Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,931 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

IG: Constables To Earn N50000 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IG: Constables To Earn N50000 (11593 Views)

London Police To Recruit Yoruba Constables / Lowest Ranking Police Officers To Earn N50000 Monthly- IGP / Lol:over 1,500 Police Constables Are Without The Basic Entry Qualifications Into The Force. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by nabegibeg: 3:22pm On May 22, 2012

Acting Inspector-General of Police, Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar

By Chiemelie Ezeobi

Acting Inspector-General of Police (IG), Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar, said Monday in Ikeja, Lagos State, that the least paid police officer (constable) would go home with a monthly salary of N50,000, if his proposal to the Presidency scales through.

This will mark a sharp increase, as a constable is currently paid N28,000 a month.

He made the disclosure at the Police Command Headquarters while addressing the personnel as part of his visit to the state.

He said: “We are looking into the welfare of our officers and we have made a proposal to the Presidency for the basic salary of constables to be a minimum of N50, 000.”
His declaration sent the policemen at the briefing ground into a boisterous celebration.

Abubakar said he took the decision to seek improvement in the welfare of the personnel to boost their morale.

Soon after pledging to upgrade the welfare of his officers, Abubakar sounded a note of warning to errant officers.
He said any policeman found wanting of the laid down rules would not be spared.

He also said 50,000 officers of the Force were being trained in intelligence and crime investigation to check the insecurity in the country.

According to him, 16,000 of the 50,000 would get intelligence-based police training, while another 10,000 would go for detective course training.

Abubakar disclosed this when he led top police officers on a courtesy visit to Governor Babatunde Fashola in continuation of his familiarisation tour of police commands in the country.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that Abubakar had earlier addressed officers and men of the command, stakeholders and traditional rulers.

He said the security situation in the country called for more proactive measures if the nation must win the war against violence.

The police boss pledged that he would restore the lost glory of the police, but noted that this might not be possible without the support of the officers and the public.

“We want to build a people-friendly police, which every Nigerian would be proud to be associated with; a force people would be willing to assist by offering information, and they will see the result immediately,” he said.

Abubakar added: “At this point in time, any officer that is not willing to embrace the change will fall by the way side.”
He commended the Lagos State Government for supporting the force, stressing that if other states in Nigeria emulated the state, the crime situation would be drastically reduced.

The IG said that about 300 patrol vehicles would be deployed in the nation’s high ways to replace the dismantled road blocks.

“The vehicles will replace the recently dismantled road blocks and help to boost the effective patrolling of our highways,” he said.

Abubakar said unfortunately, road blocks were being used for purposes different from their original intention.

He said the road blocks, as used in the country, had been turned into an aberration which affected effective policing.
He further said the road blocks were being used to extort money from motorists over the years, rather than to fight crime.

“We have gone ahead to stop road blocks because we do not understand the reason why these road blocks should be there.

“This is the only country in the world that you have permanent road blocks. But really in security situations, road blocks are temporary measures that are only put in place after particular security issues have been taken care of.
“Unfortunately, we have made it a permanent feature of our security manoeuvres,” he said.

According the IG, “That is why we are doing everything possible to build the capacity of our officers. Capacity building is the key to effective policing in the country and from our analysis those road blocks were not doing us any good.

“In fact, they were greatly damaging the country's reputation and that of the Police Force. And so, we decided that those road blocks should go.”

He added that all the four premier police colleges in Enugu, Ikeja, Maiduguri and Kaduna would soon be rehabilitated and repositioned to deliver quality training to men of the force.

Abubakar said that the police were currently in a major transformational process, promising that the Force would soon metamorphose into a people-friendly, effective-crime fighting establishment.

He urged Nigerians to support the Force’s Community Policing Initiative by volunteering relevant information that would further strengthen the security of lives and property.
Abubakar promised to strengthen the operations of police institutions to enable them to undertake their responsibilities as officers’ training schools.

In his speech, Fashola commended the police for their efforts to curb crimes, in spite of insufficient equipment.
He hoped that Abubakar, who had passed through the rank and file to the top, would be in a better position to take the force to a higher level.

