Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,271 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments (4666 Views)

Three Arguments For God's Existence / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" / A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by biggjoe(m): 1:41pm On Apr 03, 2006
In this forum and many other places, catholics have come under attacks from people of other denominations crictisizing or questioning several doctrines and practises of the catholic church. This is not new and its is not also strange.The question is why will they always be doing this. what do they plan to achieve and I have the answer to that; they want to justify breaking away or in some cases to try to add more members to their congregation. These attacks normally come in the guise of an innocent question coated with sarcasm. Trying to answer such questions will always lead one to arguments with them which is what they really wanted. My advise to all true and strong catholics is to try as much as possible to avoid these arguments.

Remember, they will stir you with the statement that something, is not biblical. They have forgotten that the bible itself came from catholicism. Also they cannot in clear terms tell us why the bible must dictate every thing that we do in this world. The people that wrote the new testament had no idea that they were writing the bible and it was catholic church that put all of it together because of the holy spirit inspiration that guided the writers. Yet the writers did not in any terms command us that after them, the bible will be the only thing that will guide us. Christ's instruction to the apostles that whatever they bind on earth is bound in heaven is the driving force behind many catholic doctrines. Also, happened to the holy spirit he promised that will be with them after he had gone. Yes, Bible is inspirational and is supposed to be used as our guide to to pious life in christ which is all meant to lead us to christ. So i am not saying that the bible is not necessary. Infact its is crucial to every christian's salvation. So fellow catholics i urge you to pick up your bible once again or buy a new one if you don't have any.

Even the bible said it that in the latter days, many misinterpretaion of the bible will surface. Most times, these protestants will overlook some practices in their own church which is unbiblical. For instance they have not been able to answer convincingly a question in the thread before this one where the author asked why christians worship on sunday instead of saturday. Yet there is no place in the bible old or new testament where we were commanded to change the day of worship to sunday. Even christ himself worshipped on saturdays. Events that took place after christ's death necessitated that christians worship on sundays. Most of them also neglect the directions that people will dress decenly in the house of God. Their ladies wear anything they like to church and they will tell you that it is outward and that it is only what is in the heart that matters. They ordain women pastors but there was an instruction against it.

These are just but few and im not writing this to start another argument. I only want to call on catholics to avoid these arguments. the bible itself condemned involving in protracted arguments like that. The catholic church is far above all of the arguments and the people who initiate them. But the church is not arguing with anybody. The breakout of denominations started with wrong interpretaion of the bible. The have church spent so much resourses in finding out the real interpretation of the bible and many other events not recorded in the Bible. These protestants often argue with their knowledge of the English bible but the church have in the past trained people to learn the original tongue with which the bible was written and also understand the various dialects of the writters and these languages/dialects are extinct today yet the catholic church have people that can speak and understand them.

These people tend to be hypocritical sometimes. They will condemn you instantly for thinking that a pastor's healing power might be fake but they will also say that Mary is just a vessel that brought forth Jesus Christ. They say that Mary is only addressed as Mother of the Lord and not God. Did Lord make her less dignified? If a holy spirit filled Elizabeth honored her, who are these protestants.

So brethren I urge you to avoid these arguments.What you should focus on is to live your life in a way that will further propel the gospel of the Lord. You should understand u cannot convince annybody with arguments. The arguments cannot stop, it started centuries ago. And even when u seem to be making your point theres always another thing they will say to diusregart them. No matter the length and the soundness. Have you seen anyone converted with argument. The answer is no. Your life and attitude speaks louder than any public address system. No matter how many times they claim to be born, you as a baptised and practising catholic is in the Lord. You profess in the Lord everyday you attend mass. Pray for the protestants too and never condemn them as there are many of them that will be going to heaven with good ones amongst us.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by welborn(m): 10:40pm On Apr 04, 2006
I would not have sought to post a reply but for the misrepresentations that you've introduced through the back door to paint others black while your own ship remains unsettled in the turbulence of a system you have not been able to justify.

biggjoe:

In this forum and many other places, catholics have come under attacks from people of other denominations crictisizing or questioning several doctrines and practises of the catholic church. This is not new and its is not also strange.The question is why will they always be doing this. what do they plan to achieve and I have the answer to that; they want to justify breaking away or in some cases to try to add more members to their congregation. These attacks normally come in the guise of an innocent question coated with sarcasm. Trying to answer such questions will always lead one to arguments with them which is what they really wanted. My advise to all true and strong catholics is to try as much as possible to avoid these arguments.

