Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,299 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? (2133 Views)

Student's Forced Haircut Caused Death of Teacher. For Atheists And Religionists. / Traditional Religionists Should Build TEMPLES Like In The Old Days!!! / Religionists: Is Abstinence Really Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 5:54pm On Jun 08, 2012
I was travelling in a commercial vehicle recently. As usual with people, they started arguing and debating all sorts of issues. Marital,girl-child education, female rights,corruption,same sex relationships , politics, just anything.
I was completely disgusted with the ignorance, sheer stupidity being spewed. There was no sentence without the word 'God' in it. All sort of ignorant comments,' we are being punished because girls wear mini-skirts'. God was claimed to be punishing us and yet they praise him every two seconds.
The driver kept implying that if we are going to crash, God will crash us! Most passengers sort of agreed. Some of them seemed to be poorly educated or did not school at all. All their views were incredibly myopic and disgraceful infact.
The problem is I could not even engage them as most of them were way older than me. Now, I kept thinking about a way in which I could educate them . The only effective manner I could think of could be used by an intuitive person among them to identify me as an atheist. This will surely lead to complete refusal to hear me out. And may even lead to violence with the driver. I see him as a muslim fanatic. My appearance like an islamic alfa won't help matters.
Now, I want to know about other atheist experiences in this type of situation. I specifically also want to hear the method you may use to handle situations like the one I found myself. YOUR OPINIONS/METHODs are appreciated.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by cyrexx: 7:15pm On Jun 08, 2012
I dont bother to educate those who are not willing to be educated. I just enjoy my newfound freedom from religion without any need to force it on anybody's throat. Nigeria as a country still possess a strongly bigoted anti-atheism sentiments and any such public engagement will probably go wrong as they might see you as part of the cause of god's anger against mankind since their imaginary god hates unbelief and rational thinking that goes against the holy books. What i normally do is play along with them on public discussions like that and will not bring issues on my personal beliefs unless specifically asked. Sometimes i inject some questions and observations here and there that might make some religionists start evaluating their belief system, but i'm always careful not to disclose my atheism as they might "stone" me thinking they are helping their powerless god who needs men to fight for him. One day one day i believe our country will become as intellectually mature as the developed nations like Japan and England where religious sentiments will not cloud rational thinking.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by logicboy: 7:25pm On Jun 08, 2012
Avicenna: I was travelling in a commercial vehicle recently. As usual with people, they started arguing and debating all sorts of issues. Marital,girl-child education, female rights,corruption,same sex relationships , politics, just anything.
I was completely disgusted with the ignorance, sheer stupidity being spewed. There was no sentence without the word 'God' in it. All sort of ignorant comments,' we are being punished because girls wear mini-skirts'. God was claimed to be punishing us and yet they praise him every two seconds.
The driver kept implying that if we are going to crash, God will crash us! Most passengers sort of agreed. Some of them seemed to be poorly educated or did not school at all. All their views were incredibly myopic and disgraceful infact.
The problem is I could not even engage them as most of them were way older than me. Now, I kept thinking about a way in which I could educate them . The only effective manner I could think of could be used by an intuitive person among them to identify me as an atheist. This will surely lead to complete refusal to hear me out. And may even lead to violence with the driver. I see him as a muslim fanatic. My appearance like an islamic alfa won't help matters.
Now, I want to know about other atheist experiences in this type of situation. I specifically also want to hear the method you may use to handle situations like the one I found myself. YOUR OPINIONS/METHODs are appreciated.

In the UK;

Many people know what atheists are and so, they might not be that aggressive towards you and will engage in civil but heated arguments. There are intolerant bigots that will either ignore you or threaten you after you debunk/answer their questions on God/religion. 20% of people in the UK are atheists

In Nigeria;

You will get insulted if you are young or look young. You will also be threatened and become an outcast in an argument. The only way you can argue or debate with religious people in Nigeria is if you are very old. Nigerians respect power and age. They would be careful in insulting you

