Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,154 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa (1082 Views)

Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / What Is Going On With The Lagos Light Rail Project / Lagos Light Rail Will Be Ready In June – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa by Musiwa52: 8:40am On Jun 18, 2012
modification to lagos light train by musiwa

first of all, they should not have design the system the way. it was design..

the modification is that... because they place the station in the middle of two road. they need to put walkway above the roads..

and the correct process is to built the rail by the side of the road. and not between the road. train may shift track and kill people from that system..

there is also vibration issue. i doubt if they calculated the vibration very way.. some of the bridge already build before will be destroyed.. like the mile 2 bridge.

it cant hold the vibration for a long time.

you will experience crack on the road now because of vibration when it it is finished. if they have built it to the side of the road. they will not have had problem.

i have problem with the thickness of the rail carriers which will carry the train. they do not look thick, enough.

there will be overload on the train. and will not be able to hold the train for too long.
Re: Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa by MADEMANN: 11:56am On Jun 18, 2012
I am seeing a tragedy Train Crash soon.
Nigeria is in a Big mess...........
Re: Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa by Musiwa52: 2:52am On Jun 19, 2012
the truth is to build a walk way over the station.

you see, if you know bending moment and vibration.. you know that the carrier beam they made for the train, will have problem after threshold point.

if you understand bending moment very well. when you look at the height of the carrier beam and the fact that lagos has a large population. you will see that the threshold point was not well calculated..

another thing i see is,, there was no need to made the carrier beam that high. the lower it is, the better it become.

one other thing i see about the design.. it lack exit point along the track for that height.
Re: Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa by Musiwa52: 2:55am On Jun 19, 2012
the high of the beam , will increase vibration and make it unstable.. and because of the soil texture of lagos. and erosion. those carrier beam will not last for so long. erosion will remove the foundation.. the lower it is the better..
Re: Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 19, 2012
my goodness, I never knew Musiwa was a civil engr. Very good observation. What I realized with all transportation projects in Nigeria is that, the authorities don't carry out road safety audit before they begin construction of either pavements/highways or rail tracks. Even the environmental impact assesment is not thorough. Human life including that of animals is not taken seriously in Nigeria.
Re: Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 19, 2012
Musiwa,,,:
modification to lagos light train by musiwa

first of all, they should not have design the system the way. it was design..

the modification is that... because they place the station in the middle of two road. they need to put walkway above the roads..

and the correct process is to built the rail by the side of the road. and not between the road. train may shift track and kill people from that system..

there is also vibration issue. i doubt if they calculated the vibration very way.. some of the bridge already build before will be destroyed.. like the mile 2 bridge.

it cant hold the vibration for a long time.

you will experience crack on the road now because of vibration when it it is finished. if they have built it to the side of the road. they will not have had problem.

i have problem with the thickness of the rail carriers which will carry the train. they do not look thick, enough.

there will be overload on the train. and will not be able to hold the train for too long.

I totally disagree with you. From your post, I can see your so called modifications are based on pictures you've seen on the internet because, if you've actually been to the project site, you won't have written 99% of what you just wrote.

Lagos-Badagry expressway is my daily route, and I saw the development of the project from the very foundation.

First of All, I'm convinced that your modifications are based on internet pictures because you suggested a walkway above the roads. Everyone that passes that road knows that the stations have a pedestrian bridge linking it from both sides. The model of the finished station is boldly displayed at all the stations under construction.

Secondly, you have a problem with the thickness of the rail carriers. Are you for real? Please visit the site and stop basing your judgements on internet pictures.

Thirdly, you said you don't see the reason for making the carrier beam so high. For this reason alone, I'm more convinced you've never visited the project site. The tracks from Okokomaiko to Orile is being laid on the ground. The rail got elevated around Orile/Doyin because the tracks will have to go over a NETWORK OF FLYOVERS, roads and existing structures around the National Theatre axis; there's no way to buid the tracks to pass that area without making it high (or do you suggest the network of flyovers to be demolished so that the tracks can run on the ground?). Between Doyin and National Theatre, I don't see the need for an exit point.

Furthermore, you talk of Vibration, I expect Oshodi bridge and Ikeja airport bridge to have collapsed by now. Or have you forgotten they have rail tracks passing underneath? And the train generates even greater vibrations that the light rail.

And lastly, you still don't know what you are talking about because that area with elevated beams (Orile/Doyin to National Theatre) isn't prone to erosion (come to think of it, are bridges even built on seas?). The foundations for the beams are pretty soild, I observed everything during construction. I can get close and send you pictures if you want to see the thickness of the foundation.

Please get facts before giving your so called professional opinion. Learn to appreciate good things.

And before I get branded as one of Fashola's men, sorry I'm not. I hail from Anambra State - I appreciate a good thing when I see it. And moreover, this road will ease the stress for those of us that live on that axis.

Cheers!
Re: Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa by musiwa1: 10:57pm On Jun 19, 2012
v
Re: Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa by musiwa1: 10:58pm On Jun 19, 2012
g
Re: Modification To Lagos Light Train By Musiwa by musiwa1: 3:17pm On Jun 20, 2012
fff

(1) (Reply)

Curfew Relax In Kaduna / Best Nigerian Leader / Johnson Thomas Umunakwe Agulyi-ironsi: The Man Called Ironside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.