Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,119 members, 7,835,766 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? (20857 Views)

Emmanuel Emenike Shows Off Tattoo He Got In Honour Of His Late Father / Mikel Obi Deletes Twitter Account After Racial Abuse / Top Football Players To Honour Kanu Nwankwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by mikuz(m): 11:07pm On Jun 11, 2012
soe: Guyz...reason...d national assembly has d right to honour nigerians who have made us proud...mikel has shown dat we r a good people great nation...he deserved d honour...ask urself..what hav u.uu..uuu don for ur fatherland......rather than sit down here to envy a successful yung man
and they also have the right to ask for the increment of mikels' salary from 80k to 120k dont they?
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by jarem(m): 11:10pm On Jun 11, 2012
Jesus wept!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by godello: 11:20pm On Jun 11, 2012
Short of words!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by greatlee(m): 11:23pm On Jun 11, 2012
Niaja i hail thee!! grin grin grin
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by ayorins(m): 11:42pm On Jun 11, 2012
mr_man: Instead of them to fix our own league, they are there honouring someone that won in another man's league. . . Na wa oo, infact na very big wa oo.
dem no win cup for our country, una dey honour him bcoz of anoda country's league. Oga o
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by ibukunobi: 11:44pm On Jun 11, 2012
I am exceedigly glad thatMikel will continue to shame all his manu and arsenal enemies on this post. Most of these people complaining are enemies of progress. Envy has frustrated their lives. By God's power this young innocent boy will continue to prosper. Ask these BASTARD anti MIKEL what they have done for this country other than kidnapping and yahoo yahoo. Enemies of progress. Am sure they will not be able to sleep when this guy won that cup that the so called selfish jj okocha could not win. Let me tell u. Mikel still has 8 active years to play good footbal. Thank GOd he is not part of your national teal failure at the world cup and under keshi despite the fact that you ingrate failed to see his impact when he qualifies u for d last world cup.these set of nigerians are frustrated anti progress who kept complaining everytime as if they are better. To hell with u anti mikel.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by stagger: 11:54pm On Jun 11, 2012
The first goalkeeper of the Red Devils (the old name of the National Team) who was the no.1 for 8 years, having played with the likes of Albert Onyeawuna, Onyeador, Onyeali, Teslim Balogun and co, is living in abject poverty in his village.

He is the only surviving member of that team which played a match with Egypt to commemorate our independence before Queen Elizabeth. That queen has just been honoured for being on the throne for 60 years. We forget our heroes, and honour players who choose to play for Nigeria when they like and if they like.

Misplaced priorities, but what do we expect of people who only set up probe committees so as to ask for bribes in US dollars?
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by BizBooks(m): 12:32am On Jun 12, 2012
ibukun obi: I am exceedigly glad thatMikel will continue to shame all his manu and arsenal enemies on this post.

It has become quite clear that most of these people complaining are Arsenal and Man U fans.
I find it quite difficult to understand why Nigerians will be fanatically supporting a team
like Arsenal that has not signed a Nigerian player in almost 10 years. Wenger had the
opportunity of signing Osaze last year, instead he decided to price him like a used car.
Ferguson on the other hand refuses to sign African players (not to talk of Nigerian
players) because he does not want to lose them during the Cup of Nations.

Despite all these insults from Arsenal and Man U, you still support them without
reservation. But when it comes to Chelsea that currently has two Nigerians in important
positions, you complain. In case you have forgotten, apart from Mikel Obi, another
Nigerian - Mike Emenalo, holds a top management position at Chelsea.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by 401kk: 1:08am On Jun 12, 2012
Not a bad idea.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Delafruita(m): 2:05am On Jun 12, 2012
BizBooks:

I usually ignore people like you that take pride in insulting others. But I will make an
exception this time. Mikel Obi has won the EPL and FA cup with Chelsea multiple times in
the past. On none of those occasions was he honoured by an arm of the NASS as far as I can
remember. So you are completely out of line in comparing the Champions League trophy with
some league trophy in France or Turkey.

With the volumes you wrote, you still did not explain what the duties of the Sports
Committee of NASS should be. If honouring a deserving athlete is not part of it, I
will like you to tell us what they are.
so in your warped opinion,the only duty of the committee on SPORTS(not only soccer) is to honour a person that participates in a team event in a competition in europe for which his country has absolutely no affiliation?going by your notion,the only duty of the committees should be doling out awards.why dont they concentrate more on developing sports like gymnastics,swimming,ssoftball,squash etc?their duty is to supervise sports administration via the performance of their oversight functions.the running of football and recognition of individuals rests solely with the federation in charge of that particular sport in this case the NFA.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Grandmisty: 2:09am On Jun 12, 2012
See level of thinking of our so called leaders NIGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA u are not cursed
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Delafruita(m): 2:12am On Jun 12, 2012
BizBooks:

I usually ignore people like you that take pride in insulting others. But I will make an
exception this time. Mikel Obi has won the EPL and FA cup with Chelsea multiple times in
the past. On none of those occasions was he honoured by an arm of the NASS as far as I can
remember. So you are completely out of line in comparing the Champions League trophy with
some league trophy in France or Turkey.

