Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,214 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court (13379 Views)

Buruji Kasham's Arrest By NDLA Is Illegal - Court Rules / Deregulation Of The Downstream Oil Sector Is Illegal - Court / Constitution Amendment Without President’s Assent Illegal – Court ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by ceejay80s(m): 11:08am On Jun 16, 2012
Have u heard of saint anthony bank, saint dominic bank, saint jude bank, saint charles bank? Then why will there be a mohammed bank?
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by reloboy(m): 11:09am On Jun 16, 2012
Pure nonsense,
a non intereset bank is not allowed in 9ja when almost all developed country have it mtcheeeeeew
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by violent(m): 11:10am On Jun 16, 2012
gidiMonsta: Islamic banking again? I tire for this islamophobists oo.

The Judge's statement is very flawed and if he had ruled in favour of Godwin, the CBN would have had the judgement easily thrown out at the Supreme Court. The judge knows this hence his locus standii excuse, there is no law that states that the CBN cannot issue a license to a bank to run Islamic banking.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, heck! There are Church-owned Universities in Nigeria that forces all students to take bible study classes, is that NUC approved?

Nigeria is a secular state, where you're free to practice ur religion as long as it doesn't infringe on others, so unless someone can tell me how Islamic banking affects you now and not some conspiracy crap, y'all can stop making noise and let's move on to more pressing issues.

What evidence do you have to prove that the Judge's statement must be very flawed? He's a Federal High court Judge and must have spent several years of his life studying and debating issues in Nigerian Law, what grounds do you have, either through experience or knowledge to challenge his claims?

He mentioned that there are no laws that gives the CBN powers to issue such license, and you,- a stu[i]p[/i]id cu[i]n[/i]t, probably without a dose of knowledge on the Nigerian constitution - are asking to see what laws prohibit the CBN from issuing such licence? The CBN as an insitution has it's boundaries and it's powers are defined within an act of the National Assembly!

What has this gotten to do with Church-owned Universities? We are talking about the deliberate, shameful, infamous, attempt to circumvent provisions of Nigerian laws by the people that ought to be role models of the society, and you are foaming trash about Christian owned Universities....who the hell said this is about religion? If the establishment of those Universities are not provided for by an act of the National Assembly then they must be illegal and should rightly be shut down as should this little infamous islamic banking project!

I am sick and tired of hypocritical Nigerians who demand integrity, honesty, Justice and selflessness from their leaders, but are themselves happy to see the law pissed upon as long as it suits their own selfish religious/tribal interests!

10 Likes

Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by kaeto(m): 11:11am On Jun 16, 2012
IMO we need more of such institutions in Nigeria,one that loans out money without interests,one that will propell a fight against poverty,one that helps meet the needs of the citizenry without any straining interests.the micro- finance banks would have been useful in this regard but the paltry sum they offer is just too meagre to even console the poverty-lost-battle. And such institutions should be orchestrated to strictly patner with locally fibred products only,this would help bolster our economy.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by nitrogen(m): 11:11am On Jun 16, 2012
musty1987: [color=#006600][/color]

one who have asked what do you have agianst islamic banking angry. does islamic banking affect u ? this system of banking is being practiced in most of the developed country in the world. if you are not Ok with it establish christian banking also , we will be very happy about that. this has nothing to do with northern agenda. it for the good of our economy shocked
Oga, developed economies can only adopt the system, a developing economy cannot, so when our economy is okay(developed) then we can, but for now it will only mar and not make it.
Sanusi is a core northerner( and please dont forget that the north can do anything in a bid to rule,), that is why he would want their policies to be the main.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by violent(m): 11:11am On Jun 16, 2012
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by violent(m): 11:13am On Jun 16, 2012
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by boysy(m): 11:13am On Jun 16, 2012
With d name Islamic speaks volume. Nigerian especially our christian brothers in d south are totally disappointed with d Islam with d level of bloodshed of innocent pple in d name of religion. Wheras Islam being d religion of peace suppose to promote peace. So constitutional or unconstitutional d name Islam sounds babaric to our christian brothers no matter d none interest stuff. To me Sanusi Lamido is on his own as north is concern.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by bakila: 11:13am On Jun 16, 2012
The judge spoke by the way and people clapped. He sais the man lacks locus standi and thats all everything he said afterwards is like a post on this thread. Its not Islamic Banking is Non Interest banking, practised right now in the England Home of the Anglican Churce formed because of Anna Boleyn.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by oluwafemim(m): 11:17am On Jun 16, 2012
To me,have got no problem with Islamic banking as a christian,the issue is that there could be anoda way better to solve the crisis in banking dat Sanusi had done,now it is to create Islamic banking.He should av known all the guiding rules of the cbn act b4 dis idea came.Let him do the right thing simple may be something else is at the back of his mind.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by erad(m): 11:20am On Jun 16, 2012
Pple can be sooo bias atimes. Pple jst open deir moths 'gbaga' n say wateva crap deir brains always end up producing. A judge of 'federal high court' said sumfin, do u knw d law beta dan he does Dis is why Nigeria is so messed up, every idiot think they knw beta than the authority. U think a judge will just make a flimsy judgment on such sensitive and delicate matter He neva said islamic banking is wrong, jst said for the time being it is illegal and until the act binding it has been adjusted to include it, it will remain illegal, SHIKENA!!!

