Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,041 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help (3464 Views)

Unix Data Recovery From Crashed Hard Disk / Recover All Your Data From That Crashed Hard Drive: / How To Repair A Spoilt/crashed Hard Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by ojesymsym: 4:33pm On Nov 23, 2007
A colleague's laptop harddisk has crashed, wen connected to an enclosure, the harddisk makes some noise, suspect the r/w head touching the surface. the computer doesn't see the harddisk. pls wat can be done coz the hard disk has some vital info that have to be retrieved. Pls help.
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by phemygee(m): 4:53pm On Nov 23, 2007
Hey,
The only advice i could give you at the moment is to look for a working system. Get another IDE Cable, then slave the IDE you are suspecting that is crashed, make the working Harddisk the Master and the suspecting one Slave. After the working one loads into the windows environment, then Go to My computer, there you will find the second harddisk if is still functioning perfectly. From there, you can explore the hard disk if working.

Hope to read from you soon and to inform you on what next to do incase the hard disk is still working.

Phemygee

itz4mesays@yahoo.com
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by Ralvy(m): 7:59pm On Nov 23, 2007
phemygee:

After the working one loads into the windows environment, then Go to My computer, there you will find the second harddisk if is still functioning perfectly. From there, you can explore the hard disk if working.

He stated it clearly that the system's BIOS does not see the HDD,
& u fink Windows will, huh?

@Poster:
Sorry for what happened, I will advice you to get this bootable CD I have.
Inside it, there's a Hard DIsk Drive Regenerator that Might help!
Click here to read/download it.
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by kamara87: 9:37pm On Nov 24, 2007
Hi, try conneting u'r laptop hard drive to another to desktop computer and try to copy u'r information
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by naijafan(m): 5:46pm On Nov 25, 2007
kamara87:

Hi, try conneting u'r laptop hard drive to another to desktop computer and try to copy u'r information

that's what he tried to do, stupid!!!
Read well before you post next time. . . wink
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by Ralvy(m): 6:20pm On Nov 25, 2007
lol cheesy
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by bisifunke: 5:21pm On Nov 26, 2007
LoL grin I cant help but to continue laughing
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by dozymars(m): 7:18pm On Nov 26, 2007
The advice i have for u is
1. tap it with you hand a little if the doesnt work then
2. Freeze it in a refrigerator, sound funny but it works, i have tried it before but make show u wrap it well to avoid moisture from getting in the circuit board
this will make the harddisk function for a while, during this time u can backup ur information.
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by opensource(m): 11:53am On Nov 27, 2007
@phemygee thats exactly what should be done . Also there some Hard-disk recovering tools out there that you can use just search google
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by sawyerrken(m): 11:06am On Nov 28, 2007
yay! dood ur friend is grounded, as a last resort wrap tht hdd in one of those anti static wraps tht come with new hardware, and put the hdd in a freezer for about 30mins, get it out and quickly access it, u'll have just about enough time to get out a few files,

or/and

give the hdd a few taps (no slap am hard o, else u're OYO)

tht's all from me bro, and hey! the freezer thingy isn't a joke, if u doubt me, ask google
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by techkid: 1:34pm On Nov 28, 2007
if the data on your hard disk is that important you can take it to any decent repair center and you could have your data recovered
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by Ralvy(m): 4:13pm On Nov 28, 2007
techkid:

if the data on your hard disk is that important you can take it to any decent repair center and you could have your data recovered

like ma crib grin
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by dtwsola(m): 6:11pm On Nov 28, 2007
The way you described it sounds bad. Since you heard physical noises, it may possibly be a hardware problem, which you would need a skilled professional for. I know here in America that is damn expensive (can be thousands of dollars). First they charge you for evaluation, and then they charge you to actually recover the data. But in actuality most dead hard drives are caused by aparticular OS' software issues. So simply using another OS is a good thing to try . If you are using windows, you can try and find a computer running a Linux OS, or get a live cd, and mount the hard drive, and you would be able to see the the contents. And then just copy your data over to another hard disk or burn to cds. That has happened to me once before. Windows didn't recognize my laptop hard drive, but Ubuntu did. I was so relieved. Good luck!
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by lynxnoon(m): 8:21pm On Nov 28, 2007
@Ralvy,
Hw u dey?
I installed obuntu on an external drive n since den d drive is not recognized on a windows platform. Pls hw can i make d drive show on my win xp partition or maybe format external drive?
Thanx 4 ur help
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by sojioguns(m): 9:33pm On Nov 28, 2007
Hey!!!!!! DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE HARD DRIVE ANYMORE. Whenever a hard drive makes such sounds, it has physical problems (some parts are rubbing against each other). The only solution is to do a hardware recovery. There is this guy that does it for me. His name is Alfred and his number is: 01-7764253. He has done a couple of recovery for me and my colleagues and I am impressed because he saved my @$ss.
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by Ivvie: 10:16pm On Nov 28, 2007
Nothing is deleted off a hard-drive. Get a software recovery program and have it restored provided nothing is overwritten.
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by wham(m): 10:45pm On Nov 28, 2007
Try a Hard Disk Recovery Software: Connect the lappy hard disk to a desktop and try detect it using this SW.

I have actually performed a transplant on a laptop hard disk. This was my last option after Freezing and gentle knocks.

