Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,261 members, 7,954,005 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:46 AM

The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! (15850 Views)

7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch / Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:45am On May 21, 2012
More of uzo iyi.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:46am On May 21, 2012
Enyi aga na mkpa

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:47am On May 21, 2012
Idi ndi Eze.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:49am On May 21, 2012
Enyi Idi ndi Eze.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:50am On May 21, 2012
Ochanmili

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:52am On May 21, 2012
The greatest!!

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:53am On May 21, 2012
Umu bi na nmili.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:57am On May 21, 2012
Uzo iyi hut.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by FACE(m): 9:54pm On May 22, 2012
Brilliant. Your uzo iyi festival must be great. So many mmanwu in your villa. I can't count more than 4 from my own villa.

Does your uzo iyi festival have any thing to do with maintaining the path to your stream/river/spring water ? We do have ikwa Uzo (path maintenance )or ikwa uzo Iyi (river path maintenance), but not on a grand scale like yours.
Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by pazienza(m): 10:15pm On May 22, 2012
Nri,are you from umuoli village?
Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:54am On May 23, 2012
pazienza: Nri,are you from umuoli village?

Bonafide nwa Okodu kpomkwem.
Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:12am On May 23, 2012
FACE: Brilliant. Your uzo iyi festival must be great. So many mmanwu in your villa. I can't count more than 4 from my own villa.

Does your uzo iyi festival have any thing to do with maintaining the path to your stream/river/spring water ? We do have ikwa Uzo (path maintenance )or ikwa uzo Iyi (river path maintenance), but not on a grand scale like yours.

The uzo iyi(way to the stream) is performed to usher in the new farming season; It is used to beseech the gods and the spirits of the land for a successful farming season. On the day of the uzo iyi,all the streams and rivers in the town are barricaded with a virgin palm leaves and nobody and I mean nobody goes to the rivers or the streams! There are twenty three villages in umuoji and each comes to the festivals with more than one masqurade. This festival has been in existence since the 14th century. Governor Peter Obi attended last years festival during his speech discloses that it was the masqurade from from Umuoji that helped Anambra state to win the first position at the 2006 Abuja cultural carnival tagged; Abuja carnical and won the second place in 2007 for Anambra state. The festival attracts personalities from all walks of life and most Idenmili Kings do attend. The governor is currently lobbying big corporation for sponsorship of the festival just like Ofalla Onicha.

Ife di na Oji !

1 Like

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by FACE(m): 9:07am On May 23, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

The uzo iyi(way to the stream) is performed to usher in the new farming season; It is used to beseech the gods and the spirits of the land for a successful farming season. On the day of the uzo iyi,all the streams and rivers in the town are barricaded with a virgin palm leaves and nobody and I mean nobody goes to the rivers or the streams! There are twenty three villages in umuoji and each comes to the festivals with more than one masqurade. This festival has been in existence since the 14th century. Governor Peter Obi attended last years festival during his speech discloses that it was the masqurade from from Umuoji that helped Anambra state to win the first position at the 2006 Abuja cultural carnival tagged; Abuja carnical and won the second place in 2007 for Anambra state. The festival attracts personalities from all walks of life and most Idenmili Kings do attend. The governor is currently lobbying big corporation for sponsorship of the festival just like Ofalla Onicha.

Ife di na Oji !

That's nice. Ours is limited to the two hamlets (one village) that use our local stream. Nobody goes to the stream on that day and there is some merriment, which is very very low key in comparison to yours. I like yours though.

There used to be a masquerade festivals in the east, which attracted masquerades from everywhere including Calabar areas. The festival was stopped because the first three ended up with masquerades showing off their strengths.

The first one was in Enugu and one masquerade from Udi silenced the other masquerades drums by "remote control", until they paid some money. All of them came prepared for the Aba festival, and according to my brother (he probably added salt and pepper)spectators were being pinned at the gates by masquerades. There was even a case of mortar and pestle arriving the scene unaccompanied.(yeah my bros tells them stories like dat)

The next one was in Owerri and was good. The last one that got the festival suspended was in Enugu. Udi masquerade tried their antics again and silenced many drum sets but not all. So they decided to take on the masquerades individually and came face to face with masquerades from Izuogu the land of the great Pericoma.

