Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,908 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

The President's Asset Declaration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The President's Asset Declaration (1861 Views)

Most Politicians Guilty Of False Assets Declaration – Okunrounmu / False Asset Declaration: Nigerians Must Stand With Code Of Conduct Bureau / Buhari/Osinbajo Asset Declaration: Nigerians On Twitter React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The President's Asset Declaration by Dejiro(m): 12:18am On Jun 10, 2012
On 8th August 2007, Vice President Goodluck Jonathan said he was finally bowing to public pressures and dousing the tension generated by his non-public assets declaration. He then went ahead to declare an assets of N295,304,420. Earlier, 29th June, 2007 to be precise, late President Umaru Yar’Adua had made public his assets: N856,452,892 in cash and landed properties inclusive of N19,000,000 belonging to Turai his wife.

On Saturday 30th June 2007, Reuben Abati in an article “Yar’Adua’s Assets Declaration” wrote:
“The President's Assets Declaration Form indicates that he and his wife have fortunes, including assets and gifts in the region of N856 million plus N19 million. By Nigerian standards, a country where over 70 per cent of the population live on less than a dollar per day, the President is a very rich man indeed, and so the question needs to be asked and he still needs to clarify this: how did he acquire all that wealth? There are references in his declaration form to assets acquired through savings: how did he come about those savings? From his salaries as a college chemistry teacher? How did a former school teacher amass so much wealth? How much tax has he paid to the state? He was said to have declared his assets in 1999 when he assumed office as Governor of Katsina state. What was he worth then compared to what he has now declared in 2007, after eight years of being a state Governor?”

Today,
What is Reuben Abati now saying? We seem to have all settled down on corruption.
Goodluck Jonathan can’t feel any public pressures and he has again refused to declare his assets publicly.
Join us in asking Mr. President to please “douse the tension” on the public perception of his government as being exceptionally corrupt and make public his newly acquired assets.
For a copy of Dr.Goodluck Jonathan’s 2007 assets declaration check www.ohnigeria.com

Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 12:32am On Jun 10, 2012
Read the constitution before starting silly threads. This is just irritatingly stup!d.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Dejiro(m): 2:15am On Jun 10, 2012
Don't be irritated, you will notice I was appealing to Mr. president to do it for his government's sake. It really doesn't hurt that much to declare assets publicly. It rather hurts and irritates more to be corrupt or to be seen so, or what do you think?

2 Likes

Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 2:50am On Jun 10, 2012
In an ideal World, it would be a good thing, but Nigeria is not ideal. With the sort of extreme and dirty politics in Nigeria, the Presidents asset declaration is not for public consumption. As examples; we are only in 2012, yet people are already killing themselves over 2015 and if GEJ will run or not, even more horrifying is the way political opponents where very quick to start off horrible lies and rumours about "VIP movement" when the Dana aircrash occurred.

Nigeria is a primitive place politically, so there is no need for anyone to offer their civility up to be used as a football.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Dejiro(m): 8:36am On Jun 10, 2012
I agree with you on how wicked our people can be, the Dana "VIP movement" issue was a wicked political move by whoever started it. Back to the main topic, how do you think Mr President can start an anti-corruption war. He doesn't seem to be doing much in this direction or is Nigeria really ungovernable like I have read of recent?
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Mesico2(m): 11:53am On Jun 10, 2012
Hmmmm Beaf the don.I keep learning everyday from ur tricks in answering and responding.....am new here so am still taking my time to see how things work with sycophants around.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Kobojunkie: 12:25pm On Jun 10, 2012
The Nigerian constitution requires that the President declares his assets. The Constitution is not only to be obeyed when people deem it 'IDEAL' to do so. Jonathan's refusal opposes the Nigerian Constitution which he is sworn to uphold.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Crownvilla(m): 2:14pm On Jun 10, 2012
@ Kobo,

The constitution requires the President to declare his assets and he (GEJ) has complied with this requirement.

What Yar'adua did was to declare his assets publicly which is NOT a requirement of the constitution. In effect, Yardie went over and beyond the constitutional requirement; Jonathan later followed suit after much pressure from the press and civil society groups etc........that was way back in 2007.

Of course, now that he is running the show, GEJ has reverted back to type by completing/submitting his assets declaration form to the relevant bureau and doing no more.

