Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,918 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July (15165 Views)

Windows 10 To Be Released In July (Pictures) / Glo-1 Cable Cut Disrupts Internet Access In Nigeria / April 2011 Report On Prices Of Internet Access In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by denzel2009: 4:24pm On Jun 06, 2012
Slyrox, I cant believe you sent this hoax message. Everyone that clicked on that link now have their IP address registered. Even, if its a genuine FBI website, the big brother can now see you!
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by iykmora(m): 6:20pm On Jun 06, 2012
this has certainly made the job very easy, whether forGOOD or BAD ...
Their wide-wild EYE is now spreadin lyk wild fire

.....shakin my head in utter disgust!
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by oncode1: 6:28pm On Jun 06, 2012
HOW ARE YOU GUYS SHOW THE FBI ARE NOT THE HACKERS TRYING TO MONITOR/HACK PEOPLES ACTIVITY BY ASKING THEM TO VERIFY IF THEIR COMPUTER IS NOT INFECTED, HOW ARE YOU GUYS SHOW THE VERIFICATION PROCESS IS NOT ACTUALLY THE INFECTION PROCESS....THINK BEFORE YOU ACT, DON'T ACT BEFORE YOU THINK!
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Onyenna(m): 6:56pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks for the info......but,I think I'll wait and see what happens......what if you got your info from one of those cloned sites......am just saying.....
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by sonyjacobs(m): 7:07pm On Jun 06, 2012
i will have to suspend my internet subscription dis month ending
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by mxxpunkxx: 7:53pm On Jun 06, 2012
DNS resolution or not . .
You're still gonna be able to browse on the said date/moth or whatever.

I, mxxpunkxx, would never visit any site to resolve my DNS to avoid/remove existing malwares.
That's why am a certified malicious hacker.

Afterall, I create malwares.
So? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Fabulous1: 8:25pm On Jun 06, 2012
pls nairalander help me, i bought nokia 500 symbian but my problem is dat my megabytes finish too fast, even my credit runs out, i close all applications but without browsing all my credit runs everytime pls wat should i do, pls good advise only thanks
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Slyr0x: 8:54pm On Jun 06, 2012
denzel2009: Slyrox, I cant believe you sent this hoax message. Everyone that clicked on that link now have their IP address registered. Even, if its a genuine FBI website, the big brother can now see you!

Have their IP address registered? Bro what are you saying? We are talking about the Big Brother here. .They have absolute control over the happenings of the interwebs. .

They don't need to come up with a site before they can "see you", just like you said. .

It's like shielding your Outlook mails from your Network Administrator when he can always reset your password and login into your account. .

BTW I never forced no one to click on nothing. .

Kindly ignore this thread if you feel it's a scam!
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by denzel2009: 9:05pm On Jun 06, 2012
Slyr0x:

Have their IP address registered? Bro what are you saying? We are talking about the Big Brother here. .They have absolute control over the happenings of the interwebs. .

They don't need to come up with a site before they can "see you", just like you said. .

It's like shielding your Outlook mails from your Network Administrator when he can always reset your password and login into your account. .

BTW I never forced no one to click on nothing. .

Kindly ignore this thread if you feel it's a scam!

Come on I didn't mean it as a scam. It's just not possible for people lose internet connection like that na. Last resort, you reformat your computer and reconnect.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by ablemicky(m): 9:15pm On Jun 06, 2012
I knew d story will be ugly,imagine people loosing internet service till the world end because of one july 9..hahahahah big lie.if u are scared dont connect ur computer to the on that day.internet for life..wait self even if ur system were affected,cant u reformat,reinstall os n start all over again..i talk like a computer layman
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Slyr0x: 9:35pm On Jun 06, 2012
denzel2009:

Come on I didn't mean it as a scam. It's just not possible for people lose internet connection like that na. Last resort, you reformat your computer and reconnect.