1 Like

Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 11:04pm On Jun 08, 2012
cyrexx: I dont bother to educate those who are not willing to be educated. I just enjoy my newfound freedom from religion without any need to force it on anybody's throat. Nigeria as a country still possess a strongly bigoted anti-atheism sentiments and any such public engagement will probably go wrong as they might see you as part of the cause of god's anger against mankind since their imaginary god hates unbelief and rational thinking that goes against the holy books. What i normally do is play along with them on public discussions like that and will not bring issues on my personal beliefs unless specifically asked. Sometimes i inject some questions and observations here and there that might make some religionists start evaluating their belief system, but i'm always careful not to disclose my atheism as they might "stone" me thinking they are helping their powerless god who needs men to fight for him. One day one day i believe our country will become as intellectually mature as the developed nations like Japan and England where religious sentiments will not cloud rational thinking.
I see.
I normally play along too but the urge to engage them was strong. I barely managed to conceal my disgust. Had to keep quiet through out the journey. the method you mentioned about injecting questions and observation is what I m also talking about. But they may catch on and ask more personal questions. It will invariably lead to a conflict/shouting match/violence I cannot win.
Thanks.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 11:33pm On Jun 08, 2012
logicboy:

In the UK;

Many people know what atheists are and so, they might not be that aggressive towards you and will engage in civil but heated arguments. There are intolerant bigots that will either ignore you or threaten you after you debunk/answer their questions on God/religion. 20% of people in the UK are atheists

In Nigeria;

You will get insulted if you are young or look young. You will also be threatened and become an outcast in an argument. The only way you can argue or debate with religious people in Nigeria is if you are very old. Nigerians respect power and age. They would be careful in insulting you

Logic, trust me, old men WILL be humiliated over that kind of sincerely held position. But if you are powerful, another game entirely. In this country, political power is not easy to come by. I intend to live my life and leave something great behind. If I can acquire such greatness, I will make sure to shatter that useless religious ideologies. Wole Soyinka tried but I don't think there's much effect.
By the way, have you ever been in that kind of situation?
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by logicboy: 11:40pm On Jun 08, 2012
Avicenna:
Logic, trust me, old men WILL be humiliated over that kind of sincerely held position. But if you are powerful, another game entirely. In this country, political power is easy to come by. I intend to live my life and leave something great behind. If I can acquire such greatness, I will make sure to shatter that useless religious ideologies. Wole Soyinka tried but I don't think there's much effect.
By the way, have you ever been in that kind of situation?

Not really. In my own situation, I lied that I was a christian so that I could bash christianity. I was arguing in a friends house at a gathering in Nigeria. I was already on the losing side because I was bashing the idea of God and the fake pastors.

It wasnt long before I was called a fake christian and a devil. However, I was saved by my lie. If I had said that I was an atheist at the beginning, it would have been the end.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by dorox(m): 11:45pm On Jun 08, 2012
though i am a christian but i can relate with your frustration when you hear people saying things that are just not true. My advise to you since you are from an islamic society is to use a liberal interpretation of the koran and some common sense argument to make your point, that way nobody will suspect you of being an atheist even when they disagree with you and some will even find your message to be fresh and attractive due to its islamic packaging.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 12:07am On Jun 09, 2012
dorox: though i am a christian but i can relate with your frustration when you hear people saying things that are just not true. My advise to you since you are from an islamic society is to use a liberal interpretation of the koran and some common sense argument to make your point, that way nobody will suspect you of being an atheist even when they disagree with you and some will even find your message to be fresh and attractive due to its islamic packaging.
Hmmmmm
Looks good but there is nothing like a liberal interpretation of the Quran. You either ignore practising a surah that says something you don't agree with(kill infidels) or practise it. Simple. Unlike the bible, interpretations of the quran is constant.
So, if a professed alfa quotes a ayah, you possibly cannot dispute it. Unless you can prove it is not from the Quran or hadith. Even more, you cannot know everything, it is arabic. The english version is all mangled up. They will teach you some arabic but it won't be enough for proper translation.
Once the driver says some rubbish arabic you don't know, he's assumed to be well grounded in islamic theology. Debating him will expose your limited knowledge in arabic( not islam or quran) which makes you look like fool. The passengers were ill-educated or not educated at all, so logical proofs is not enough because they simply cannot follow the logic.
Trust me, man, there is no common sense you can apply that they are not supposed to know already. They just willfully ignore it.
I want something. I want a effective method of injecting doubts in those people without any backlash for me.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by logicboy: 12:36am On Jun 09, 2012
Avicenna:
Hmmmmm
Looks good but there is nothing like a liberal interpretation of the Quran. You either ignore practising a surah that says something you don't agree with(kill infidels) or practise it. Simple. Unlike the bible, interpretations of the quran is constant.
So, if a professed alfa quotes a ayah, you possibly cannot dispute it. Unless you can prove it is not from the Quran or hadith. Even more, you cannot know everything, it is arabic. The english version is all mangled up. They will teach you some arabic but it won't be enough for proper translation.
Once the driver says some rubbish arabic you don't know, he's assumed to be well grounded in islamic theology. Debating him will expose your limited knowledge in arabic( not islam or quran) which makes you look like fool. The passengers were ill-educated or not educated at all, so logical proofs is not enough because they simply cannot follow the logic.
Trust me, man, there is no common sense you can apply that they are not supposed to know already. They just willfully ignore it.
I want something. I want a effective method of injecting doubts in those people without any backlash for me.