Udi masquerades were able to silence Izuogu masquerades initially, but Izuogu restored their sets after breaking some eggs. Then to everyone's amazement, Izuogu set Udi masquerade on fire by "remote control". Onye obuna na oso.

Anyways good on your people and I hope you keep it up.
Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by AndreUweh(m): 10:42am On May 23, 2012
Nice thread, nice photographs and a nice 0.P.
Welldone Nwa Nri.
Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:46pm On May 23, 2012
FACE:

That's nice. Ours is limited to the two hamlets (one village) that use our local stream. Nobody goes to the stream on that day and there is some merriment, which is very very low key in comparison to yours. I like yours though.

There used to be a masquerade festivals in the east, which attracted masquerades from everywhere including Calabar areas. The festival was stopped because the first three ended up with masquerades showing off their strengths.

The first one was in Enugu and one masquerade from Udi silenced the other masquerades drums by "remote control", until they paid some money. All of them came prepared for the Aba festival, and according to my brother (he probably added salt and pepper)spectators were being pinned at the gates by masquerades. There was even a case of mortar and pestle arriving the scene unaccompanied.(yeah my bros tells them stories like dat)

The next one was in Owerri and was good. The last one that got the festival suspended was in Enugu. Udi masquerade tried their antics again and silenced many drum sets but not all. So they decided to take on the masquerades individually and came face to face with masquerades from Izuogu the land of the great Pericoma.

Udi masquerades were able to silence Izuogu masquerades initially, but Izuogu restored their sets after breaking some eggs. Then to everyone's amazement, Izuogu set Udi masquerade on fire by "remote control". Onye obuna na oso.

Anyways good on your people and I hope you keep it up.

You sounded like you are from Aro Ndi Izuogu...lol Izuogu has some mad jazz thou. During the uzo iyi festivals there is one particular ritual performed by " Umu-dibia" very early in the morning before the colloseum is opened: This very rutual is a peace and safety sacrifice to the gods to protect every soul and all masqurade as they come and go. Once this sacrifice is performed you can be rest assured that there wont be any fights,deaths nor any quarrels during and after the festivals. And this sacrifice has not dissapointed us. Since the inception of the uzo iyi,i was told that there has never been a fight,deaths nor quarrel. Visitors from all over the east do attend and will usually go back in peace with no harm!
Ife di na Oji.

2 Likes

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:08pm On May 23, 2012
Andre Uweh: Nice thread, nice photographs and a nice 0.P.
Welldone Nwa Nri.

Andre,daalu rinne. I am actually uploading this pics from a friends facebook page and he doesnt have all the masqurades but I will try and get more. Enjoy.
Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:24pm On May 23, 2012
More from uzo iyi.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:26pm On May 23, 2012
Nna na agbogho nmuo.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:28pm On May 23, 2012
Nmuo agadi,headed to uzo iyi while stopping house to house to wail.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:31pm On May 23, 2012
Ebube dike Ideoma,Umuoji. This nmuo is very dangerous and he carries an axe!

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:33pm On May 23, 2012
Onye kuluva at the entrance gate.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:36pm On May 23, 2012
The hipopothamus "Akum" at the festival.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:38pm On May 23, 2012
The zebra.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:39pm On May 23, 2012
Young boy having fun.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:48pm On May 23, 2012
Okodu boys getting jiggy.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:50pm On May 23, 2012
Isi enyi boys.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:52pm On May 23, 2012
Nyakwulu Aguma village with a rider.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:55pm On May 23, 2012
Nyakwulu "carmel". Some of these masqurades are new introduction.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:56pm On May 23, 2012
Nyakwulu.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:57pm On May 23, 2012
Nwakwulu seating.

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:58pm On May 23, 2012
Nmuo police.

1 Like

Re: The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:00pm On May 23, 2012
Nyakwulu againg. In the habit of throwing candies to spectators.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

African Genetics Thread (E Haplogroup) / The Origin Of The 4 Market Days In Igboland / Arrival Of A New Baby Amongst Ndigbo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.