With the volumes you wrote, you still did not explain what the duties of the Sports
Committee of NASS should be. If honouring a deserving athlete is not part of it, I
will like you to tell us what they are.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Delafruita(m): 2:19am On Jun 12, 2012
BizBooks:

It has become quite clear that most of these people complaining are Arsenal and Man U fans.
I find it quite difficult to understand why Nigerians will be fanatically supporting a team
like Arsenal that has not signed a Nigerian player in almost 10 years. Wenger had the
opportunity of signing Osaze last year, instead he decided to price him like a used car.
Ferguson on the other hand refuses to sign African players (not to talk of Nigerian
players) because he does not want to lose them during the Cup of Nations.

Despite all these insults from Arsenal and Man U, you still support them without
reservation. But when it comes to Chelsea that currently has two Nigerians in important
positions, you complain. In case you have forgotten, apart from Mikel Obi, another
Nigerian - Mike Emenalo, holds a top management position at Chelsea.
dude,you're seriously lost.does chelsea buy players because they are nigerians?chelsea buys players because they have what they need.if you werent such an ediot,you'd realise that arsenal took a big risk by buying kanu despite his health problems.they built him into the player we al came to admire.what am amazed at is how you can defend this stup.idity from the NASS.shows how "wise" you are
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Nobody: 2:42am On Jun 12, 2012
You can't blame the NASS com'tt on sports 4 running out of ideas as to what next 2do...they are all conglomerate of ineptitude,helpless and clueless morons. Nonsense!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by BizBooks(m): 3:00am On Jun 12, 2012
Delafruita:
dude,you're seriously lost.does chelsea buy players because they are nigerians?chelsea buys players because they have what they need.if you werent such an ediot,you'd realise that arsenal took a big risk by buying kanu despite his health problems.they built him into the player we al came to admire.what am amazed at is how you can defend this stup.idity from the NASS.shows how "wise" you are

It will be very difficult to engage in a sensible discussion with you if you keep hauling
insults around. Arsenal signed Kanu in 1999 and released him in 2004. If you had calmly
read my post, you will see where I said "a team like Arsenal that has not signed a
Nigerian player in almost 10 years
". If you want to be precise, that's 8 years.

It is true that teams do not buy players based on nationality. But if you understand the
politics of international sports, you will know that teams sometimes go out of their way
to buy players from countries where they have large fan base. It makes business sense
because it exponentially increases the revenue they generate from such countries from the
sale of jerseys, TV royalties and advertizement.

Considering the level of support Arsenal enjoys in Nigeria, it will not be out of place to
expect them to sign a Nigerian player. If you notice, they are coming to Nigeria this
summer on a playing tour. Why? Because they have a very large following here. Let's hope
Wenger "discovers" at least one local talent during that tour. It will only serve to
increase their level of popularity and profitability.

If you have something to say, just say it. You don't have to insult another person in the
process. Cyber fights went out of fashion many years ago.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by femmy2010(m): 4:03am On Jun 12, 2012
O Nigeria,u never cease to surprise me.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by fuke(m): 4:27am On Jun 12, 2012
Jobless and clueless
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by ofala(m): 6:05am On Jun 12, 2012
While I was quite happy for the African lads that made it with Chelsea, including Mikel, but what business has our Nat Ass with 'honoring' whoever that won a league cup? Where is Nigerian League and how serious are the National teams? How jobless can these guys at the NASS be most times?
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Zobbyjazzy(m): 6:31am On Jun 12, 2012
Haahaa...see dz pple o! Na money dem wan borow 4rm d guy ooo....we wil al see na,afta d party next na plz boro us mney to raise foundation. Jst like fashola wan do martins. Useless pple dem.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by femooo: 7:19am On Jun 12, 2012
priority misplaced! No law and regulation to improve our league. Shame on you all!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by fortyfeet(m): 7:26am On Jun 12, 2012
@torres2@udhedhe
the country's problem is not any mikel's making. you may not like the idea, personal, but do not attack mikel. as for me, give honour to whom it is due no matter the situation.
@torres
you may as well be a sceptic blues fan, but certainly not mikel's.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by livingstoneony(m): 7:41am On Jun 12, 2012
Naija# r we sure we will eva grow up?!.... Wat we need in this country is a revolution #fucking serious KILL ALl DIS SELF-CENTRED DIM WITTS!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by DemaN2(m): 8:18am On Jun 12, 2012
i cant undastand dis9ja, where is d relationship,wuz d trouphy 4 super chicken or .......
ikeyman00: @@@@@@@@

shocked shocked shocked shocked

what a country shocked
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by purplekayc(m): 8:28am On Jun 12, 2012
ikeyman00: @@@@@@@@

shocked shocked shocked shocked

what a country shocked
This people can do practically any nonsense they want...
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by crackhouse(m): 8:28am On Jun 12, 2012
BizBooks:

