Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,671 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Respect For Single Mothers! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Respect For Single Mothers! (903 Views)

8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. / Why Is It A Challenge For Single Mum's To Get Married? / Thread For Single Mothers/ Fathers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Respect For Single Mothers! by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jun 08, 2012
So strongly does she feel about the demonisation of single mothers that she has taken on the role of their champion by presenting a forthcoming BBC3 documentary about their harsh and unfair treatment in decades past to remind us how fragile and easily attacked is their status as head of the family. I'm talking to her the week after the riots, when single mothers have been indirectly blamed for the violence and looting in English towns and cities by fatherless boys.

Jamelia herself was brought up by a single mother, Paulette Davis, who became pregnant with her as a teenager, so she sees all the issues from the perspective of a second-generation single mother and believes that her dysfunctional relationships with her children's fathers were due to her own fatherless childhood. "I grew up without my dad being involved with my upbringing, without a father figure of any sort. Had I had one, my choices of partner would have been better," she says. "I first met my dad when I was 18 months old, but he was in and out of my life because he was also in and out of prison. He got out when I was 15, and by that time we couldn't get a relationship going because he had let me down so many times."

Jamelia was born to Jamaican parents in Handsworth, a deprived part of Birmingham with a history of rioting in 1981, 1985 and 1991. Her father, Donald Williams, spent years in jail for armed robbery and some of her stepbrothers by her mother's later marriage to Asher Beckford also have a string of convictions, most notoriously in the case of Tumbi Beckford who was sentenced to 18 years in jail for the fatal shooting of Daniel Bogle in a case of mistaken identity over a drugs row.

Read the full story here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/aug/20/jamelia-single-parents
Re: Respect For Single Mothers! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 08, 2012
I created this thread because of the vitriolic comments about single mothers on the teenage pregnancy thread. We need to stop judging people, the world isn't a perfect place.

Please, let us stop judging people. Mistakes happen in life.
Re: Respect For Single Mothers! by Gambrosia: 10:38pm On Jan 21, 2013
I respect only the responsible ones o! kiss
Not the ones that abandon their children to chase men or women all over in last-ditch efforts to re-live their miserable youths all over again. . . .and MORE SHAMEFULLY TOO! angry
Only those who really remain BETTER EQUIPPED for parenthood than their 'other' dysfunctional counterparts in counterfeited matrimony! cool

(1) (Reply)

How Open Should One Be In Marriage? / Is Marriage Compulsory? / Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.