Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Relocating To Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Relocating To Nigeria (1844 Views)

About Relocating To Nigeria From The United States / Medical Doctor Relocating To Nigeria Needs Advice / Relocating Back To Nigeria (To Lecture In University) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relocating To Nigeria by freelancer(m): 3:00pm On Nov 25, 2007
Hello my people,

I am an graduate with an MBA degree in Environmental Management (combination of a regular MBA and environmental mgmt). Just finished a 1 year internhsip and i'll like to relocate to Nigeria. My problem now is that i don't want to go to nigeria without being sure of getting a good job. Some of my friends here believe it's a wrong move as they say nothing works in Nigeria (which i don't believe). I'll like to know if it is possible to apply for jobs from here or if i'll need to come down to nigeria first. Thanks.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 7:25pm On Nov 25, 2007
I hope you realize that over 90% of the world's population has an "MBA". 

Goodluck.  As you are relocating to Nigeria, you might meet a godfather to place you where you want to be in your life.  Otherwise--get ready go drive a molue!

Just as you can be a manager at Burger King with an MBA--don't think your prospects are any brighter in Nigeria.  Once again--young ladies and gentlemen in the Universities--

PLEASE STUDY SOMETHING MEANINGFUL IN SCHOOL AND DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, ENERGY AND RESOURCES-studying dummy on-line courses!

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Nigeria by freelancer(m): 7:44pm On Nov 25, 2007
hi almondjoy

thanks for your response (no matter how you put it). I never said i did any online course. Actually spent 2 years at the University for double degree program. But i guess all that doesn't matter. Anyway, thanks for your response. Just thought i could have people to clearify issues about my plans and not talk about moluwe.

Adios
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by handsome2(m): 9:17pm On Nov 25, 2007
almondjoy:

I hope you realize that over 90% of the world's population has an "MBA". 

Goodluck.  As you are relocating to Nigeria, you might meet a godfather to place you where you want to be in your life.  Otherwise--get ready go drive a molue!

Just as you can be a manager at Burger King with an MBA--don't think your prospects are any brighter in Nigeria.  Once again--young ladies and gentlemen in the Universities--

PLEASE STUDY SOMETHING MEANINGFUL IN SCHOOL AND DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, ENERGY AND RESOURCES-studying dummy on-line courses!

To assume that you cant live a better life at home in Nigeria or that you cant get a good job in Nigeria is nothing but arrant nonsense and a demented way of reasoning - i think some people are so taken in with living outseide Nigeria that it gets into their head and they think they are better than people living back home in Nigeria.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 12:35am On Nov 26, 2007
handsome_:

To assume that you can't live a better life at home in Nigeria or that you can't get a good job in Nigeria is nothing but arrant nonsense and a demented way of reasoning - i think some people are so taken in with living outseide Nigeria that it gets into their head and they think they are better than people living back home in Nigeria.

You again?  Anybody can live a better life anywhere in the world.  And who is saying anyone is better than the other?  You are so dense that you cannot even read between the lines.  JUST MAKE CAREFUL AND WISE DECISIONS IS THE MESSAGE--let me spell it ot for you since you have a problem with "basic language comprehension".  It does not take a genius to figure that out.  Only people like you I guess. You get it into your thick skull too that the fact that you are in the UK means you were a bloody failure in Nigeria.

So mind your own bloody business and keep driving your "black Maria" over there.  Come over to the real world of Canada and USA when you are ready to live outside Nigeria.  UK is only an extension of "gbagada" so you might not know the difference since you have not left Nigeria yet.

BTW your profile picture does not show anything to let us know you ever left your village. So quit lying about this UK mess and try again for DV-lottery 2009. I wish you luck!

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Nigeria by almondjoy(f): 12:41am On Nov 26, 2007
freelancer:

hi almondjoy

thanks for your response (no matter how you put it). I never said i did any online course. Actually spent 2 years at the University for double degree program. But i guess all that doesn't matter. Anyway, thanks for your response. Just thought i could have people to clearify issues about my plans and not talk about moluwe.

Adios

That is what I am trying to tell you. Look before you leap and make the wisest decisions. Too bad you missed the message and focused on your emotional attachments to words like "molue"! You have to stop gettting all these meaningless degrees and choose something that will flow with the world market. At the end of the day--you have to make the decision not I.

If you had a good plan from the get go--you will not be here trying to "clarify issues"! Too late for that now or have you missed the boat?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by Pain(m): 2:18am On Nov 26, 2007
@AlmondJoy You Are A Mean B+tch. If No One Has Told You B4 Now You Know. You Have An Evil Mind Equal to That of A Witch. Who the Hell Do You Think You Are?

If You Like Rain Hailstones. The Truth Be Told. In Sure You Are A Witch. This Guy Only Asked For Advice. I Hate People Like You. You Will Hardly Go Far in Life. Mark My Words. Your Vituperation Smacks and Reveals the Mindset of a BlackWidow. ( Dont Test My Spirituality)

@Poster, God Will Reward Your Investment in Time and Money. Don't Worry. She Only Intends To Deplete Your Spirit and Hurt Your Soul. Ive Met Many Like Her. They End Up The Same Way.(Trust Me wink )
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by handsome2(m): 2:23am On Nov 26, 2007
almondjoy:

You again?  Anybody can live a better life anywhere in the world.  And who is saying anyone is better than the other?  You are so dense that you cannot even read between the lines.  JUST MAKE CAREFUL AND WISE DECISIONS IS THE MESSAGE--let me spell it ot for you since you have a problem with "basic language comprehension".  It does not take a genius to figure that out.  Only people like you I guess. You get it into your thick skull too that the fact that you are in the UK means you were a bloody failure in Nigeria.

