Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,147 members, 7,818,447 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees (10976 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / How Sura Shopping Plaza Shop Owners Fill Their Water Tanks. (photos) / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by ypzilanti: 1:30pm On Jun 11, 2012
Shop owners in the newly opened Ikeja city mall closed temporarily today to protest the imposition of parking fees on visitors to the mall. I was there this morning and most of the shops were shut down and had signs on the doors aying the were protesting extortion by the ikeja city mall operators. I spoke with some shop owners who said that the new fees would affect thier business adversely and was not part of the agreement with the mall operators. This is contrary to the business model of a shopping mall which depends on free moving customers leasurely shopping for goods after wandering and windowshopping. The fees this morning was N200 an hour, which means you have to shop in a hurry and depart from the mall before you attarct additional fees.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by 0K2NV: 1:48pm On Jun 11, 2012
ypzilanti: Shop owners in the newly opened Ikeja city mall closed temporarily today to protest the imposition of parking fees on visitors to the mall. I was there this morning and most of the shops were shut down and had signs on the doors aying the were protesting extortion by the ikeja city mall operators. I spoke with some shop owners who said that the new fees would affect thier business adversely and was not part of the agreement with the mall operators. This is contrary to the business model of a shopping mall which depends on free moving customers leasurely shopping for goods after wandering and windowshopping. The fees this morning was N200 an hour, which means you have to shop in a hurry and depart from the mall before you attarct additional fees.

1 Like

Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 11, 2012
^ hahahahaha cheesy
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by ASOROCKb(m): 2:50pm On Jun 11, 2012
Naija
BoboYekini: hahahahaha cheesy
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by feelamong(m): 3:10pm On Jun 11, 2012
Second Base jare!!! sebi na naija we dey! grin
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jun 11, 2012
I was there yesterday to buy few things with my wife...we were very shocked to learn about parking fee in the mall...commencing today Monday 11th June 2012. She was very furious about the idea. I dont think I've ever seen such a thing before.

We just love this extreme form of capitalism in Nigeria....more like cannibalistic capitalism.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Pukkah: 3:35pm On Jun 11, 2012
It will definitely affect sales in the shops there. Worse still, it appears like the shop owners were not aware before moving. If this is true, it is definitely unfair.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by daywatcher: 3:41pm On Jun 11, 2012
ilugunboy: I was there yesterday to buy few things with my wife...we were very shocked to learn about parking fee in the mall...commencing today Monday 11th June 2012. She was very furious about the idea. I dont think I've ever seen such a thing before.

We just love this extreme form of capitalism in Nigeria....more like cannibalistic capitalism.

it is just that those that are supposed to protect consumers do not know what it is they are supposed to be doing; also they can be bribed with pennies
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by kiss2Tell: 3:44pm On Jun 11, 2012
Only in Nigeria will a shopping mall charge shoppers for parking fees. But I doubt if anything can be done about it. Mega Plaza started is several years ago. It is the same thing with Shoprite at surulere (with some flexibility though). If you check very well, you will find out that some high ranking government official is involved either as the direct beneficiary of the proceeds or as the one that promised them of government support to go ahead with the cruel plan.

God dey.

1 Like

Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by doctokwus: 3:47pm On Jun 11, 2012
Don't understand;is it d N200 parking fee dey are protesting about or customers paying parking fees @all.Always paid @Adeniran shopping mall(aka Shoprite) whc I did find exploitative & odd but wen nobody seemed to av lodged any complaint,decided to b paying.To me,if @all u av to pay for parking,it shd b a token of N50 for maintenance purposes not d N100 @Adeniran,talkless of N200

1 Like

Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by naylove(m): 3:50pm On Jun 11, 2012
naija we hail thee. so the operators of the mall just want to collect rent,pocket it and not provide anything and still charge people to park their vehicles. greed of the highest order.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by StarrMatthieu: 3:56pm On Jun 11, 2012
look good
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by fesse(f): 3:59pm On Jun 11, 2012
0K2NV:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by yuzedo: 4:06pm On Jun 11, 2012
Was at Surulere's "shopping centre" (doesn't qualify as a Mall) for the first time on saturday. Not only is the narrow street just awful to allow free vehicular movt, the stupid carpark charged me N100 I was totally caught unaware. Not to mention the fact that I scratched my car trying to manoeuvre out of the rubbish park!
Proceeded to The Palms & adequate parking space + no charges just made me angrier and vow never to go back to Ogusanya.
Today I unfortunately had to see someone at the same Surulere shopping complex & parked in eagles club carpark only to be be accosted with a N200 bill! shocked I no gree pay o! grin
My firm is currently building malls in naija & I'd find it absurd if my boss talked about maximizing profit through the exploitation of car owners. I mean, that's enuf to kill ur Mall sef! Cos nobody wanno pay for parking. U shud even attract peepo any way u can cos u can't survive on only the tenancy of the anchor shops. (Shoprite, Game, Spar, etc)a
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 11, 2012
This is outrageous. How does it work? For those of us that hang out at the Bheerhugz lounge at the mall (particularly in the evenings), does it mean we would also have to pay parking fees? I know I stay there for up to 3 - 4 hours sometimes. Surely this idea is idiotic. Next thing they'll start clamping cars that park outside the mall.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by StarrMatthieu: 4:11pm On Jun 11, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]It is amazing!
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Novice1(m): 4:12pm On Jun 11, 2012
next they will start to charge you for using the John inside the mall.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by jason123: 4:14pm On Jun 11, 2012
0K2NV:

