Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour (29035 Views)

Is This Always True Abt The Binis?? / Why Do Some Yorubas Like Claiming The Binis Originated From Yorubaland? / Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 10:47pm On Dec 10, 2012
Abagworo: Igbos are not mixed and not even as light skinned as people make it seem. We have more light brown skinned people than most other Nigerian black ethnic groups but not in any way white skinned. Is singer Chris Brown light-skinned?

chris brown is mixed.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 10, 2012
ezeagu:
No it is NOT, unless you have DNA evidence of this from all the testing that has gone on on the coast. Again, even the Wodaabe scored low on Berber DNA, Igbo people (both dark and light) have been tested and there hasn't been any case of ANY European ancestry.

What's Berber? - that's another term for Arabised Moors(black people) who became light-skinned due to excessive inter-breeding with Arabs... FYI, Tuaregs are also classified as Berbers and most of them are dark-skinned...

However, why is the Haplogroup R1b (the most frequent Y-chromosome haplogroup in Western Europe) more dominant among Igbos and Edos than other Nigerians?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 10:54pm On Dec 10, 2012
for reasons which shall not be mentioned here.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 10:55pm On Dec 10, 2012
Again, even the Wodaabe scored low on Berber DNA

how did they score on east african and arab dna?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezotik: 11:08pm On Dec 10, 2012
shymexx: ^^^^Most of the light skinned Africans were mostly raped during colonial times...

Interracial marriages weren't really common during that period...

I read a book a couple of weeks ago and the most affected/raped were: Edos/Itsekiris, Egbas, and Igbos...

i always thought the ekitis were the ones stereotyped as light in yorubaland.
and i often wonder why european surnames is more prevalent amongst yorubas who most times are the elites in yoruland.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 10, 2012
Wodaabe people will definitely score high on West and East African DNA - they're negroids, not bootleg "Berbers" or Arabs...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 10, 2012
ezotik:
i always thought the ekitis were the ones stereotyped as light in yorubaland.
and i often wonder why european surnames is more prevalent amongst yorubas who most times are the elites in yoruland.

Egbas have the most European names in Yorubaland and probably produced the highest number of slaves(from Yorubaland) during the slave trade, hence why most of the Saros and Amros who return to Nigeria after the slave trade had Egba ancestry... They were involved in so many wars and at the receiving side of almost everything that happened during that period... Don't forget they had to move from Ibadan to where they're located today in Abeokuta...

My maternal grandma is Egba and she looks mixed race - and most people from her family have the same colour tone.... The Ekiti mixing should be a more recent one, or bleaching cream.. grin
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezotik: 11:19pm On Dec 10, 2012
shymexx:

Egbas have the most European names in Yorubaland and probably produced the highest number of slaves(from Yorubaland) during the slave trade, hence why most of the Saros and Amros who return to Nigeria after the slave trade had Egba ancestry... They were involved in so many wars and at the receiving side of almost everything that happened during that period... Don't forget they had to move from Ibadan to where they're located today in Abeokuta...

My maternal grandma is Egba and she looks mixed race - and most people from her family have the same colour tone.... The Ekiti mixing should be a more recent one, or bleaching cream.. grin

lol @ bleaching cream.
anyway, so a yoru with a euro surname is likely an egba. ok
but why do yorubas with euro surnames are mostly in the elite class?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 11:24pm On Dec 10, 2012
ezotik:
lol @ bleaching cream.
anyway, so a yoru with a euro surname is likely an egba. ok
but why do yorubas with euro surnames are mostly in the elite class?

Obviously, most of them are old money and they're from generations of returnee slaves... Don't forget the returnee slaves were mostly part of the Nigerian elites when they returned because they were the facilitators between the colonial masters and the local people... And they were highly westernised as well... Perhaps, it's because of that... However, majority of the Yoruba elites don't have English/Euro surnames..
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 10, 2012
Interesting Thread,

However, There is one Flaw i feel in Shy's argument.

I am going to ignore the fact that Igbo's have genetically tested Pure SSA on mostly all Dna Charts that can be searched Via Google.

Ill leave that aside and just argue on Theory.

Now...Without using DNA evidence to support my claim, I will engage in theorizing as to why i believe Using East Africans of admixture and comparing them to Igbo are Incorrect

Now, one argument i seen presented by a few posters is.

"Well Igbo are Lightskin so that must mean admixture, Look at the Horn who have obtained their complexion and features due to mixing"

^--Not a direct quote but i am summarizing.