Then you have to ask questions. That is how I broke my atheism to my uncle who is a borderline extremist for christianity. You ask questions that make them to negate themselves or the bible/koran

Atheist; Do you believe that God knows everything and controls it all?
Christian/Muslim; Yes
Atheist; Is it God's will that you are alive and well?
Christian/muslim; Yes
Atheist; Is it not then God's will that others are suffering from AIDs and Cancer or starvation? Or God's will that people died in Dana c
Christian/Muslim; .....EH....No.....Never!!!
Atheist; But God wills everything or is it the devil/Djinn?

The conversation can go to 3 ways;

1) Yes, the devil---- You will counter by saying that they are calling sick and suffering people "hosts of the devil"
2) Erm.....err......I'm not sure- You have put some doubt here.
3) God gives man the freewill---You will counter here by saying "how is it freewill if God knows that a man is going to die by aids before he even gets aids?"

What do you think?
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 12:51am On Jun 09, 2012
Exactly.....
Cyrexx also implied same thing with the doubt thing.
I think that this can only be used on educated, logical people. I used that method on someone before. The reply is God's ways are mysterious, you should not question it( I became an atheist soon afterwards cheesy).
Now, let's come to the kind of people I'm talking about. They will attack,verbally or even physically at the slightest 'insult' to their religion. They seem not to grasp the irony of their Gods. If I follow through with your conversation, they may not label me an atheist if I do not tell them. They will just think I'm a bad muslim. This will certainly nullify any gains I had with them. But whatever doubts I introduce will immediately be evaporated once they step out of that vehicle.
Logic, please do not think I'm debunking anything. From those previous posts, I v learned somethings. If I can take the merits from them and think something up, it will be worthwhile.
One thing I think may help is IF I get their respects first. I do not have age or power on my side so it will be harder to gain respect. Medical anytin or not.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 12:55am On Jun 09, 2012
Let me tell you a comment on Dana plane crash. ' The politicians are doing their rituals. They are using innocent blood to 'wet' the ground.' There was no blame on the airline that operated the faulty plane. 153 people confirmed dead and the response was superstition and more superstitions.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by logicboy: 12:57am On Jun 09, 2012
Avicenna: Exactly.....
Cyrexx also implied same thing with the doubt thing.
I think that this can only be used on educated, logical people. I used that method on someone before. The reply is God's ways are mysterious, you should not question it( I became an atheist soon afterwards cheesy).
Now, let's come to the kind of people I'm talking about. They will attack,verbally or even physically at the slightest 'insult' to their religion. They seem not to grasp the irony of their Gods. If I follow through with your conversation, they may not label me an atheist if I do not tell them. They will just think I'm a bad muslim. This will certainly nullify any gains I had with them. But whatever doubts I introduce will immediately be evaporated once they step out of that vehicle.
Logic, please do not think I'm debunking anything. From those previous posts, I v learned somethings. If I can take the merits from them and think something up, it will be worthwhile.
One thing I think may help is IF I get their respects first. I do not have age or power on my side so it will be harder to gain respect. Medical anytin or not.

Agreed
That is it. You either say what they want to hear (Islam is the greatest thing since sliced yam) or you berra get the power to influence them. Logical arguments only works with people who understand logic in the first place.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by dorox(m): 12:59am On Jun 09, 2012
My apologies for a thoughtless advice, sometimes i just forget how rigid islam is. You should avoid engaging more than one person at a time, with one person the discussion is more focused and the individual is not bothered about how he/she is perceived by others and is forced to think with the absence of group knowledge, above all i think it will be safer for you in case the person is unreceptive compared to an unreptive group of people on a bus.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by logicboy: 1:00am On Jun 09, 2012
Avicenna: Let me tell you a comment on Dana plane crash. ' The politicians are doing their rituals. They are using innocent blood to 'wet' the ground.' There was no blame on the airline that operated the faulty plane. 153 people confirmed dead and the response was superstition and more superstitions.