First, you have to understand that not everyone who asks a question is necessarily trying to draw out an argument or seeking to criticize the practices of the Catholic Church. If these practices are untenable, questions must be asked, whether or not you have nightmares about them. Even godly leaders who led God's people in the past did not shy away from questions intended to provide a better understanding of God's ways. Moses, for example, in establishing the passover service of the Lord, anticipated that children would ask their parents questions:

"And when your children say to you, 'What do you mean by this service?' You shall say,
         'It is the sacrifice of the LORD's Passover, for he passed over the houses of the people of
          Israel in Egypt, when he struck the Egyptians but spared our houses.'" And the people
          bowed their heads and worshiped." (Exo 12:26-27).

Notice three things in Moses' answer: (a) first, he states the answer - "It is the sacrifice, " (b) next, he explains the answer - "for he passed over, " (c) then he verifies the answer with undeniable history without exaggerations - "when he struck the Egyptians, ". Is it such a difficult thing for you Catholics to follow the same example?

Jesus did not encourage people to just follow Him gullibly without understanding what they were committing their lives to. That's why He went so far as to encourage them to "Hear, and understand" (Matt.15:10). The apostle Paul did not get angry when people asked him questions, and he encouraged them to check out his doctrines by comparing them with the Scriptures - the OT (Acts 17:11 - "searched the scriptures daily". . .& I Cor.15:3 - "Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures"wink.

To suggest that asking questions is a way of seeking to justify a breakaway from Catholicism or add members to protestant denominations is a weak and beggarly propaganda only too reminiscent of those who are afraid of defending their untenable position. People leave a system when they discover the truth of God's Word - for example, salvation is a free gift by faith in Jesus Christ whose blood alone atones for sin (contrary to penance, purgatory and the indulgences sold to the repentant that offered them no saving security for heaven). In so many denominations, there have been abuses that cannot be condoned by God - and people left them to seek fellowship where God's truth is preached without compromise. It was not too long ago that the rumour of sexual abuses and pedophilia perversions came to light in the Catholic Church, and many who could no longer tolerate these excesses left to seek God's truth in other Christian churches. Jesus said you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free (John 8:32). When people get involved in idolatory and other questionable practices that they hold as their doctrines and traditions, God commands that we come out from among them and touch not the unclean thing (II Cor. 6:16-17).

biggjoe:

These are just but few and im not writing this to start another argument. I only want to call on catholics to avoid these arguments. the bible itself condemned involving in protracted arguments like that. The catholic church is far above all of the arguments and the people who initiate them. But the church is not arguing with anybody. The breakout of denominations started with wrong interpretaion of the bible. The have church spent so much resourses in finding out the real interpretation of the bible and many other events not recorded in the Bible. These protestants often argue with their knowledge of the English bible but the church have in the past trained people to learn the original tongue with which the bible was written and also understand the various dialects of the writters and these languages/dialects are extinct today yet the catholic church have people that can speak and understand them.

That's why I marvel at your bias. You ferment an argument and just want to run away by hoping no one's capable of answering your acrid misrepresentations. When you suppose that the Catholic Church has trained people in the original languages of the Bible, how about the fact that in the real world most protestant seminaries and theological institutes have produced fine scholars who match the scholarship of Catholicism? The breakout of denominations that you often claim show your ignorance of Church history. If the Catholic Church has always been right, how do you explain the pedophilia of Catholic bishops in America? How do you explain the murder of innocent people whose only crime was to possess, read the Bible and seek to follow God in all simplicity - the Waldensians in the 12th and 13th century as an example? Why would anyone want to remain in such heinous system - Catholic, Protestant or otherwise? God didn't ask us to come out of Christianity - He says when churches start derailing we are bound to come out of them - Rev. 18:4.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by welborn(m): 11:01pm On Apr 04, 2006
biggjoe:

Remember, they will stir you with the statement that something, is not biblical. They have forgotten that the bible itself came from catholicism. Also they cannot in clear terms tell us why the bible must dictate every thing that we do in this world. The people that wrote the new testament had no idea that they were writing the bible and it was catholic church that put all of it together because of the holy spirit inspiration that guided the writers. Yet the writers did not in any terms command us that after them, the bible will be the only thing that will guide us. Christ's instruction to the apostles that whatever they bind on earth is bound in heaven is the driving force behind many catholic doctrines. Also, happened to the holy spirit he promised that will be with them after he had gone. Yes, Bible is inspirational and is supposed to be used as our guide to to pious life in christ which is all meant to lead us to christ. So i am not saying that the bible is not necessary. Infact its is crucial to every christian's salvation. So fellow catholics i urge you to pick up your bible once again or buy a new one if you don't have any.

