Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

1st America Black President Obama - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 1st America Black President Obama (3764 Views)

America's Black Founding Fathers / Meet The Woman Likely To Be Brazil's First Black President / We Already Had A Black President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

1st America Black President Obama by odaro90(m): 8:35pm On Nov 22, 2007
barrack obama 1st america black president dem go let am win 2008 election how una see am
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by zigbo(f): 10:31pm On Nov 22, 2007
i know he is up against hilary clinton,so theres three things. either theres racism,sexism, or religionismdoes that make sense beecos everyone is paying attention to the fact that obama's name is of an islamist origin and u know wat sort of conflict that might entail.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Priscila(f): 1:39am On Nov 23, 2007
that guy has beaten all odds to rise to where he is now.they exchanged bitter words with  madam clinton She even insulted  him {you from Africa" and OBAMA could not stand it so after a few exchanges they finally shook hands.

@ Zigbo
Obama is not a muslim but his name is from kenya where he was born and raised,  I understand they have such names in some sub tribe  whatsoever as his father is Kenyan who married an american that makes Obama half cast.
I can assure he is a staunch Christian who even dropped smoking due to his salvation after converting from catholic, His wife Mitchelle campaigns for him and they ve got  two lovely  kids. He is just a proud African.Some Chicago newspaper publishes some things to do with him. thats where he resides

For sure I dint know he would be a senator of illinois being an African american and he is leading in  opinion polls over Clinton as per now
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by zigbo(f): 2:07am On Nov 24, 2007
@pris. . . i dint say obama is muslim,i jst said his name is muslim. . i dint jst say it,did i? i prolly heard some peoples opinion on his name,dnt u think?. . .nywy wateva the case maybe it will be more xciting to see a black us president than a female one undecided
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by mazaje(m): 5:54pm On Nov 24, 2007
that guy has beaten all odds to rise to where he is now.they exchanged bitter words with madam clinton She even insulted him {you from Africa" and OBAMA could not stand it so after a few exchanges they finally shook hands.

@ Zigbo
Obama is not a muslim but his name is from kenya where he was born and raised, I understand they have such names in some sub tribe whatsoever as his father is Kenyan who married an american that makes Obama half cast.
I can assure he is a staunch Christian who even dropped smoking due to his salvation after converting from catholic, His wife Mitchelle campaigns for him and they ve got two lovely kids. He is just a proud African.Some Chicago newspaper publishes some things to do with him. thats where he resides

For sure I dint know he would be a senator of illinois being an African american and he is leading in opinion polls over Clinton as per now

Na wah ohhh where all this mis information go carry wuna go? Obama is an American his father was from kenya but left his mum when he was only 2 years old he has never practised islam cos he was riased by his mum and grandparent who were whites and never really believed in Religion. He was'nt born in kenya as you wrongly wrote. hillary clinton NEVER insulted him on his ethnicity her political career will completely be over if she ever does that even mad man Bush will never try that. He is a very good man and he is what the United States of America needs at this point in time.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by chiogo(f): 6:33pm On Nov 24, 2007
@Zigbo, are u serious/? I want Hilary to win. If naija can't have a female president, @least this one wld break a record here in America. u damn right am a feminist!! Most countries look up to d US, if she gets elected, other countries who formerly look down on women wld start givin' 'em a chance. I heard d governor of my state MA is supportin' Obama, maybe because they're both mulatto. If Obama was fully black, i wld have wanted him to win but anyhoo, who cares what they both are. I just want a female president.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by zigbo(f): 5:38am On Nov 25, 2007
a black prez in USA is a bigger record. . .moreover i feel h.clinton will jst be like the return of bill. . .
i aint even in america. . .thx to documentaries & news tho
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by odaro90(m): 2:33am On Nov 28, 2007
after he trace his origin to kenyan most black community in usa said he was not black enough becos his half white most of his fans are white to me he might win.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Migines(m): 8:31am On Nov 29, 2007
Oprah winfery is now backing hm hope full tyme. But, politics IS politics, i doubt his victory.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by moyosore85: 9:48am On Nov 29, 2007
the polls have hillary clinton in the lead.and remember behind hillary is bill clinton who is still very popular with americans despite his short"comings".i mean the economy grew by over 50 percent when he was in charge. so i see hillary being the democrats' candidate.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Horus(m): 1:02pm On Jan 17, 2008

