Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

[Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This (8205 Views)

HELP Solve Asp.net Project Error / Please Help! Difficulty In Deploying A Finished And Running Vb.net Project / .NET C#/VB.NET Project in the Pipeline for Programmers who may be interested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

[Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 10:02am On Jun 09, 2012
Hello programmers,
This is a desktop (window based application) i have been wanting to go into. The problems this sytem should solve are;
1. It should keep records of students, courses offered by d student and and the scores through out the students stay in d school.
2. It should at any point in time, calculate the CGPA of the student,
3. It should give room for correction of result if later discovered that there was an error such as omition of scores by the course lecturer and during the generation of reports of the student's results, the particular error corrected and the corrected score(s) will be reflected so the report show the wrong result and correct result.
4. The report of the result either in PDF or word document format will be encrypted or made to be in readonly format (already researching on this but if u still have idea, shoot it).
5. The student must pass all courses he/she registered in order to graduate else, show outstanding courses.

That's all for now. VB.NET is our language. Suggest the database to be used because it will keep receiving data as time goes on.

Those are the problems for now.
Lets share ideas.
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by Chimanet(m): 10:22am On Jun 09, 2012
simple excell file as backend should do
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 10:40am On Jun 09, 2012
Chimanet: simple excell file as backend should do

Thanks for your suggestion. Why do you think excell is ok for the back end? Remember that more and more students are going to be registered as admision is a continous process.
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by lordZOUGA(m): 11:05am On Jun 09, 2012
A good data structure is all you need
A score class
A course class
A student class
A database class
A print class

1 Like

Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 3:29pm On Jun 09, 2012
@LORD
those are good contributions. How do you make it such that when there is a correction, your report should include both the uncorrected result below the correct one so they can see the wrong score and the correct score.
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by Chimanet(m): 4:33pm On Jun 09, 2012
may be each result class should have a scores list containing all the previous scores for that result with the currect score as the first element of the list. so to display a result, you output the first index(o)and if the list still contains more scores use a for loop and output them one after the othe. jst hope my advice helps
u need a score class,result class, with a many to one relationship between them,
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by lordZOUGA(m): 6:53pm On Jun 09, 2012
VURN: @LORD
those are good contributions. How do you make it such that when there is a correction, your report should include both the uncorrected result below the correct one so they can see the wrong score and the correct score.
What you need is a data manager class. The manager class should have an edit method that makes a copy of the data given to him, change the value and returns both values
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 8:32pm On Jun 09, 2012
Could u drop d code please and how does it affect the database?
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by lordZOUGA(m): 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2012
VURN: Could u drop d code please and how does it affect the database?
I code in C++. Am jus trying to give you an ADT.
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by wassolldas: 12:27am On Jun 11, 2012
Generated a script for MySQL database. I don't want to learn VB.NET, but I can read up NHibernate if you need some help with the ORM creation.

http://pastebin.com/m1jYsXPz

Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by okeyxyz(m): 12:41am On Jun 11, 2012
do you know database data-modeling? design and build the database first & that'll solve most of your problems, the rest of it will be just input forms & output displays.
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 6:33am On Jul 03, 2012
Friends, am already progressing in the development but am using mysql database. So far, i have created the following؛‎
login page for exam officer and HOD of the department,
main menu,
module for entering courses,
module for selecting the courses being registered by a student, and with carry over courses under control.
Now working on the module for entering and computation/grading of scores.
I only work on it during week ends and thats why i cant finish it fast.
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by adewaleh(m): 6:12pm On Jul 03, 2012
I have the software... U need to creat different tables 4 ur db, => Course, coursecode, student name, registered course, admin, result
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 10:01am On Jul 04, 2012
What did u use in implementing it, @Adewaleh
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 10:06am On Jul 04, 2012
@Adewaleh
does your software meet all the requirements i stated in the first post? Which language and database did you use?
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by adewaleh(m): 5:18pm On Jul 04, 2012
I use vb.net and crystal report for displaying results and carry overs then the total unit, gpa, etc
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by adewaleh(m): 5:19pm On Jul 04, 2012
I use vb.net, msaccess and crystal report for displaying results and carry overs then the total unit, gpa, etc
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 7:34am On Jul 05, 2012
That is great. Does the application meet those requirements i stated? Doesn't it take care of CGPA?
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by adewaleh(m): 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2012
Yeah! It display cgpa result per department, and show C/O(s)..
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 6:11am On Jul 09, 2012
Ok, am concerned about the requirements i stated in my first post. U don't seem to get where am pointing at.
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 09, 2012
This is a good project I worked on but I use ASP.NET and MS SQL as back end. The first challenge was designing the db and normalizing such that it will be easy to code. The architecture I use was n-tier. The project is of two which has a section where students can check there result online and the administrative section where all the courses are regisiter and assigned to a department and level in which the department is assigned to a school/faculty/college.
NB: it is good to design it flexible such that in later future there will be provision for easy modification.

