Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,505 members, 7,954,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:40 PM

If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? (11741 Views)

Raising Positive Kids In A Negative World / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? / How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by PrettyCindy(f): 8:16pm On May 31, 2012
I know two person who had to change their name; one was formally Maureen while the other was Endurance. In some cases people are told by their pastors to to change and even provide them with new names.
Those who bear Endurance or Patience are told that they will always encounter stumbling blocks to in their various endeavours, Maureen means darkness, Linda means snake and so on and the list continues........

My name means goddess of the sun, someone actually told me to change it or stop answering it but i didn't.
So what do you think about names with negative meaning. Did you ever change your name?
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Enoquin(f): 5:00am On Jun 01, 2012
Mine means gift...so no need to change but there are a number of people I have heard of that changed their names and rightly so.
Our forebears in Akwa Ibom actually gave some silly names to their children, names were given according to the circumstances surrounding the child when he/she was born...so people had names like 'burden' 'mother of witches' etc. These people eventually had their names changed.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by PrettyCindy(f): 5:40am On Jun 01, 2012
I wonder why our grand and great grand parents named their children that way. I want to believe they copied such actions from the bible because virtually all children that were born were named based on the situation that surrounded their birth.

Just yesterday my mum told me that i had a grand aunt (i never knew her) whose name was "Igbon" meaning a slave. Can you imagine?
One of my aunt's name means "my friends are not many" and believe me when i say this my aunt who lived with us before getting married never had and still doesn't have friends.

Na wa sha, i will never give my children horrible or funny names.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by micklplus(m): 6:26am On Jun 01, 2012
Yeah. Would change it. Infact, I didn't just change my name, I changed my surname.

1 Like

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by moremi2008(m): 6:41am On Jun 01, 2012
Nigerians are a superstitious lot! Your First Lady is called Patience... she sure didn't have to wait too long to gain access to Nigeria's oil wells! She's way richer than all the "Blessings" in Nigeria combined!

Of course, I would consider changing a name for practical purposes. Nobody wants to go around with a name like "sorrows" or "accident". However, these spiritual interpretations of names are just nonsense ojuju superstitions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by PrettyCindy(f): 9:41am On Jun 01, 2012
But Moremi you will agree with me that things have changed. I mean parents don't name their children anyhow again compared to the olden days. Parents now find out the meaning of names before naming their kids. I bet in those days they didn't else why would parents name their daughter Maureen - darkness?
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by EfemenaXY: 1:12pm On Jun 01, 2012
I never knew maureen meant darkness!

Anyway, I'm a firm believer that the name you give a child follows him / her. Silly it may sound but well, that's my take.

I know someone whose middle name means money problems! Now why on earth would a parent name a child such? And the guy nor gree change / remove that name. Well to cut a long story short, this guy really does have money problems. Up and down, up and down it is with him sha.

Got a friend who named her daughter Zoe meaning life - now that's a real name in my opinion smiley

1 Like

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by penelope9: 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2012
@poster.Maureen means great and is from celtic origin.Google is your friend.Some people are barren because of the atrocities they commited in the past couple with their wicked heart.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by PrettyCindy(f): 7:18pm On Jun 01, 2012
penelope9: @poster.Maureen means great and is from celtic origin.Google is your friend.Some people are barren because of the atrocities they commited in the past couple with their wicked heart.

Really? I will confess that i didnt really check for the meaning. It was just lasty week i met an old friend and neighbour in a saloon, i called out her name (Maureen) and she politely told me that she has stopped bearing the name for almost 2yrs and the reason she gave was that the name means darkness. Anyway thanks. I will google it when i logg off from nairaland.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 01, 2012
i choose wat i believe in and not wat is in d book. Whether maureen, linda etc, it is d meaning u give 2 ur name dat matters. Ur name may have d best meaning in this world but some pple will still talk bad about u, so just be urself, u will definately be appreciated by those who sees beyond ur name, dat is d true u.

1 Like

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by slimyem: 8:26pm On Jun 01, 2012
a name is a defining identity...nothing more.
I used to not like my surname when i was a kid because i thought it had something to do with a traditional diety.
Now,i don't care!
My name doesnt in no way define,who i am or who i will be..and i dom't wanna hear otherwise!