Senator Barack Obama

He definitly should be the 1st black president (well 2nd, John Hanson was the 1st). Barack Obama is the future for all black people so lets hope it all goes well and he becomes PRESIDENT!
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Blackcat(f): 3:23pm On Jan 17, 2008
Obama has to win. He is our Ace card. So long as you are black.
Secondly, Hillary did throw a racial card. Please log onto CNN online for more details. Bill had to call a truce to calm down the two camps (Obama's and Hillary's)
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by efuah(f): 4:38pm On Jan 17, 2008
Even thou he's smiling. . . . he looks wicked lipsrsealed. . . looks can be deceptive u know, anyway, whoever wins is nat ma biznez tongue
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by dominique(f): 5:41pm On Jan 17, 2008
Lets face it, america will rather have a female pres than a black. He has already lost the first primaries and the chances are gettin slimer. I dont stay in the states but i hopes he wins .
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Blackcat(f): 5:49pm On Jan 17, 2008
Guys click on this link to listen to Obama

http://www.bet.com/onblast/default.html?chan=4&id=1479&i=15&sub=&itype=e

(the interview comes automatically after the mac advert, the interview is in phases and each phase comes after a mac advert)
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by bizzybone: 3:56pm On Jan 18, 2008
SHAME ON ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE LABELLED BARACK OBAMA AS BLACK!

As Nigerians and as black Africans, you should be ashamed to accept this man as black. He is a multiracial man with his dad being a black African and his mother a white American (most likely of western european descent). The reason I say that you should all be ashamed is due to the state of Nigeria and Africa today. The only reason this man is labelled as black in the western media is because of something called the one drop rule. This came about as a result of laws being passed on the formation of the United States which stipulated that it was illegal for anyone of non-negro ancestry to marry/have sex with a negro. This led to the one drop rule which states that anyone with a negro ancestor (or one drop of negro blood, hence the one drop name) was black. This labelling happened regardless of the person's appearance (many persecuted appeared to be white). In the US today, many people (esp in the south) face persecution from far right elements if it can be proved that they have a negro ancestor.

As black people, we should begin to assert our identity and culture worldwide instead of conforming to the revisionist, eurocentric version of history and contemporary culture that most black people in the west (and increasingly in Africa) do. I do not blame the black Americans for accepting the likes of Obama and Tiger Woods as black as they need these people to inspire underpriviledged children and help continue the struggle for equality. But we as Africans control our own destiny. If we continue to go along with these clearly biased views on life, our culture will eventually be wiped out. Furthermore, it is clear that imperialist nations have swapped direct control of our countries for proxy control through dividing our leaders and races in order to keep a select few in charge of our resources and, by implication, our future. We deserve the best as Nigerians and only by being prepared to speak the inconvenient truths and act upon them will we be able to emancipate our nation from poverty, corruption and subservience to the West.

My point: educate yourselves, rise up, be honest, be prepared to take the difficult path (for nothing good ever came easily) and most of all, question everything you hear about, read and learn. After all, Africa is a symbol of history being a vehicle for control. While the Americans may choose to elect a "black" president, let us not forget New Orleans, the inconsistencies in federal spending in black areas, the institutional racism across the board and, most glaringly of all, the legacy of the attempts to dehumanise negros through slavery, destruction of our culture and way of life and lies about our pre-colonial acheivements (no written languages, noticable civilisation and achitectural and scientific acheivement the most glaring lies of all). May God bless us all.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Blackcat(f): 12:48am On Jan 19, 2008
As far as Africans are concerned a child belongs to the father. It is not the first time an African will take a white woman as his wife should we then throw out all the mixed kids to their mums and call them non Africans or Blacks? NO!
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Nobody: 5:16am On Jan 19, 2008
if what i think is right, that guy doesnt have the look of an american president and am sure the white house thinks the same
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by bjluv: 5:52am On Jan 19, 2008
so much sick people in the houise i believe---

bizzyegugun shocked
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by kamsi(f): 9:42am On Jan 19, 2008
@ bizzybone I agree with blackcat that in Africa ancestry is traced thru patrilineal ties so to us Obama is black. Then again physical appearance has alot to do with it. If someone of mixed race is more African in apperance he/she is termed black like obama look at his hair, nose etc so he is black. Wentworth miller is black but he looks more white so he is termed white irrespective of the fact that his father is African.(even though as African we would proclaim him as black) so is Marie Carey.