Had to change some stuff from another one of the same model/make into the crashed one which had bad R/W Head cause it was making ticking sounds (from the type of sound u can tell what type of mechanical wahala)

Its a delicate operation (RISKY). It worked for abt 7mins so I could get important data out.
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by MasterUwem(m): 8:54am On Nov 29, 2007
troubleshoot
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by Maleeq(m): 9:56am On Nov 29, 2007
MasterUwem:

troubleshoot

@All
Ol Boy! I dont know how to explain what happens, but freezing the Hard Disk drive DOES WORK!
For the fun of it, I placed a drive I marked as 'DEAD' in the refrigerator for about an hour, and then plugged it into my laptop. . .My system recognized the disk one time!

As a result, I now carry ice-blocks with me everywhere I go. grin As soon as my laptop's disk makes any funny move, I'll freeze it's a$$!!! grin
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by Albato(m): 10:15am On Nov 29, 2007
Maleeq:
As a result, I now carry ice-blocks with me everywhere I go. grin As soon as my laptop's disk makes any funny move, I'll freeze it's a$$!!! grin
grin grin
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by tinkerbery(f): 11:51am On Nov 29, 2007
grin grin i wonder how you carry these  ice blocks cool where man,in ur pockets or you download them from the web grin grin grin just wondering wink curiousity cool
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by BekinableG(m): 1:33pm On Nov 29, 2007
(Hey,
The only advice i could give you at the moment is to look for a working system. Get another IDE Cable, then slave the IDE you are suspecting that is crashed, make the working Harddisk the Master and the suspecting one Slave. After the working one loads into the windows environment, then Go to My computer, there you will find the second harddisk if is still functioning perfectly. From there, you can explore the hard disk if working.

try the above if it doesn't work no way is just to get another hard disk and then next time u stop ur stupid act of not backing up ur information (are crazy)?

why it is that nairalanders will come with a problem after given them advice they will not come back to inform us how they settle there case? why?
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by tinkerbery(f): 1:44pm On Nov 29, 2007
bekinable G you askED why?   cos you keep give them good advices, give them a bad one and you cant imagine the stinker posts you get grin grin just kidding
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by Maleeq(m): 3:17pm On Nov 29, 2007
tinkerbery:

grin grin i wonder how you carry these ice blocks cool where man,in your pockets or you download them from the web grin grin grin just wondering wink curiousity cool
Na 4 cooler o!
Pesin see me dis morning dey shout "Pure water!!!" angry Imagine rubbish! Upon all the suit and tie( cool) wey I wear!!!
Infact . . .
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by luridguy(m): 5:02pm On Nov 30, 2007
Maleeq:

@All
Ol Boy! I don't know how to explain what happens, but freezing the Hard Disk drive DOES WORK!
For the fun of it, I placed a drive I marked as 'DEAD' in the refrigerator for about an hour, and then plugged it into my laptop. . .My system recognized the disk one time!

statements like this are one of the many reasons i log on to niraland never a dull moment grin

i beg all let no one try to post any more solutions until the person with the probl;em comes to tell if the ones posted have been any help so people don't keep going on and on for all we know the disk may have started working and we are disturbing our selves wink
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by sojioguns(m): 5:51pm On Nov 30, 2007
@ poster, How is it going with your recovery? I hope you havent lost your data.
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by funloving(m): 7:57pm On Dec 03, 2007
So which of the hard disk crashed ? Is it the one between your legs, then kasala don burst.
You are in serious trouble. This will teach you to leave all those small, small girls for your area alone.

The solution: Go and meet Baba Gbogboeshe or Dr Staphylococus. They normally have this funny, tasting stuff which is one drink cures all.

Nice time watch your hard disk, ok grin
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by Maleeq(m): 9:36am On Dec 04, 2007
@funloving
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by jerrymania(m): 10:09pm On Dec 04, 2007
funloving:

So which of the hard disk crashed ? Is it the one between your legs, then kasala don burst.
You are in serious trouble. This will teach you to leave all those small, small girls for your area alone.

The solution: Go and meet Baba Gbogboeshe or Dr Staphylococus. They normally have this funny, tasting stuff which is one drink cures all.

Nice time watch your hard disk, ok grin

stupid and funny
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by sojioguns(m): 12:48am On Dec 05, 2007
Honestly guys, if i was the poster, I would be very upset at the way people took his problem for granted. He has a major problem and he is seeking help from "professionals" and all he gets is sick jokes. It isnt funny.
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 06, 2007
@poster, do not be discouraged. If you take it to an expert, there is this other option they use, they change the "pin" of the hard disk [and please dont ask me what pin is]. I have actually seen it work in computer village before.

I stay within trecking distance from computer village.
Re: Crashed Hard Disk O, Pls Help by ojesymsym: 10:54am On Dec 10, 2007
Nigeria could actually start a computer industry in d ranking of IBM, HP etc wit d amount of info coming from dis place. Anyway, i have been trying to download one of the recommendations made by some one, i want to try dat first b4 d freezer approach. I really appreciate all d contributions.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dell Latitude E7450. Intel Core I7, 256gb Ssd | 8gb Ram @ ₦140,000 / Hp Elitebook 8570p Core I5 In Good Condition / Autocad Training In Port-Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.