Stats: 3,159,264 members, 7,839,330 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge (18367 Views)

Crash: OOU Students Block Sagamu-ore Highway, Curse Driver / Pix's: MAU Babes (formerly UNILAG Babes) Protest Change Of Institution's Name / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by 2sign: 11:21am On May 30, 2012
uniben guy,dm go soon change una own 2 bob izua univ.or tony anenih uni,tank God i don comot.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by 4wardever(m): 11:22am On May 30, 2012
kudoxs: tot dis maulag stds r too classy to b doin such,dnt even kno if blockin d bridge will make GEJ change his mind,dey neva kno anytin,d man get agidi fa!

Even goats too can bite... when pushed to the wall.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by gegee(m): 11:23am On May 30, 2012
doctokwus: All these pple asking what are dey protesting for?Are their fadas d owners of d sch?What's wt d name,is it not 4u to just graduate?etc.Its dis same laid back attitude dat has put d country in dis mess:corruption,abuse of office,subsidy scams,d response,abeg what's our own,is it today".Somebody wakes up bc he's d president& decides to change d name of an institution& pple expect everybody to just sit back& accept it.Students av bn d harbingers of change worldwide& nobody shd discourage dese students frm exercising their legitmate& deep felt concern about this issue.Next time it wud b d name of d country& evn our personal names he wud change& dis same annoying,laid back attitude wud b adopted

wat are their reasons of protesting is that they dont like the new name or that the president does not have the power to change the name ? the president has the executive power to change the name of a federal institution so their protest is uncalled for
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by onila(f): 11:27am On May 30, 2012
blank: Why dem no go change their name to MALU, see as dem dey act like cow.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by sanchez4eva: 11:27am On May 30, 2012
Korrection:

Meet me at guest house this evening make we booze.....i dey come hall 2 come pick 2 chics..one for you..one for me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
=))º°˚˚˚°ºнa=DĦa=Dнaº°˚˚˚°º‎​...U na baba..
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by Nobody: 11:38am On May 30, 2012
Yale’s roots can be traced back to the 1640s, when colonial clergymen led aneffort to establish a college in New Haven to preserve the tradition of European liberal education in the New World. This vision was fulfilled in 1701, when the charter was granted for a school “wherein Youth may be instructed in the Arts and Sciences [and] through the blessing of Almighty God may be fitted for Publick employment both in Church and Civil State.” In 1718 the school was renamed “Yale College” in gratitude tothe Welsh merchant Elihu Yale, who had donated the proceeds from the sale of nine bales of goods together with 417 books and a portrait of King George I.
Yale Charter
Yale College survived the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783) intact and, by the end of its first hundred years, had grown rapidly. The nineteenth and twentieth centuries brought the establishment of the graduate and professional schools that would make Yale a true university. The Yale School of Medicine was chartered in 1810, followed by the Divinity School in 1822, the Law School in 1824, and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in 1847 (which, in 1861, awarded the first Ph.D. in the United States), followed bythe schools of Art in 1869, Music in 1894, Forestry & Environmental Studies in 1900, Nursing in 1923, Drama in 1955, Architecture in 1972, and Management in 1974.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by OK2NV4: 11:39am On May 30, 2012
[size=30pt]This is just stoopid![/size]
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by OK2NV4: 11:40am On May 30, 2012
2sign: uniben guy,dm go soon change una own 2 bob izua univ.or tony anenih uni,tank God i don comot.
you are a foool to compare Abiola to thugs.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by vega84(m): 11:41am On May 30, 2012
Stupid protest wat is big of skool name are they planing to stay in skool forever?
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by Nobody: 11:41am On May 30, 2012
ballabriggs: without consulting with the ALUMNI, the Unions, the Oba of Lagos,
What concerns them, na dem get d skool ni
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by buchibabe: 11:45am On May 30, 2012
nchewi:

If due process was followed, this situation wouldn't have occurred! Life is business! Individuals, countries n even institutions r brands!! We shouldn't mix business with sentiments. One of d few things that people use as their source of pedigree is their alumni!!! There is a lot about brand names that most people don't get. I remember when Virgin Nigeria airways was about 2 give up it's name for The Nigerian Eagle.... Even in d banking sector, some of us preferred d brand name n identity of some of d collapsed banks than that of their new owners! Imagine them changing Cross River State to Asamgidi state or maybe Lagos to Agbaya-Ewa state!!!! How would u like that?

Life is about pedigree....... Brand name, brand concept, brand identity!!! U only change that if u r looking out 4 a fresh start! Which am sure Unilag isn't!!!