I remember telling my Dad, Uncle and a few others before the election that GEJ would be a complete failure as Nigerian President. My opinion hasn't changed and although I don't support his decison NOT [/b]to declare his assets [b]publicly, he hasn't broken any law.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 2:20pm On Jun 10, 2012
Crownvilla: @ Kobo,

The constitution requires the President to declare his assets and he (GEJ) has complied with this requirement.

What Yar'adua did was to declare his assets publicly which is NOT a requirement of the constitution. In effect, Yardie went over and beyond the constitutional requirement; Jonathan later followed suit after much pressure from the press and civil society groups etc........that was way back in 2007.

Of course, now that he is running the show, GEJ has reverted back to type by completing/submitting his assets declaration form to the relevant bureau and doing no more.

I remember telling my Dad, Uncle and a few others before the election that GEJ would be a complete failure as Nigerian President. My opinion hasn't changed and although I don't support his decison NOT to declare his assets publicly, he hasn't broken any law.

The bit in red says it all.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2012
Mesico2: Hmmmm Beaf the don.I keep learning everyday from ur tricks in answering and responding.....am new here so am still taking my time to see how things work with sycophants around.

Permit me to call you a fool. Thanks.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 2:37pm On Jun 10, 2012
Dejiro: I agree with you on how wicked our people can be, the Dana "VIP movement" issue was a wicked political move by whoever started it. Back to the main topic, how do you think Mr President can start an anti-corruption war. He doesn't seem to be doing much in this direction or is Nigeria really ungovernable like I have read of recent?

I don't see what a public asset declaration will do for the anti-corruption battle in Nigeria. Yar Adua declared his assets publicly, but that did not stop Turai from taking a cut from every oil shipment out of the country, neither did it stop the cabal from owning all of us.

The only way to fight corruption is to completely overturn the system. It is the system Nigeria runs that breeds and promotes corruption, not some cheap personal attacks about public asset declaration.
Until we decide to rise up and tear the current system down, we are only expending energy and adding to the chaos that is a ready weapon for the corrupt.

Many of us only seem to think that the President is the only elected official that can serve us. We conveniently forget that our governors and LG bosses actually have functions to provide jobs, wealth, health and development at the grassroots. You will notice instead, that because of the system, your governor and LG boss are accountable to Abuja only and do not give a damn about their electorate. Afterall money flows from Abuja, because the tiers of state and LG govt are mentally and creatively moribund; our abysmally ignorant people accept that as the way of life. Will officials in other tiers of govt publicly declare their assets because the President has done so? Will they suddenly become less corrupt, accountable to the people and develop their areas, because the President has publicly declared his assets? Or do we rather need a system that is accountable to the people?

In the US and UK you can visit your rep and tell them your troubles. In Nigeria, how many of us even know our reps? Even when we know them, can we even risk attempting to go over to see them without ending up victims of stray bullets? The system is the problem with Nigeria and every other thing is a diversion that makes matters worse.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by nateevs(m): 3:03pm On Jun 10, 2012
Beaf:

I don't see what a public asset declaration will do for the anti-corruption battle in Nigeria.

Then you need to look more.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Kobojunkie: 3:46pm On Jun 10, 2012
Crownvilla: @ Kobo,
I remember telling my Dad, Uncle and a few others before the election that GEJ would be a complete failure as Nigerian President. My opinion hasn't changed and although I don't support his decison NOT [/b]to declare his assets [b]publicly, he hasn't broken any law.

Is the Constitution not the law of the land? If the President refuses to obey the very law he is bound by, isn't that an ILLEGAL act?

Jonathan actions is in violation of the constitution, and this is something every Nigerian ought to be concerned about. The president has not declared his assets at all. Whether you want that information made public or not is NOT the issue here. He has not declared his asset AS REQUIRED BY THE CONSTITUTION. That is NOT LEGAL, no matter how you try to spin it.

On making the information public, FOI allows Nigerians to request that information, so whether he declares it publicly in the papers or not, again, is not the issue.
The issue here is that the President of the country is in violation of the constitution as even after a year of his swearing in, he has yet to declare his asset. Note: the Constitution REQUIRED this be done BEFORE he was sworn in, not after.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 3:51pm On Jun 10, 2012
People just talk bullshiit. What chapter and paragraph?
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Kobojunkie: 3:56pm On Jun 10, 2012
This is what your constitution says .. .

140. (1) A person elected to the office of President shall not begin to perform the functions of that office until he has declared his assets and liabilities as prescribed in this Constitution and he has taken and subscribed the Oath of Allegiance and the oath of office prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution.

