Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,967 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business (4431 Views)

Startimes Slashes Bouquet Prices / DSTV Is Taking Nigerians For Granted! / How To Watch Free To Air On Hitv Decoder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by soloqy: 5:22pm On Jun 17, 2012
With the launch of Gotv in Lagos, its game over for Startimes. This DSTV people are ruthless. They waited till Startimes increased their subscription fees before doing this. Who can stand against this people?

With subscriptions at 1000 naira and 1,500 naira.

1 Like

Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 17, 2012
? Lets watch as the jogodo continues. One must win. BB got some game plan as they see that terrestrial service want to use law to put them on the offset.
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by dolpaz: 10:52pm On Jun 17, 2012
They are using every tactics to run any other operator down..now its time for startime..funniest thing about BB, they can even give you 3months FREE subscription ahead..I really pity them cry cry hope they can survive this!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by soloqy: 1:54pm On Jun 18, 2012
With even 3 months free subscription with the offer of 9k and 9k 500.

Just that there is no CNN in the channel offerings
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 7:27pm On Jun 18, 2012
yeah, dstv is fond of doing this kind of thing! grin
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by Fiver: 12:13am On Jun 19, 2012
is it illegal?
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 4:24pm On Jun 19, 2012
the question should be: do we have a regulator in this country?

does the nbc exist at all?

1 Like

Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by soloqy: 6:55pm On Jun 19, 2012
George_D: the question should be: do we have a regulator in this country?

does the nbc exist at all?

Abi? Because in the States, they may have been hit by some anti-competition law inquests by now...
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by Fiver: 8:11pm On Jun 19, 2012
Well as they say, when in rome....
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by Malix: 11:03pm On Jun 19, 2012
George_D: yeah, dstv is fond of doing this kind of thing! grin
Mr george,i agree wit u but its good for bizness grin
George_D: yeah, dstv is fond of doing this kind of thing! grin
Mr george,i agree wit u but its good for bizness
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 10:45am On Jun 20, 2012
malix,
yeah you're right. it's good for their business but bad for fta!
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by Americasman(m): 8:55pm On Jun 22, 2012
Run down startimes ke! Startimes is a Chinese firm. And we all know the Chinese of being masters of price war. There are starting with terrestrial and will gradually enter the main stream which is satellite broadcasting. STARTIMES THE GOODTIMES ARE HERE!
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by soloqy: 9:25pm On Jun 22, 2012
Americas_man: Run down startimes ke! Startimes is a Chinese firm. And we all know the Chinese of being masters of price war. There are starting with terrestrial and will gradually enter the main stream which is satellite broadcasting. STARTIMES THE GOODTIMES ARE HERE!

Not with Startime's current subscription fees vis-a-vis their channels. Its no price war.
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 9:32am On Jun 25, 2012
the chinese may well lose this one with the way things are going!
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by tivta(m): 9:40am On Jun 26, 2012
Startimes latest strategy is reducing the cost of their decoder to N3900.
The problem with that is, the best channels start at N2000 a month where as Gotvplus(Premium package) costs only N1500 per month.
Startimes will still sell but it will only be to the very less priviledge and those who dont know about gotv. Now if gotv goes on massìve campaign, the target audience for startimes will just be beggers on the street due to the low cost of their decoder.

1 Like

Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 9:11am On Jun 27, 2012
ha, ha, ha beggars indeed! grin
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by ohlala1: 5:30pm On Jul 05, 2012
If you know the funds at the disposal of the Chinese, you will know they are here for the long haul. Let the competition continue.
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 5:50pm On Jul 05, 2012
aye, i guess! grin
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by ugotuf(m): 6:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
Withour popcorn cups in our hands ,let's all sit tight and watch as things unfold,it promises to make an interesting movie.Head or tail,we are in a win-win situation.LOL!!!!
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by ochukoccna: 9:01pm On Jul 25, 2012
Startimes cannot add some stations like CNN in Nigeria because DSTV owns exclusive territorial rights
Dstv and south Africans as being known to be deceitful business people
My subscription expired 2 days back and I asked for Freeview but was told to go and resubscribe to receive DSTV signals again because their Freeview offering is no longer running [is that because HiTV is dead?
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 1:45pm On Jul 26, 2012
yeah, its very typical of dstv to do that. angry
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by khattab008: 3:21pm On Jul 26, 2012
It's bad NBC should sanction them or even threaten to withdraw thier license
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by tonardo(m): 12:39am On Jul 27, 2012
startimes can compete wit DSTV but my fear is Dstv may add supersports 3 in GOTV to draw attension,. while people will rush it because of
SS 3, later they will remove it and put SuperSport7,. you guys still remember dstvmobile? they ss3, later remove it.people start complain
b4 they manage 2 put ss10,.
i just smile exactly in GOTV...what did u think?

if i were startimes ,i shall try and get a good sports channels,good friegn movies channels,.then they shall succed,..
naija like sports,....

1 Like

Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by soloqy: 1:22pm On Jul 27, 2012
^^^^^^^ Even if na SS7 or SS10 or SS5 they add, it would be game over. SSselect plus any of those three would mean watching football well
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 10:46am On Aug 01, 2012
dstv knows how to play the disappearing act game very well, i guess. grin
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by isaco(m): 4:59pm On Aug 03, 2012
tivta: Startimes latest strategy is reducing the cost of their decoder to N3900.
The problem with that is, the best channels start at N2000 a month where as Gotvplus(Premium package) costs only N1500 per month.
Startimes will still sell but it will only be to the very less priviledge and those who dont know about gotv. Now if gotv goes on massìve campaign, the target audience for startimes will just be beggers on the street due to the low cost of their decoder.
i want drop my startime n get gotv because of startime no service problem in Lagos
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 6:39pm On Aug 03, 2012
up till now (even after two years) startimes is yet to arrive cities like wafi. isn't that strange?

before they know it, gotv will overtake them everywhere!

1 Like

Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by tivta(m): 11:18pm On Aug 03, 2012
Dstv has just increased their subscription.
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 12:47pm On Aug 04, 2012
tivta: Dstv has just increased their subscription.

Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by tivta(m): 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2012
George_D:

Check their facebook page.
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by soloqy: 11:54pm On Aug 04, 2012
They have. But if you renew subscription each month before it expires, you will pay even less than the current fee.
Re: Just Like They Did HITV, DSTV Is About To Run Startimes Out Of Business by GeorgeD1(m): 6:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
yeah, talk of playing on customers' intelligence. angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Has Tstv Failed Us? Is Tstv A Scam? / Abs 3 Sat (tstv Carrier) Has Been Shut Down / Sales Of Tstv Decoders Likely To Begin From January 31st

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.