Bros so pple like u with sense still dey?u spoke really well.but in as much as dey r after their brand name,I still think dey should just bone dis whole wahala n move on with their lives,focus on their education cos I wonder if all dis protest will move GEJ one bit.he's seemed to develope some sort of thick skin to so many issues .
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by Nobody: 11:46am On May 30, 2012
Babanginda commissioned 3rd mainland bridge, Babanginda annulled MKO election, MKO university students are protesting on 3rd mainland bridge.

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by onandon: 11:47am On May 30, 2012
Just do your 4 yrs(+extra) and graduate from the school. What's all the deviant behavior for ? I am sure their folks don't know they are about committing suicide on 3rd mainland bridge while Jona just finished his Cassava bread for breakfast and thinking on how to finish the daily 5 million naira food budget.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by MahatmaGhandi: 11:49am On May 30, 2012
Any government that wants to make head way knows that taking cognisance of the sentiments of its people is key to what ever it will achieve,if a government in an attempt to please its people in more than one occasion ends up enraging them then it won't be far fetched to say such government is far from the people it is leading,GEJ is a PHD holder for God's sake he should be more skillful in his dealings with people,it is said that the fact that you can does not mean that you should,GEJ should have consulted with the stake holders of unilag so as to get a clue of what the peoples reaction would be,I think it is either jonathan has no advisers or he has and the advisers want to see him fail. Then as regard those that see nothing wrong with the move I guess if you wake up one morning to find River niger has been renamed as river IBB you will have no problem with that after all the river content did not change,or he names uniben as tony anenih university you will also say its good (even though the school content will be same I wonder what the oba's reaction will be) the truth remains being president does not give him the right to do what we likes without due consultation with stake holders.and can I state here that the purpose of this move was to secure cheap yoruba political point,obviously it didn't go as planed.one advice for mr president,if you want to be respected by nigerians then you must go do your home work and study julius ceaser, martin luther king jr or better still travel to south africa and have a heart felt tete a tete with nelson mandela,he has alot to tell you.

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by Obijulius: 11:50am On May 30, 2012
If you are against the change of name pls protest by self-immolation (burn yourself for those who don't understand) or please and I mean please make yourself useful and shut up/stop whinning/stop typing poo on this forum.
I trust the cowards won't die for their school's name.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by moreshow(m): 11:51am On May 30, 2012
Enof of these maulag arrant noise jare. The same GEJ renamed one stadıum in Ibadan after Awolowo again no one talk about due process. Nw U ppu r nw crying 4 law & due process when Unilag was changed 2 MAULAG. It has come 2 stay o, make dem face dia studies or go buy another UTME. GEJ refused 2 return Salami despite recommendation by NJC wia is d seperation of power n rule of law? we dont fight 4 dis little matter when we have almighty BokoHaram, Electricity etc on awa minds
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by 4wardever(m): 11:52am On May 30, 2012
AyoJames: Babanginda commissioned 3rd mainland bridge, Babanginda annulled MKO election, MKO university students are protesting on 3rd mainland bridge.

What then is your conclusion?
GEJ is d one ruling not Babangida. And am sure he doesnt give a hoot what is happening dre.
Abeg talk anoda tin jor. It doesn't follow anything!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by 2cicily: 11:54am On May 30, 2012
saxywale: That is a very dangerous place to protest if you can't swim
true talk. If soldiers cm frm both end nw na prob b dat o!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by member479760: 11:57am On May 30, 2012
see wetin joblessness dey cause.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by soapdish(f): 12:05pm On May 30, 2012
What the students are protesting against is not the name rather it is the way and manner this particular change came about.
Unilag is a creation of an Act of Parliament and so any change in the provisions of the said Act MUST be through an amendment by the National Assembly. For GEJ to effectively and legally make this change, there must be an amendment and this was not done. He undermined the provisions of the Law Απϑ‎​ totally disregarded due process. This move can be acceptable under a military rule but not in a democratic setting.
It is only a court of law that can right this wrong and I know the unilag stakeholders will seek redress in ct.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by edicolove: 12:08pm On May 30, 2012
al-ahamad:
@breezybone
Nd all others who think the name is nothing but a name....
If you attend a school with a great brand, you'll know the psycological effects of the boast in moral u get from such great names......
I pride ma self as an ABUsite alumni, why take the joy of being an akokite into being a Maluite/moshoodite or whatever....
Dull move by a dull president who attended a dull school nd was voted in by dullards.......shikenan

All hail the intelligent one! Howz that ur GPA coming on? I only have a few questions for you. If you fail them, extra year straight!

1: Was there due process when the school was named UNILAG? Was it not a decision by the FG? So why should they contact you or call a national conference to rename it?