2 Likes

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Agimor(m): 8:29pm On Jun 01, 2012
@pretty chiddy whats your thought when people change their names?take a dip breath and think about it.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Afam4eva(m): 8:31pm On Jun 01, 2012
Change is the only constant thing in life but I hate it. My surname means something bad but I'm not changing it anything soon.

1 Like

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by freecocoa(f): 8:35pm On Jun 01, 2012
Oh well my names have great meaning and so far,I'll say the lord has been so good despite all that must have happened to me in life.smiley

As much as i want to believe that the sentiments people attach to names are superstitious,I must say i have an aunt whose name means "Girls should stop coming",her mother named her that because she was giving birth to only girls(4 before my aunt),ridiculous as it may sound,a boy came after my aunt,could be a coincidence but hey.

Anyways,I just know I'd give my children lovely names,I already have them picked out wink.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Havilah93(m): 8:40pm On Jun 01, 2012
well, it just depends on the mentality of the carrier of the name. The person may decide to keep such a name, but in the society we find ourselves in, we are influenced by peer pressure from friends, family, etc
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by tpia5: 8:55pm On Jun 01, 2012
maureen could either mean black [not darkness], as a latin form [same root word as mauretania and moor], or it could be derived from the hebrew miriam.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 01, 2012
freecocoa: Oh well my names have great meaning and so far,I'll say the lord has been so good despite all that must have happened to me in life.smiley

As much as i want to believe that the sentiments people attach to names are superstitious,I must say i have an aunt whose name means "Girls should stop coming",her mother named her that because she was giving birth to only girls(4 before my aunt),ridiculous as it may sound,a boy came after my aunt,could be a coincidence but hey.

Anyways,I just know I'd give my children lovely names,I already have them picked out wink.
cocoa, if ¶ happen τ̅o be Ūя̅ husband, u will HªvΣ τ̅o throw those name u already picked down AWAY! Йą u wan giv my pikin names? Shioooooo! º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º‎​
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by timpaker(m): 9:01pm On Jun 01, 2012
why change it? Lets assume one changes it, wont it still have a psychological tattoo on the person cuz one way or the other something would have to remind u of your true name, especially when something goes wrong.
My advicr is simpy take a broom and flog whoever gave u that name be it at the cementary or at home.....
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by oayombo: 9:01pm On Jun 01, 2012
I have a friend that changed part of his surname....orisa to oluwa, his dad disowned him afterwards.

1 Like

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 01, 2012
M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ real native name means anger or outrage. I observe that whenever I get provoked I rage in such a manner that if you had not known me in M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ calm,you will be totally scared of me. But then I am working of what makesme angry cos I know how I react to them. I still bear the name
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by ebamma(m): 9:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
i dont think a name can change a man's destiny,only a man can change his destiny , have seen people answering the name success but are pushing wheelbarrow,have seen a man answering goodluck but is an okada man,to show u that a name cannot make or break a man,only a man can decide his destiny
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by chucky234(m): 9:26pm On Jun 01, 2012
My sister inlaw had two funny names including Cynthia but has since changed it to Mercy after troubled years,she was actually advised by a pastor to change after her deliverance. Her life story has since changed from a troublesome one to grace filled one,I personally think names has effect on the bearer.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by oc2fish: 9:55pm On Jun 01, 2012
In my own case i change my name becos all my class mates (Yoruba) cannot
pronouce it or turn it into a joke. now i am regreating my action becos
the name is associated with great people like Ihema(actor) and roadsafety
boss.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by chemberlin(m): 10:08pm On Jun 01, 2012
Note: name is an identifier what what u are or what u will become...i knw of somepple their name is UBA(Igbo) and wealth(English)...but he is not wealthy...so what are u talking about...will advice we work so hard to achieve to that greater height.....
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by cowgurl: 10:12pm On Jun 01, 2012
If my name had a negative meaning, I'l surely change it.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Ignatio(m): 10:40pm On Jun 01, 2012
My sister on discovering that her name Linda means snake, she immediately dropped it ( btw I don't see anything bad in the name snake). Anyone that called her the name met a harsh response. I would do the same if I have a bad name. Mine means son of fire and I like it.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by ronkebp(f): 10:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
Names and their meanings are very important in one's life. If you don't like your name or the meaning, there is no reason why it cannot be changed.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by realsammie(m): 10:51pm On Jun 01, 2012
well my name is SAMSON. pls will it be cool if i change it because i have been thinking about this for a long time now.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by mrmayor(m): 11:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
Ignatio: My sister on discovering that her name Linda means snake, she immediately dropped it ( btw I don't see anything bad in the name snake). Anyone that called her the name met a harsh response. I would do the same if I have a bad name. Mine means son of fire and I like it.

