Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,785 members, 7,810,046 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:19 PM

Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? (17146 Views)

Naija Smartphonomics: The Economics Of Buying A Smart Phone In Nigeria / Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone / Sony Ericsson Unveils The Sony Ericsson W44s Bravia Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by timpaker(m): 1:59pm On Jun 01, 2012
We've seen smartphones, smart TVs, smart cars and smart homes. So why not smartwatches?
You don't need to be Dick Tracy to see the appeal of adding extra functionality to your wrist — be it text messaging, video calling, GPS tracking or customizable apps.
In fact, it's already here.
Sure, it's been a few years since Timex first introduced Ironman with Data Link, the company's first watch to combine a personal digital assistant (PDA) with a multi-function sport timekeeping device. And then there were the Fossil SPOT watches that operated on Microsoft's wirelessly-connected Smart Personal Objects Technology. Ahead of its time, perhaps, as these technologies failed to gain mainstream appeal.
Today, however, there are many high-tech wristwatches debuting — though some seem more promising than others.
The Sony SmartWatch ($149.99), for example, pairs with a nearby Android smartphone via Bluetooth, through a free app downloadable from Google Play (formerly Android Market).
Setting up the color SmartWatch was straightforward enough, as was selecting what supported apps to download -- though be aware the 1.3-inch OLED touchscreen might be smaller than you realize. In fact, the screen doesn't fill up the entire watch face. And the screen can be somewhat hard to read in bright sunshine unless you cup the top of the screen with your other hand.
As you'd expect, this 0.5-ounce smartwatch lets you read texts, emails and social networking updates from sites like Facebook or Twitter. Plus, it supports about 60 other apps, too, including Google Maps, Weather and Gmail. To swap between installed apps, simply swipe left or right between them.
The smartwatch also vibrates to let you know when a call is coming in and you can control music on your smartphone while it's tucked away in a purse or pocket. Some of the apps seem a little ridiculous — for example, who wants to snap pictures with your Android smartphone via the watch? — but others are more appealing, like a quick glance at the weather or reading a text and tapping to reply with a preset message like "Call you shortly."
The dust- and splash-proof SmartWatch ships with a black silicone wristband, but five additional colors are available for purchase: white, pink, mint, grey and blue. Battery life lived up to its promise of up to an entire week between charges; a small USB cable is included with four "teeth" that clamp onto the back of the watch face.
BlackBerry users, on the other hand, might consider the inPulse smartphone watch (from $99). Also available for Android devices, this wireless smartphone accessory for the wrist lets you read emails and texts, see caller ID and calendar alerts. Smartwatch apps range from ways managing presentations (going forward and back through PowerPoint slides) and games (like Cavern) to world clocks, stopwatches and multiple digital clock skins to customize its appearance.

In fact, the maker of the inPulse watch, Allerta, is also working on a new smartwatch, Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android. Due out later this year, the product has raised more than $10.2 million dollars from supporters via KickStarter -- the most money ever raised on the popular crowdfunding platform.
Check out the original KickStarter video pitch on the Pebble here: Pebble: E-Paper Watch
While the number of Pebble pledgers is quite remarkable -- roughly 69,000 in total -- some may question why we need an extra screen in our lives. That is, if the smartphone replaced the wristwatch, do we really need to reintroduce it again? Are we that lazy we can't pull out our smartphone? And in many cases, these watches require a nearby phone to work.
Personally, I do like how some watches let you control the music on a tucked-away smartphone, offered by the Sony SmartWatch and iPulse, as well as the now-defunct Sony Ericsson MBW-150 Bluetooth Watch. And I also thought it was a good idea products like the Helium Digital Wristband Communicator would vibrate if you walk too far away from your phone — ideal for forgetful types.

Not all smartwatches are wireless either. ThinkGeek has its stainless steel MP4 Watch ($89.99) that lets you watch videos, listen to music, see photos and read e-books. There's also the ThinkGeek USB Hidden Flash Drive Watch ($49.99), which holds up to 8 Gigabytes of files on a discrete USB connector hidden behind the face.

Finally, those how own a 6th generation iPod nano might opt for an iWatchz accessory (from $24.95), which turns the square-shaped portable media player into a wristwatch. In fact, the iPod has 18 different watch faces to choose from, ranging from analog and digital options to Disney and The Muppets characters. This hands-free accessory is also perfect for those who'd like to exercise while listening to their music (with album artwork), plus there's also a built-in pedometer, FM radio, stopwatch and support for podcasts.

