Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,081 members, 7,953,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:46 PM

I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe (15916 Views)

UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University' / UNILAG VC Professor Adetokunbo Babatunde Sofoluwe Is Dead? / Unilag Vc List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by BabaOlowo: 10:30am On Jun 08, 2012
Honestly, it takes one to be an Akokite to really know the effect of this proposed name change, it is killing me too, am yet to get over it.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by lugards1: 10:31am On Jun 08, 2012
that is too sell fish on part of the vc
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by soapdish(f): 10:34am On Jun 08, 2012
nikkyshyne: We all can argue for or against the name change. The fact remains, unilag has been changed to Maul. Gradually but surely, we shall get used to it and perhaps forget it was ever called Unilag. Cox in the next 5 yrs or there about, new sets of lads wld take over.

What we shud be focused on is improving the standard of quality education in the sch.

Thank God say the guy no die sha.
"Shakes head"...with this line of reasoning, I really fear for our country. You may need to consult an SS 1 student to tutor you on DEMOCRACY, Τhe Principles of THE RULE OF LAW AND SEPARATION OF POWER. This UNILAG fiasco has exposed the level at which this Nation has decayed. It is truly worrisome that some of us who claim to be educated are willing to swallow hook,line and sinker any rubbish from the government.
Let's watch and see how this plays out. Besides, people should know that it is no longer business as usual in the polity as Nigerians are beginning to understand that they actually do have a say..

2 Likes

Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by Nemerem44(m): 10:37am On Jun 08, 2012
Prof, u won't die for reasonable things like the decay in the Education sector. Na name change matter u wan kill urself for. U no dey shame. F**k this brand name shit

1 Like

Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by Turbocharged: 10:38am On Jun 08, 2012
A world brand where lucturers sell handout, collect money for mark and certificates are sold. And this "Egunje prof" is busy talking about achievements.
I fear oo.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by sylve11: 10:39am On Jun 08, 2012
JAMILO2020: PROFESSOR OR VC,

YOU SAID YOU NEARLY DIED JUST BECAUSE THE FOOLISH GEJ RENAMED UNILAG?

DONT YOU THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE PROCEEDED TO DIE, INSTEAD OF NEARLY DYING?

WHERE WAS YOUR BIG MOUTH WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE HAS BEEN DONE WRONGLY IN NIGERIA.

IF PEOPLE WITH YOUR BACKGROUND AND INFLUENCE HAD THE COURAGE TO SPEAK UP ABOUT THE MISMANAGEMENT OF NIGERIA, OUR BELOVED COUNTRY WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT BETTER FOR EVERYONE.

PLEASE NEXT TIME THE CLUELESS GEJ DO SOMETHING WRONG, WHICH I EXPECT HE WILL SOON DO AGAIN, PLEASE DONT WAIT TO NEARLY DIE, JUST GO AHEAD AND KILL YOURSELF.

AFTERALL MADAM GEJ TALK AM SAY "I RATHER KILL MYSELF THAN COMMIT SUCIDE"

PLEASE PLEASE PROFESSOR VC, JUST TAKE MADAM GEJ' GOOD ADVICE.

USELESS MAN!!!!!!!
sad cool
na u nor even make sense pass. just review ur post first wether any sense dey.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by alex406(m): 10:40am On Jun 08, 2012
Wey that carpenter Jegede? Abeg go nak tht posi(coffin)for prof.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 08, 2012
shameless Proff "I nearly died"
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by kaiye007: 10:42am On Jun 08, 2012
[quote author=gregg2]Assuming we had UNILAG changed to Ibidapo Obe University, Lagos (IOU)
would Prof still be saying the same thing?
Good point!
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by gorgeousdiva: 10:44am On Jun 08, 2012
I am sooooo proud of this VC for speaking up despite the adversaries. Sanity at last! There is a whole lot of importance in a name. It's ur identity. It's everything. I pray UNILAG, d 50yr old brand of success wins d day. One luv, Prof.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by blackpanda: 10:46am On Jun 08, 2012
Alxmyr: Despite the professor's hard work claim and the world brand claim, UNILAG ranked 38th in Africa, and third in Nigeria.

http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/

Funny u shld mention this....pls how many of these top universities did u see suddenly re-named after private individuals? A name is everything in any institution. Pple spend a lot of money, time and resources to build brands. Suddenly changing the name destroys everything

1 Like

Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by Turbocharged: 10:46am On Jun 08, 2012
@soapdish
Have u taken out time to read the Act establishing the university and every other federal university in Nigeria, wt a view of knowing the powers of 'The Visitor'? Just try dat and maybe consult a (neutral) lawyer for intepretations.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by Tattooboy: 10:48am On Jun 08, 2012
pro01:

So EIGHT South African universities are in the top ten? This has got to be a 'biased' rating. My goodness. How embarrassing.
Most recognise country in Africa.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by nomshu(m): 10:52am On Jun 08, 2012
Why you no die na? those that affect your salary? this is anoying walahi.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by Turbocharged: 10:59am On Jun 08, 2012
@blackpanda
I don't know if you know, but to remind you. In the days of Abiola, UNILAG will not hold any ceremony without him. Infact, Moshood Abiola was, and still is, the highest financial contributor to building the so called brand. Prove me wrong wt fact
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by tanimola22: 11:03am On Jun 08, 2012
Turbocharged: A world brand where lucturers sell handout, collect money for mark and certificates are sold. And this "Egunje prof" is busy talking about achievements.
I fear oo.

