Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Woman Bashing - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Woman Bashing (1275 Views)

Yoruba Vs Ibo, Why The Senseless Hating And Bashing / Bashing Igbo People. / The Phenomenon Of "white Bashing" In The African Community. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Bashing by redsun(m): 4:42am On Nov 24, 2007
It is not uncommon for a man to beat a woman in nigeria,it is part of the culture,a macho thing,as a result of precedence and lack understanding on both sides,it is a stage that you can only overcome when you begin to see things diffrently,a time of self-consciousness,awareness.It dosen't come with money or brainwashed education,but with insight. .Fools can't love.
Re: Woman Bashing by britgirlee(f): 8:02am On Nov 24, 2007
Domestic violence is unacceptable all over the world I absolutely agree with you. It is predominately dominated by men but not uncommon with women.

It causes low self esteem,families are torn apart, children are affected causing problems at school,disruption, you could say 'childabuse' .

For those that are able to obtain help and  leave  to start a new life it is a blessing ,,for those that can't  is a life worth living??  in some cases a partner is beaten to death.
It is also shocking to reveal that a women who are pregnant are at thier most vulnerable suffer greatly at the hands of their partners who see them as very weak and easy to surcome to demands

redsun:

It is not uncommon for a man to beat a woman in Nigeria,it is part of the culture,a macho thing,as a result of precedence and lack understanding on both sides,it is a stage that you can only overcome when you begin to see things differently,a time of self-consciousness,awareness.It doesn't come with money or brainwashed education,but with insight. .Fools can't love.

So is it a culture thing in Nigeria am I allowed to say amongst some Nigerian men.  It is also glamorised in Nigerian films . where the man would think nothing of giving the woman a 'back hand slap'.  The mother in laws and even parents say the woman deserved it 'obey your husband etc

It is sad but i will. take  a lot for this 'culture' to be brought to media attention it might not even happen.

I wouldn't call these men 'fools' I would call them illiterate why because they don't know any better and it what has been instilled in them from their fathers,grandfathers even forefathers, or vice versa

Re: Woman Bashing by ifyalways(f): 5:25pm On Nov 24, 2007
redsun:

It is not uncommon for a man to beat a woman in nigeria,it is part of the culture,a macho thing,as a result of precedence and lack understanding on both sides,it is a stage that you can only overcome when you begin to see things diffrently,a time of self-consciousness,awareness.It dosen't come with money or brainwashed education,but with insight. .Fools can't love.
it is very uncommon in ma village.its unheard of in ma kindred and its so unthinkable of in ma family.i have never seen it ! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Woman Bashing by redsun(m): 5:58pm On Nov 25, 2007
Uncommon dosen't mean everybody is involved,but on average,it is more like a norm,even the law seems to permit it,there is no persecution for woman beating in nigeria whatsoever,of one that i know,as long as the parties are related as husband and wife or boy friend and girlfriend.
A man can decide to beat up his wife and send her parking any time without any legal protection for the woman,even the police will be there watching,it is crude and selfish
The problem is that the lucky few who are one way or the other fortunate to come from a normal family,always see things in their own eyes forgetting the general populace,the society.Until there is a law guiding such act,it will never be taken seriously,it is like drink driving in nigeria,even the police down ogogoro and weed and drive.
Re: Woman Bashing by janami(f): 8:06pm On Nov 25, 2007
woman bashing? i hate wife beaters with a passion. wot kind of macho power is a guy trying to prove by beating someone obviously weaker than him. I will call him nuttin other than a bully. like i always say, a nite in a police cell with serious bullies is all he needs to change kiss
Re: Woman Bashing by spoilt(f): 9:16pm On Nov 25, 2007
redsun:

It is not uncommon for a man to beat a woman in nigeria,it is part of the culture,a macho thing

Not part of the culture my friend. where are you from?
Re: Woman Bashing by redsun(m): 9:46pm On Nov 25, 2007
You only have to live in lagos to know what i am talking about,i know of top company executives and dignitaries that their wives are seeking assylum in the west because of batterings.
Re: Woman Bashing by spoilt(f): 10:37pm On Nov 25, 2007
a number of men beat their wives. I dont think its culturally accepted anywhere. The bad thing is that battered women in naija arent afforded much help.
Re: Woman Bashing by Neoteny(m): 3:21pm On Nov 28, 2007
honestly SOME women just deserve a good beating-especially when they get mean, petty, sulky, pouty, screamy, lazy, bleary, selfish, jealous, envious, vain, macchiavelian, silly, ambitious, forceful, rude. and they mostly get like this all at once.
Re: Woman Bashing by britgirlee(f): 8:52pm On Nov 28, 2007
Neoteny:

honestly SOME women just deserve a good beating-especially when they get mean, petty, sulky, pouty, screamy, lazy, bleary, selfish, jealous, envious, vain, macchiavelian, silly, ambitious, forceful, rude. and they mostly get like this all at once.

i take it you learnt this from an early age,

i take it it you have a mother and sisters female relatives

You are entitled to your views, obviously you don't have anything to go by other vthen your own female relatives to set an example,
Re: Woman Bashing by spoilt(f): 2:22am On Nov 29, 2007
Neoteny:

i warn my friends to beware of guys like you! cant change them. just avoid them and you're good. grin
Re: Woman Bashing by scambater(m): 2:36am On Nov 29, 2007
Neoteny:

I pray someone like you never makes it to the States because you'd spent a lot of time in Jail.
Re: Woman Bashing by OMUWUNMI: 8:47pm On Dec 06, 2007
abeg no blame men wey dey do bash ali with women o,if only una know how my wife dey bash me,una no go pity women wey dem dey bash{abeg no let my wife know say i write dis o i no fit do frog jump tonite o}
Re: Woman Bashing by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 10, 2007
It's a shame, but it still happens more than we know. sad
Re: Woman Bashing by romee(m): 6:27pm On Dec 11, 2007
it a shame 4 a man to lift his hands to beat a woman,wat can i say every1 has a darkside,4 some it is beatin up women.it hapens in africa as well as around the world.it is only my prayer that no one i no get battered by a man they call their husband.4 those who r not yet married nd r already sufferin it, my advice to u is do not sign a lifetime contract wit d devil all in d name of luv
Re: Woman Bashing by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 11, 2007
redsun I agree with you.
Wife beating and spousal abuse is common in Nigeria.
It is not even a crime,it is regarded as a domestic matter.
It is a big shame.

I heard the story of a man who after beating his wife black and blue urinated on her.

(1) (Reply)

Why The Black Man Is A Fool! / Why Are Nigerians So Insanely Fixated On Adding Titles To Their Name? / Ooni Of Ife's Sister Confirms Her Brother's Forthcoming Marriage To Wuraola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.