2. Is the school now too big and classy to bear Abiola's name? Is the so called brand more important than what Abiola's name stands for?

3. Does the name of the school have anything to do with the performance of the students? Do you know how many Nigerians are attending wonderful Universities all around the world with very ugly sounding names?

4. Do you know the meaning of fake life and inferiority complex?

I am so glad GEJ made this move because it has once again shown Lagos for what it really is. A city of fake people living fake lives. This is so shameful. Students protesting that their University name was changed to a name that doesn't have swag. Imagine how many Universities would love to bear Mandela's name, even outside SA.

Most Nigerians are suffering from acute inferio complexio syndrom a.k.a inferiority complex(coined). They are rubbishing Abiola's name and legacy and you my friend are a mega Arrow!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by michylabo(m): 12:10pm On May 30, 2012
AT of all the economic problems and issues facing the educational sector, the best Mr president could do was to change the names of some universities... This is a case of misplaced priority
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by OK2NV4: 12:13pm On May 30, 2012
soapdish: What the students are protesting against is not the name rather it is the way and manner this particular change came about.
Unilag is a creation of an Act of Parliament and so any change in the provisions of the said Act MUST be through an amendment by the National Assembly. For GEJ to effectively and legally make this change, there must be an amendment and this was not done. He undermined the provisions of the Law Απϑ‎​ totally disregarded due process. This move can be acceptable under a military rule but not in a democratic setting.
It is only a court of law that can right this wrong and I know the unilag stakeholders will seek redress in ct.
[size=20pt] a name change does not translate to a change of the existing and enabling act!
stop play acting into sh1t u dont know or can't comprehend[/size]
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by blackweaver(m): 12:27pm On May 30, 2012
moreshow: Enof of these maulag arrant noise jare. The same GEJ renamed one stadıum in Ibadan after Awolowo again no one talk about due process. Nw U ppu r nw crying 4 law & due process when Unilag was changed 2 MAULAG. It has come 2 stay o, make dem face dia studies or go buy another UTME. GEJ refused 2 return Salami despite recommendation by NJC wia is d seperation of power n rule of law? we dont fight 4 dis little matter when we have almighty BokoHaram, Electricity etc on awa minds

emm guy, university and stadium are not the same, you don't have certificates from stadiums, you don't identify yourself by the stadium you've been to, if your school's name that was changed (i'm assuming you went to a federal university) would you be excited about it?
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by seguntijan(m): 12:28pm On May 30, 2012
I prefer UNISWAG to MAULAG, haters go to hell. It still remain the school of first choice and the nations pride am just proud of the name. GREATEST AKOKITE

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by ballabriggs: 12:28pm On May 30, 2012
AyoJames:
What concerns them, na dem get d skool ni

Very shallow response. Go and read more about stakeholders and stakeholder analysis then you would understand better.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by awesome9ja: 12:30pm On May 30, 2012
Imagine talk. UNIBEN of all skul. Na beg ona go beg GEJ. Just pray dey dnt change ur school to Igbenidion University College. Na dere u go take no say UNIBEN no get level @ all..
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by Victorjoseph(m): 12:32pm On May 30, 2012
wink Y wont thy block the bridge wen Jona dont wants to grant their request.Dat 1 na smal more are still comin
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by flashit(f): 12:33pm On May 30, 2012
AyoJames: Babanginda commissioned 3rd mainland bridge, Babanginda annulled MKO election, MKO university students are protesting on 3rd mainland bridge.
4wardever:

What then is your conclusion?
GEJ is d one ruling not Babangida. And am sure he doesnt give a hoot what is happening dre.
Abeg talk anoda tin jor. It doesn't follow anything!
His post was sarcastic! Get the laugh out of it and move on. Typical nairalander with an uptight attitude! Shiooooooo!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Block 3rd-Mainland-Bridge by Haben1: 12:33pm On May 30, 2012
Y did he a'v 2 change d name? .. A student sleep at nite anded wake up d nxtday, and he's sch is been change to MALU sch, this is STUPIDITY .. .. Even d abiola daughter said dis doe's nt change anything abt is father, all what is father want is that, Nigeria to be a peace and one love country, the president we have is really insane .. D man is too much proud of him self, Nigeria a'v been under d PDP enchatment 4 a very long tym, plz, let VOTE 4 another PARTY GROUP. This Gej is just being push to do anything,

Sokoto State University Increases Tuition By 100%, Gives Students 7Day Ultimatum / Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU) - Admissions 2012/2013 / Fayose Reduces Tuition Fees, Introduces Flexible Payments In Ekiti University

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59