I am dumbfounded. I think that you have very little chance of reasoning with such a person. The best way to correct the person is that there would be no gain for the politicians nothing at all. The best way is to follow the money- people died because the airline wanted to save money on repairs and new planes.

Blood money only works in a shrine
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by dorox(m): 1:06am On Jun 09, 2012
logicboy:

I am dumbfounded. I think that you have very little chance of reasoning with such a person. The best way to correct the person is that there would be no gain for the politicians nothing at all. The best way is to follow the money- people died because the airline wanted to save money on repairs and new planes.

Blood money only works in a shrine
I agree with you concerning the fact that not everybody you can reason with but even among those with some extremely whacky views a few can still be reached.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by cyrexx: 7:14am On Jun 09, 2012
Avicenna: Let me tell you a comment on Dana plane crash. ' The politicians are doing their rituals. They are using innocent blood to 'wet' the ground.' There was no blame on the airline that operated the faulty plane. 153 people confirmed dead and the response was superstition and more superstitions.
that is the annoying thing about religion. Everything is always attributed to the supernatural and therefore man cannot do anything about it but hope that god will make things better. This line of thinking puts a brake on any attempt to make things better and thus development is hindered. E.g. The airline operators will not be put to task to ensure better security etc etc (as a side note, many people including religionists do not realise that they have a more loving heart than their most beneficient imaginary god and will do a better job than him if they are granted omnipotence and omniscience to run this world).

I support dorox in the sense that engaging them one on one will be more fruitful as there wont be any compulsion to conform to majority views of the public. But its sad to acknowledge that rational liberal thinking is a minority in nigeria. Even dorox will be crucified by fellow hardliner christians for not believing that god sends people to burn alive in hell forever. I suggest you engage people one on one. What i personally observed is that many people and even some religious leaders are secretly atheists/agnostic/liberal thinkers but will not come out of the closet until they encounter someone with the same belief system. Its a matter of time. England too was very superstitious before they rose up. Nigeria is coming up gradually. Many people will start coming out of their closet gradually...
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 8:03am On Jun 09, 2012
logicboy:

Agreed
That is it. You either say what they want to hear (Islam is the greatest thing since sliced yam) or you berra get the power to influence them. Logical arguments only works with people who understand logic in the first place.

I see.
Power to influence them. This is true.
I have stopped saying anything about Islam. See, when I am asked to give a lecture in class for muslim students, I usually spun tall tales(that I was told about). They swallow the bullsh.it ,ALL of it. Agreeing with them will only lead to a greater reinforcement of their religious views.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 8:11am On Jun 09, 2012
dorox: My apologies for a thoughtless advice, sometimes i just forget how rigid islam is. You should avoid engaging more than one person at a time, with one person the discussion is more focused and the individual is not bothered about how he/she is perceived by others and is forced to think with the absence of group knowledge, above all i think it will be safer for you in case the person is unreceptive compared to an unreptive group of people on a bus.
Abeg oo, it is not bad advice.

Engage one person at a time alone. True.
But that driver should not be engaged until power/greatness is acquired. He is a fanatic or seemed to be.
They are strangers. It will be easy to get away without my identity being revealed.
Thank you.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by logicboy: 8:13am On Jun 09, 2012
Avicenna:
I see.
Power to influence them. This is true.
I have stopped saying anything about Islam. See, when I am asked to give a lecture in class for muslim students, I usually spun tall tales(that I was told about). They swallow the bullsh.it ,ALL of it. Agreeing with them will only lead to a greater reinforcement of their religious views.

It is very good that you started this thread. I am also learning things.

I do not mean to be rude but I think you should also be on the Islam section on Nairaland where you can convince more people about the truth concerning religion. As an atheist with a christian background, my arguments can always be misconstrued as islamophobia. However, you have the Islamic background to challenge things.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by 2good(m): 8:15am On Jun 09, 2012
Avicenna: I was travelling in a commercial vehicle recently. As usual with people, they started arguing and debating all sorts of issues. Marital,girl-child education, female rights,corruption,same sex relationships , politics, just anything.