Bro, you need to read this http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-thousands-may-lose-internet-july-181324701--finance.html
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by denzel2009: 10:02pm On Jun 06, 2012
Slyr0x:

Bro, you need to read this

hmmmnnm, I see...
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Ochek: 10:29pm On Jun 06, 2012
Awesome newsm nonthelessn I buy the arguments of those who think this is some kinda bigger scam to get ppl. I mean, if them "big brothers" can help out with providing tools to protect after scanning ur systemn why then can't they protect the servers entirely from the hakers. Why can't they sell them so called super anti malware sw to the antivirus companies (we trust) to help us? This is sure some kinda way of getting to the larger world. It's sure what I will do if I'm a hacker. Sell u some crippy idea, u fall for then I take the super lead. Perhars, the FBI ain't even got a damn hand in this shit. Maybe some cool dudes worked up a website to mimick the original. Well, may opinion, may choice. Worst happens, I sure will locate ma windows 7 installer and smile on.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Lilspicer(f): 11:06pm On Jun 06, 2012
This is just the plan of fbi if u instal dat software dude dem go know everytin u dey do online...and for the hackin a world renowen group of hackers are responsible which naija is a member thet are called --anonymous www.twitter.com/Anon_nigeria
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by betterbest: 11:46pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thanks for the info: useful and helpful
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Maleeq(m): 12:04am On Jun 07, 2012
mxxpunkxx: DNS resolution or not . .
You're still gonna be able to browse on the said date/moth or whatever.

I, mxxpunkxx, would never visit any site to resolve my DNS to avoid/remove existing malwares.
That's why am a certified malicious hacker.

Afterall, I create malwares.
So? undecided undecided undecided undecided
SMH...its like a auto-mechanic that doesn't know what a spanner is! You say you are certified in the hack-tricks, and yet you don't know about this exploit?

erniok: This info is all over the net except on FBI site. So how trustworthy is it?
There's a nifty feature called "search" on the FBI site. A quick search, with criteria "9 July" gives the full statement here: FBI Shuts Down Clean Servers
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by davida222(m): 12:14am On Jun 07, 2012
nobody owns the internet not even the Great Apex. Not to talk of the fBI and the CIA.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by reloboy(m): 12:19am On Jun 07, 2012
Mtcheeeeeew This is so dumb, So FBI are now the world expert.......Tell me who are they decieving
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by nairaman66(m): 1:52am On Jun 07, 2012
Mine is showing GREEN. I am all good to go!
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by JohnDoe77(m): 4:42am On Jun 07, 2012
This just goes to show how stupid people can be....

No official statement from the FBI about anything. You are all doing what you are told to do because the FBI name was mentioned.

What if this so called test is been championed by the hackers themselves... and you are only harming your PC by your own self..

Gullible people....

REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY actually works very well.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by surveycash(m): 7:23am On Jun 07, 2012

Thanks for the info Sly BUT am not DOING ANY SCAN. If I lose the Internet by July, I'll get another lappy and modem to continue.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Maleeq(m): 7:43am On Jun 07, 2012
SMH, the psyche of the average Nigerian: we feel too "smart".

At the tip of your fingertips is the internet, why don't you google this information out and see if its true or not? This exploit has been known for years!!

Let me break it down a bit:
1. No, the internet isn't going to be shut down!
2. No, the US/FBI don't solely control the internet. There is a consortium (nations and professional bodies) that issue "standards" and the name resolutions

Any government, in a country with properly routed internet access, can effectively "flip the switch" to the internet in its region (eg: China, Iran, Egypt have done it before and are currently filtering access rights to its citizenry)

Back to the topic on ground: Internet works with what is known as "name resolution" where you can type in, say "www.nairaland.com" from anywhere and you system gets to access the contents off a server located in Seun's backyard. How does your system know where to find Seun's servers? This question is answered by "Name Servers" (DNS: Domain Name Servers), where all server addresses are registered. There are thousands of "authenticated DNS servers" globally.

