Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,072 members, 7,821,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? (7824 Views)

Cancer Drugs A Cure For HIV – Says Researchers / How To Cure Apollo / CSA-54: A Possible Cure For HIV/AIDS! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Mbeki: 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2012
Is breast best for inhibiting HIV? An unknown component of breast milk kills HIV particles and virus-infected cells, as well as blocking HIV-transmission in mice with a human immune system.

Even if babies born to HIV-positive mothers avoid infection during birth, around 15 per cent contract HIV during early childhood. Since the virus can get into milk, breastfeeding was one possible suspect.

To investigate further, Angela Wahl at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and her colleagues created mice with human bone marrow, liver and thymus tissues that all became infected with HIV if the mice were given an oral dose of the virus. However, if the rodents were fed breast milk contaminated with HIV, the virus wasn’t transmitted.

Previous research had hinted at breast milk’s antiviral properties, but it was unclear if they would prevent transmission of HIV. “We have shown that milk has an intrinsic innate ability to kill HIV,” says J. Victor Garcia, who supervised the work.

The hunt is now on for the mysterious ingredient in breast milk that inhibits the virus. If it can be identified, it might even be used to prevent other forms of HIV transmission, such as sexual transmission.

Why do some breastfed babies born to HIV-positive mothers contract the virus, if breast milk doesn’t transmit HIV? It’s possible that suckling on cracked nipples may expose babies to virus in their mother’s blood.

Source: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21931-breast-milk-seems-to-kill-hiv.html

1 Like

Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Lisa1: 2:59pm On Jun 18, 2012
grin grin
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by NSNA: 3:01pm On Jun 18, 2012
Its quite amazing that babies don't get the virus at childbirth.
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jun 18, 2012
I need some of that milk in my life!! grin
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Boyoorisha: 3:04pm On Jun 18, 2012
OYO!
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jun 18, 2012
Oya make HIV+ people go suck cossy or mercy johnson mammary gland. grin

2 Likes

Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Emmy9ite(m): 3:12pm On Jun 18, 2012
Let the sucking begin! Yeaeaeaeaeaeaeaea!!
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Psaalmuel(m): 3:20pm On Jun 18, 2012
Aaargh,e don hapen big boobs dn diet 4 ma hand..
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Pakavy(m): 3:23pm On Jun 18, 2012
yes o..jugglers reign!
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Callimo(m): 3:31pm On Jun 18, 2012
shymmex: I need some of that milk in my life!! grin

Me too...oo grin grin grin grin
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by KINGwax(m): 3:31pm On Jun 18, 2012
Are u pondering what i'm pondering?

2 Likes

Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Mbeki: 3:49pm On Jun 18, 2012
Look at all these overgrown babies, You guys have succeeded in chasing all the ladies away from my thread!The one wey una suck for pikinhood never do una?

1 Like

Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by joelala(m): 4:02pm On Jun 18, 2012
ok great news...so na to dey suck bobby dey go be that na.
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 18, 2012
This mukina of a thing must be really dumb and confused.. Which aspect of my warranted a ban?? Bluetooth's post is worse than what I posted, nyggahbytch.

Mukina, the earlier you join your boko haram brothers brothers up north, the better for everyone..

You and your life sucks, phuck you fat mug..
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by adefo(m): 4:24pm On Jun 18, 2012
Sotcking tinz loading 54%
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by kinguwem: 4:34pm On Jun 18, 2012
Most babies (about 60%) are infected during labour. About 10-20% of babies are infected through breast feeding. The rate of transmission is greatly reduced in mothers who are on anti-retroviral drugs (about 2%). Administration of prophylactic ARVs to new babies is one of the means of prevention of transmission of the disease.
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by scopusng(m): 5:39pm On Jun 18, 2012
Come see where guys dey suck breast like work.
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by funkymedina: 5:46pm On Jun 18, 2012
Which one be bossom milk? Is breast milk bad to say?
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Emilo(m): 5:48pm On Jun 18, 2012
Any body sucking bossom milk now, may be infected already....
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by WhoIGoAsk: 6:01pm On Jun 18, 2012
[size=16pt]soon you will see shops with sign post like, suck "mother's milk" here. 1000naira per suction. Suck 3 get 1 free.

and people gifted with mothers milk factory will start to lock it, insure it. Those who can afford it might go for suck now, pay later.

In Shorts, no more unemployed person with a fuctioning mother's milk factory, at least for some years.

Start making reservations now if u've got the virus, it will soon be scarce. or get married ASAP. lol
[/size]

on a serious note, that's a welcomed development. Hope they can isolate the component responsible for killikng the virus and start generating them in lab.
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Emmy9ite(m): 6:05pm On Jun 18, 2012
Who I Go Ask?:
[size=16pt]soon you will see shops with sign post like, suck "mother's milk" here. 1000naira per suction. Suck 3 get 1 free[/size]
GUY I DON LAUGH TIRE! ABEG NO KILL ME O!

1 Like

Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Pakavy(m): 7:10pm On Jun 18, 2012
Emmy9ite: Let the sucking begin! Yeaeaeaeaeaeaeaea!!
RIP
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Pakavy(m): 7:13pm On Jun 18, 2012
hypeman: This mukina of a thing must be really dumb and confused.. Which aspect of my warranted a ban?? Bluetooth's post is worse than what I posted, nyggahbytch.

Mukina, the earlier you join your boko haram brothers brothers up north, the better for everyone..

You and your life sucks, phuck you fat mug..
bluetooth is connected.he myt even b seun in disguise
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by IYANGBALI: 8:51pm On Jun 18, 2012
Who I Go Ask?:
[size=16pt]soon you will see shops with sign post like, suck "mother's milk" here. 1000naira per suction. Suck 3 get 1 free.

and people gifted with mothers milk factory will start to lock it, insure it. Those who can afford it might go for suck now, pay later.

In Shorts, no more unemployed person with a fuctioning mother's milk factory, at least for some years.

Start making reservations now if u've got the virus, it will soon be scarce. or get married ASAP. lol
[/size]

on a serious note, that's a welcomed development. Hope they can isolate the component responsible for killikng the virus and start generating them in lab.
boy abeg no kill me o lwkmd
Re: Mother's Milk: Key To Cure For HIV? by Feemmy(m): 9:10pm On Jun 18, 2012
That is a good step by the scientist, i think hiv is in trouble. All they need now is support so that they can do the drug.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guys Beware! There Is Something Deadlier Than AIDS / Techniques To Delay Ejaculation / My Wife's Breasts Are Pissing Me Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.