The governor urged Abubakar to address issues such as rape, sale of alcohol by those underage, and assault on children and women.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ig-constable-to-earn-n50-000/116331/
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Tgirl4real(f): 3:28pm On May 22, 2012
nabegibeg:

Acting Inspector-General of Police (IG), Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar, said Monday in Ikeja, Lagos State, that the least paid police officer (constable) would go home with a monthly salary of N50,000, if his proposal to the Presidency scales through.

This will mark a sharp increase, as a constable is currently paid N28,000 a month.

What? shocked shocked shocked

Why wouldn't go collect bribe
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by honeric01(m): 3:04pm On May 23, 2012
Tgirl4real:

expect jobless graduates applying for police jobs.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Fhemmmy: 3:06pm On May 23, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Now we see some of the reason why Nigerians are not secure in Nigeria . . .
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 23, 2012
honeric01: expect jobless graduates applying for police jobs.
Yes now, its a good pay compared to nothing, imagine what asp would earn, that's the rank graduates start from.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by honeric01(m): 3:10pm On May 23, 2012
blink182: Yes now, its a good pay compared to nothing, imagine what asp would earn, that's the rank graduates start from.
but only half baked graduates out of frustration.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by lifestyle1(m): 3:10pm On May 23, 2012
Tgirl4real:

What's the the working minimum wage ? and what level of education is requird for the job ? undecided
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Kobojunkie: 3:11pm On May 23, 2012
honeric01: expect jobless graduates applying for police jobs.

Which might turn out to be a good thing. We would have a more educated force, and less unemployed youths out there. If approved, this might move the force in the direction it needs to go.

2 Likes

Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by ismhab(m): 3:11pm On May 23, 2012
EVEN IF TO SAY THE LOWEST RANKING OFFICER USED TO EARN 1,000,000 NAIRA, HE WILL NEVER STOP COLLECTING 10 NAIRA FROM INNOCENT CITIZENS.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 23, 2012
honeric01: but only half baked graduates out of frustration.
Dude, even second class upper will work, bros no job for country o. grin

1 Like

Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by TheShopKeeper(m): 3:15pm On May 23, 2012
Will this eventually stop the police from bribe collection?

1 Like

Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Korrection(m): 3:16pm On May 23, 2012
thats a good move
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by ismhab(m): 3:16pm On May 23, 2012
LET BOKO BOYZ JOIN POLICE FORCE, WE WILL HAVE ALL THE NEEDED SECURITY WE NEED, SINCE THE POLICE CAN NOT PROTECT US.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by honeric01(m): 3:17pm On May 23, 2012
blink182: Dude, even second class upper will work, bros no job for country o. grin
police is d most dangerous security jobs in Nigeria, so i dont see a good grader going for it except the fustrated ones. Nigerians love life jare. U fit do am?

1 Like

Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by lookmangiw(m): 3:18pm On May 23, 2012
How many times will they propose this thing, thing hasd been in the news since OBJ regime if i can remember. i'm really feeling sorry for this police people. i hope they will implement it one day.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by BlackBaron: 3:19pm On May 23, 2012
Hopefully tis'll stop the #20 pittance they kill people for.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by paulo882: 3:19pm On May 23, 2012
ismhab: EVEN IF TO SAY THE LOWEST RANKING OFFICER USED TO EARN 1,000,000 NAIRA, HE WILL NEVER STOP COLLECTING 10 NAIRA FROM INNOCENT CITIZENS.

I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOUR OPINION. Poor pay encourages most of them to resort to other means in order to meet living cost. Our police should be well paid because the are doing a very sensitive job. If they were well paid and equipped, most of them will not resort to collecting bribes and will actually focus of doing their job.

In my opinion, minimum police pay should be N250,000 or more per month because of the importance and sensitive of their job. Pay for political office holders should be cut and this used to fund the police.

2 Likes

Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:20pm On May 23, 2012
And some ppl will come here insulting the president! Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan is the best thing that has ever happened to this country since its bastard creation! !!!!!!!
I trust that man even though he is quiet which ppl take for weakness. He will surprise his haters !

1 Like

Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:22pm On May 23, 2012
ismhab: LET BOKO BOYZ JOIN POLICE FORCE, WE WILL HAVE ALL THE NEEDED SECURITY WE NEED, SINCE THE POLICE CAN NOT PROTECT US.