However, some miscreants/hackers whipped up a " DNSchanger vrius" that re-routes requests from infected machines to their own Name servers. Thus, say when you want to access "www.nairaland.com" from an infected PC, it sends you to their own server, where they can poison your request and/or steal your information and/or pipe web ads to you (ultimately raking in cash for them).

What the FBI is doing is shutting down these "rogue Name servers" run by the hackers....thus, if your system is infected (note that infected systems will ALWAYS send internet requests to these servers), you won't have access to the internet anymore once they are shutdown.

Security firms such as Symantec, Kaspersky and a host of others, even the FBI, have developed free removal tools for this virus...Here's the link to the FBI's own: DNS Checker Page

In summary, INTERNET ACCESS ON ONLY INFECTED SYSTEMS WOULD BE EFFECTIVELY SHUTDOWN! Millions of computer are infected and they dont even know they are!!!
Google it up...its no hoax!
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Maleeq(m): 7:54am On Jun 07, 2012
Here, links to Symantec (the vendor of Norton antivirus) on the issue:
1. DNSChanger Fraud Ring Busted
2. DNS Changer

Atleast, this is a security firm of international repute. (but I still bet some peeps would feel its just a marketing ploy)
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Slyr0x: 7:58am On Jun 07, 2012
^^^ Thanks bro for the explanation. .
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by ivcraig(m): 8:43am On Jun 07, 2012
No Wahala. Just format every infected system since it's just Τ̲̅ђe OS that was affected.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by erniok(m): 10:17am On Jun 07, 2012
@ maleeq: My first post referred to the site posted by the op. All the evidences from FBI site (https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-your-computer-is-using-rogue-DNS) are a DIY stuff. Nowhere was there any info directing you to do it online. No one is saying that there's no malware but did FBI say the testing should be online?
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Slyr0x: 10:43am On Jun 07, 2012
erniok: @ maleeq: My first post referred to the site posted by the op. All the evidences from FBI site (https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-your-computer-is-using-rogue-DNS) are a DIY stuff. Nowhere was there any info directing you to do it online. No one is saying that there's no malware but did FBI say the testing should be online?

Are you sure you went through the FBI Site at all?

Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 07, 2012
on-code:
HOW ARE YOU GUYS SHOW THE FBI ARE NOT THE HACKERS TRYING TO MONITOR/HACK PEOPLES ACTIVITY BY ASKING THEM TO VERIFY IF THEIR COMPUTER IS NOT INFECTED, HOW ARE YOU GUYS SHOW THE VERIFICATION PROCESS IS NOT ACTUALLY THE INFECTION PROCESS....THINK BEFORE YOU ACT, DON'T ACT BEFORE YOU THINK!

I SECOND THAT BROV
MOST HUMANS WONT USE THEIR HEAD cool
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by gomajr(m): 12:05pm On Jun 07, 2012
Are you guys seriously joking? This could be the hackers geting you to plug your system onto their servers. Wake up guys. don't just jump into every sea.
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by mxxpunkxx: 2:18pm On Jun 07, 2012
Maleeq:
SMH...its like a auto-mechanic that doesn't know what a spanner is! You say you are certified in the hack-tricks, and yet you don't know about this exploit?

There's a nifty feature called "search" on the FBI site. A quick search, with criteria "9 July" gives the full statement here: FBI Shuts Down Clean Servers

And who says I don't know about the exploit?
Or shall we perform a little demonstration?, if you please?
Re: Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July by denzel2009: 2:37pm On Jun 07, 2012
mxxpunkxx:

And who says I don't know about the exploit?
Or shall we perform a little demonstration?, if you please?

I agree you should do a little demonstration....

First person to germinate seun's bald head wins!

(1) (2) (3)

Windows 10 Will Log You In Using Your Biometric Data / Step By Step Info On How To browse With Dstv Decoder And Cable Modem / Ipad Versus Samsung Galaxy Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.