Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

UNILAG Renaming: Jonathan Should've Consulted More - Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNILAG Renaming: Jonathan Should've Consulted More - Gowon (664 Views)

Abba’s Sack Illegal-Police Council Not Consulted As Required By the Constitution / I Consulted Pastor Adeboye Before Accepting To Be Buhari’s Runningmate- Osinbajo / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG Renaming: Jonathan Should've Consulted More - Gowon by tintingz(m): 11:43am On Jun 06, 2012
Jonathan should’ve consulted on UNILAG – Gowon

Former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, insists that the protests over the renaming of University of Lagos after the late Chief Moshood Abiola could have been avoided if President Goodluck Jonathan had consulted widely.

In his nationwide broadcast on May 29, Jonathan said the government decided to honour Abiola, believed to be the winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, by naming UNILAG after him for his contribution to democracy in the country.

However, the government immediately came under intense criticism, with the students of the university embarking on street demonstrations.

But speaking in Benin on Tuesday, Gowon regretted the aftermath of the name change, saying the protests could have been avoided.

He said, “The University of Ife was changed to Obafemi Awolowo University; now that University of Lagos is now changed to Abiola University, it would have been better for President Goodluck Jonathan to have consulted with old students of the university before renaming it to Abiola University.

“I honestly do not want to comment on that one. I’m sure that anyone who has gone to UNILAG, ask them how they feel about the change and I know that I know that a lot of students who went to University of Ife, when it was changed to Awolowo University, if you asked them if they want the change to Awolowo University, they will say no. So, that is the feeling.

“I think probably all the people who are involved in making that decision should have consulted all those people before making that decision. It is very important.”
Re: UNILAG Renaming: Jonathan Should've Consulted More - Gowon by Beaf1: 1:23pm On Jun 06, 2012
The R3tardeen probably only consulted his wife Dame a night before.
Re: UNILAG Renaming: Jonathan Should've Consulted More - Gowon by aljharem(m): 2:08pm On Jun 06, 2012
Thank you Gowon !!! Please educate this goons
Re: UNILAG Renaming: Jonathan Should've Consulted More - Gowon by PointB: 4:22pm On Jun 06, 2012
This buffoon who is well know for reneging on agreements should stfu, who does he think he is! GEJ is the GCFR, no gowon!
Re: UNILAG Renaming: Jonathan Should've Consulted More - Gowon by OAM4J: 4:24pm On Jun 06, 2012
Well they wanted to make it a surprise package, thinking majority will buy it and praise him for it.
Re: UNILAG Renaming: Jonathan Should've Consulted More - Gowon by abacus(m): 6:34pm On Jun 06, 2012
Sycophants like Beaf will now keep quiet. Can't GEJ get things right for owns?
Re: UNILAG Renaming: Jonathan Should've Consulted More - Gowon by Enigma(m): 9:50pm On Jun 06, 2012
OAM4J: Well they wanted to make it a surprise package, thinking majority will buy it and praise him for it.

If that is the case, they are mumus united then.

The name change was a dumb move in the first place; the school had built up enormous goodwill on the 'Unilag/University of Lagos' brand, now they are being asked to build a new brand from scratch pointlessly. Pointlessly as Abiola could have been honoured in another even more befitting way.

Second, the 'surprise' approach is enormously incompetent and ignorant of managerial and legal proprieties. How could you not think it necessary to consult the University leadership first or to go through the proper legal machinery for changing the name?

cool

(1) (Reply)

FG Appoints New SEC DG •rules Out Tenure Elongation For Board / Ghana Is Not A Haven For Nigerian Rebels And Criminals / Okupe Carpets Bakare On Conversion Of Pulpit To Political Podium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.