Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,624 members, 7,820,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? (19827 Views)

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by DualCore1: 8:47pm On May 26, 2012
I drive for 3 people. Me, the person in front and the person behind. At a T-Junction the dude at the back may be indicating left and following me bumper to bumper thinking I am one freak who doesn't know how to use indicators to show I am also going left... I use the hazard to show him i am going straight so he should space out and make his left turn before he buys market. I also use the hazard and headlights when going across the T-Junction and I see the guy coming from the opposite end is making a right/left turn that will cut across my straight line of movement. I use it to tell him he shouldn't make that turn cuz he will buy market.

Those are my non-standard use of the hazard lights.

3 Likes

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Bongoman1: 9:06pm On May 26, 2012
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by ikachi1: 11:48pm On May 26, 2012
Hazard light as the name denotes indicate either that your car has become by virtue of usage or condition a hazard to other road users. It could also be warning that there is hazard in front of you. In conclusion, it is a warning to other road users that something don't seem right with either your car or the road you are traveling. Some people use it to indicate that they are going straight on but this is wrong.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by kinstinct(m): 11:54pm On May 26, 2012
Hazard lights
We had to discuss this subject at one of our safety meetings recently.
Please read up your car manuals to confirm why the oyibo man put am for moto.

1. Use it when moving too slow cos of flat tire or something or parked on the road as a result of fault
2. Use parking lights when driving in rain or dark weather. hazard lights impair the vision those behind.
3. Do not use any pointers when going Straight at a junction. simply move carefully. when you use hazard light to indicate moving straight, others may see only one side and assume you are turning.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by AnotherOkija: 11:56pm On May 26, 2012
Hazard light is to be used when your car becomes a hazard to other road users... E.g Your car is broken down in the middle of the road, you are badly parked on the side of the road such that part of your car is sticking out into the road and constitue a hazard..

Under no circumstance does it mean you are going straight on an intersection...

In Nigeria, it is WRONGLY used for the following reason;

1. To indicate that you are going straight at an intersection..

2. You have a mobile police in your car... (indicative of a big boy and hence free to break all traffic rules)

3. Driving in a convoy (especially when you have a patrol car among the convoy and sirens are blaring)

4. Bullion vans

5. Bus drivers use it to attract attention as a cool driver .. This is used especially by driver who drive recklessly...

Any other use apart from indicating a hazard is wrong...
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by nas00(m): 12:29am On May 27, 2012
U guys are missing one salient nigerian indication for using hazard lights:

Night driving in a vehicle with only one functional headlamp (to indicate to unsuspecting on-coming vehicles that it's not an okada approaching, esp when on top speed). grin grin

9ja we hail thee. To many geniuses dey my country! cool

2 Likes

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by AnotherOkija: 12:35am On May 27, 2012
nas 00: U guys are missing one salient nigerian indication for using hazard lights:

Night driving in a vehicle with only one functional headlamp (to indicate to unsuspecting on-coming vehicles that it's not an okada approaching, esp when on top speed). grin grin

Technically, a car with just one headlamp at night qualifies as a hazard so the use of one in such a situation isnt wrong at all but rather the right thing to do..

3 Likes

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by nas00(m): 1:10am On May 27, 2012
Another Okija:

Technically, a car with just one headlamp at night qualifies as a hazard so the use of one in such a situation isnt wrong at all but rather the right thing to do..

Well said, brother.

But I know a particular person who has made that a custom, indeed, that was why I posted. Whatever happened to repairing the gaddem headlamp!
Point is some 9ja ppl themselves be hazard, the way they behave. We 'manage' things a to a fault, even when it borders on safety of ourselves and others sad