LOL! grin grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Iranoladun(f): 4:14pm On Jun 11, 2012
I sympathise with the shop owners and shoppers especially if they are not inform or it is not part of the deal.
However, looking at how central the mall is to the Ikeja/Alausa business units the State Government (or whoever is the owner of the mall ) could still charge a token for parking with some flexibility .

For example, 1st 1 hour could be free while additional hours could be from N50. This will be better than their current N200/hour. Surulere Parking lot for Shoprite it is N100 per hour.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 11, 2012
Hahahahaha
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by 0K2NV: 4:19pm On Jun 11, 2012
ypzilanti: Shop owners in the newly opened Ikeja city mall closed temporarily today to protest the imposition of parking fees on visitors to the mall. I was there this morning and most of the shops were shut down and had signs on the doors aying the were protesting extortion by the ikeja city mall operators. I spoke with some shop owners who said that the new fees would affect thier business adversely and was not part of the agreement with the mall operators. This is contrary to the business model of a shopping mall which depends on free moving customers leasurely shopping for goods after wandering and windowshopping. The fees this morning was N200 an hour, which means you have to shop in a hurry and depart from the mall before you attarct additional fees.

Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Baawaa(m): 4:22pm On Jun 11, 2012
Imaging who want to buy #260 bread,he queue for 1hour and he will pay #200 for parking.Naija my country grin grin

1 Like

Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by philip0906(m): 4:27pm On Jun 11, 2012
Baawaa: Imaging who want to buy #260 bread,he queue for 1hour and he will pay #200 for parking.Naija my country grin grin
ol boy na 2 dey leg am noni grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by denny4ril: 4:28pm On Jun 11, 2012
200 naira per hour? Dat is 2 much now........... Even an airport charges 100naira for as long as u stay but u only pay extra if u stay or park overnight. Na wa 4 policy makers oooooo
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Pukkah: 4:29pm On Jun 11, 2012
Baawaa: Imaging who want to buy #260 bread,he queue for 1hour and he will pay #200 for parking.Naija my country grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin You're just a funny guy!
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by 0K2NV: 4:44pm On Jun 11, 2012
[size=30pt]MUST YOU PROTEST OVER EVERYTHING

IS IKEJA CITY MALL THE ONLY VENDOR IN LAGOS?

A SIMPLE BOYCOUT WILL SOLVE THIS RATHER THAN PROTESTING.[/size]

Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by zxtos: 4:51pm On Jun 11, 2012
Have a feeling the same goon behind the Tolls of LCCN Lekki is also involved. learnt he's behind the Ikeja shoprite project too.Hope something is done to check these excesses.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by zxtos: 4:53pm On Jun 11, 2012
Lets Boycott jor....... angry angry angry. Abi?
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by tEsLim(m): 4:56pm On Jun 11, 2012
I think its normal to pay parking fees at malls. I have paid in South Africa and Brazil. And its per hour though automated most of the time. They might have noticed that people are abusing the parking space in Ikeja. In SA I've been to places where first 15minutes are free afterwards you pay. Thats for people that just came to pick up something in a rush. You pay to machine that accepts cash. Brazil you pay manual and go through with a barcoded card.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by blank(f): 4:57pm On Jun 11, 2012
That is why I only shop/watch movies at The Palms not even Silverbird. Pay for parking, nigga please.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 11, 2012
Am sure this is mainly targeted at people that comes to both Alausa Secretariat and the adjoining axis to conduct business that finds the Mall car park as convenient free parking space (free from the marauding LASTMA boys)....however if at all that is the case..the fee should be restricted to week days only..leaving out weekend when its mostly shoppers that are likely to be parking there.

0-45 minutes at #0 ..45mins- 1Hr at #200 is prohibitive...while graduating on hourly basis

Meanwhile the patrons of Beerhugz will mostly be affected with this graduating bands fee model.
Re: Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees by LordReed(m): 5:12pm On Jun 11, 2012
kiss2Tell: Only in Nigeria will a shopping mall charge shoppers for parking fees. But I doubt if anything can be done about it. Mega Plaza started is several years ago. It is the same thing with Shoprite at surulere (with some flexibility though). If you check very well, you will find out that some high ranking government official is involved either as the direct beneficiary of the proceeds or as the one that promised them of government support to go ahead with the cruel plan.

God dey.

Abeg shut up there! You that have never even been to Ghana what do you know?

Complain about the extortion not about things you know jackshit about.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Give Reasons Why Sowore Should Be President / Northern Elders To Elite: Rescue Nigeria From Failed Leaders / Buhari Sets Up Health Reform Committee, Appoints Osinbajo As Chairman (See List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.