I have been an unbeliever for the past 16 years and lived most of my adult life experience with insult from everybody around me because of my believes. It is practically almost impossible for people to change. Even well educated Nigerians in top university globally still reason daft when it comes to religious matter. It is like a way of life to them and its almost impossible to convince them and make them sea reason in what you are saying. Only people that are ready to query the system by asking pertinent questions and reason objectively can be de-converted from their delusion.
Also another major problem is that children are not allowed to go against elders or query the authority of elders even when they are saying nonsense and the consequence of all that is the backwardness we experience today in Nigeria and Africa at large.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 8:22am On Jun 09, 2012
dorox:
I agree with you concerning the fact that not everybody you can reason with but even among those with some extremely whacky views a few can still be reached.
True.
But some of them will respond with violence if it specifically concern religion. It will be insults and abuse over other matters. I don't mind defending myself but the aim will be defeated.
Another comment ' women should not go to school. By 14 or 16, they should be in their husbands house. they are the cause of our problems. They wear mini skirts, they put on make up, they no longer listen to adults. For THIS reason God is angry with Nigeria and he's punishing us'. Such bigotry is beyond me.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by 2good(m): 8:31am On Jun 09, 2012
Avicenna:
True.
But some of them will respond with violence if it specifically concern religion. It will be insults and abuse over other matters. I don't mind defending myself but the aim will be defeated.
Another comment ' women should not go to school. By 14 or 16, they should be in their husbands house. they are the cause of our problems. They wear mini skirts, they put on make up, they no longer listen to adults. For THIS reason God is angry with Nigeria and he's punishing us'. Such bigotry is beyond me.

There is nothing you can discuss with the person that made the quote you stated above. The person need to go start an adult education from primary 1 because he/she have completely lost an important part of growing up
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by ea7(m): 8:52am On Jun 09, 2012
I've been outed at my school. Though no one makes a big deal of it, only my friends in BS society, bible study society or as I call it bullsh*t society. I managed to get some people to my side/deconvert some people. One of the B.S guys just debated with me on facebook this week, he eventually ran away. My advice is...go one on one with people, if in groups you might be ridiculed and they just affirm each others beliefs anyway.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 9:10am On Jun 09, 2012
cyrexx:
that is the annoying thing about religion. Everything is always attributed to the supernatural and therefore man cannot do anything about it but hope that god will make things better. This line of thinking puts a brake on any attempt to make things better and thus development is hindered. E.g. The airline operators will not be put to task to ensure better security etc etc (as a side note, many people including religionists do not realise that they have a more loving heart than their most beneficient imaginary god and will do a better job than him if they are granted omnipotence and omniscience to run this world).

I support dorox in the sense that engaging them one on one will be more fruitful as there wont be any compulsion to conform to majority views of the public. But its sad to acknowledge that rational liberal thinking is a minority in nigeria. Even dorox will be crucified by fellow hardliner christians for not believing that god sends people to burn alive in hell forever. I suggest you engage people one on one. What i personally observed is that many people and even some religious leaders are secretly atheists/agnostic/liberal thinkers but will not come out of the closet until they encounter someone with the same belief system. Its a matter of time. England too was very superstitious before they rose up. Nigeria is coming up gradually. Many people will start coming out of their closet gradually...
Just like you said, I will also follow Dorox advice.
I hope we will get there. I don't want to be like religionists. Because if we don't do it, it will not happen. Instead of waiting for some useless entity to take control.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by harakiri(m): 10:02am On Jun 09, 2012
At first, i used to be confrontational when religious folks try to make an issue out of my non-belief in religion. Now, i just give them a bored look and regard them as cows!!! (no offense). Rather than arguing with the sheeple, it's best to use your life as an example for them. Mind you, they will always be wishing for one calamity or the other to befall you so that they can gloat and say "YES! god don catch am!".

Arguing with someone who has been brainwashed from childhood is pointless. Bantering with someone who is irredeemably biased towards anything other than what he/she has been taught is a waste of time. Atheism unlike religion doesn't seek converts. You are either born into a non-religious society or you drop religion based on your doubts in it's credibility. These are simple facts that appear hard rocks for religious sheeple to swallow. Their brains can't comprehend how a human being can survive this harsh world without believing in something supenatural.

Nuff said!
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 10:31am On Jun 09, 2012
logicboy:

It is very good that you started this thread. I am also learning things.

I do not mean to be rude but I think you should also be on the Islam section on Nairaland where you can convince more people about the truth concerning religion. As an atheist with a christian background, my arguments can always be misconstrued as islamophobia. However, you have the Islamic background to challenge things.

