Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,201 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? (17383 Views)

Is Kwale A Town Or Tribe? Pls Clarify Me / Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by Obiagu1(m): 1:15am On Jun 11, 2012
How is Igboukwu Isu? I hope you guys don't send this thread to the bottomless pit.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:17am On Jun 11, 2012
ChinenyeN:
This is a shameful statement. You don't know Isu, yet you want to come here shouting that they don't know themselves. Typical.

My friend you are very ignorant of this very issue!! What do you know about Igboukwu,their traditional and cultural practices?? Nada,yet you want to come here and brand a defined Nri settlement Isu! ! This is not Ngwa history we are talking about... Igboukwu has some of the oldest Nri practices like Ikpu alu,Nze na Ozo,their cultural and social structure. Tell me a single tradition that defines Isuama culture? ? Like I said,go and keep researching endlessly about your Ngwa culture and try not to piss me off with your little smart comments... You know absolutely nothing about Igboukwu or about how their dialect souds...Do not piss me off because you are in no place to talk about Igboukwu who has a strong Nri presence.

1 Like

Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:56am On Jun 11, 2012
As I have already stated, go and have a talk with Isu people. Don't come to me, because that is not my claim. If you are looking to vent your high blood pressure issues, then vent them with the right people (Isu). Do not be foolish enough to point in my direction.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:17am On Jun 11, 2012
I see;Its good you shut it!!
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:21am On Jun 11, 2012
. . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by odumchi: 4:41am On Jun 11, 2012
ChinenyeN:
I think you may have some things mixed up. Isuama was not man-made. According to Colombia Univeristy and it's Igbo Studies department, Isuama became the standard dialect of emancipated Igbo slaves in Sierra Leone. The Isu/Isuama represented the largest portion of the emancipated Igbo slave population in Sierra Leone. So it is not surprising that most of the early linguistic Igbo studies centered around them and their speech form. The claim (or better yet, assumption) of 'purest dialect', made by Crowther (I believe), was likely due to the fact that most Sierra Leone Igbo were Isuama and Isuama had gained standardization there. He believed it to be the purest and I think he also claimed it would be the most intelligble. His visit to Nigeria showed him otherwise though. Isuama was soon abandoned after Crowther's death. The difference between Isu/Isuama and traditional northern/western speech forms has nothing to do with vocabulary supplied by non-Isu.

Oh...okay. Thank you very much for this clear-up.

1 Like

Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:44am On Jun 11, 2012
odumchi:
Oh...okay. Thank you very much for this clear-up.
It's no problem.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by MrMandilas: 7:14am On Jun 12, 2012
Obiagu1:

... and what is the difference?

This Isu/Isuama is getting more complicated everyday.
you can find Isu in Nwangele LGA. Isuama is in another place.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by MrMandilas: 7:22am On Jun 12, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Go and tell Igboukwu ppl that; Everything about Igboukwu suggest they are of Nri....Hell,Isus barely know themselves!!
Please where is Isu and where is Igboukwu @ least we can start from there!
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by MrMandilas: 7:23am On Jun 12, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Go and tell Igboukwu ppl that; Everything about Igboukwu suggest they are of Nri....Hell,Isus barely know themselves!!
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 11:55am On Jun 12, 2012
Mr Mandilas: you can find Isu in Nwangele LGA. Isuama is in another place.

Guy you are funny. You know little about Isu. Isu is everywhere in Igboland but their homeland is Isuama which is also called Isu. Somewhere around the area everyone described earlier. The thing is that after the colonialists divided and zoned people for administrative convenience many people seem to have lost track of their past heritage. Mbaitoli in Imo State is Isu but I have met some of them that think they are Owerri. Owerri in itself was created as a zonal capital for mainly Oroatta people but merely a small clan of the Oroatta group.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by MrMandilas: 2:04am On Jun 16, 2012
Abagworo:

