Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,648 members, 7,955,357 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:56 PM

The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? (2578 Views)

Straight Talk:a Nigeria Passport Or Iranian Passport, Which One Would You Choose / If U Want 2 Get An International Passport Or Ecowas Passport,call 07028271494. / Which Is Stronger American Passport Or Canadian Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by oje(m): 1:49pm On Nov 21, 2007
Hi Guys,

My current passport is expiring in less than a year and i need to renew it to enable me get a two-year Visa to a country i am about traveling to.
I have the option of getting the new electronic passport but i am not too sure of the consequences of this option.

Does anybody have enough information on this? I need to know if the electronic passport is already in use all over the world so that i do not get stranded on the way

I want to be sure that i will not have issues with embassies when i present this electronice passport.

In terms of history, my present passport shows all the countries that i have travelled to and my duratrion of stay in those countries, which usually adds more credibility to my applications to the embassy, how can this credits be transfered to the electronic passport?

I am a littler doubtful about things done in 9ja. will this new electronic passport pass the test of time?

If anyone can please furnish me with information on this topic, i will be most grateful.
Thanks guys.
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by uspry1(f): 2:31pm On Nov 21, 2007
@oje

If you have your passport that has about date expiration soon, then you will need to renew your passport that will be new electronic passport.

If your passport date expiration is not yet due till 2010, then you still use your old passport until the date expired to be renew on 2010 that will be your new electronic passport.

If you do not feel comfortable with old passport that is not yet expired, then you can renew your passport being electronically.

Every countries in the world HAS BEEN CHANGED NEW designed electronic passport last December 2006 for new electronic scanner machine to be scanned the electronic passport to be detected much QUICKER than old ones.

That is why most countries had been suspended new/re-issued passport starting l[b]ast SEPTEMBER 15, 2007[/b] is because they are right now working on upgrading new state-of-the-art scanned computerized electronic passport system with BIOMETRICS to eliminate ALL NON-ELECTRONIC FRAUD/FAKE PASSPORTS.

I hope it helps!
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by oje(m): 1:35pm On Nov 28, 2007
uspry1:

@oje

If you have your passport that has about date expiration soon, then you will need to renew your passport that will be new electronic passport.

If your passport date expiration is not yet due till 2010, then you still use your old passport until the date expired to be renew on 2010 that will be your new electronic passport.

If you do not feel comfortable with old passport that is not yet expired, then you can renew your passport being electronically.

Every countries in the world HAS BEEN CHANGED NEW designed electronic passport last December 2006 for new electronic scanner machine to be scanned the electronic passport to be detected much QUICKER than old ones.

That is why most countries had been suspended new/re-issued passport starting l[b]ast SEPTEMBER 15, 2007[/b] is because they are right now working on upgrading new state-of-the-art scanned computerized electronic passport system with BIOMETRICS to eliminate ALL NON-ELECTRONIC FRAUD/FAKE PASSPORTS.

I hope it helps!

thanks. Now i know its accepted worldwide. But as i said earlier, would information on my old passport be transfered to the electronic on or would i still get to keep my old passport for references??
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by Vicjustice: 2:43pm On Nov 28, 2007
oje:

thanks. Now i know its accepted worldwide. But as i said earlier, would information on my old passport be transfered to the electronic on or would i still get to keep my old passport for references??

It's not necessary that the information on your old passport would be transfered to the new one: but every embassy (on realising that you once possess a previous passport) would want to see the old (previous) one or, at least a copy of it. Therefore, the value of the old passport does influence the new one. So, you need to present both the new and the previous passport in subsequent visa applications.
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by oje(m): 11:50am On Nov 29, 2007
Thanks so much @ vicjustice.
Your reply is highly appreciated.

any other comment will also be appreciated from all.
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by ernal(m): 2:07pm On Dec 01, 2007
i have a similar question on this issue,if he gets a new e passport with the old passport information and everything and he still has a valid visa on the old one and he wants to use the new passport henceforth,can be cancel the pages left on the old passport,they call its cancelation without prejurdise(not sure) and You can use the 2 passport along,is this possible, Thanks
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by awolumate(m): 11:45am On Dec 02, 2007
You are creating problems when you have None. From my own experience. I hold three Nigerian passports,of course all with same data and none has expired but had to get new ones as they run out of pages. What they usually do whenever i apply for a new one at our Embassy here is to Cancel the few available pages on the old one and Issue you a new one with same data and stamp the new one as OBSERVATION that you previously held passport with number so so and so. I have all my three passports stapled together like a Bible. grin
Its not really a problem as once they issue a new one to you.They would return the old one back to you. I will Advice you to have both old and New stapled together as they reduce your stresses at the Immigrations across the Continents and with the consulars when you apply for Visas as been a Nigerian u practically need a visa to Visit most countries expecially if you Travel a lot.
I hope this Help.
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by ernal(m): 12:41pm On Dec 02, 2007
Ok.Well the scenerio am painting here is Mr A has an existing passport , less than 2 years to expire with a Valid Visas of country A and B,and he is going to get a Visa that is running for 4 years from Country C,with the new e-passport thing and with the issue of the old passport being void after 2010,he got the New ePassport,Now he is deciding to have the empty pages of the Previous old Passport cancelled(cancelation without prejurdise) and use both the old one and New passport together,is this Possible? and is it the Immigration that handels this cancellation or the Embassies?
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by saha(f): 10:49pm On Dec 03, 2007
Actually u don't have a choice anymore there are no data sheets availablble for renewal.my family & I wasted 3months waiting & had to get d e-passport which is better.just carry d old one on your trips & visa interviews
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by ernal(m): 10:59am On Dec 04, 2007
True,well just go to the passport office if you still have a valid visa on the old one,write an application for the extra pages to be cancelled and you can use the old passport along with new one and still use the valid visa on the old one.Good Luck
Re: The New Electronic Passport Or The Old One? by teetee2(f): 4:18pm On Dec 06, 2007
ernal, how u dey? It seems u know much about procument of passport. Do you know how much it will cost me to get electronic one. Mine has expired for very long time but need another since i have not travelled out before i dont need to produce the old one. Somebody said i should bring N25,000 to get one within 2 days. What about it? Please give me info about this. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Anyone With Information About Ethiopia / Exposing The Spanish Boyz / Relocating From UK To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.