Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,729 members, 7,820,523 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Greater Works Than These - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greater Works Than These (810 Views)

Doing The Greater Works / Meet Woman Who Was Greater Than Virgin Mary In The Bible / Fornication or Homosexuality, Which is a Greater Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greater Works Than These by Nobody: 9:51am On May 30, 2012
I had a discussion with a friend who claimed that he would walk in the air soon because Jesus said His disciples would do Greater works than He did.

Is this faith or mere delusion ?
Re: Greater Works Than These by LogicMind: 10:34am On May 30, 2012
Well tell him that he and jesus are far behind.
We are already flying in the air while his jesus is still teaching them to walk.
We have even gone out of air into outer space.

Come to atheists and witness real greater works taking place already.
Re: Greater Works Than These by ijawkid(m): 10:38am On May 30, 2012
That guy is so damn deluded......

When Jesus talked about greater works he meant somethin else not performing miracles.....

Because no pastor,I repeat no pastor has done half of d miracles Jesus performed and will never......
Re: Greater Works Than These by dorox(m): 12:26pm On May 30, 2012
uhonmora: I had a discussion with a friend who claimed that he would walk in the air soon because Jesus said His disciples would do Greater works than He did.

To even ask that question when the answer is so glaringly obvious tells me that you are not too far removed from the delusional world your friend currently inhabits.
Re: Greater Works Than These by Nobody: 12:53pm On May 30, 2012
dorox:
To even ask that question when the answer is so glaringly obvious tells me that you are not too far removed from the delusional world your friend currently inhabits.

of course i know the answer is obvious. I was hoping to elicit responses from those christians (such as christ embassy members) who believe they will literally do greater works than Jesus .
Re: Greater Works Than These by dorox(m): 1:14pm On May 30, 2012
uhonmora:

of course i know the answer is obvious. I was hoping to elicit responses from those christians (such as christ embassy members) who believe they will literally do greater works than Jesus .
Now i get you but i think that you should have been more forthright in your post stating your position of finding his claim to be rediculously whacky, however i must apolgise for my somewhat harsh reply
Re: Greater Works Than These by Image123(m): 5:32pm On May 30, 2012
uhonmora: I had a discussion with a friend who claimed that he would walk in the air soon because Jesus said His disciples would do Greater works than He did.

Well, you've got a wrong perspective with your friend. Miracles are by the way to God, there are no miracles in Heaven in that sense. Satan does miracles too BTW. What Jesus had in mind is the works of righteousness, and of love(they are interconnected anyway). It's easier for a lame hater of God to be made to walk than for him to be made righteous. Jesus alluded to this fact when it said. Mat 9:5 For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?
Mat 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

God counts forgiveness of sins, and walking in righteousness a greater work than healing miracles or turning water to crude oil. It is man who is not spiritual nut natural/physical that counts the 'magic' he sees as a greater work. The primary purpose of Christ was to save people from sin. And if that purpose is not fulfilled in your life, you are yet a failure whatever else you may receive.
When Jesus was on earth, He was not in the frame to unite His disciples or empower them like after He went to the Father.

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
When He went to the Father, then He got us a right, and the Holy Spirit, and sanctification. Then the disciples were united and in one accord. Then they lived without fear of anything, in holiness and in righteousness ALL the days of their lives. That's the greater work God wants to achieve in every life, not the tele-film tricks people think of. It is righteousness and righteous acts that exalt a nation, not free manna, rice donations and miraculous monies in the bank account of MOGs.
Re: Greater Works Than These by ijawkid(m): 7:05pm On May 30, 2012
Image123:
Well, you've got a wrong perspective with your friend. Miracles are by the way to God, there are no miracles in Heaven in that sense. Satan does miracles too BTW. What Jesus had in mind is the works of righteousness, and of love(they are interconnected anyway). It's easier for a lame hater of God to be made to walk than for him to be made righteous. Jesus alluded to this fact when it said. Mat 9:5 For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?
Mat 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

God counts forgiveness of sins, and walking in righteousness a greater work than healing miracles or turning water to crude oil. It is man who is not spiritual nut natural/physical that counts the 'magic' he sees as a greater work. The primary purpose of Christ was to save people from sin. And if that purpose is not fulfilled in your life, you are yet a failure whatever else you may receive.
When Jesus was on earth, He was not in the frame to unite His disciples or empower them like after He went to the Father.

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
When He went to the Father, then He got us a right, and the Holy Spirit, and sanctification. Then the disciples were united and in one accord. Then they lived without fear of anything, in holiness and in righteousness ALL the days of their lives. That's the greater work God wants to achieve in every life, not the tele-film tricks people think of. It is righteousness and righteous acts that exalt a nation, not free manna, rice donations and miraculous monies in the bank account of MOGs.

Lol

Ur so correct......

Nice explanation.....

When Jesus said greater works he never meant miracles....

He meant works of rigtheousness and also d preaching and disciple making work.......

Jesus preached in jerusalem,but his apostles and early christians and true christians today has preached round d whole world....

Infact it was because of that work that d holy spirit was sent....

(1) (Reply)

On The Use Of Transparent Offering Plates! / Dealing With The Spirit Called Fear. / Which Religion Will Satan Be Comfortable With if Forced to Choose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.