Guy you are funny. You know little about Isu. Isu is everywhere in Igboland but their homeland is Isuama which is also called Isu. Somewhere around the area everyone described earlier. The thing is that after the colonialists divided and zoned people for administrative convenience many people seem to have lost track of their past heritage. Mbaitoli in Imo State is Isu but I have met some of them that think they are Owerri. Owerri in itself was created as a zonal capital for mainly Oroatta people but merely a small clan of the Oroatta group.
Mbaitolu is never Isu. Go and do ur research well! Then u come back!
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by odumchi: 2:11am On Jun 16, 2012
Since we're still on this Isu issue, I'd like to ask if Isuikwuato people in Abia are in anyway related to the Isu which you all are talking about.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:59am On Jun 16, 2012
Mr Mandilas: Mbaitolu is never Isu. Go and do ur research well! Then u come back!
Are you serious? I know people from Mbaitolu, they confirm that they are Isu.

odumchi: Since we're still on this Isu issue, I'd like to ask if Isuikwuato people in Abia are in anyway related to the Isu which you all are talking about.
From what Igbo historians have written, they are Isu. They are said to confirm being part of the original Isu settlers in Okigwe.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by odumchi: 6:41am On Jun 16, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Are you serious? I know people from Mbaitolu, they confirm that they are Isu.

From what Igbo historians have written, they are Isu. They are said to confirm being part of the original Isu settlers in Okigwe.

This is interesting. I'll look deeper into it. Thanks.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by OneNaira6: 7:19am On Jun 16, 2012
some-girl:
Anambra and delta dialects aren't central igbo written or spoken.
I think the fact that anambra dialects are used in the majority of igbo movies has confused some.
I can hardly follow asaba or onitsha igbo biko unu

Are you serious? I will not necessary call it a central igbo spoken but there is no denying it is one of the easiest Igbo language to understand. At least from my own point of view.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 8:15am On Jun 16, 2012
One_Naira:

Are you serious? I will not necessary call it a central igbo spoken but there is no denying it is one of the easiest Igbo language to understand. At least from my own point of view.
Exactly. I wonder how someone will say they don't understand Asaba and Onitsha Igbo which are one of the easiest to follow just like most northern Igbo dialects.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by achi4u(m): 10:42am On Jun 16, 2012
@op,Igbo izugbe is not originated from one village or clan,it is a collection of different words from every clan in Igboland.fact?
Did you know that people from Anambra will need an interpreter for them to understand their fellow Aghamelum people when they speak.Aghamelum L.G.A is in Anambra state.yet some words mighty still be pick from there to complete igbo izugbe.

Again,there's a big different from speaking central igbo from writing Igbo izugbe.you can correct me!

Abakaliki Igbo is no different from other Igbo language except intonations.

All Igbos speaks differently in our local dialect but have "Igbo Izugbe" as our lingua franca.

umuigbo udo nke Chineke diri unu.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 1:59pm On Jun 16, 2012
achi4u: @op,Igbo izugbe is not originated from one village or clan,it is a collection of different words from every clan in Igboland.fact?
Did you know that people from Anambra will need an interpreter for them to understand their fellow Aghamelum people when they speak.Aghamelum L.G.A is in Anambra state.yet some words mighty still be pick from there to complete igbo izugbe.

Again,there's a big different from speaking central igbo from writing Igbo izugbe.you can correct me!

Abakaliki Igbo is no different from other Igbo language except intonations.

All Igbos speaks differently in our local dialect but have "Igbo Izugbe" as our lingua franca.

umuigbo udo nke Chineke diri unu.

