Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Happy Democracy Day! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happy Democracy Day! (10280 Views)

Happy Democracy Day/handover: What Are Your Prayers & Wishes For The President? / Happy Democracy Day / Happy Democracy Day Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by ndidibabe(f): 6:18am On May 29, 2012
odumchi: People shouldn't talk anyhow about democracy because, even though it's not working perfectly, it's much better than what people experienced in the miitary era. In the 90s, no one would dare criticize government officials publically, as some are doing now.

Be grateful for what you have.
So allowing public critisism is now an achievement? If i may ask, how has the critisism affected the price of goods? NEPA has failed us yet we cannot afford to buy petrol to fuel our generator. To eat na palava. Price of a tin peak milk is now N150, Garri that used to be poor man food has now turned to gold. A tuber of yam is now N300. Bag of rice is N9,000. Goverment owned Universities have been 'bastardised' with and the private ones charge as much as N700,000 per session.. How many people can afford that? There is no security of life. We live in fear! The roads are death trap.No employment for fresh graduates. I can go on and on. This democracy is meaningless to me. I derive no joy in it. Babagindas's era was far far better!
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Ejine(m): 6:25am On May 29, 2012
As far as I'm concerned, May 29th is Children's Day, and I'll choose to remember it that way, for Democracy is still an alien concept in this shithole called Nigeria.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by odumchi: 6:31am On May 29, 2012
ndidibabe: So allowing public critisism is now an achievement? If i may ask, how has the critisism affected the price of goods? NEPA has failed us yet we cannot afford to buy petrol to fuel our generator. To eat na palava. Price of a tin peak milk is now N150, Garri that used to be poor man food has now turned to gold. A tuber of yam is now N300. Bag of rice is N9,000. Goverment owned Universities have been 'bastardised' with and the private ones charge as much as N700,000 per session.. How many people can afford that? There is no security of life. We live in fear! The roads are death trap.No employment for fresh graduates. I can go on and on. This democracy is meaningless to me. I derive no joy in it. Babagindas's era was far far better!

At least now-a-days you can speak out about the things that you listed. During the regimes of Abacha or Babangida, if you were involved in a labor or food riot/protest you would most likely be shot or (if lucky) beaten severely. Nowadays, we have the opportunity to speak out about such things and that is a beginning.

Also...in the military era, most prices were government regulated while today's prices follow standard free market principles.

Please, don't uplift militarism. There's nothing good about a government that rules its people with a machine gun.

1 Like

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Nobody: 6:37am On May 29, 2012
To all the heroes who died to bring Nigeria true democracy, sorry. This isn't what you fought for, and we await a total overhauling, revolution and cleansing in all sectors of governance/administration. Until then, Nigeria isn't celebrating your efforts by declaring this day 'Democracy Day'. Its just another day of sleeping in longer and watching them from our TV sets for fear of Big Brother BH.

1 Like

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by ortopazz(m): 6:42am On May 29, 2012
democracy, for the same 13yearz we've spent under the corpus of law and order whch has translated into our constitution, we've mirrored failure of sectors who despite calls OF desperation, and tearz of pain have refused to work not because the machines rioted as to not being payed, NO, buh simply because the rudiments of getting this monsterz of labour whch could have allieviated our problems have been refused fruitiion, because certain monsterz who evn with trousserz, and abadas, who exchanged seats with the khaki boys have plunged a bright NIGERIAN FUTURE into an abysmal pit, we hope for better days, buh what is worth, wish al'yal good happy democray! Belovd NIGERIANS WHO BELIEVE IN THE NIGERIA OF OUR DREAMS! That our bannerz will some day sing to the tunes of Nigerians having one mic to thank God for a better day.

1 Like

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Nobody: 6:43am On May 29, 2012
undecidedIts as though this administration is 4yrs already. I just woke up to realise that its ONLY 1 year. SMH
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by infofirst(m): 6:46am On May 29, 2012
O God of creation, bless our dear Nigeria.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Mcfemad(m): 7:05am On May 29, 2012
Tell me, what is happy in this democracy?
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by zangiff(m): 7:07am On May 29, 2012
God bless Nigeria[b]God bless Nigeria[/b]God bless Nigeria
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by naptu2: 7:10am On May 29, 2012
The publication went viral. In universities and offices across the country, people were making photocopies of photocopies of the publication. Dr Tai Solarin was distributing copies to passersby on the streets.

It was alleged that the publication was a photocopy of a cover story by Ebony magazine, listing the richest black people in the world. The publication listed General Ibrahim Babangida as the richest man in the world and stated he owned a refinery and that his wife owned a boutique in Paris.

The Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP) had led to a massive devaluation of the naira and cuts in government spending. This had imposed hardship on Nigerians who were used to a strong currency and cheap imports. Starvation was the order of the day. People devised various means of staying alive. Feeding formulas included level 101, level 110, etc.

There were riots across the country, but the main flashpoints seemed to be Ife, Benin, Lagos and Zaria.

In Lagos, protesters overran police checkpoints and were marching to NTA headquarters, Victoria Island, but soldiers from Bonny Camp stopped them.

