Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,068 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? (25299 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Why Do Most Girls Gets So Fat After Marriage? / How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by otilowaju(f): 12:47pm On May 03, 2011
I've been married for about six years and have maintained the same signature (which obviously shows my maiden name). I observed over time that many of the married women I know, friends and colleagues, use their husbands' name. I'd have loved to change mine but I dread the challenges of notification. If you changed yours, did you have to inform the public - your bank, CSCS, office or any other places? Also, don't you sometimes forget and still sign the old signature. Please react. Thanks all.

1 Like

Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by zayhal(f): 1:43pm On May 03, 2011
No, I didn't change my signature and I don't plan changing it. Is it necessary? I don't think so.

5 Likes

Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by InkedNerd(f): 2:01pm On May 03, 2011
I don't plan on changing mine either. I don't see the point in doing so. You have your name and I have mine. If marriage is about union, then as a woman, why am I the only one expected to change my name? I'm not down with hyphenations either unless both our names are hyphenated. I guess for your question, you'd need to show the banks, offices, etc. some sort of proof of the name change maybe. I'm not entirely sure how to do that though undecided
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by ifyalways(f): 2:09pm On May 03, 2011
No,I did not change my signature.It's pointless IMO.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 03, 2011
My initials will remain the same even after marriage so really, there's no need! undecided
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 03, 2011
Lol I did not change mine. My initials have my first name and my last name and my siggy has my first name and papa's name.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by N101: 4:37pm On May 03, 2011
It's too much hassle if you have loads of documents etc signed with your maiden name signature.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by Blazay(m): 10:01am On May 04, 2011
No, I have a hyphenated married name.
Married, divorced or single. . . I will never change them because of the children. cool
The day he phocks up, I would just chop of his damn name.
My father's name MUST be present on ALL my documents. cool

If I did not put that name of his. . .I would not have one moment of PEACE!
He would pester the living daylight ourrrrra moi till I got it changed.
It was VERY iimportant to him. . . cheesy
TYPICAL African man.
I don't have 'pawa' for that kind of stress for nothing please.

1 Like

Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by otilowaju(f): 2:35pm On May 04, 2011
@Blazay, I thot u were a man shocked

@ N101, yes, the hassles, how I dread them!!

Now, where are the women that changed theirs and what was it like? BR
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by oada: 2:43pm On May 04, 2011
I didnt change mine, but i know of a woman who didnt change hers for many years , then she travelled to America for some business or so, and she was in a situation where she was required to get something after she had filled a form and signed her signature, she signed and was told that her signature has nothing to so with her name, i.e her signtaure was totally different from what she has written as her name, so she had to change it to reflect her name. so if you are married and your signature as a single lady is totally off what your new name is, then please change it, you never know when it would be a problem.  Mine somehow fits into my married name so i didnt bother changing it.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by gidson12(m): 2:44pm On May 04, 2011
and this useless thread made the front page, SMH
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by oladcity(m): 2:44pm On May 04, 2011
crap
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by otukpo(f): 2:53pm On May 04, 2011
@ OP

No.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by JeSoul(f): 3:06pm On May 04, 2011
Interesting replies so far.

otilowaju:

I've been married for about six years and have maintained the same signature (which obviously shows my maiden name). I observed over time that many of the married women I know, friends and colleagues, use their husbands' name. I'd have loved to change mine but I dread the challenges of notification. If you changed yours, did you have to inform the public - your bank, CSCS, office or any other places? Also, don't you sometimes forget and still sign the old signature. Please react. Thanks all.
I changed mine - name and signature - with pleasure. Everything from drivers license to banks to my passport etc. Wasn't that hard, just took a bit of time for it to reflect in govt records. The initials were the same so modifying my old siggy wasn't that much trouble either. And yes! I also occasionally relapse and sign my old signature by accident lol. I work in a research lab, we have to sign our lab books, my co-worker commented to me that my sig was different in a few places lol.