What we are discussing is the urban Igbo which is spoken in Aba,Enugu,Owerri and Onitsha streets which does not really belong to any particular group. The other is if a dialect is spoken in its close to pure form with little "Igbo Izugbe" interference, which dialect is more intelligible to most other Igbos? I picked Onitsha/Asaba dialect from a personal angle. I know most Igbo dialects though.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by achi4u(m): 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2012
Abagworo:

What we are discussing is the urban Igbo which is spoken in Aba,Enugu,Owerri and Onitsha streets which does not really belong to any particular group. The other is if a dialect is spoken in its close to pure form with little "Igbo Izugbe" interference, which dialect is more intelligible to most other Igbos? I picked Onitsha/Asaba dialect from a personal angle. I know most Igbo dialects though.
alright,i thought we in Abakaliki urban do speak central igbo too because of high population of all igbos in this area.nevertheless,Igbo izugbe were not originated from a particlar clan.

cheers
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by odumchi: 7:20pm On Jun 18, 2012
Does anyone know if Isuochi community in Okigwe LGA is also Isu?
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 8:42pm On Jun 18, 2012
odumchi: Does anyone know if Isuochi community in Okigwe LGA is also Isu?

That I don't know yet but the Isu in the name suggests Isu origin just like Isuikwuato and Isu in Onicha LGA of Ebonyi. I have however read where they were referred to as "Otanzu". They are related. I think most Igbos have one thing or the other with Isu and Nri.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by odumchi: 9:55pm On Jun 18, 2012
Abagworo:

That I don't know yet but the Isu in the name suggests Isu origin just like Isuikwuato and Isu in Onicha LGA of Ebonyi. I have however read where they were referred to as "Otanzu". They are related. I think most Igbos have one thing or the other with Isu and Nri.

Oh okay. I believe there's a good possibility that they're Isu but, since I'm not sure, I won't say anything. However, if they are Isu then that's revolutionary news for me personally because my maternal great grandmother was married over from Isuochi; meaning I'd have Isu ancestry.

Anyway, I found this document that sums up the history of standardization attempts within the Igbo language. It should answer the question of which dialect is nearest to (or resembles the most) Central Igbo once and for all.

[url]http://www.nuc.edu.ng/nucsite/File/UNN%20Inaugural%20Lectures/33rd%20Lecture.pdf[/url]
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by Obiagu1(m): 3:13am On Jun 19, 2012
^^^

Summary ...
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by odumchi: 5:23am On Jun 19, 2012
Obiagu1: ^^^

Summary ...

It's just describing the process of centralization from the Isuama period to our modern Izugbe period.
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ejiyke2007(m): 1:04am On Jul 26, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isu_people
Umu Igbo this is isuama wiki,am from isu in Imo state and isuama dialect,(isuama-example,oha,ebere,ohia,aha,otu,abuo,ato)( Anambra dialect- ora,ebele,ofia,afa,ofu,ibuo,ito)

am Isu man from ISU LGA IMO STATE
THIS IS PURE

1 Like

Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by odumchi: 1:13am On Jul 26, 2012
ejiyke2007: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isu_people
Umu Igbo this is isuama wiki,am from isu in Imo state and isuama ,(isuama-example,oha,ebere,ohia,aha,otu,abuo,ato)( anambra- ora,ebele,ofia,afa,ofu,ibuo,ito)

am Isu man from ISU LGA IMO STATE
THIS IS PURE

What you posted as Isuama is how most of Imo and parts of Abia speak.

What town do you come from?
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ejiyke2007(m): 1:23am On Jul 26, 2012
ISU MAN ROM ANAMDUGBA
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ejiyke2007(m): 1:23am On Jul 26, 2012
AMANDUGBA
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ejiyke2007(m): 1:25am On Jul 26, 2012
IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT ISUAMA THEN READ THE WIKI OK
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ejiyke2007(m): 1:26am On Jul 26, 2012
SOME PARTS OF ABIA SPEAKS LIKE ISU PEOPLE,
Re: Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? by ejiyke2007(m): 3:02am On Jul 26, 2012
ChinenyeN: As I have already stated, go and have a talk with Isu people. Don't come to me, because that is not my claim. If you are looking to vent your high blood pressure issues, then vent them with the right people (Isu). Do not be foolish enough to point in my direction.
am Isu man if you need any thing about isu you can ask ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are There Any Nigerian Tribes With Ancenstral Links With Tribes In Ghana? / My Personal Yoruba Lessons. / Fire At The Palace Of King Of Agodo In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.