Students of the College of Medicine, University of Lagos formed an emergency team that operated from University of Lagos Students Union buses. They attended to students that had been shot, beaten or tear gassed by the security forces.

In Benin, Uniben students marched to the Army Children's School, got the children and placed them in front of the protest march. Soldiers ignored orders to shoot at the protesters. It was alleged that the governor of Bendel State, Colonel Tunde Ogbeha was on the street that day and that he pulled out his pistol and shot at the protesters. Thus started the crackdown.

The Nigerian Television Authority did not cover the protests. However, it broadcast a statement by the Johnson Company (publishers of Ebony Magazine) in which Ebony magazine denied publishing the story.

Dr Tai Solarin was arrested by the SSS and taken to their headquarters on Awolowo Road, Ikoyi. He was interrogated in the presence of journalists. He admitted that he did not see the original copy of Ebony Magazine.

However, the violence continued. The people were fed up of being sapped and wanted Babaginda to leave power. What followed was a brutal crackdown by the security forces.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by ziccoit: 7:13am On May 29, 2012
If a democracy is the government of people by the people and for the people;we should all start crying for this nation until our eyes run dry of tears.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by naptu2: 7:13am On May 29, 2012
(May 1986)

About twenty students and bystanders at Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) in Zaria massacred by security forces after staging peaceful protests over impending introduction of SAP. More students killed in protests against SAP and the ABU massacre during the following days at Kaduna Polytechnic, the University of Benin and the University of Lagos.

(April 1988)

Students demonstrate at 33 universities against fuel price increase demanded by IMF-inspired SAP.

(May-June 1989)

Dozens of people killed and hundreds arrested in riots and strikes against SAP in Lagos, Benin City and Port Harcourt. Government forced to offer a welfare program called a "SAP Relief Package," the establishment of a mass transit scheme and a “People's Bank,” and a review of the minimum wage.

(March-May 1990)

Students and faculty on campuses nationwide protest government's decision to accept a $150 million university restructuring loan from the World Bank, especially conditions requiring closure of many departments and programs. Military government stages armed assaults and hundreds of arrests, with hundreds more expelled from university system.

(May 1992)

Students at Universities of Ibadan and Lagos protest against implementation of Structural Adjustment Program, which they accused of being responsible for the deterioration of campus facilities and education programs as well as doubling of transport prices. Police respond by shooting at the demonstrators, wounding at least five students. Battles between young anti-government demonstrators and riot police in Lagos leave at least three dead and hundreds injured. The IMF and World Bank made the removal of subsidies and probable increase of the price of gasoline the main imperative in its negotiations with the Nigerian government.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by ziccoit: 7:24am On May 29, 2012
^^^^^ the idiots and ethnic warriors during the fuel subsidy protest should read this.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by naptu2: 7:42am On May 29, 2012
Was it Colonel Yohanna Madaki or Colonel John Madaki that ordered soldiers to shave, with broken bottles, the heads of civil servants who turned up late for work?

Please read page 173 of "You Must Set Forth at Dawn" by Wole Soyinka (Bookcraft: 2006). The humiliation of Professor Ola Rotimi by soldiers. The point at which Professor Soyinka asked "In Ola Rotimi's position, what would I have done? What was the right decision at such a moment? Why should anyone be subjected to such a dilemma?"
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by sayso: 7:58am On May 29, 2012
nonsense
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Cupidkc(m): 8:03am On May 29, 2012
emiye: Where are dividends of democracy , 13 years after ?

100 million Nigerians still living below $1 / day embarassed embarassed
Happy democracy day to all Nigerians, suffering and smiling...with a life expectancy of 47years.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Biggyd2: 8:08am On May 29, 2012
YAWN!!!

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Murphy7h4: 8:12am On May 29, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Ikengawo: I would like to show my appreciation for those that died to make the blessings we have today in Nigeria possible. All the journalists that were killed so that our press can be free. The death of MKO Abiola that showed us once and for all that military dictatorship will NEVER again be an acceptable part of our government. The death on Ken Saro Wiwa that brought light to the suffering of minorities in Nigeria and gave strength to the plight of the suffering voiceless, and a thanks to those whose efforts have made Nigeria's election system fairer and freer. I do acknowledge our system is an immensely imperfect and frustratingly flawed one. I do acknowledge the war is not yet won and I do acknowledge the enemies or our progress are still alive and in power, but I'm not going to pretend that this generation shouldn't be ashamed of the fact that we seem to think saying 'there's no democracy in Nigeria is a fair contribution to a fight for democracy that our predecessors gave their lives for. Their sacrifice has not been in vein. there has been progress and If we can give thanks to and revere their spirit there will be more progress.

We've made more progress then most of our african counter parts and show more promise and will to strike forward than most of the 3rd world.
I very much agree with your point of view
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Mavicol: 8:18am On May 29, 2012
Your Father must first take care of u before u in turn will take care of ur father.
Thank God for His love for Nigeria. But we still pray for freedom.
Score Card:
LEADERSHIP ----------------- F9 SQUARE
EDUCATION ------ E8
POWER ---------- F9
ECONOMY -------- E9
ROAD ----------- F9
RURAL DEVELOPMENT ---------- E8
INDUSTRIALIZATION ---------- E8
CORRUPTION ----------------- A1 SQUARE

Please add more if u knows.