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Diakpa(m): 1:27am On May 27, 2012
surefx: In my opinion, the hazard lights should be used to notify other vehicles or drivers that your vehicle poses a danger on the road or to other road users and that they'd beware. This can happen in cases such as vehicle breakdowns, flat tires, temporarily obstructing traffic, going straight at an intersection, moving too slowly on dual carriage way or expressway, etc.
surefx: In my opinion, the hazard lights should be used to notify other vehicles or drivers that your vehicle poses a danger on the road or to other road users and that they'd beware. This can happen in cases such as vehicle breakdowns, flat tires, temporarily obstructing traffic, going straight at an intersection, moving too slowly on dual carriage way or expressway, etc.
surefx: In my opinion, the hazard lights should be used to notify other vehicles or drivers that your vehicle poses a danger on the road or to other road users and that they'd beware. This can happen in cases such as vehicle breakdowns, flat tires, temporarily obstructing traffic, GOING STRAIGHT AT AN INTERSECTION, moving too slowly on dual carriage way or expressway, etc.
u got it right on all counts, except the one in upper case. u don't use it for that.

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Markenny(m): 6:03am On May 27, 2012
Use it more that in germany u pay ur ass off...

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Nobody: 6:03am On May 27, 2012
Oyibo get their own use, we Nigerians have our own use of it. So its no big deal. We aren't really abusing it, we are only adjusting its use to our own driving conditions here

2 Likes

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by domack99(m): 6:06am On May 27, 2012
I also use it during heavy rain when vissibility is poor so the on coming vehicle can see me far ahead.

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by slap1(m): 7:55am On May 27, 2012
Some people use it to say 'I'm speeding, come and catch me', especially the commercial buses that drive from Aba to PH.

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Hychineson(m): 8:51am On May 27, 2012
DECOtech: It kills me to see those lights misused.
One driver uses it at T-junctions believing he is telling other drivers he is neither making a right or left turn.
Then I asked him this question: can d driver coming frm his left side see d indicator at d right side of his car? He said nothing.
I just hope I've been able to correct the particular guy.
u are equally wrong. D light at d T junction indicates to d vehicles behing u dat u r moving straight. Hope u got me right?
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Lisa1: 9:02am On May 27, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
I very much agree with your point of view.So not only can remind others, also can cause traffic unobstructed, safety
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Nobody: 10:10am On May 27, 2012
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by brabus(m): 10:15am On May 27, 2012
nas 00: U guys are missing one salient nigerian indication for using hazard lights:

Night driving in a vehicle with only one functional headlamp (to indicate to unsuspecting on-coming vehicles that it's not an okada approaching, esp when on top speed).

Talk true, na your style be dat grin
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by NOIBMUUL(m): 10:57am On May 27, 2012
Sometimes, hazard light might suffice during the rains too, just so the vehicle behind you will see you in bad weather where visibility is low.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by oyestephen(m): 12:50pm On May 27, 2012
brabus:

The one that amuses me most is that some drivers uses it when carrying dead body.
lol
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by AdeCharity: 4:37pm On May 27, 2012
Fhemmmy: Only ought to be used when you are packed in the middle of the road, and you know it is dangerous. . . . You use it to signify to other road users that something is not right and they could pass you by if you are still driving . . .
Most road users in Nigeria has no clue what it means, i have seen many drivers used it on long journeys.

job vacancies for Nigeria graduates; visit:www.wealthandhealth.com.ng
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by redsun(m): 9:13pm On May 27, 2012
You should also ask the question of what horns are suppose to be used for?Nigeria traffic is always like a mad house with horns blaring everywhere for no particular reasons.Just for the fun of it and venting frustration.

While in essence,horns are suppose to be used to alert other occasional unattentive and aggressive drivers of your presence.And it should be used at certain hours of the day not as a toy but for warding off dangers.

Nigerians could be taught how to drive sanely on this forum.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by redsun(m): 9:50pm On May 27, 2012
NOIBMUUL: Sometimes, hazard light might suffice during the rains too, just so the vehicle behind you will see you in bad weather where visibility is low.

That is what rear lights and brake lights are for.

