Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? (15978 Views)

A Degree At National Open University ,after Hnd / HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? / Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by oduz: 11:20am On Jun 14, 2012
For the records, age apart, in spite of other attainments that may discourage one to 'begin again', the Awujale of IJEBULAND enrolled for a degree in Law at the national open UNIVERSITY, just this year at the age of 78, in spite of several honourary doctorates, your sister should have nothing to fear or be ashamed of ....

http://nationalmirroronline.net/thumbnail.php?file=Oba_Sikiru_Adetona_566858620.jpg&size=article_large

http://www.punchng.com/news/awujale-enrols-for-law-at-78/

1 Like

Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by niddamugu(m): 1:06pm On Jun 14, 2012
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by Mbechun007: 2:11pm On Jun 14, 2012
If she thinks she can, she can, If she thinks she can't, she's aso right. A 70 year old just graduated from LASU...She's the only limitation I see. My advice to her is to follow her heart if it'll improve her self esteem and better her lot. It's been done the world over!
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by PLENTYNAIR(m): 2:29pm On Jun 14, 2012
its never too late to get knowledge.
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by IYANGBALI: 5:01pm On Jun 14, 2012
once you are 18 years old just forget it and look for a life partner

1 Like

Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by zeefever: 6:27pm On Jun 14, 2012
The only time its too late to get a degree is when you're six feet under.
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by sammisra: 7:01pm On Jun 14, 2012
thank u very much to the advisers becouse i have the same problem like this onmy own but iam 34 now and feeling realbad about not getting my first degree but is not my fault or my parents i straghtely accuse the soldier rigime becouse at their rigime no any important person in the country morethan them that why i drop it with out thinking what going to happen next but still am not late like you guys say. thank u all.
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by yamakuza: 7:36pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ghydyon: If a 72 years old man can stil b matriculated in d great oau dis year for(bsc)degree wat is a 38 years old wetin 4 ?

did all these 70 yr olds write and pass JAMB too? Even post ume?
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by yamakuza: 7:39pm On Jun 14, 2012
sammisra: thank u very much to the advisers becouse i have the same problem like this onmy own but iam 34 now and feeling realbad about not getting my first degree but is not my fault or my parents i straghtely accuse the soldier rigime becouse at their rigime no any important person in the country morethan them that why i drop it with out thinking what going to happen next but still am not late like you guys say. thank u all.

what do u plan to do with the degree when you get it?
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by tlops(m): 8:43pm On Jun 14, 2012
The only late time is when one is dead.

At 38 and living in Scotland, I think there is nothing late about the age.
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by Ghydyon(m): 1:54am On Jun 15, 2012
yamakuza:

did all these 70 yr olds write and pass JAMB too? Even post ume?
bliv me d papa wrote jamb plus post jamb last yr and was among d student dat was matriculated dis year.U can ask any current oau student in ife
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by tpia5: 1:58am On Jun 15, 2012
i think the lady is probably worried about marriage, since she sounds unmarried.

she should get the degree if not having one bothers her.
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by yamakuza: 2:15am On Jun 15, 2012
Ghydyon: bliv me d papa wrote jamb plus post jamb last yr and was among d student dat was matriculated dis year.U can ask any current oau student in ife

if a 70yr old can pass and matriculate, then all these people failing JAMB/NECO have no excuse!
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by escobar07(m): 12:18pm On Jun 15, 2012
when you're dead
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by loveayodele(m): 9:45pm On Jun 15, 2012
never too late to get a degree, it just being resolved abt it
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by BAKAREAAT(m): 12:56pm On Jul 25, 2012
Please,lady that is not the end of the world,there is nothing God cannot do.
i will advice you to take it easy
First of all thank God that you are alive and you can see ,breath,in short in a good medical condition.
i counsel you to pray and take your time and take it step by step.
all you need to do is to locate a particular degree course depending on your area ,you can attend an evening school degree
or better still opt for online .
It is well with you.
Thank You.
Taiwo Adewunmi Bakare(ACA,SAP Fi Certified)
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by nitrogen(m): 7:24pm On Jul 26, 2012
@op, when you are 6 fts under the ground, thats when it is late to get a degree.
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by Mustay(m): 5:43pm On Jul 29, 2012
nitrogen: @op, when you are 6 fts under the ground, thats when it is late to get a degree.

Obviously.

It's just a state of mind and perhaps, social phobia that limits us from doing certain things. At least, the last time I checked, the minimum age to enroll to a university in Nigeria was/is 16.
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by BAKAREAAT(m): 9:11am On Dec 24, 2012
It is not a state of Mind Because it is abnormal
1.You will be trouble because of your age
2.What do you want to use the Degree for
Comparing someone with A king that will be awarded marks even though he fails the course is a different thing with some that wants to use it to
to advance its career and besides that The king is a two diffent world to what we are talking about.
i Pray that the aforementioned we have the ability and capacity to go through the programme because the truth is that age count in everything we do in life it ignorant on the part of the world to say that age does not matter,it matters,take for instance you are running a degree at age 40 and above ,we
must not deceive ourselves that age has passed that person and again you can compare him or her with under 20 in the same class.Although they are running
a degree but they are not in the same world with is colleaqs who are under 20.Their thinking and what have you is totally different.
Age count in everything we do on earth.
Thank You
Taiwo{BSC Accting,ACA,SAP FI Certified}
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 05, 2014
wakagirl:
Will appreciate any advice.
Obasanjo has just started his PhD and there was this Pa Alimu Amosu that graduated at the age of 82 ....

Your sister could still do something great with the certificate she would earn within the next 4years therefore @ age 42/45 ...... She would have achieved her dream and become happy afterwards !!

1 Like

Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by rhymesnoni(m): 9:39pm On Feb 24, 2016
No limit age 4 xkul ai, besudes ah had a coursemate dat was above 50 nd yet evn graduatd wit a 2 1.
Re: When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? by asalimpo(m): 11:05am On Feb 25, 2016
Well, let's be realistic. For entry level work, competing with people 20yrs her junior. Hope fit no dey.
But for personal fulfillment,i'll say babe give i try. Go for it. That feeling she'll get when she completes the programme and holds that paper in hand, whether she's 45 or not is second to none. If she doesnt she'll regret all her life. So i say go for it.
Infact, bag the phD, just for keeps.
If she bags a phD @50, it could radically alter herself esteem for the rest of her life. She'll die happy and fulfilled and people will use her life story as a tale of inspiration for the rest of their days. Besides with a phD, she'll be defining a field. Pushing the boundaries of her field. She could continue to contribute to her field all her remaining years instead of use tools others created.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work / Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? / FG February Salary 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.