Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,879 members, 7,824,672 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Young African Leaders Visit The U.S. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Young African Leaders Visit The U.S. (819 Views)

Images Of The Devastation By Hurricane Sandy In The U.S. / Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. / FULL Video Samuel Doe Assassination African Leaders This Is A Reminder... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Young African Leaders Visit The U.S. by AfroBlue(m): 6:35am On Jun 17, 2012
[b]
Friends and Neighbors
Young African leaders visit Miami

By Bea L. Hines
bea.hines@gmail.com

Our city will be honored with the presence of six young leaders from Africa through June 28. The Miami Council for International Visitors (MCIV) will serve as host to our guests, who are a part of a 60-member delegation, who are in this country as a part of the Innovation Summit and Mentoring Partnership with Young African Leaders, hosted by the State Department.

On June 13, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton welcomed the visitors to the summit, a three-week professional development program sponsored by the federal government in collaboration with implementing partner, Meridian International Center. The program is a part of the Obama Administration’s long-term program to engage Africa’s young leaders who are actively promoting positive change in their communities. The President’s Initiative, which began with the president’s Forum with Young African Leaders in 2010, has included more than 2,000 U.S. government-sponsored programs for young leaders across Sub-Saharan Africa in addition to First Lady Michelle Obama’s Young African Women Leaders Forum, held in South Africa in June of 2011.

In addition to Miami, other participants will travel to business internships in Seattle, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Huntsville, Denver, Chicago and Cincinnati for the mentoring partnership with other U.S. companies and non-profit organizations. Their two weeks in U.S. cities will give them a hands-on experience in the American workplace and exposure to cultural aspects of American life. Closing ceremonies will be on June 29 and 30 in Chicago.

The six who are visiting Miami are: Eileen Barbosa, economic advisor to the Prime Minister of Cape Verde; Curtiss Dakpogan, director of operations at the Port of Cotonou in Benin; Jacqueline Mkindi, executive director of the Tanzanian Horticulture Association; Saraha Rasoambolanoro, manager of a youth civic center in Madagascar; Segun Shetan, founder of Bright Youth Organization, Lagos, Nigeria; and Fistame Woldemichael, a children’s author and publisher of Habte Books in Ethiopia.

While here, Annette G. Alvarez, executive director of MCIV said, our guests "will be matched with wonderful people and organizations who have agreed to allow them to ’shadow’ them for a few days."

Some of the stops they will make include the Carrie Meek Entrepreneurial Center, Tacolcy Center, the Overtown Youth Center, Paradise Farms and the Port of Miami. The group will also visit a local church.

For more information on the Miami Council for International Visitors call 305-421-6344 or go to www.miamiciv.org .
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/17/v-fullstory/2849722/young-african-leaders-visit-miami.html#storylink=cpy[/b]
Re: Young African Leaders Visit The U.S. by pendo89(f): 12:02pm On Jun 18, 2012
And why is my country not represented? Do they know how many young an vibrant leaders we have from this end? angry grin

Did you wazua?
Re: Young African Leaders Visit The U.S. by AfroBlue(m): 6:28am On Jun 19, 2012
pendo89: And why is my country not represented? Do they know how many young an vibrant leaders we have from this end? angry grin

Did you wazua?

Hi e-wifey, I have no idea what went into the selection and decision process but am glad the program exist. I'm well aware of grand magnificence of the great nation of Kenya.

I signed up for wazua, posted a few times, went back and had difficulty signing in.
Someone on nairaland posted this website [url]http://kenyanbestforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=43de0c5b2749eb39a500a109f8cad9c9& [/url], I saved it but haven't explored it yet.
Re: Young African Leaders Visit The U.S. by pendo89(f): 5:32pm On Jun 19, 2012
Afro_Blue:

Hi e-wifey, grin funny that.
I have no idea what went into the selection and decision process but am glad the program exist. I'm well aware of grand magnificence of the great nation of Kenya.

I signed up for wazua, posted a few times, went back and had difficulty signing in.
Someone on nairaland posted this website [url]http://kenyanbestforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=43de0c5b2749eb39a500a109f8cad9c9& [/url], I saved it but haven't explored it yet.

What was ur id? cz I also exp.the same problem plus many others.I think it was technical.
I haven't come across this one you posted. Wzua is mostly biz oriented. lots of serious investors in there.
After being on NL for a while I find many others forums somewhat slow. This is one hell of a place and it has so many boards unlike many others.
Will explore.
Hope all is well in Mia.

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Gangsters Deported From Angola / US Places Travel Warning To Europe For THREE MONTHS!!! / Gambia’s President Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.