Mr or Mrs, to be fair, I think you would have to distinguish among lecturers and not just lump lecturers together. Many of the lecturers that taught me and trained me and exposed me did not collect one naira from me. Many Unilag lecturers are not hungry; many of them have got choices; many of them are not frustrated and fraudulent because they themselves are achievers, at least the older ones.

I would be very happy if you could give just an instance when Ibidapo Obe collected egunje from you, your friends or even your far relations. Shame the prof with proof.

T22.

1 Like

Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 08, 2012
gregg2: Prof is just selfish. That his personal achievement will
be affected by the name change doesn't mean a thing.
UNILAG or MAULAG whatever, is FG's property.
National interest overrides personal interest.
. Gregg2,you are an idiot! Whats the national interest here??how does the name change improve the living standard of the wretched old women in your village? Or how does it prevent further plane crashes?or improve our power supply?you're one hell of an idiot
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by poj(m): 11:08am On Jun 08, 2012
It takes d builder of a brand to understand d implication of rebranding. Haters think abt it.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by coolted(m): 11:10am On Jun 08, 2012
I'm still don't know y he didn't die.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 08, 2012
Alxmyr: Despite the professor's hard work claim and the world brand claim, UNILAG ranked 38th in Africa, and third in Nigeria.

http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/
. And renaming it would drag it back to square one.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by tanimola22: 11:14am On Jun 08, 2012
soapdish:
"Shakes head"...with this line of reasoning, I really fear for our country. You may need to consult an SS 1 student to tutor you on DEMOCRACY, Τhe Principles of THE RULE OF LAW AND SEPARATION OF POWER. This UNILAG fiasco has exposed the level at which this Nation has decayed. It is truly worrisome that some of us who claim to be educated are willing to swallow hook,line and sinker any rubbish from the government.
Let's watch and see how this plays out. Besides, people should know that it is no longer business as usual in the polity as Nigerians are beginning to understand that they actually do have a say..

In fact, just go through threads on different sections of nairaland and you will get more and more surprised about the bad belle some people have towards unilag.

I won't say I am peeved, but it is beginning to astonish me the way people start up threads just to remind unilag of its crappy nature. And I have noticed that this attack does not mostly come from alumni of other very respectable naija universities. You see, the truth of the matter is that all naija universities are crappy by international standards, so I see no reason why we should be constantly reminded that one of them is especially crappy.

T22
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by iykak47: 11:25am On Jun 08, 2012
The man said government can even name all the nine new universities after Abiloa,that he has no problem with that provided unilag is not renamed. Kai, Prof your selfishness knows no bounds.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by soapdish(f): 11:29am On Jun 08, 2012
Turbocharged: @soapdish
Have u taken out time to read the Act establishing the university and every other federal university in Nigeria, wt a view of knowing the powers of 'The Visitor'? Just try dat and maybe consult a (neutral) lawyer for intepretations.
I believe you are talking about S. 16 of Τhe UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS ACT. I have read the provisions of that Section and the section does not in any way empower the Visitor to usurp the powers vested in the National Assembly.
People need to understand that it is not the change of the name literally that is in issue rather it is the process through which this name change came about that is in issue. Even if Τhe UNILAG ACT vested such powers on the Visitor, can the Visitor wield his powers irrationally, disregarding due process and the rule of law in a democracy. Why didn't he present the bill to the NA for debate and possible amendment before announcing it to the public.
Τhe bill is now before the NA and the matter is also before the court so we are waiting to see the outcome
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by soapdish(f): 11:31am On Jun 08, 2012
Turbocharged: @soapdish
I believe you are talking about S. 16 of Τhe UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS ACT. I have read the provisions of that Section and the section does not in any way empower the Visitor to usurp the powers vested in the National Assembly.
People need to understand that it is not the change of the name literally that is in issue rather it is the process through which this name change came about that is in issue. Even if Τhe UNILAG ACT vested such powers on the Visitor, can the Visitor wield his powers irrationally, disregarding due process and the rule of law in a democracy. Why didn't he present the bill to the NA for debate and possible amendment before announcing it to the public.
Τhe bill is now before the NA and the matter is also before the court so we await the outcome.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by iykak47: 11:58am On Jun 08, 2012
soapdish:
Τhe bill is now before the NA and the matter is also before the court so we await the outcome.
But the president has already sent the bill to National assembly, the argument about lack of due process is defeated, afterall National University Commission(NUC) has not taken any action in respect of the new name. undecided
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by solomon111(m): 11:59am On Jun 08, 2012
soapdish:
What a load of bull$hit!
Are you the one funding unilag?
You are screaming legal terms that you dont know the meaning.
Who told you that it is no longer unilag?
It was only a preposition by Gej,and he has done it the right and lawful way,by sending it to the house of reps.
So,until they ratify it,the name still remain unilag.
Instead,of lobbying the house of reps,you are busy typing incoherent rubbish.
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by solomon111(m): 12:01pm On Jun 08, 2012
iykak47: But the president has already sent the bill to National assembly, the argument about lack of due process is defeated, afterall National University Commission(NUC) has not taken any action in respect of the new name. undecided
You dey mind them?
Bunch of nitwits!!
Re: I Almost Died When Jonathan Renamed Unilag – Former Unilag Vc Ibidapo-obe by Sammiecrown(m): 12:07pm On Jun 08, 2012
It Is a wrong decision on the part of the President

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Again, FG, ASUU Unable To Agree On Payment Platform / WAEC RUNS And WAEC Miracle Centers: Why You Must Avoid Them / Ibom Metropolitan Polytechnic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.