Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,391 members, 7,819,403 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". (1375 Views)

Attn: Seun,nairaland And Accidentalgenuis Vs Nigerian Women / Nairaland And Tribalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by predi(m): 9:30pm On Nov 19, 2007
[b][/b]most of the serious topics on nairaland hav always been marred by respondents on nairaland claiming-"generalization" on the part of posters. wu is really to pick out 'generalixation' in topics, posters i guess speak from personal point of views and should not be guilty of the ultimate sin of 'generalisation' on NIARALAND. or is it a way of deviatin from such topics. and pickin on xters on forums? hmmm- i wonda- ur tots pls

gotta go watch the stupid catalina gal, i'll be back
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by Nobody: 12:41am On Nov 20, 2007
wow, predi hon, ur not serious at all. . .well, are you still angry abt the "Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? " thread? c'mon, get over that na. . . undecided ppl make mistakes. . .its like an everyday dose.
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by chiogo(f): 12:19am On Nov 21, 2007
toyinrayo:

wow, predi hon, your not serious at all. . .well, are you still angry about the "Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? " thread? c'mon, get over that na. . . undecided people make mistakes. . .its like an everyday dose.
Hmm, as for people makin' mistakes, i wonder who those people might be
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by Nobody: 12:46am On Nov 21, 2007
doll, i know what you're thinking. . but everybody makes mistakes. . so calm down. am trying to tell predi here that generalizing is not sth new. . everybody does it.
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by chiogo(f): 12:50am On Nov 21, 2007
ok, kitty kat wink
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by almondjoy(f): 1:41am On Nov 21, 2007

Generalization is a foundational element of logic and human reasoning.

Generalization posits the existence of a domain or set of elements, as well as one or more common characteristics shared by those elements. As such, it is the essential basis of all valid deductive inference. The process of verification is necessary to determine whether a generalization holds true for any given situation.

The concept of generalization has broad application in many related disciplines, sometimes having a specialized context-specific meaning. what ia itit

For any two related concepts, A and B; A is considered a generalization of concept B if and only if:
every instance of concept B is also an instance of concept A; and
there are instances of concept A which are not instances of concept B.
For instance, animal is a generalization of bird because every bird is an animal, and there are animals which are not birds (dogs, for instance).
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/generalization

I have often wondered at that myself.  I wish people will look up words before they use them.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck--then there is a high probability it is a "duck"----Nothing wrong with generalization if over 50% of a representative sample share common characteristics.  What is the beef?

@Predi
I think it is a mark of half-baked education or semi illiteracy. Most need to get some sound education please!  Enrol in a class called "Introduction to Logic 100" as an elective--or go online for some free wikipedia courses.  Most Nigerian universities offer this--just for their own benefit.  The only questionable form of generalization in logic if that of "hasty generalization". 

Most Nairaland topics do not even apply since most participants are devoid of any rational capacity.  Anyone is free to make a "generalization" on his or her experiences and that is fine.  If it does not hold true for another--that is fine too.  Generalization making is part of a sound logical process--subjectively or objectively.  I would wish most would recognize that before disseminating ignorance with the over use of the word "generalization"!

This is plain English not vernacular.  Nairalanders, please most of you should go back to school and learn not to approach topics with rustic simplicity based on primitive emotional content or frugal passion!

Thank you for pointing that out!
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by predi(m): 9:15pm On Nov 21, 2007
@ toyinrayo i think the post speaks for itself and almond did justice to it in a way, i think yu shld sted of goin back three weeks
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by Nobody: 11:17pm On Nov 21, 2007
ok. . , sorry sad
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by ifyalways(f): 12:54am On Nov 23, 2007
toyinrayo:

ok. . , sorry sad
toyin toyin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
abeg una sorry ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by almondjoy(f): 10:38am On Nov 23, 2007
You are forgiven! wink
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 23, 2007
lol . . .thanks jare cheesy cheesy

Ifyalways. . .lol, thanks sha cool cool
Re: Nairaland And "the 'generalization' War". by predi(m): 10:30pm On Nov 25, 2007
@toyinrayo
awwwww,
my name sake, ddnt mean it like dat o! only tryn to let yu knw- d topic is not biased in any form, only tryn to address a problem i think i ve come to c on NAIRALAND.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Whites Demonize, Fear & Look Down On Blacks? / I Don't Like Nigerians?? / Imo-awka Festival Makes Nonsense Of The Two Days Public Holiday Declared By Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.