy will crumble. After feeding and clothing them in there dirty country they now want deportation. St/upid ingreats!

Ghana is dirty but neater than Nigeria and if you have any money to be spending on other countries whiles you face the same poverty then you are the dumpest of any human being ever created,use that money to pay your doctors.
Who made Nigeria big brother and power house over Ghana?
Ghana does it and you guys follow,you are simply bigger than Ghana only in populationwise cos you guys give birth rough rough.
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by melvournis(f): 5:08pm On May 20, 2012
Nigeria economy will collapse[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by BlackBaron: 5:14pm On May 20, 2012
grin grin
Some Nigerians are such agbayas...

Jealousy will not kill them.
Fact is Ghana is being better managed than Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants by killuminati(m): 5:19pm On May 20, 2012
no be only fresh air, na air freshener! grin
no be only fresh air, na air freshener!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

UK And Germany Won’t Send Tanks To Ukraine / Blast At Catholic Mass In Southern Philippines Leaves Four Dead. / Obama Honours Oluwatosin Akinduro On U.S. Independence Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.