(2) The oaths aforesaid shall be administered by the Chief Justice of Nigeria or the person for the time being appointed to exercise the functions of that office.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Has Goodluck Jonathan declared his assets, even in secret? NO! What does that mean? It means he is in breach of the Constitution.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 10, 2012
Beaf: In an ideal World, it would be a good thing, but Nigeria is not ideal. With the sort of extreme and dirty politics in Nigeria, the Presidents asset declaration is not for public consumption. As examples; we are only in 2012, yet people are already killing themselves over 2015 and if GEJ will run or not, even more horrifying is the way political opponents where very quick to start off horrible lies and rumours about "VIP movement" when the Dana aircrash occurred.

Nigeria is a primitive place politically, so there is no need for anyone to offer their civility up to be used as a football.

Look at the bolded, now imagine me telling you to your face that : "YOU MUST BE CRAZY FOR THAT STU*PID STATEMENT!!!". People are killing themselves over 2015?! Oya, answer the SAT Question below:

1. Immediately upon assuming office as President of Nigeria, what was Dr.Goodluck Jonathan's first bill to be proposed to the National Assembly:

a. A recommendation for Regional Rule

b. A radical solution to Nigeria's high unemployment rate

c. A wuru wuru way of trying to stay an extra 7+4 yrs even though he'd only tasted power for 3 weeks

d. Answer definitely is C

Oya, answer you dumb I'm*becile always thinking everyone is dense in the head like your useless boss

1 Like

Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Lisa1: 7:57pm On Jun 10, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Mesico2: Hmmmm Beaf the don.I keep learning everyday from ur tricks in answering and responding.....am new here so am still taking my time to see how things work with sycophants around.
Thanks for your post.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Dejiro(m): 8:58pm On Jun 10, 2012
Obasanjo and Yar'adua were never really serious with their anti-corruption campaign. I am sure everybody will agree to this. Is GEJ interested in fighting corruption at all? The news that is being unsuccessfully covered is that Nigeria is broke and has been borrowing heavily to finance the government. So basically GEJ is borrowing from our future not to finance our present, but to satisfy his insatiable cronies. Somebody suggested we need to tear this system down and re-build from the scratch. Is this advise against 2015?
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 9:17pm On Jun 10, 2012
@kingoflag

Why do you always come across like you are on drugs? You are always foulmouthed and never make sense.
Its very sad for an adult to be that way.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 9:30pm On Jun 10, 2012
Dejiro: Obasanjo and Yar'adua were never really serious with their anti-corruption campaign. I am sure everybody will agree to this. Is GEJ interested in fighting corruption at all? The news that is being unsuccessfully covered is that Nigeria is broke and has been borrowing heavily to finance the government. So basically GEJ is borrowing from our future not to finance our present, but to satisfy his insatiable cronies. Somebody suggested we need to tear this system down and re-build from the scratch. Is this advise against 2015?

The system breeds corruption. Until it is uprooted, we will continue running around aimlessly and expending energy at shadows.
It is for the people to understand that no country can succeed with our political architecture and decide they've had enough of it.

As long as our current constitution is in force, even Jesus Christ as President would have to play by the law. Its as simple as that.
A faulty structure will always spring leaks, no matter how many bandages you apply. If people could hit the streets for the completly selfish reason to keep the fuel subsidy, despite the corruption it engendered; why can they not come out and demonstrate for true federtalism?

The fruits of true federalism are; accountability and true representation of the citizen at all govt levels, reward for enterprise and healthy inter-region competition, an equitable contract citizen-state contract and the end of our anti-development free oil money awuf culture.
Until we uproot the system, tear up the freaking constitution to get these things in the door, any calls to end corruption would amount to repairing a collapsing bridge with bandages; mere barking in the wind.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On Jun 10, 2012
Dejiro: Obasanjo and Yar'adua were never really serious with their anti-corruption campaign. I am sure everybody will agree to this. Is GEJ interested in fighting corruption at all? The news that is being unsuccessfully covered is that Nigeria is broke and has been borrowing heavily to finance the government. So basically GEJ is borrowing from our future not to finance our present, but to satisfy his insatiable cronies. Somebody suggested we need to tear this system down and re-build from the scratch. Is this advise against 2015?

Why are you de-railing your own thread? What has Nigeria's debt,tearing down of the system etc. to do with the topic you created?