Basically to me one is more of a race if the physical attribute of a particular race is more prominent.

So bizzybone because people dont view the world from your owu perspective dose not make them shameless.
The world does not exist only in 'black' or 'white' there are multitutes of 'colours'
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by chiogo(f): 7:50pm On Jan 19, 2008
@Bizzybone, thanks for the post. For goodness sakes, he is mulatto not fully black so y'all chill on the 'black president' thingy. Let the best person win. I ain't even trippin' on Hilary winnin' anymore because either way, it doesn't affect/benefit my life.

Lemme share smthin' with you guys tho.
On the news, a man reported that after a meetin' of the candidates or whatever, he ran up to them and wanted to take pictures, Hilary held the baby and the other candidates did too but without emotion but he saw love in Obama's eyes when he held the baby. He held the baby carefully like it was precious to him while the rest just posed for the picture. Therefore, Obama knows the meanin' of love and would make a good president.

That was pretty slick of the dude with the baby and he actually made a good point!! wink
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Raymond88(m): 10:02pm On Jan 19, 2008
I don't care much about politics but am i the only one who sees the resemblance between Obama and Osama? tongue
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by bizzybone: 1:44am On Jan 20, 2008
"As far as Africans are concerned a child belongs to the father. It is not the first time an African will take a white woman as his wife should we then throw out all the mixed kids to their mums and call them non Africans or Blacks? NO!"

Blackcat
I am not saying that we should throw out all of the mixed people. Far from it. All I am saying is that the man is a creole/mulatto/half caste/mixed race person. As such, your point is moot. To label people such as Obama as black is not only erroneous but also highly insulting to negros (due to the legacy of the one drop rule). If you are too dense to see this, don't shout your mouth off at me for pointing it out. Just because paternal dominance is common in our culture does not mean facts will ever stop being facts!

"@ bizzybone I agree with blackcat that in Africa ancestry is traced through patrilineal ties so to us Obama is black. Then again physical appearance has alot to do with it. If someone of mixed race is more African in apperance he/she is termed black like obama look at his hair, nose etc so he is black. Wentworth miller is black but he looks more white so he is termed white irrespective of the fact that his father is African.(even though as African we would proclaim him as black) so is Marie Carey.

Basically to me one is more of a race if the physical attribute of a particular race is more prominent.

So bizzybone because people don't view the world from your owu perspective dose not make them shameless.
The world does not exist only in 'black' or 'white' there are multitutes of 'colours'"

Kamsi
Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. I am simply trying to explain the origins of the one drop rule, it's legacy and current attitudes towards it. All this talk of patrilineal ties is not relevant. I am trying to make a point about the attempts by western (and increasingly African) media to socially condition all negros to accept the one drop mentality that is prevalent among westerners. Makes no difference to me if someone is creole, white, black, indian, east asian, etc. I take people how I find them. But for you to say that "to us Obama is black" is an indication of how deep rooted the level of social conditioning is. We as blacks and especially as africans need to make clear the distinction between negros and creoles. Otherwise, the revisionist histories will increasingly say that parts of our culture were influenced by/based on western ideas. We are already seeing attempts at this in the 'history' of carribean music/food/art. To say that if your dad is black, you are black is reckless to say the least and discriminates against creoles with black mothers. Increasingly, we are seeing that the west's revisionism is trying to discredit all pre-colonial african acheivement. A classic example is the archaeological excavations in central Nigeria. Western scientists could not believe that our Nok forefathers developed the ability to smelt Iron without going through a copper and/or bronze age first and have tried to claim that this knowledge came via meditaranean traders, despite the fact that no evidence to support this theory exists. Also, look at the attempts to discredit achitectural achievements in southern africa (esp Zimbabwe) and you will begin to see what I mean. Finally, I am not someone to condemn people for having a different point of view. I am simply worried by current trends that will only get worse with globalisation. Look at the history of China and what happened to the native americans as an indication of how eurocentricists will stop at nothing in order to ensure that european culture is viewed as the most significant in it's contribution to world civilisation.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by bjluv: 10:58am On Jan 20, 2008
sick sick sick----

damn world, sick!