These are the example of forms I have:
1. Create Session (to know which session a student registered so that the menu for checking result will not show other sessions and result for each session can be easily processed )
2. Create faculty/school/college ( this is for further addition of new college bein created)
3. Create Department
4. Create Course (it will be attached to a department)
5. Assign course to level
6. Input student score for each semester.
7. Edit student scores( for CO student and general ) e.t.c
The report is tailored to suite any department or session.

And there are other features included such as access control, error log and udit trail, session closes, counting number of CO by a student in a particular course e.t.c
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by Murphy7h4: 2:28pm On Jul 09, 2012
Good point[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 7:20am On Jul 12, 2012
@ibrodex
A good job u (are doing or have done) but am working on offline desktop app for exam officers. I have thought of a similar project before but i was discouraged with some reasons coz before i starte developing any thing, i try to meet those in question to know if what am about bringing out will be accepted.
So, are u through with the job?
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 12, 2012
VURN: @ibrodex
A good job u (are doing or have done) but am working on offline desktop app for exam officers. I have thought of a similar project before but i was discouraged with some reasons coz before i starte developing any thing, i try to meet those in question to know if what am about bringing out will be accepted.
So, are u through with the job?

I have completed it(last year to be precise) based on the requirements I gathered. I'm thinking of adding additional thinks to it, like biometric which can later be used to detect fake student at a particular point in time.
But now I'm bussy on another project.
On the part of report that U̶̲̥̅̊ said should be in pdf, I just did a report download to either excel,word and pdf. If U̶̲̥̅̊ use crystal report U̶̲̥̅̊ will have an option to save the report in pdf.

What I did can be used on internet or intranet.
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 8:58am On Jul 31, 2012
Thanks guys for your various contributions. I have finished developing the CGPA management system as specified in the requirements but i dont know how to export my reports to PDF with password so the results can not be edited by anyone. I want it to be read only and can not be edited with any software such as adobe acrobat professional. Any help?
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by lordZOUGA(m): 10:00am On Jul 31, 2012
I thought PDFs are were read-only?
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by Javanian: 10:43am On Jul 31, 2012
lordZOUGA: I thought PDFs are were read-only?
PDF's can be converted to WORD documents
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by lordZOUGA(m): 11:01am On Jul 31, 2012
Javanian:
PDF's can be converted to WORD documents
I know that and it is not standard... Its more of a hack.
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by Javanian: 11:09am On Jul 31, 2012
lordZOUGA:
I know that and it is not standard... Its more of a hack.
That is what the op is trying to prevent...by the way i have done the XML stuff have you seen it?...
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by lordZOUGA(m): 11:27am On Jul 31, 2012
Javanian:
That is what the op is trying to prevent...by the way i have done the XML stuff have you seen it?...
But he said he wants to make a pdf document READ-ONLY.
I saw the XML stuff sir. [ma?]
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by Javanian: 11:32am On Jul 31, 2012
Yes...but i think what the op is trying to prevent is the PDF being edited...even with a hack...
Re: [Project] CGPA Mgt System VB.NET Project: Come In Let's Share Ideas On This by VURN(m): 7:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
Yeah, Javanian really understood me. I dont want it to be editable with any software. PDF could be converted to word, edited and converted back to PDF. It could also be edited with adobe professional or similar PDF editor. I want to prevent these. Thanks Javanian for ur understanding.

(1) (2) (Reply)

.NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves / Journey To Being A FULLSTACK Web Developer / Recommend A Laptop For Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.