2 Likes

Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by bakila: 11:22am On Jun 16, 2012
nitrogen:
Oga, developed economies can only adopt the system, a developing economy cannot, so when our economy is okay(developed) then we can, but for now it will only mar and not make it.
Sanusi is a core northerner( and please dont forget that the north can do anything in a bid to rule,), that is why he would want their policies to be the main.

With a name like nitrogeon one will expect some gud analysis from you. Alas your name should have been Otapiapia Nkpokuotu. What do you know about the topic Non-interest, profit/loss sharing banking, the shylock pound of flesh interest hidden in fine print banking or the Obiter Dictum of the Judge who having ruled that the man has no Personal Jurisdiction to come to Court went ahead o point out the Gabriel in his name in a ruling by ruling on a point that was not argued nor canvassed before him. In Breach of fair hearing to the parties.
The east where you come from dont they want to rule?
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by bakila: 11:27am On Jun 16, 2012
erad: Pple can be sooo bias atimes. Pple jst open deir moths 'gbaga' n say wateva crap deir brains always end up producing. A judge of 'federal high court' said sumfin, do u knw d law beta dan he does Dis is why Nigeria is so messed up, every idiot think they knw beta than the authority. U think a judge will just make a flimsy judgment on such sensitive and delicate matter He neva said islamic banking is wrong, jst said for the time being it is illegal and until the act binding it has been adjusted to include it, it will remain illegal, SHIKENA!!!
That is why he is a Federal High Court Judge his knowledge of the Laws is Subject of labelled erronous before two more Courts. He is dead wrong and he never said it is Illegal. He spoke by the way and like you its is effective as a speech without strength. The Banks are Legal and will continue to operate inspite of you SHIKENA and the Judge by the roadside statement, its called OBITER DICTUM.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by nitrogen(m): 11:29am On Jun 16, 2012
bakila:

With a name like nitrogeon one will expect some gud analysis from you. Alas your name should have been Otapiapia Nkpokuotu. What do you know about the topic Non-interest, profit/loss sharing banking, the shylock pound of flesh interest hidden in fine print banking or the Obiter Dictum of the Judge who having ruled that the man has no Personal Jurisdiction to come to Court went ahead o point out the Gabriel in his name in a ruling by ruling on a point that was not argued nor canvassed before him. In Breach of fair hearing to the parties.
The east where you come from dont they want to rule?
Hmmmmmmmm, a typical northerner, please defend yourself, it is normal, all i know is that you guys are desperados.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by bakila: 11:35am On Jun 16, 2012
oluwafemim: To me,have got no problem with Islamic banking as a christian,the issue is that there could be anoda way better to solve the crisis in banking dat Sanusi had done,now it is to create Islamic banking.He should av known all the guiding rules of the cbn act b4 dis idea came.Let him do the right thing simple may be something else is at the back of his mind.

Banking is Business if Sanusi has something else on his mind that is his problem. The heading is misleading the Judge did not decide that it was Illegal.
One Business can decide to lend you money and charge no interest another will lend and charge you 35% with clauses in the agreement to make it hundred. Choose the one you want.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by violent(m): 11:43am On Jun 16, 2012
bakila:
That is why he is a Federal High Court Judge his knowledge of the Laws is Subject of labelled erronous before two more Courts. He is dead wrong and he never said it is Illegal. He spoke by the way and like you its is effective as a speech without strength. The Banks are Legal and will continue to operate inspite of you SHIKENA and the Judge by the roadside statement, its called OBITER DICTUM.