With hazards lights on,brake lights may become blured and less visible.And brake light strongly warns the following vehicle of the action of the vehicle in front,especially in potential hazardous conditions.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by redsun(m): 9:54pm On May 27, 2012
Another question should be,why do nigerians drive with high beam lights at night,constantly blind folding on coming drivers in the process,instead of dipped beams?
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by logica(m): 2:31am On May 28, 2012
Duh. You use it in HAZARDOUS situations where you present a HAZARD to other road users.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by ghm: 10:41am On May 28, 2012
I came across one local abUSE of the HAZARD LIGHT. I saw a driver driving against the oncoming vehicle I accused him asked him why he was doing such a wrong thing but he shouted at me and said "You mean you no see my "ONE WAY" light!". When I checked, it was the hazard light that was on! grin grin grin
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by myfriend1(m): 11:28am On May 28, 2012
Hazard light as the name imply, you use it anytime you sense danger, or if you are confused, the moment other road user see this light they give you space by moving away from you.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Ozegbe(m): 6:15pm On May 28, 2012
Dual Core: I drive for 3 people. Me, the person in front and the person behind. At a T-Junction the dude at the back may be indicating left and following me bumper to bumper thinking I am one freak who doesn't know how to use indicators to show I am also going left... I use the hazard to show him i am going straight so he should space out and make his left turn before he buys market. I also use the hazard and headlights when going across the T-Junction and I see the guy coming from the opposite end is making a right/left turn that will cut across my straight line of movement. I use it to tell him he shouldn't make that turn cuz he will buy market.

Those are my non-standard use of the hazard lights.
sorry offtopic. just wanna know how is your probook 4530s?
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by AnotherOkija: 11:20pm On May 28, 2012
Hychineson: u are equally wrong. D light at d T junction indicates to d vehicles behing u dat u r moving straight. Hope u got me right?

Traffigators are use only when you are about to make a turn.. Why use 'HAZARD LIGHTS" when you are not making a turn but driving straight!! You might as well leave them on all through your journey!! angry
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by spaceship(m): 8:11am On May 29, 2012
Considering d mentality of most nigerian drivers, using the hazard light at T-junctions may not be a bad idea since almost anyone behind or in front of u understand d language onve it is used at a t-junction. Mind, most nigerian drivers don't use trafficator to indicate d direction in wc they are moving. Buh u can atleast let dem know u're crossing d junction so u don't run into each other or obstruct traffic in any way.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2012
Hychineson: u are equally wrong. D light at d T junction indicates to d vehicles behing u dat u r moving straight. Hope u got me right?

Nope, you're wrong. Hazard lights are not a go-straight ahead indicator. When going straight across an intersection, you don't use any indicators - left, right or hazard.

Contrary to common belief, there are rules in the Nigerian Highway Code governing the use of indicator and hazard lights, the issue is a high proportion of Nigerian drivers, at home and abroad simply jump into a car and start driving. Without having ever taken a driving test, or studied the Highway Code.

Hazard lights are used:

*To warn drivers behind of a hazard ahead, stationary or moving.
*To warn drivers behind that you're driving well below the posted speed limit, due to vehicle malfunction.
*To warn drivers in either direction you're broken down and badly parked (vehicle projecting into traffic flow).
*To warn drivers in either direction, if you're parked in a restricted area, even if briefly. (Setting down or picking up a passenger, and likely to obstruct the free-flow of traffic, also applies to commercial vehicles making unscheduled deliveries, during peak periods).

There are no other acceptable uses.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by erico2k2(m): 9:38pm On Sep 15, 2012
when your car becomes a hazard to others, you can also use it on the high way if you are slowing down rapidly,ie you cut a corner and notice an obstacle in front and you wanna warn vehicles behind you.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by erico2k2(m): 9:41pm On Sep 15, 2012
redsun: Another question should be,why do nigerians drive with high beam lights at night,constantly blind folding on coming drivers in the process,instead of dipped beams?
In Nigeria you need to do that, there aint no good street light and the roads are not marked, even here in teh Uk, we use it as well, but you have to dswitch to ur deep ones if a vehicle is coming towards you or in front of you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Video Of Vehicles For The Cleaner Lagos Initiative / My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? / Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.