Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,793 members, 7,824,313 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Dana Plane Crash & The Limits Of Prayers By Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dana Plane Crash & The Limits Of Prayers By Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo (519 Views)

Kenneth Okonkwo Drags Buhari To Court! / Corruption: I Come To Bury Jonathan By Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo / We The silly Southerners By Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dana Plane Crash & The Limits Of Prayers By Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by lagosapple: 9:48pm On Jun 05, 2012
I don't know about you but I believe in prayers as a solution to everything. This guy is making me reconsider.

http://saharareporters.com/column/dana-plane-crash-limits-prayers-rudolf-ogoo-okonkwo

Is my faith not strong?

I don't know.
Re: Dana Plane Crash & The Limits Of Prayers By Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by LailaIkeji1: 11:17pm On Jun 05, 2012
i totally agree with him -

After many years of being cajoled and dragged and mandated to go to church, one of the few things I learned was that once you die, you are dead. Your report card is sealed. Nothing can change it. I was taught that after death what comes next is judgment. It doesn’t matter if you cool off a little bit in Purgatory. You next court appearance after death is on Judgment Day.

So it baffles me when people pray for the dead. What would such a prayer accomplish? Would it change the grade the dead scored based on his or her life on earth? Would prayers alter the evidence accumulated against the dead? Would it change the judge’s verdict? How would our supplication for the dead to rest in peace be fulfilled if his work on earth had earned him a place without peace?

I believe the only use of mourning after death is for the living to reflect on their lives. It is okay to recall the life of the dead and the impact the dead made in the lives of the living. But as far as influencing what happens when the dead gets to the Great Beyond, I believe that is what is called ‘medicine after death.” If there are people who need prayers after a death, it is the living and not the dead.

I hereby pray for Nigerians who are still living following the deaths that occurred due to the Dana plane crash of June 3, 2012. I pray for those Nigerians who will board a Nigerian plane today and tomorrow. I pray that the technicians who will work on the plane will not choose a short cut in their maintenance work. I pray that the pilots will have the strength of character to refuse to fly a faulty aircraft. I pray that the government officials charged with supervising and inspecting airlines and making sure that they are maintained and are fit to fly do not collect bribes and just sign off on works they did not see.

Of course, prayers are not enough. Rather than prayer, people who really wish to help can take concrete steps to ensure that the technicians do their job; that the pilots fly only air-worthy planes; and that the government agency overseeing airlines diligently monitors what the airlines are doing. It is needless to say that a whistleblower is more valuable than a prayer warrior.

http://saharareporters.com/column/dana-plane-crash-limits-prayers-rudolf-ogoo-okonkwo

(1) (Reply)

New Set Of Words Added To Dictionary Due To Faruk / Why Must It Be GUSAU To B The Next Minister Of Defence. / Condemn Boko Haram, Clark Dares IBB, Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.