Here is the problem with that Argument though

Igbo People have yet somehow retained the Strongest Most Visibly Prominent Facial Features seen throughout most of West and Central Africa

A deep, detailed study into the Width of their Noses and Thickness of their Lips...One can conclude that Igbo People Possess the Strongest most Prominent Features in all Of Nigeria.

So my question would be...

If their lightskin is due to admixture...

Why did their "Lips"...not get substantially Thinner, Like other Blacks who have obtained Admixture?

Why Did their "Nose"....not get substantially More Narrow, Like the Other Blacks who have obtained Admixture?

Why did their "Hair"....not transform and become wavy and straight, Like the other Blacks who have obtained Admixture?...

My personal Opinion. Is that, Black Africans of the Forest Regions Just maintained a Brownish "Lighter" Skin Tone, as compared to the Blacks who migrated to the Sahel from the Sahara.

Sunlight Created Darker Skin Tones.

If you notice.....

when analyzing ...

Senegal,Gambia..Guinea....Cote D'Iviore....Ghana....Togo...Benin...SW Nigeria....SE Nigeria....

The Complexions Go from Darkest Browns/Blacks...To Lighter Browns from Left to Right.

Now.

To support shymexx Argument.....Many Tribes in Cote D'Iviore also display Lighter Tones then In Ghana...

Yet, many of them are all closely related.

There is also heavy documented historical proof of far more mixing in Cote D'Iviore, than in Ghana

Again though, Many of those groups who are Light Brown (Lightskin) have been linked to having historical Ties of The Forest Regions of West Africa.

Through Historical Literature, Igbo's and Mixing has been Documented

However it does not show up on Genetic Studies and Dna Evidence.

My Personal Feeling is that Igbo's have not "obtained" Lightskin from a Foreign Source.

Otherwise their Features would have changed Drastically along with their Hair.

The Igbo Nose is one of the Widest and Largest in all of Africa.

The Igbo Lips are among the Largest and Thickest in all of Africa.

The Igbo Hair is among the Thickest and Most Tightly Coiled in all of West Africa.

Are their Igbo's Mixed?...Absolutely.

Are their Igbo's with so called "Good Hair"..and "Thin Lips"..and "Narrow" Noses...absolutely.

But it is not represented on the Large Scale...Well at least not from what I have Seen

However Light Brown Skin is.

My Opinion is that they Have not obtained that Skin Tone from Mixing.

2 Likes

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:01am On Dec 11, 2012
https://www.facebook.com/peace.opara1/photos_stream

https://www.facebook.com/peace.opara1

Look at this Igbo woman for example(I am assuming she is igbo based off her location, and the language she put in her box, and the facebook group she is subscribed to that i found her in)

Are we implying this skin tone is a result of admixture?

Yet many of the so called "Lightskin" igbos, have retained thick full lips and fat noses..(Like her for example)

When you search facebook groups...Of Igbo Groups...

And Search Igbo Last names, and search by states and cities in Igbo Regions. Like Abia,Rivers,Anambra..

You start looking through profiles, and you will see the same theme

Light Brown,Medium Brown Tones and Huge Lips and Noses....

Why would they have retained such stark Prominent West African/Central African Features....yet somehow "lost" their Darkskin(allegedly) due to admixture?

All signs of proof point to them just being extremely diverse.

Again though, i do not live in Nigeria, Nor do i see these people on a every day basis like many nigerians, So i could be wrong.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:03am On Dec 11, 2012
^I agree. climate and selective breeding over millions of years can have this effect. it is not due to mixing.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 11, 2012
You can't really judge "admixture" by using facial structure and characteristics as a premise... The environment plays a role in that...

For example: people from desert and savannah regions in Africa have higher cheekbones, thinner eye folds, and thinner lips; when compared to people from the tropical regions... That's why Yoruba and Edo(including Northern Edo) people are more diverse because they're from two regions (Savannah and Tropical regions)...

I also don't think Igbos have the most pronounced African features in the Nigeria, other proto-bantu ethnic groups(Tiv, Cross River, Ijaw etc.) have more pronounced African features than Igbos... It has more to do with their Bantu ancestry(though minimal) than anything else...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:05am On Dec 11, 2012
I am looking through Igbo Profiles on Fb right now...

I mean Dear God...

The Noses and Lips on these People....

I think we put far too much emphasis on skin complexion

Igbos are lighter than Ashanti and Yoruba for the Same reasons Congolese Generally tend to be Lighter than the Wolof

Adaptations to regions and climate.

To me at least, that is all what it seems.