Its never really been a big deal to me, I see it as a sign of unity and I know some will say then why doesn't the guy change his etc lol, don't ask me. Each couple should decide which one works for them. If that will make him happy and its no biggie to me, then I'll do it with pleasure.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by nnekatv: 3:08pm On May 04, 2011
Of course I changed it and it should be changed.

Some women pick the silliest things to "assert" themselves on.

1 Like

Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by seyibrown(f): 3:15pm On May 04, 2011
oada:

I didnt change mine, but i know of a woman who didnt change hers for many years , then she travelled to America for some business or so, and she was in a situation where she was required to get something after she had filled a form and signed her signature, she signed and was told that her signature has nothing to so with her name, i.e her signtaure was totally different from what she has written as her name, so she had to change it to reflect her name. so if you are married and your signature as a single lady is totally off what your new name is, then please change it, you never know when it would be a problem.  Mine somehow fits into my married name so i didnt bother changing it.

Your signature can consist of any characters you want. Your signature does not have to have elements of your name. Thumbprints have nothing to do with one's name and are accepted in place of signature in most cases. Your signature is your unique sign, not your name or part of your name. Nobody can force you to include your name in your signature, or change it. My signature for example does not read my name at all! It is coded, and only once in my life have I ever had to clearly write out what it consists of!

6 Likes

Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by sulad82i(m): 3:16pm On May 04, 2011
Interesting,
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by princeonx: 3:17pm On May 04, 2011
I didn't change mine either! I have one of those signatures that have nothing to do with my name. wait ohh I forget say I be the husband
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by TawaTemi1(f): 3:23pm On May 04, 2011
@oada, signature is the same either pre-marriage or post-marriage.

It is only when u r using your hussy's name and that requires that u go for change of name notification at the High Court. Your initials remain the same though.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by nkeony(f): 3:50pm On May 04, 2011
I use both my maiden name signature and married name signature which I created after I married 6 years ago as and when necessary. My bank accounts etc remain in my maiden name but on business letters etc where I am known by my married name I use that signature.

You don’t have to change it , however if you are signing documents in your married name then it only makes sense to have a signature that corresponds, especially if it’s one of those signatures where the letters and initials are legible.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by Iyineda(m): 4:10pm On May 04, 2011
prince_onx:

I didn't change mine either! I have one of those signatures that have nothing to do with my name. wait ohh I forget say I be the husband

Best post of this thread.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by ccobiora(f): 4:19pm On May 04, 2011
I changed my surname cos of marriage. My signature even carries my grandfather name and fathers name which I won't change .lol
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 04, 2011
inked nerd, your always a top 4 poster, in every romantic post, daamn cu, is it necessary? and ur comment it never aligns with the poster own, just for once
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by MeGaStReEt: 4:42pm On May 04, 2011
another stewpid thread. where is Mr. Mrs. Chima?
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by ayomifull(f): 4:48pm On May 04, 2011
I changed mine immediately after i got married and havent for once mistakenly sign the old one. No big deal really, if you are comfortable with it its nothing important, i changed mine just to reflect my new name because the old one clearly show my maiden name which i dropped.
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by cold(m): 4:50pm On May 04, 2011
Much ado about nothing
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by blosomy(f): 5:00pm On May 04, 2011
Get a life all of you,

1 Like

Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by seyibrown(f): 5:28pm On May 04, 2011
^^^ grin grin Why you dey vex now?
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 5:35pm On May 04, 2011
Na wa o

Jesoul well done
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by oluchioke(f): 5:47pm On May 04, 2011
I changed my signature
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by emmatok(m): 5:47pm On May 04, 2011
Dem don come here again? shocked shocked shocked shocked

After 20 pages for here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-657963.608.html#msg8258576

Some women no dey tire o o o. angry angry angry
Re: Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? by jamesmax: 5:55pm On May 04, 2011
its not necessary to change signatures after marriage

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Majiyagbe-Street In Lagos, Husbands Welcome Wives's Lovers / Reno Omokri: When Your Parents Compare You To Your Successful Mates, Do This... / "Last Born": 5 Things You Can Relate To As The Youngest Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.