The banks cannot be said to be legal until the mandate establishing them is tested before an appropriate court and a sitting Judge deliberates on their legality.

The Judge's statement may have been said in passing, but it's completely stoopid to assume that a man of such position could make an unfounded statement without due consultation. Members of the executive branch (the President including) are known for their egregious disregard for the Law. You don't just wake up someday and decide to bypass due process simply because it's Nigeria and everything/anything goes.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by ismhab(m): 11:45am On Jun 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Islamic law is not LEGAL according to Nigerian constitution. If you love it so much, go to countries where it is legal and take advantage of them to your hearts content. In Nigeria it is ILLEGAL and so should be done away with.
Is better for u to go back to yaba hospital, ur number six is no longer working u need rubber brain, u are sick and u need special artificial monkey or donkey brain transplantation.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by Wallie(m): 11:53am On Jun 16, 2012
Everything the court said after saying that the guy lacked locus standi is essentially dicta (non-binding just an opinion). Before a case is entertained to be decided on merits, the court has to establish that the person has legal grounds to bring the suit (locus standi or legal standing).

You have legal standing to bring a suit if (1) you have suffered or will imminently suffer injury from the law, (2) causation - the injury you suffered is traceable to the law, and (3) redressability - the court can fix the injury.

I think any other bank in Nigeria can easily challenge the law.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by IbrahimB: 11:58am On Jun 16, 2012
ckkris: National Assembly will never be able to pass a law to islamise Nigeria. If they try, they will discover the limits of Southern Nigeria subsidising the North since 1914. But the North has effectively been integrating with the South, but not as fast as Northern masses (talakawa), and the Southerners, generally desire to see. People like Sanusi will always use the instruments of The State to delay such massive integration, in order retain whatever remains of their previously absolute control of Northern peoples.

And how is having non-interest banks synonymous with islamizing Nigeria? . Has the Islamic Bank of Britain now islamized Britain? undecided. Instead of your knee-jerk reaction against anything islamic why don't you go and educate yourself about what it is all about? Perhaps, you may even come out with a stronger argument to support your case.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by ismhab(m): 11:58am On Jun 16, 2012
ceejay80s: Have u heard of saint anthony bank, saint dominic bank, saint jude bank, saint charles bank? Then why will there be a mohammed bank?
Because we want our life activities to be guided according to islamic injunctions, after life there is dead and u will be judge by Almighty God accordingly.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by uncleb(m): 11:59am On Jun 16, 2012
I sidon they look, one day God will take away the scale named sentiment that is covering evrybody' face in this naija country.

If you are a muslim, nothing I wrong with islamic banking and ofcourse every christia has a reason to be suspicious.

But no one has been so reasonable to ask this question, how do the owners and promoters intend to run the bank without charging interest on loan which is the major income source to the conventional banks. How will they pay staff, rent fuel and diesel etc and what will be the motivation for the owners if no returns or it would be like a charitable organization and if yes where do the funds come from?

These are intellligent questions I expect us to ask on this form rather than getting enmeshed in religious bigotry.

So, advocates of islamic banking please educate us.

Cheers
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by gidiMonsta(m): 12:02pm On Jun 16, 2012
violent:

What evidence do you have to prove that the Judge's statement must be very flawed? He's a Federal High court Judge and must have spent several years of his life studying and debating issues in Nigerian Law, what grounds do you have, either through experience or knowledge to challenge his claims?

He mentioned that there are no laws that gives the CBN powers to issue such license, and you,- a stu[i]p[/i]id cu[i]n[/i]t, probably without a dose of knowledge on the Nigerian constitution - are asking to see what laws prohibit the CBN from issuing such licence? The CBN as an insitution has it's boundaries and it's powers are defined within an act of the National Assembly!

What has this gotten to do with Church-owned Universities? We are talking about the deliberate, shameful, infamous, attempt to circumvent provisions of Nigerian laws by the people that ought to be role models of the society, and you are foaming trash about Christian owned Universities....who the hell said this is about religion? If the establishment of those Universities are not provided for by an act of the National Assembly then they must be illegal and should rightly be shut down as should this little infamous islamic banking project!

