Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay (1398 Views)

Stay In This Bathroom For A Day And Get 75 Million Dollars us. Yay Or Nah? / Top Ten Spelling Bee Freakouts / Yay! My Cybercafe Got An Inverter! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by papatosibe: 3:45am On Jun 01, 2012
Seun Osewa heard a few words he didn't know during the National Spelling Bee, but never when he stepped to the microphone.

Calm and collected throughout, the 14-year-old from Ogun State [/b]spelled "[b]Olodo rabata," an Ijebu-derived word that means oriefokasibe, to win the 85th Scripps National Spelling Bee on Thursday night. He beat out eight other finalists in the nerve-wracking, brain-busting competition.

After he spelled the word,he looked from side to side, as if unsure her accomplishment was real, and, oddly, Hhe was not immediately announced as the winner. Applause built slowly, and a few pieces of confetti trickled out before showering him. Then his younger brother ran on stage and embraced him, and he beamed.

"I knew it. I'd seen it before," Ekiti Bear said of the winning word. "I just wanted to ask everything I could before I started spelling."

A coin collector and Sherlock Holmes fan, Musiwa aspires to become a physician or neurosurgeon. he also plays with himself whenever he is free and is fluent in Egun, a language spoken in the Nigerian state of Badagry.

A semifinalist 10 years ago, OAM4J became the first ever Nigeria-African winner and 0th in the last 14 years, a run that began in 1999 when[b] Ileke-Idi[/b] first competed and was later featured in the documentary "Awon eleyi won badt gaan."

His parents and younger brother embraced him onstage, along with her maternal grandparents, who traveled from[b] Ode-remo, Nigera[/b], to watch her.

Beaf, Delta, finished second after misspelling "fisherman" - which means a fish hunter, a Tilapia catcher. While many spellers pretend to write words with their fingers, the 45-year-old Alhaji Harem had an unusual routine - he mimed typing them on a keyboard. Kobojunkie and Tpia [/b]frequently high-fived each other after spelling words correctly during the marathon competition.

Coming in third for the first year was [b]Gbawe of Lagos ACN
. At 56, the college graduate was the most corrupt of the nine finalists, and he has one more year of eligibility remaining.

Gbawe's prize haul includes $30,000 in cash, a trophy, a $2,500 savings bond, a $5,000 scholarship, $2,600 in reference works from the Encyclopedia Britannica and an online language course.
Re: Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by Beaf: 5:21am On Jun 01, 2012
A coin collector and Sherlock Holmes fan, Musiwa aspires to become a physician or neurosurgeon. he also plays with himself whenever he is free and is fluent in Egun, a language spoken in the Nigerian state of Badagry.

Lol! So Musiwa has given up on "electricity engineering?"
Re: Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by Ejine(m): 5:27am On Jun 01, 2012
The Nigerian state of Badagry? undecided
Re: Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by Olaone1: 5:54am On Jun 01, 2012
papatosibe: Seun Osewa heard a few words he didn't know during the National Spelling Bee, but never when he stepped to the microphone.

Calm and collected throughout, the 14-year-old from Ogun State [/b]spelled "[b]Olodo rabata," an Ijebu-derived word that means oriefokasibe, to win the 85th Scripps National Spelling Bee on Thursday night. He beat out eight other finalists in the nerve-wracking, brain-busting competition.

After he spelled the word,he looked from side to side, as if unsure her accomplishment was real, and, oddly, Hhe was not immediately announced as the winner. Applause built slowly, and a few pieces of confetti trickled out before showering him. Then his younger brother ran on stage and embraced him, and he beamed.

"I knew it. I'd seen it before," Ekiti Bear said of the winning word. "I just wanted to ask everything I could before I started spelling."

A semifinalist 10 years ago, OAM4J became the first ever Nigeria-African winner and 0th in the last 14 years, a run that began in 1999 when[b] Ileke-Idi[/b] first competed and was later featured in the documentary "Awon eleyi won badt gaan."

His parents and younger brother embraced him onstage, along with her maternal grandparents, who traveled from[b] Ode-remo, Nigera[/b], to watch her.

Beaf, Delta, finished second after misspelling "fisherman" - which means a fish hunter, a Tilapia catcher. While many spellers pretend to write words with their fingers, the 45-year-old Alhaji Harem had an unusual routine - he mimed typing them on a keyboard. Kobojunkie and Tpia [/b]frequently high-fived each other after spelling words correctly during the marathon competition.

Coming in third for the first year was [b]Gbawe of Lagos ACN
. At 56, the college graduate was the most corrupt of the nine finalists, and he has one more year of eligibility remaining.

Gbawe's prize haul includes $30,000 in cash, a trophy, a $2,500 savings bond, a $5,000 scholarship, $2,600 in reference works from the Encyclopedia Britannica and an online language course.
grin

Sup . . . sup, Papa?
Re: Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by Odunnu: 6:10am On Jun 01, 2012
Ola stop following this Paapa around. Cant you see he's krazie?
OP: You can be fun being with sometimes sha
Re: Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by Olaone1: 6:17am On Jun 01, 2012
Odunnu: Ola stop following this Paapa around. Cant you see he's krazie?
OP: You can be fun being with sometimes sha
grin grin grin grin
He's moi bruva. Itching to know him wink

How are you sha, beauty? Hope yours boys/girls in your section dey behave oo.
Re: Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by oderemo(m): 6:22am On Jun 01, 2012
Drogba dey 4 your head.
Re: Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by kokoA(m): 7:25am On Jun 01, 2012
I thought Musiwa was a geographer..
Re: Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by PointB: 7:31am On Jun 01, 2012
kokoA: I thought Musiwa was a geographer..

Sure, he has a Masters Degree in Satellite Pictures! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Win Spelling Bee . . . Yay by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 01, 2012
PointB:

Sure, he has a Masters Degree in Satellite Pictures! grin grin

Choi!!! grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Rare And Extraordinary Video Of A Leopard Attacking A Python / How Can I Contact Seun / 2015 Armed Forces Remembrance Day:my Tribute To The Fallen Heroes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.