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/accessories/smartwatch/

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by timpaker(m): 2:18pm On Jun 01, 2012
They come in different colours

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Master6(m): 4:05pm On Jun 01, 2012
Ridiculous nd unnecessary!!!!
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by naylove(m): 7:05pm On Jun 01, 2012
buy for wetin now. unless i can tie round my bingo's neck.

1 Like

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by valencia25(m): 7:13pm On Jun 01, 2012
naylove: buy for wetin now. unless i can tie round my bingo's neck.
cheesy
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by damola1: 7:15pm On Jun 01, 2012
How does this improve consumer experience..?
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by greenhope(m): 7:15pm On Jun 01, 2012
Yes I will buy it can anyone provide the site here
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by kombats: 7:18pm On Jun 01, 2012
sony products are gud try and get and tell us d feedback
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
Now if only it has the holographic projector like the one in Ultraviolet.

1 Like

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by damilola15: 7:27pm On Jun 01, 2012
I'd buy it if I were Toyin Saraki, instead of carrying 5 smart phones.

1 Like

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by onila(f): 7:40pm On Jun 01, 2012
naylove: buy for wetin now. unless i can tie round my bingo's neck.
grin
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Opoki(m): 8:10pm On Jun 01, 2012
damilola15: I'd buy it if I were Toyin Saraki, instead of carrying 5 smart phones.
Words!

1 Like

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Revolva(m): 8:18pm On Jun 01, 2012
Now what do I wanna tweet about with my watch rubbish
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by firestar(f): 8:45pm On Jun 01, 2012
Wait... what? sad
Are we going talk to it or is some projected 3D construct?
Not easy on the eye.
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by timpaker(m): 8:45pm On Jun 01, 2012
well the phones aint expensive, they're just $125 (N20, 125). I've got one coming from the UK dis week. I hope the 'real owners' wont take it away from me. Lolz

but seriously the phone is nice.
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by akunjohn(m): 8:47pm On Jun 01, 2012
What a sweet nonsense
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by ZUBY77(m): 8:57pm On Jun 01, 2012
m still waiting for google church
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by igweGC(m): 9:18pm On Jun 01, 2012
Huh!!! Will this watch tell me the time Jesus Christ will be coming? If yes, I'll buy..
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by wandeay: 10:06pm On Jun 01, 2012
;Dits good for expo nd exam cheating ;Dits good for expo nd exam cheating

1 Like

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Yinkay: 10:47pm On Jun 01, 2012
So everything that James Bond used to dazzle us then is now reality...waiting for the car that will be amphibious.. Drive on land and underwater

1 Like

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Ignatio(m): 10:54pm On Jun 01, 2012
I see it allows us use our phones less. But man reading texts on the screen will sure be eye straining. Expect more smart watches that from sci-fi spy movies.
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by babseg(m): 10:56pm On Jun 01, 2012
I have similar products for sale. Anybody interested can contact me at babseg2001@yahoo.com
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Bright2(m): 11:46pm On Jun 01, 2012
I'll love to buy when the price drops at least N10k.
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:09am On Jun 02, 2012
Watches will be totally obsolete within the next 15 years.

1 Like

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by tpia5: 1:17am On Jun 02, 2012
hmm @ topic.

make una no spoil my market o.
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Nobody: 2:36am On Jun 02, 2012
JoyStick Tracy? undecided Wetim dey worry those Go ogle people sef? angry
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Dandy1(m): 7:28am On Jun 02, 2012
PhysicsQED: Watches will be totally obsolete within the next 15 years.

That will never happen.Pple will alws put on wristwathes as a fashion statement,en not really 4 time update purpose or something

1 Like

Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by crackhouse(m): 7:59am On Jun 02, 2012
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by crackhouse(m): 8:01am On Jun 02, 2012
wandeay: ;Dits good for expo nd exam cheating ;Dits good for expo nd exam cheating
Nigerians and their negative thoughts. Wasn't the aim of the oyibo producer.
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by crackhouse(m): 8:08am On Jun 02, 2012
I will buy when it drops to 1k so call me when china start their own production.
Re: Is The Sony "SmartWatch" A Smart Buy? by Lisa1: 8:26am On Jun 02, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Andriod Tweaking Thread / TECNO P3S Discussion Thread / Pls What Is The Meaning Of Airtel KYC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.