got ya bizzy really but hey, if Osama wants to be identified as a black, we dont have to think otherwise. people tend to associate more with the culture they are satisfied with. does it also make you sick to see many white kids acting black? Dont tell me you havent seen or heard of one---

Africans needs to write themselves on green first so that this whole African thing will stay and be recognised. There are millions of black folks worldwide who will still choose a white over a black anyday and who would still believe that the whites are superior and founded all things. Dont ask me where I got that from but you can as well start by asking an old fellow from ya village his opinion and hear him out grin

Osama is someone running for the white house. See him as Osama and care less if he is white, black, red or green. See what he can offer the people and the American nation and rather not waste your time diggin the history/racial books here. He wants to be there as president and if things go fine, he shall. Do you mean that he should be then called the first mulato president of the USA if the wins? wink and until when an immigrant from lets say Sudan who is from a pure black family line becomes, the president of the USA should we say the first black president
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by bizzybone: 1:52pm On Jan 20, 2008
bjluv

You make some very valid points. I am not sickened by any of the stuff you mention. It just pains me that we as blacks and especially as Nigerians (some of the most highly educated negros) don't take greater pride in ourselves.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Blackcat(f): 7:01pm On Jan 20, 2008
bizzybone:

To label people such as Obama as black is not only erroneous but also highly insulting to negros (due to the legacy of the one drop rule).

I will repeat myself children born of Black fathers/White mothers are regarded as Blacks. Children born of Black mothers/White fathers are not blacks and can never hold or be elected into any important position in Nigeria or Africa.

Secondly the legacy of the one drop rule was made during the slave era to stop children of black slaves who had white fathers from getting automatic freedom or been called white because the whites knew that blacks had a rule of giving the child the race of the child’s father. Obama has no drop of slave blood in him (that’s why he can stand with his head high and that’s why the Black Americans are having a tough time accepting him). His father is black not his mother. He looks every inch like an African (mind you we have Africans that are not mixed but look much lighter than Obama). He is an African and we will accept him as our son and a black man period!
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by tilewill(m): 7:58pm On Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, that's my Obama! l dont just know why Bill is trying
to be despodent, afterall they would say only Africa operates
within that environment.
let's wait and see.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by bizzybone: 11:04pm On Jan 20, 2008
Blackcat
You have failed to understand that fact transcends tradition. Your racist inclusion of creoles with black fathers and exclusion of creoles with non black fathers is stupid and shows you up as the person of questionable intellect that you are. Neither group can truly be considered as black. That is the reason that terms like mulatto and creole exist after all. You also went on to say the following:

"Secondly the legacy of the one drop rule was made during the slave era to stop children of black slaves who had white fathers from getting automatic freedom or been called white because the whites knew that blacks had a rule of giving the child the race of the child’s father. Obama has no drop of slave blood in him (that’s why he can stand with his head high and that’s why the Black Americans are having a tough time accepting him). His father is black not his mother. He looks every inch like an African (mind you we have Africans that are not mixed but look much lighter than Obama). He is an African and we will accept him as our son and a black man period!".

The factual correctness of nearly all of this is debatable at best. Going on to mention the fact that Obama has no slave blood in him goes to show that you do not understand anything I have said and is perhaps the least relevant thing you have said. You also go on to spout other nonsense about how he looks which is totally irrelevant in the context of previous comments. Your confidence despite your ignorance is indicative of the struggle that we negros and Africans face. We will never be able to enjoy good leadership and quality institutions of state while people like you keep watering down the agenda with irrelevances. Such statements like "the legacy of the one drop rule was made, " indicate that you do not even understand that legacies of things like the one drop rule cannot be predicted at the time of their inception, much less made. The fact that the legacy of the one drop rule could only truly begin to be judged at the end of the civil rights struggle also seems to evaded that rapier intellect of yours. Thank God almighty that you do not speak for all africans.