This is how you folks loose arguments here. Why not focus on debating one and only one point. If there is need for another topic, create an entirely different thread for that.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Mesico2(m): 12:05am On Jun 11, 2012
@Beaf, am so sure that even u urself doesn't understand how God made u this irritating. I talk my own but u called me a fool simply because I didn't think what u think. E dey ur body o.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 1:45am On Jun 11, 2012
Mesico2: @Beaf, am so sure that even u urself doesn't understand how God made u this irritating. I talk my own but u called me a fool simply because I didn't think what u think. E dey ur body o.

My brother, you insulted me first. So, I turned round, hit you in the gonads and popped out your right eye.
Don't insult me next time, so that you don't come back weeping. The more intelligent thing to do is face the topic.

Fool.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Nobody: 5:10am On Jun 11, 2012
Beaf: @kingoflag

Why do you always come across like you are on drugs? You are always foulmouthed and never make sense.
Its very sad for an adult to be that way.
haha the rabid pretentious beast has suddenly stopped foaming at the mouth, what happened? GEJ gave you another raise in blood money again? Oh, I'm foulmouthed eh? Well, I implore everyone to go through our old posts....
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 6:01am On Jun 11, 2012
kingoflag: haha the rabid pretentious beast has suddenly stopped foaming at the mouth, what happened? GEJ gave you another raise in blood money again? Oh, I'm foulmouthed eh? Well, I implore everyone to go through our old posts....

I'm sure this sort of stup!dity makes sense only to your type, but to others it only casts you as attention seeking, primitive and unintelligent.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Nobody: 6:09am On Jun 11, 2012
Beaf:

I'm sure this sort of stup!dity makes sense only to your type, but to others it only casts you as attention seeking, primitive and unintelligent.
Oh yeah? Oya, let's put up a thread and ask people what they think of you and what they'd do to u were they to encounter you alone in a dark alley.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Beaf: 6:22am On Jun 11, 2012
kingoflag: Oh yeah? Oya, let's put up a thread and ask people what they think of you and what they'd do to u were they to encounter you alone in a dark alley.

That has been done numerous times, and the result has always shocked gutter creatures like you. But people like you cannot see themselves in the mirror, which is a great pity, because you would recoil in horror and die of a heart attack.
You claimed not to have spent more than two weeks of your life in Nigeria, yet you are comfortable in the company of slimeballs and degenerates; if you are not the son of of an oil block owning member of the core-Northern elite, then you must be the biggest fool that ever existed. On the other hand, if you are, then your gutter behaviour is expected.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by VoodooDoll(m): 6:37am On Jun 11, 2012
GEJ is too much of a big thief and a dense blockhead, his day of reckoning is coming and it would be best if his sycophants and hanger ons are close by when that day comes so they can drink of the cup.
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by jamace(m): 10:28am On Jun 11, 2012
VoodooDoll: GEJ is too much of a big thief and a dense blockhead, his day of reckoning is coming and it would be best if his sycophants and hanger ons are close by when that day comes so they can drink of the cup.

Word on marble. cool
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by BetaThings: 10:50am On Jun 11, 2012
Jonathan declared his assets in 2007
Then went ahead to make it public
I am not aware that he suffered any harm on account of that
So why can he not make it public again?
He promised us "fresh air"
He should be refreshingly different and not wait for the "ideal" world to come about
Who will bring the ideal world to us if not a commander-in-chief who has a "transformation" agenda
Re: The President's Asset Declaration by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 11, 2012
Beaf:

That has been done numerous times, and the result has always shocked gutter creatures like you. But people like you cannot see themselves in the mirror, which is a great pity, because you would recoil in horror and die of a heart attack.
You claimed not to have spent more than two weeks of your life in Nigeria, yet you are comfortable in the company of slimeballs and degenerates; if you are not the son of of an oil block owning member of the core-Northern elite, then you must be the biggest fool that ever existed. On the other hand, if you are, then your gutter behaviour is expected.
lies do not get u anywhere, Bemigho, relax. When did I tell U I never spent more than 2 weeks of my life in Nigeria, ehn, Reno? Is that what I said or did I say when I visit I flee once the 14day mark is up? Can't you comprehend or is this a PeeHayshDee situation like your oga and his Zoology degree?

(1) (Reply)

A Suggestion/Proposal To Nairalanders. / Acronyms For 9ja Leaders! / Gov Uduaghan Inspects Ongoing Work@delta City Mall (shoprite)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.