Again though, i don't live in Nigeria, So to many the "Diversity" to the Nakedd eye of a Resident may seem "Out of Place" to him or her.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 12:07am On Dec 11, 2012
all light skin igbos arent necessarily mixed.

however, a number of light skinned igbos are indeed, mixed.

what's the skin tone of the facebook lady? She looks like a regular nigerian to me.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 11, 2012
I agree with some of what shymexx is saying, because there is an abundance of historical literature saying their was Mass Mixing.

Yet, the Dna and scientific data does not support it.

I also from an Ignorant point of view think that,...Igbos tend to have stronger features than many Yoruba.

To "me"..

To "My Eyes"..

Believe it or Not...

Igbo look more "Black African" Than Yoruba....

A Good example of my statement is..

Compare Somali to Igbo

Igbo's look more Black African, despite possessing Lighter skin than MANY somalis.

Hair tells more about admixture than Skin Color

Skin Color is adaptation to Region.

Igbos were kind of forest region dwellers.

Again though, I could be wrong.

Just giving a sideline point of view as an Outsider.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 11, 2012
East and Central Africans have the most pronounced African features on the continent and they're mostly Bantus...

Perhaps, that's why Bantu and Swahili are used to represent blackness/African-ness in black diaspora...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 12:10am On Dec 11, 2012
the prominent features are indeed very pronounced, but most igbos with prominent features, and who are light skinned, would still not be mistaken for mixed.

two totally different facial structures here, the only common factor is light skin, which is probably one reason for the confusion.

igbos have a differing range of phenotypes, but all are generally recognizable as igbo.

besides, people tend to ignore the capoid features in igbos as well, not sure why.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:12am On Dec 11, 2012
There's mixing everywhere...

Most Irish and Germanic people also have minimal black ancestry...

If you want the pure caucasoid race - you need to hit scandinavia and siberia for that.. grin

Negroes were also the first to settle in Northern Europe, so there's racial mixing everywhere and it's nothing to be ashamed of... cool
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:13am On Dec 11, 2012
tpia1: the prominent features are indeed very pronounced, but most igbos with prominent features, and who are light skinned, would still not be mistaken for mixed.

two totally different facial structures here, the only common factor is light skin, which is probably one reason for the confusion.

igbos have a differing range of phenotypes, but all are generally recognizable as igbo.

besides, people tend to ignore the capoid features in igbos as well, not sure why.

I concur with the bolded part...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 11, 2012
tpia1: all light skin igbos arent necessarily mixed.

however, a number of light skinned igbos are indeed, mixed.

what's the skin tone of the facebook lady? She looks like a regular nigerian to me.

Exactly, she looks regular Nigerian.

To me as Well

Yet that "skin tone" is always claimed to be a sign of Mixture

Her facial structure looks Black African to me

Her lips..

Her nose...

Obviously she is wearing a weave so we know her hair is "Black African"

...I dunno bro...

For some reason i think the Igbo Mixing stories have been grossly over exaggerated.

Mixed People Usually Can tell Mixed Black people from regular Lightskin Black People(Yeah i know it sounds mad crazy)

A Lightskin Black Person with two black parents tend to look different from a Lightskin "Black" Person, with One Black Parent.

Like for example...

My Body Hair...is different...

I am Like Roy Jones Jr Complexion...

But i noticed Black Dudes with Less Admixture and Usually Two fully black parents have this thick nappy Chest Hair Like RJJ

My body hair Lay Straight, and Flat

Once again, Hair tells more about admixture than Skin Complexion.(IMO)
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezotik: 12:15am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx: There's mixing everywhere...

Most Irish and Germanic people also have minimal black ancestry...

If you want the pure caucasoid race - you need to hit scandinavia and siberia for that.. grin

Negroes were also the first to settle in Northern Europe, so there's racial mixing everywhere and it's nothing to be ashamed of... cool

embracing ur euro ancestors that raped the ones from egba, i c.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:19am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx: East and Central Africans have the most pronounced African features on the continent and they're mostly Bantus...

You think East Africans have more Pronounced Features than West Africans?

Subtract The Nilotics

You serious?

Nilotics are prominent for obvious reasons

But, The Rest of the East Africans features can't hold a candle to West African Prominence (Imo)

The Features of West Africans are the most Stark in contrast to me.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 11, 2012
Chris Rock has about 25% European ancestry(according to DNA)...

However, does he look European??

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 11, 2012
I agree, about the Mixing Part

The Spanish and Much of Southern Italy are NOT pure.

I think the Igbo's are more Pure than Many West African Tribes Though

I think Light Brown Skin is just a result of their Region and Historical Travels

They may have completely avoided the Sahara. Unlike many West Africans.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 11, 2012
~Royal~:

You think East Africans have more Pronounced Features than West Africans?