LINDA.

Linda meaning and name origin

Linda \l(i)-nda, lin-da\ as a girl's name is pronounced LIN-dah. It is of Spanish origin, and the meaning of Linda is "pretty". Originally derived from "linde", a German name element referring to the lime tree. The name also existed as a part of other English names such as Belinda and Melinda. Actresses Linda Evans, Linda Hunt; singer Linda Ronstadt; journalist Linda Ellerbee; fashion designer Lindka Cierach.

Linda has 18 variant forms: Lin, Lindalee, Lindee, Lindey, Lindi, Lindie, Lindira, Lindka, Lindy, Linn, Lynda, Lynde, Lyndy, Lyn, Lynn, Lynne, Lynnda and Lynndie.

For more information, see also related names Adelinde, Alinda, Arlinda, Barinda, Calandra and Derinda.

Baby names that sound like Linda are Lenda and Lind.

View a list of the 12 names that reference Linda.

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Linda

Belinda meaning and name origin

Belinda \b(e)-lin-da, bel(i)-nda\ as a girl's name is pronounced ba-LIN-dah. [b]It is of Italian origin, and the meaning of Belinda is "beautiful". [/b]Probably from Italian "bella" (see Bella) with the suffix -inda, or with the Germanic "lind" meaning "serpent, dragon" or "linde" meaning "soft, tender". It was used by Sir John Vanbrugh for a character in his comedy "The Provok'd Wife" (1697) and by Alexander Pope for the society beauty in his poem "The Rape of the Lock" (1712). Has upper-class English connotations. Pop singer Belinda Carlisle.

Belinda has 12 variant forms: Bel, Belenda, Belindra, Belle, Bellinda, Bellynda, Belynda, Bindy, Linda, Lindie, Lindy and Velinda.

For more information, see also related names Clarinda and Elinda.

Baby names that sound like Belinda are Blanda and Blondy.

View a list of the 5 names that reference Belinda.

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Belinda

[size=13pt]Where do Nigerians get meaning of Oyibo names that are different from the Original Owners of the NAME? [/size]

1 Like

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by sylve11: 11:22pm On Jun 01, 2012
realsammie: well my name is SAMSON. pls will it be cool if i change it because i have been thinking about this for a long time now.

no u don't have to change that name, i'd suggest go to the nearest zoo; seek permission from the zookeeper. walk straight to where lions are been kept, then look for one to ''Kolobi'' A.K.A ''Tighneck''. Exactly what Samson did in the Bible. cool
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Ignatio(m): 11:35pm On Jun 01, 2012
mrmayor:

[size=13pt]Where do Nigerians get meaning of Oyibo names that are different from the Original Owners of the NAME? [/size]

We saw it from a book.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by freecocoa(f): 11:38pm On Jun 01, 2012
Jenams: cocoa, if ¶ happen τ̅o be Ūя̅ husband, u will HªvΣ τ̅o throw those name u already picked down AWAY! Йą u wan giv my pikin names? Shioooooo! º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º‎​
Yay!Lucky me,you are not my husband tongue

Then again,its not like my husband won't have a say in what names our kids bear,I just know whatever names we give them will be great and i'll play an important role in making sure that happens.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Is A Brideprice Or Dowry Too "expensive" / Fire Kills Five Children In Lagos / His Wife Always Ran away when ever they Exchange words (For Married people)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.