Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,165 members, 7,849,599 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:14 AM

Where Are The Occupiers? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Are The Occupiers? (527 Views)

Tears For Rail Line Occupiers In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Where Are The Occupiers? by 0k2NVme: 5:38pm On Jun 15, 2012
Now that your messiah is no more, how does this make you feel?
I have always said that in Nigeria people cause confusion for profit. e.g. religious riots, electrical blackouts (generator distributors), etc.
Now that you have all been trolled hard by lil old farouk how does this make you feel?
Now the in thing is to say GEJ set him up.
And to make matters worse, the lower house still wants to shove that tainted report in spite of the current scandal surronding the chairman of that committee.
Re: Where Are The Occupiers? by Mandelaguy(m): 6:52pm On Jun 15, 2012
They have obviously gone home to sleep. We always saw it coming. The triumph of evil over good is just but temporal. When a sincere GEJ saw that there was need to end this subsidy regime so that corrupt people will not continue to drain our resources in the name of subsidy , the same cabal went and sponsored labour to misguide Nigerians to occupy the streets of Lagos. I said it then that the people will soon come to know the real hypocrites. All these holier than thou politicians ran their mouth as to how a responsive govt ought to be serious and entrench accountability in the system. They rushed and convened an emergency session seeking to probe the subsidy regime as if both the president and the senate had not thought of that option and knew it was not the way out. Today, we have exhausted the 888 billion naira earmarked for subsidy for the year and yet those who went to entrench "accountability" in the subsidy regime ended up propagating the very corruption they went to eliminate. It's unfortunate. I saw the law makers make a desperate attempt to salvage an already ridiculed report by appointing Enoh and insisting that the report stands. Even if they appoint a priest(with due respect) to continue the probe it can't restore credibility to that report. The man involved here is not just anybody but the chairman of the committee. And whoever who intends to redeem anything from a report where the chairman can stand up and substitute resolutions at will is obviously a joker.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Occupiers? by PointB: 10:20pm On Jun 15, 2012
^^^
Spot on. The first step in fighting fraud in the down stream sector of the Petroleum industry is total cessation of subsidy on fuel consumption and complete deregulation.

Some have argued that palliative should be in place before this is done. While there is a lot of merit to that argument, I am of the opinion that certain palliative will become another conduit pipe for perpetuation of fraud. In this regard, the 'palliative' should focus mainly of continual development of alternative mass transport system such as the railways, and improving the water transport system. Opening more access road in the rural areas (as some governors are doing) and maintaining existing road is also important (palliative. Beyond these, what the people truly need is power supply - uninterrupted at best, but 14 - 18 hours daily is a good start.

While it might be difficult to achieve these 'palliatives' quick enough, it would be much quicker if government would not spend over 800 billion yearly paying for the fuel I use in my car, generator, etc. This is the massage that the President, Finance Minister, and CBN Governor tried hard to tell us. "To kill corruption, remove the national pie."

But most didn't trust them; but would rather trust the Farouk and Otedola of this world. I welcome them back to rude reality!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria On The Road To Yugoslavia-pengassan / Farouq Lawan Bribery Video To Be Shown On National Tv / NIGERIA'S Crude Output Hits 2.7m Barrels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.