Subtract The Nilotics

You serious?

Nilotics are prominent for obvious reasons

But, The Rest of the East Africans features can't hold a candle to West African Prominence (Imo)

The Features of West Africans are the most Stark in contrast to me.

East and Central Africans minus the horn of Africa - YES!!

Have you seen Cameroonians, Congolese, Angolans and other proto-bantu groups?? How about Ijaws in Nigeria??

You can't compare them to Nigerians!!
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 11, 2012
Even 90% of Arabs have black ancestry... grin
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 11, 2012
Personally I feel West Africans have the Most Prominent Features of all Africans.

(If we are going to count Darker Skin Along with Lip thickness and Nose Width)

Congolese and Cameroonians, tend to have the Biggest Lips and Widest Noses(And Igbo's being South East Nigerians have adopted that as Well)

Which probably explains why Igbos features are more prominent than Yoruba(Minus the Dark Tone)

Lips for Lips..

Nose for Nose...

Igbo Women>Yoruba all day, when it comes to the size of Features.

Technically Igbos can make the argument in Reverse...

"Well our lips and nose look more pure black african than Yoruba, so maybe you Yoruba's are admixed as well"

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 11, 2012
Even Whoopi Goldberg has mixed ancestry as well...

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 12:29am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx:

What's Berber? - that's another term for Arabised Moors(black people) who became light-skinned due to excessive inter-breeding with Arabs... FYI, Tuaregs are also classified as Berbers and most of them are dark-skinned...

However, why is the Haplogroup R1b (the most frequent Y-chromosome haplogroup in Western Europe) more dominant among Igbos and Edos than other Nigerians?

Berbers are different from Arabs, there have been lighter skinned people living in north Africa (Libya) since Ancient Egypt. Where did you get this R1b European nonsense from? There are absolutely no signs of mixture in the Igbo population, through ancestral DNA, through facial features and build, through to actual history and so on. Igbo land was actually the last place in Nigeria that was visited by non-Africans so when did this massive migration of Europeans happen and how comes non of us have heard of it? The Igbo are more similar to the 'pigmies' of the central region of Africa than they ever will be to any population outside (or even inside) of Africa. Igbo is genetically similar to the Mbundu populations of Congo. Until you can show me a study which says otherwise, your reply's won't do much in favor of your argument.

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 12:36am On Dec 11, 2012
U can't even understand what is wrong with some people. Isn't it common sense that if it was the British that gave the Igbo population their ethnic features (which a stupid conclusion seeing as Igbo people do not look much different to other African populations), then there would be enough people to remember this? Especially when, in your whacky theories, all Igbo people were supposedly dark until their women were molested and then the babies came out lighter, which means women were having foreign looking babies in the village.

Have any of you even stopped to even pick up a book, google, or ask about Igbo history, society, and culture? Have you heard of Europeans having babies with African women and allowing them to travel back to their traditional communities. Please!
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:39am On Dec 11, 2012
ezeagu:
Berbers are different from Arabs, there have been lighter skinned people living in north Africa (Libya) since Ancient Egypt. Where did you get this R1b European nonsense from? There are absolutely no signs of mixture in the Igbo population, through ancestral DNA, through facial features and build, through to actual history and so on. Igbo land was actually the last place in Nigeria that was visited by non-Africans so when did this massive migration of Europeans happen and how comes non of us have heard of it? The Igbo are more similar to the 'pigmies' of the central region of Africa than they ever will be to any population outside (or even inside) of Africa. Igbo is genetically similar to the Mbundu populations of Congo. Until you can show me a study which says otherwise, your reply's won't do much in favor of your argument.

Berbers are just a new group created by Europeans to give the glory of the Moors(black people) who conquered and ruled Southern Europe during the dark ages to their mixed offspring... Those who lived in Libya during Ancient Egypt were blacks and the Phoenicians who came afterwards with Hannibal were also blacks - hence why Gaddafi never recognised the Berbers and their language... Gaddafi confirmed it himself!!

You can't judge a person's ancestry through facial features, if you do that, then most African Americans would be pure Africans as well... However, that isn't the case - most of them with the most pronounced African features and the darkest skin are also mixed... Physical features has absolutely nothing to do with admixture....

Mariah Carey is half black but she looks 100% white:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife & Saheed Elegushi At Olubadan's Coronation (Photos) / Things Nigerians Call Twice / Prince Salisu Bayero Marries Second Wife 2 Years After His Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.