You are a mad man dancing naked in the market place! Your cup will soon be full,ed.iot!
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by ggood: 3:24pm On May 23, 2012
WILL THEY STOP TO COLLECT 100 NAIRA BECAUSE NOW ITS NOT 50 NAIRA AGAIN
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Murphy7h4: 3:24pm On May 23, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Now have authority is to have money
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by auwal87(m): 3:31pm On May 23, 2012
Unfortunately, not all police officers will use their salary effectively. Some will resort to adding more wives (esp in North), and in the south they will resort to drinking a more expensive liquor. Sometimes it is not how much you earn that matters, but how you utilize what is available you. This is general, not only to police officers, you can find many people taking as much as 250k monthly but still borrow money to meet their expenses. Take huge bank loans, and in short time, end up paying 60% of salary to the bank. I hope they will rise to the security challenge and protect rather than harass citizens.

Good move by the IG, especially the removal of road blocks.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by OilSubsidy: 3:32pm On May 23, 2012
N50,000 is too small. That is only £200 a month!! I think N150,000 should be the minimum in order to encourage professionalism in the service.

Like someone rightly said, reduce lawmakers salary at all level to fund the security sector. we desperately need this else that Naija will become jagajaga within the next 10 years!!
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by gulfer: 3:37pm On May 23, 2012
What happens to other sector in the security side of things, the Military, Navy, Air-force and even the militants on amnesty.This generation of leaders are sitting on a keg of gunpowder and playing with a nuclear warhead.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Beaf1: 3:39pm On May 23, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: And some ppl will come here insulting the president! Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan is the best thing that has ever happened to this country since its bastard creation! !!!!!!!
I trust that man even though he is quiet which ppl take for weakness. He will surprise his haters !

^
WTF
Did you read the news? It is a proposal before the Retardeen and (as usual) your Gufluck Ebere Jonadunce would rather pay thiefing members millions than to approve this.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by jmaine: 3:41pm On May 23, 2012
gulfer: What happens to other sector in the security side of things, the Military, Navy, Air-force and even the militants on amnesty.[size=14pt]This generation of leaders are sitting on a keg of gunpowder and playing with a nuclear warhead[/size].

Explain further . . .how is this a bad move . . .appears we just like to critique undecided
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Beaf1: 3:50pm On May 23, 2012
Let me also add that it is almost like a suicide mission to work as a policeman especially in the (Boko Harem) affected areas of the north. A friend of mine leaving in the north told me police are hunted and killed even while praying at the mosques. Five people were killed because they stood close to a policeman (in mufti).
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by gulfer: 3:57pm On May 23, 2012
jmaine:

Explain further . . .how is this a bad move . . .appears we just like to critique undecided
I disagree with you totally. If you need to motivate police and improve security by increasing their salaries, then be ready to do same across board is mt leaning. I just tried to put a bit of jocularity to it using the amnestied militants. Have you visited any of the ministries; to see what goes on in terms of absolute corruption, which is my worries. it is not only the policemen but the entire National workforce bar some private/multinational establishments.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by gulfer: 3:58pm On May 23, 2012
jmaine:

I disagree with you totally. If you need to motivate police and improve security by increasing their salaries, then be ready to do same across board is my leaning. I just tried to put a bit of jocularity to it using the amnestied militants and other security apparatus. Have you visited any of the ministries; to see what goes on in terms of absolute corruption, which is my worries. it is not only the policemen but the entire National workforce bar some private/multinational establishments that require motivation.
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 23, 2012
This is gud
Re: IG: Constables To Earn N50000 by 4ward(m): 4:00pm On May 23, 2012
I think dis IGP has alot of Positive Ideas To bring a Newphase 2 d NPF also deterninedddd like Kanu 2 Improve the welfare of hs Boys.Good Thinking Hope u get Good result or Product....God Bless Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How 36 States Shared N156.2bn In Two Months- The Vanguard / Vice President Yemi Osinbajo Revalidates His APC Membership / Mohammed Bello: Arrest VIPs Seeking Bail For Criminals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.