So what do you want the Committee on Sports to be doing? By their very composition, they
are only concerned with Sports matters. If that is too trivial at this time, perhaps we
should be calling for a dissolution of that committee instead of heaping blames on them
for performing functions that fall within their purview.
kai, i can't believe some people are in support of this. Assuming Nigeria super eagles went for olympics and won, then it will be understandable to see them honour Mikel if he happen to be among the team. But this case is completely different. When do sb winning a trophy for other club in another country become a call for celebration in Nigeria government?. It's better to tell us that his friends are honouring him because of the trophy he won for chelsea than to say that our govt is honouring him or don't u know that Nass is part of Nigeria govt and whatever they did can be said to be done by our govt?. I think u really need ur brains in perfect condition for saying this.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by seyibobo(m): 8:31am On Jun 12, 2012
Wtf....Jobless fellow!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by mrmofasa(m): 8:33am On Jun 12, 2012
Nonesense!! These National Assembly has been operating on below average IQ. This pronouncement does not surprise me at all. It SHOCKS me.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Jonwesley(m): 8:56am On Jun 12, 2012
Idleness, an affront to national and collective integrity. In d face of d national team playing dismally with Namibia and Malawi? D so called Michel has not played a single match under Coach Keshi who is lost in trying unfit players dat in front of an empty net wld play over d bar? I think it's idleness, and let d anger of Boko Haram not fall on dem anyway.
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Delafruita(m): 8:59am On Jun 12, 2012
BizBooks:

It will be very difficult to engage in a sensible discussion with you if you keep hauling
insults around. Arsenal signed Kanu in 1999 and released him in 2004. If you had calmly
read my post, you will see where I said "a team like Arsenal that has not signed a
Nigerian player in almost 10 years
". If you want to be precise, that's 8 years.

It is true that teams do not buy players based on nationality. But if you understand the
politics of international sports, you will know that teams sometimes go out of their way
to buy players from countries where they have large fan base. It makes business sense
because it exponentially increases the revenue they generate from such countries from the
sale of jerseys, TV royalties and advertizement.

Considering the level of support Arsenal enjoys in Nigeria, it will not be out of place to
expect them to sign a Nigerian player. If you notice, they are coming to Nigeria this
summer on a playing tour. Why? Because they have a very large following here. Let's hope
Wenger "discovers" at least one local talent during that tour. It will only serve to
increase their level of popularity and profitability.

If you have something to say, just say it. You don't have to insult another person in the
process. Cyber fights went out of fashion many years ago.
in all fairness to you,its not your fault your thinking is so warped.no rational thinking human will applaud this ediotic step by the NASS.
back to your analogy of teams buying players from countries where they have a large fan base,now thats the lamest idea i ever heard.almost every major team takes a tour in malaysia,hongkong,indonesia every year but can you tellme a single player from any of those countries that has played for a major team?arsenal is coming to nigeria not because they want to come but because a major sporting company is paying them to come with the belief that their fans would turn out to pay huge sums for ticket to their matches.football clubs arent charity organizations that just go on tours because their fans exist in that country or even to allocate quota system for purchase of players based on fanbase.do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?no matter how "fanistic" we are,we can never be more loyal fans than those that pay for tickets to watch the matches in the stadium and go a step further to buy jerseys and other memorabilia.those are the people that keep football clubs afloat and those are the people they owe their loyalties to not the guys who sit at home to watch the match on DSTV or those that pay 50naira wo watch
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Nosyke(m): 9:03am On Jun 12, 2012
Beautymc: They shuld use that money to put overhead bridge at area 3 and wuye (finance) junction Abuja where people die like chicken when crossing the road. So many appeals on dis issue, yet nothing has be done. The money they will waist on mikel won't benefit nigeria.
. Or an overhead bridge at Setraco gate, gwarinpa where you have to cross over 10 lanes. This is stew.pidity in 3 D
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by fujirice: 9:18am On Jun 12, 2012
.....and 2 think dat dz z comin' 4rm OUR lawmakers (the WHOLE three hundred and somethin' of them!!!)?? Truely dz z mind numbin' IF it z true...... Gawd!!!
Re: Nat. Assembly To Honour Mikel Obi - Worth It? by Onasa22: 9:34am On Jun 12, 2012
Please, could someone remind me of his total goal scored for chelsea since inception? bundle of thieves!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Brazil Vs Japan - Confederations Cup - (3 - 0) On 15th June 2013 / Morocco National Team Was Given A Resounding Heroes Welcome / Nigeria Vs Corsica International Friendly May 26 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.