God Help Nigeria.
God Help Democracy in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by ziccoit: 8:19am On May 29, 2012
Biggyd2: yawn

1 Like

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by fesse(f): 8:32am On May 29, 2012
Happy democracy day. The world giants passed thru this road Nigeria is passing today. One day by the special grace of God, we will get there. Stop complaining and contribute your quota to the betterment and growth of our dear Nation. Very proud and Happy to be a Nigerian.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by playto(m): 8:39am On May 29, 2012
methodman: When will everything be ok in this country? well que sera sera. There's really nothing worth celebrating.
are we celebrating democracy or failurecracy..imagine..light slf no dy...hw do u expect me to knw wats goin on in nigeria right nw...its a pity
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by bknight: 8:41am On May 29, 2012
Nigerians at home can say anything and all they want to say! But a set of people amuse me here. They are d valueless and very myopic bunch who work, sleep and wake up to cross leg in another man's land and without any sense of belonging saying they resent their country and utter things like they are not nigerians.
They are simply pathetic.
Nigeria is learning. Many ppl worshiping america has never wondered what had transpired in over 250yrs history of governance of dat country until they learned to conceal their corrupt practices (embezzlement, nepotism, ruthless businessmen etc). They had their own phase of corrupt politicians (even as we speak now), their own phase of power outages etc.

My problem with our leaders is dat they steal and eat with all 10 fingers. If they seriously put amenities in place but can't account for some. It may sound mediocre to allow them some 'biscuit' if d job is done well. But in dis case they don't do anything -they just gulp the whole thing, smiling.

To all of you reading this I salute ur courage as nigeirans cos even if we see things from different perspectives you must be concerned abt nigeria to be here viewing dis topic.

Today is a very emotional day for me. I re-dedicate my unwavering loyalty to my fatherland -where I belong cool LONG LIVE YOU AND I!

1 Like

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Lisa1: 8:41am On May 29, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]"United we stand, divided we fall"Say it is too right
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Biggyd2: 8:43am On May 29, 2012
FEAR DEY CATCH OUR PRESIDENT?

The Goodluck Jonathan administration has cancelled the 2012 Democracy Day ceremony that would have held in Abuja Tuesday (today).

However, President Goodluck Jonathan will make a national broadcast at 8 o’clock this morning to mark the anniversary.

A statement by the presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati, on Monday said the Jonathan broadcast would be aired live from the President’s office. The President’s speeches in the past have been widely said to have been pre-recorded.

There was no official reason adduced for cancellation of the Democracy Day activities but there were speculations that the government’s decision was informed by the security situation in the country, especially the fear of terrorists’ attack. SEE http://www.punchng.com/news/bombings-jonathan-cancels-democracy-day-ceremony/

You may want to look at your TV presently, Uncle Jona is postulating already. He is still eating cassava bread and abakiliki rice. He hasn't told us what he eats and drinks after those.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Nobody: 8:54am On May 29, 2012
What ℓ̊Ƨ̷̜̩̌̋ hap :opy a :obout this democracy day? What You ought T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ call sad democracy day ƒσя GEJ and his crew ☀̤̣̈̇f elite thiefs
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Biggyd2: 8:54am On May 29, 2012
UNILAG just give him a standing ovation right now Your University will be called MKO University. At least he didnt name it after himself. Please someone tell me anything new that this man has said??
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by jonnex: 9:01am On May 29, 2012
UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS HAS BEEN NAMED AFTER MKO ABIOLA BY THE FEDERAL GOVT, IS THIS ENOUGH TO HONOUR THIS MAN ?. OR WHAT IS/ARE YOUR YOUR SUGGESTIONS.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by psyqs(m): 9:15am On May 29, 2012
sharap plz
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Silensa(m): 9:23am On May 29, 2012
Am not a rebel but i dont c any reason 2 celebrateAm not a rebel but i dont c any reason 2 celebrateAm not a rebel but i dont c any reason 2 celebrate
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by 1025: 9:26am On May 29, 2012
@o.poster,
why not say happy civilian regime? why is it that nigerians are finding it difficult to differentiate the definition of democracy and what we have in nigeria?

the govt of the ppl, by the ppl and for the ppl.

we did not elect these criminals rather jega appoint/select them with the consent of the pdp criminals. we are not part of their decisions and they are not interested in our betterment. most of their decisions are anti masses. where is the democracy?

what we have here is CIVILIAN REGIME and not democracy.

a country where the president lies like a child without been questioned is far from democratic. he said, aso rock feeds on cassava bread and locally manufactured rice. what a lie. if he is saying the truth, how come he wanted N1b for feeding on locally manufactured foods?
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by StarrMatthieu: 9:30am On May 29, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Multi-billion Naira Meter Assembly Plant To Be Set Up In Lagos. / Obasanjo: The Man, The General, The President By Femmy Carrena Set T Be Launched / PAN Nigeria Hosts Air Force War College

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.