If you wanted to rant, at least say so. Please refrain from introducing irrelevances and factually incorrect points into future forums for sensible debate. May God help us all!
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Blackcat(f): 9:15am On Jan 21, 2008
You are from what I gather an A.A I was born and bred in Africa faced non of the trauma your ancestors faced or the present trauma the A.A's are facing. We can never think alike.

99% of Africans do not travel out of Africa and thus only see racism as a spelling in the dictionary.

Nigerians are the only Blacks that take greater pride in themselves

The mentality of some of the A.A's not the intelligent ones which unfortunately bizzybone you happen not to be one of the intelligent ones is disheartening no wonder you cannot accept Obama.
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by bizzybone: 1:04pm On Jan 21, 2008
Blackcat

"You are from what I gather an A.A"

Once again, baseless conjecture from you. I am actually an Egba man.

"99% of Africans do not travel out of Africa and thus only see racism as a spelling in the dictionary"

Hence the reason why everything I have said is seemingly beyond your comprehension. The fact that Nigeria and africa at large are in such a bad state also seems to have escaped you. If you cannot understand some of the reasons for this underdevelopment, why make out like you do. Your comments here are indicative of the exact lack of knowledge and pride that is keeping our country (and the wider continent) under the heel of Royal Dutch Shell and similar foreign corporations. Also, to say "only see racism as a spelling" is incredibly poor grammar/use of English from you.

"Nigerians are the only Blacks that take greater pride in  themselves"

I have never read such nonsense. You clearly have never met any non Nigerians and are basing everything you say on hearsay. You should change your name from Blackcat to BlackConjecture. Absolute nonsense of the highest order. I would even go as far to say that it a downright lie as I do not believe anyone who has heard of Jamaica or Haiti or the US would say such a thing.

"The mentality of some of the A.A's  not the intelligent ones which unfortunately bizzybone you happen not to be one of the intelligent ones is disheartening no wonder you cannot accept Obama"

Your use of grammar and punctuation shows your level of education. I hold a BEng in Computer Engineering and an MSc in Software Engineering. What is your level of education that you will label me as not intelligent?

My overall point: You failed to see the point I am trying to make about western attempts to emasculate africans and negros at large. The fact that so many of our people (you seemingly included) are lacking a decent education, access to clean water, electricity, steady supply of food, good quality shelter and the like is proof of everything that I am saying. The longer that negros go into the world from a position of ignorance (like yourself), the longer negros will continue to adopt a position of subservience to the rest of the world. If I am so wrong, answer me this: name ONE thing/area in which black nations (african and carribean) are world leaders? The question is somewhat rhetorical because, to my mind, there isn't one area of life in which our countries are world leaders. This situation is incontrovertably linked to the western attempts to emasculate and destroy the identity of the negro. If you still cannot see the need as africans to make the distinction between ourselves and the black americans who include creoles to their ranks, perhaps the few of us that are fighting the good fight are doomed to failure. The fact that many of our sacred site have been destroyed, we practise non indeginous religions, knowledge of our history, generation to generation, is on the decline and the gradual destruction of many of our languages is proof to everything that I say. If you are too dense to see this, how dare you try to insult me for pointing it out! If you choose to reply, I implore you to give your take on some of the issues I have raised instead of ranting. I would welcome your attempts to articulate why you think I am wrong (using facts as ooposed to fiction to back up your points).
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by darmys(f): 1:27pm On Jan 21, 2008
some people get time to type long things o, chei undecided
Re: 1st America Black President Obama by Blackcat(f): 3:31pm On Jan 21, 2008
bizzybone:

Your use of grammar and punctuation shows your level of education. I hold a BEng in Computer Engineering and an MSc in Software Engineering. 

For someone who has the above qualifications, damn! you sure use big words with horrible English coordination. Very poor English I must say cheesy Where did you school by the way (must say it's pretty disappointing) cheesy tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Donald Trump Has A New Presidential Haircut / Haunting Pics From Egypt Crisis.(warning) / Poor South Africans Marched.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.