So mind your own bloody business and keep driving your "black Maria" over there.  Come over to the real world of Canada and USA when you are ready to live outside Nigeria.  UK is only an extension of "gbagada" so you might not know the difference since you have not left Nigeria yet.

BTW your profile picture does not show anything to let us know you ever left your village.  So quit lying about this UK mess and try again for DV-lottery 2009.  I wish you luck!
now I see how sick u are.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by omoge(f): 2:29am On Nov 26, 2007
Pain:

@AlmondJoy You Are A Mean B+tch. If No One Has Told You B4 Now You Know. You Have An Evil Mind Equal to That of A Witch. Who the Hell Do You Think You Are?

If You Like Rain Hailstones. The Truth Be Told. In Sure You Are A Witch. This Guy Only Asked For Advice. I Hate People Like You. You Will Hardly Go Far in Life. Mark My Words. Your Vituperation Smacks and Reveals the Mindset of a BlackWidow. ( Dont Test My Spirituality)

@Poster, God Will Reward Your Investment in Time and Money. Don't Worry

take it easy o.

freelancer:

Hello my people,

I am an graduate with an MBA degree in Environmental Management (combination of a regular MBA and environmental mgmt). Just finished a 1 year internhsip and i'll like to relocate to Nigeria. My problem now is that i don't want to go to nigeria without being sure of getting a good job. Some of my friends here believe it's a wrong move as they say nothing works in Nigeria (which i don't believe). I'll like to know if it is possible to apply for jobs from here or if i'll need to come down to nigeria first. Thanks.

@poster

make sure you have plan A and B.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:32am On Nov 26, 2007
with an MBA from a foreign country (i'm suspecting the US, Canada or the UK) you shld clearly be at an advantage and u wont have a problem seeking for a job in Nigeria.
Perhaps you shld put in 2-3yrs work experience where u are now so if you want to go back and get a job its easier. You can always apply for top jobs in naija from wherever you are. . . simply be aware when the tests are and make plans to come back to naija.

Seriously Nigeria isnt all that bad.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by debosky(m): 2:41am On Nov 26, 2007
Well said david, one thing I'd like to mention is this - avoid going back without a solid offer (or at least a good chance of one) if you can

Since you are in the UK, you should look out for the Careers in Africa event holding in the middle of next year, Multinationals and others usually try to hire Nigerians from abroadhttp://www.nairaland.com/Themes/default/images/bbc/divider.gif
| through events like that, and you get to meet senior business leaders and showcase yourself properly.

In Nigeria, there are so many candidates and other job seekers that if you don't know your way around, you may just get drowned in the sea of candidates. Like one of the posters said, have a plan 'B' just in case, save up money in case you don't get a job immediately.

Let no one deceive you, Nigeria can be tough so don't go expecting an Utopia simply because you have a foreign degree. But with the right mindset, you will be successful. Try to find out from others in the Uk that have contemplated such a move or have actually done it. Get as much information as you can.

You have a great chance for success, but plan adequately and don't rush into anything.

@ omoge

some people are getting worked up o!
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by eniyan(m): 8:00am On Nov 26, 2007
@ freelancer,

Congratulation for your degree. I will advice you to look for a job in UK - I know UK employers can act funny sometimes. The statement you made about going to Nigeria concerned me. Nigeria is good if you know your way around the system. I have heard of many people that went to Nigeria solely to look for jobs and they got stuck in system looking for jobs 24/7. Some people eventually made it into some reputable corporations. But I wouldn't lie to you. Except for God's divine favour and intervention, you would need a godfather or some baba agba, to help you get a job in Nigeria. Nigeria is more like the UK. It's not what you know, but who the heck you know!
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by chy(f): 9:03am On Nov 26, 2007
i will advice to stay their and source for job in nigeria
It wont make any sense if you come back and start
looking for a job. People are still surviving in nija
nija is not too bad you can get a well paid job especially
with your educational background Good luck
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by freelancer(m): 9:39am On Nov 26, 2007
Thanks guys, really appreciate all your honest contributions. I'll definately take them all into consideration. Once again, thank you all.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by wisevik: 7:18am On Oct 10, 2012
Hello Freelance and others, just wondering how you got on after considering a move back to Nigeria 5 years ago. Please share. Thank you
Re: Relocating To Nigeria by deenee: 6:41am On Oct 11, 2012
@ the poster, where were you before you decided to embark on the MBA journey? What informed your decision to opt for the environmental management alternative? Where did you do your internship? Do you have relevant work experience and in which country?

These are some of the questions that you need to provide sincere answers to. I don't mean to be brash but apparently,anybody can get a foreign degree now and even MBA for that matter.

I don't know the school that you attended but the MBA is a business course and intended to invoke a thought process in you. Ideally, you are not meant to embark ona job search after the MBA because the one or two experience is meant to enable you have a global view of contemporary business issues. Let me de-construct this and break it down into simple component parts. You have indicated that yoour qualification is embedded with an environmental management option. In Africa right now environmental management and sustainability has become an issue of concern. In Nigeria, it is gaining prominence by the day-floods, drought, desertification, oil spillage and pollution. Whilst a lot will sit back complain, blame the government and also vent their pent up frustrations on domains like this, others have seen and are tapping into the vast business opportunities herein.

We have Nigerians abroad with arrany of degrees in environmental management and the likes doing deand end 9-5 jobs whilst back home our government and organized private sector is spending millions on the services of environmental consultants from abroad-how ironic!

For those championing the stay abroad and look for work option, bear in mind that before any international student for be considered for any job, the recruiter is expected to have exhausted the list of british and EU citizens that could take such before international students are considered.

May God open our eyes of understanding!

(1) (Reply)

Contract And Permanent Jobs In Nigerian Banks / Should I Continue With ICAN Or Travel Abroad For My MASTER DEGREE. / Banks talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.