I am sick and tired of hypocritical Nigerians who demand integrity, honesty, Justice and selflessness from their leaders, but are themselves happy to see the law pissed upon as long as it suits their own selfish religious/tribal interests!

The fact that you choose to hurl insults at me rather than bring up a counter argument to the points I raised shows your level of bias and bigotry.

I'll ask again; what part of the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria forbids the CBN from granting license to a religious bank? How does Islamic banking affect you?
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by rabalord(m): 12:07pm On Jun 16, 2012
Can non-Muslims take loans from these Islamic banks?
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by tinnymerit(m): 12:09pm On Jun 16, 2012
This cant work in Nja,even if it works somewhere else it cannot just work here.I was surprised some youths can even support that.Have they forgot bad debt,salary of workere,taxes payable by the bank and other invisible expenses?,where do u think those money will be coming from?,federal government i quess?.If u dont know nigeria economic graph has never been straight even if other countries are.I give it till december and see if it will thrive or wane.goodluck Nigerians.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by otokx(m): 12:11pm On Jun 16, 2012
An appeal has not been exhausted.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by Iranoladun(f): 12:12pm On Jun 16, 2012
gidiMonsta:

The fact that you choose to hurl insults at me rather than bring up a counter argument to the points I raised shows your level of bias and bigotry.

I'll ask again; what part of the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria forbids the CBN from granting license to a religious bank? How does Islamic banking affect you?

How about 'What part of the laws of Federal Republic of Nigeria permits the CBN to grant licence to a religious bank (that will charge no interest)' Kindly educate us since you are knowledgeable in the act establishing the Islamic bank Jaiz. undecided

1 Like

Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by gidiMonsta(m): 12:13pm On Jun 16, 2012
ceejay80s: Have u heard of saint anthony bank, saint dominic bank, saint jude bank, saint charles bank? Then why will there be a mohammed bank?

So because the christians didn't start it makes it illegal?

BTW: Christian laws forbid ursury in business transactions.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by aurenflani: 12:14pm On Jun 16, 2012
PLEASE WHERE IS THE BANK LOCATED IN ABUJA? I NEED TO GET THEIR ACCOUNT OPENING FORM FOR CORPORATE ACCOUNT.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by manny4life(m): 12:28pm On Jun 16, 2012
There is a whole lot of things SLS has done without amendment or resolution from NASS giving CBN authority. When you impose cashless banking on people, are we in a draconian rule? When you put in your friends at the helm of troubled banks so you can sell the troubled bank for pennies on the $$$, what does that tell you? When he established Islamic banking, fools will come on here to say, "oh Soludo established the framework", like really? He established the framework but NEVER concluded it for how many years he was gov...

Personally, I don't care whether they have Islamic Bank or not, that their problem, my own is, NASS needs to setup a committee to check and balance this man while he's still at the helm of CBN. To make sure he's not doling out money "secretly" to this banks. Without doubt, it's ONLY a matter of time, the bank(s) will come crashing.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by member479760: 12:30pm On Jun 16, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

So what happens next? Are they going to close down Jaiz International bank? I personally see nothing wrong with Islamic banking because I love banks that don't charge interest rates on loans.

who no love it?
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by gidiMonsta(m): 12:45pm On Jun 16, 2012
Iranoladun:

How about 'What part of the laws of Federal Republic of Nigeria permits the CBN to grant licence to a religious bank (that will charge no interest)' Kindly educate us since you are knowledgeable in the act establishing the Islamic bank Jaiz. undecided

As long as there's no law that stops the CBN from granting licenses to islamic banks in Nigeria, that is sufficient for the 'Board of Directors' of the CBN to go ahead with it.
Re: Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court by ismhab(m): 12:46pm On Jun 16, 2012
rabalord: Can non-Muslims take loans from these Islamic banks?
WHY NOT? THERE ARE ALOT OF X-TIANS WORKING IN THE BANK, EVEN SOME OF THEM ARE SHARE HOLDERS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari’s Visit: Is The US Our Friend Or Foe? -by Hugo Odiogor / Abiola’s Family Demands Presidential Entitlements / Ngige: Nigerians Should Be Clapping For Buhari Every Day & Thanking Us After God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.