I see some of your threads. Once they are moved into the islam section, it is brutally killed. Not because of it is not true or thought-provoking but because they are a vicious group there.
One more thing. Going through the threads, they are within realm of Islam. Even if I don't agree with them and point out sheer evil in most verses, they will simply claim IT IS ISLAM. Live with it. They really succeeded in building a fortress.
But it seems I will have to dust my Quran again. To debunk that violent religion.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by thehomer: 11:08am On Jun 09, 2012

One thing you could try is just to pick one person that you feel is closest to you in some way maybe in age or educational degree and try to have a conversation with them by asking them pertinent questions on questionable issues such as God crashing the bus. You could begin by wondering why God who is good would want to crash this bus with so many people who have families. You could also point out that the bus and vehicle accidents in general are human caused or machine caused and that this is why people get sued for accidents in courts etc.
What I mean in effect is that you just try to settle on having a conversation with one person and others may join in. If you're asked a question on God and all that but you do now wish to identify yourself as an atheist, you could simply say that your own personal belief in God is different from theirs.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 1:21pm On Jun 09, 2012
thehomer:

One thing you could try is just to pick one person that you feel is closest to you in some way maybe in age or educational degree and try to have a conversation with them by asking them pertinent questions on questionable issues such as God crashing the bus. You could begin by wondering why God who is good would want to crash this bus with so many people who have families. You could also point out that the bus and vehicle accidents in general are human caused or machine caused and that this is why people get sued for accidents in courts etc.
What I mean in effect is that you just try to settle on having a conversation with one person and others may join in. If you're asked a question on God and all that but you do now wish to identify yourself as an atheist, you could simply say that your own personal belief in God is different from theirs.
Great.
The similarity between the advice is that I should engage them one on one , never in groups. Okay.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 1:24pm On Jun 09, 2012
2good:

I have been an unbeliever for the past 16 years and lived most of my adult life experience with insult from everybody around me because of my believes. It is practically almost impossible for people to change. Even well educated Nigerians in top university globally still reason daft when it comes to religious matter. It is like a way of life to them and its almost impossible to convince them and make them sea reason in what you are saying. Only people that are ready to query the system by asking pertinent questions and reason objectively can be de-converted from their delusion.
Also another major problem is that children are not allowed to go against elders or query the authority of elders even when they are saying nonsense and the consequence of all that is the backwardness we experience today in Nigeria and Africa at large.
But how can I make them ready to query the system? Any ideas? I know it is almost impossible. Thanks.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by ijawkid(m): 1:36pm On Jun 09, 2012
logicboy:

Not really. In my own situation, I lied that I was a christian so that I could bash christianity. I was arguing in a friends house at a gathering in Nigeria. I was already on the losing side because I was bashing the idea of God and the fake pastors.

It wasnt long before I was called a fake christian and a devil. However, I was saved by my lie. If I had said that I was an atheist at the beginning, it would have been the end.

Them for tie u rope for neck if they knew u were an atheist from d unset.....

I got an atheist freind and we discuss a lot......
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by Avicenna: 1:39pm On Jun 09, 2012
harakiri: At first, i used to be confrontational when religious folks try to make an issue out of my non-belief in religion. Now, i just give them a bored look and regard them as cows!!! (no offense). Rather than arguing with the sheeple, it's best to use your life as an example for them. Mind you, they will always be wishing for one calamity or the other to befall you so that they can gloat and say "YES! god don catch am!".

Arguing with someone who has been brainwashed from childhood is pointless. Bantering with someone who is irredeemably biased towards anything other than what he/she has been taught is a waste of time. Atheism unlike religion doesn't seek converts. You are either born into a non-religious society or you drop religion based on your doubts in it's credibility. These are simple facts that appear hard rocks for religious sheeple to swallow. Their brains can't comprehend how a human being can survive this harsh world without believing in something supenatural.

Nuff said!
Use your life as an example. Very true.
So, it is impossible that Nigerians will drop religion or the concept of a personal God any time soon. It will be safer to ignore arguing with them because they will do anything to show you that their powerless God exists. Even causing you calamities in the name of their God.
Re: How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? by dorox(m): 1:42pm On Jun 09, 2012
ijawkid:

Them for tie u rope for neck if they knew u were an atheist from d unset.....

I got an atheist freind and we discuss a lot......
My sister and two of my brothers are atheist, my mum is an agnostic while two of my other sisters are strong christians with me just managing to hold on to the faith. I was formerly an agnostic

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are All The Angels In Heaven Men? / if jesus died facing firing squad, what would v been the symbol of christianity? / Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.