It amazes me how you sound typically like a desperate politician distorting facts to cushion your prejudices. Let's even for a moment concede that "the bible itself came from catholicism" (as if Catholicism inspired the Bible), I cannot understand how or why Catholics like you cannot trust the same Bible you claim to have given us - and that is a big shame! It is not evangelical Christians who mistrust God's Word; rather, it is the same Catholic Church that prides itself with that tattered slogan who no longer swear by the truth of the Bible (see sample here:  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html ). The Bible states that God created the world; the "infallible" Pope (John Paul II) preferred evolution instead (http://www.cuttingedge.org/news/n1034.html ).
The Bible encourages believers to read it; several popes in the past have pronounced as heresy and blasphemy to read it, claiming that it would do more harm than good (http://www.baptistpillar.com/bd0203.htm ). If Peter was the first Pope (as surely he was not), he certainly had a wife (Matt. 8:14); Catholicism forbids marriage and requires celibacy for its priests. And all these matters are in the Bible you Catholics gave the world and yet don't believe in it yourselves? Shame!

The importance of regulating everything we do in worship and the Christian life is underscored by Christ Himself - not the Tradition of Catholicism: "But He answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." (Matt.4:4). He was quoting Deut. 8:3, the same book of the Bible where Moses warned the people time and again to not turn aside from, or add to, God's commandments. When Jesus denounced the Jews of His day for their traditions against the commandments of God, He quoted again from Deuteronomy (compare Matt. 15:4 and Deut.5:16 & Lev. 20:9). If it was not important to keep to God's Word, there would be no need for the Bible at all in the first place, and the Catholic Church would not have needed to engage in producing a Bible it does not believe in nor practice in the first instance.

Whether or not the inspired writers knew they were producing Scripture, at least Paul knew he was instrumental in writing parts of the New Testament as the inspired Word of God (I Cor. 14:37; II Cor. 1:13; Col. 1:25). Peter also classed Paul's writings among the 'other scriptures' (II Pet. 3:15-16). When Christ stated that whatever the apostles bound of earth it was recognised as binding in heaven, He did not stretch it to include heresy. So, if anyone was binding a heresy or tradition that conflicted with or contradicted God's ways, by all means we ought to question and reprove such, regardless the 'infallible authority' such a person might claim from any source.

biggjoe:

Even the bible said it that in the latter days, many misinterpretaion of the bible will surface. Most times, these protestants will overlook some practices in their own church which is unbiblical. For instance they have not been able to answer convincingly a question in the thread before this one where the author asked why christians worship on sunday instead of saturday. Yet there is no place in the bible old or new testament where we were commanded to change the day of worship to sunday. Even christ himself worshipped on saturdays. Events that took place after christ's death necessitated that christians worship on sundays. Most of them also neglect the directions that people will dress decenly in the house of God. Their ladies wear anything they like to church and they will tell you that it is outward and that it is only what is in the heart that matters. They ordain women pastors but there was an instruction against it. 

So what is the force of your argument? If Christ worshipped on Saturdays, why do you Catholics choose Sundays for worship instead of Saturdays, since there is no place where you were commanded to change the day of worship? You posited that events that took place after Christ's death necessitated that Christians worship on Sundays - and you thereby think you've convincingly answered the question, abi? Clap for you! I'll offer you that Christians did not switch to Sunday because of certain events after Christ's death. Rather, the first day of the week was the day Christ rose from the grave - and that was the main reason believers celebrated the victory of Christ over Satan, sin and death (see Mark 16:9; Acts 20:7 and I Cor. 16:2). Believers are supposed to celebrate a living Christ who rose from the dead (Rev. 1:18) and the NT shows overwhelmingly that the first day of the week was their normal day of worship.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by welborn(m): 11:37pm On Apr 04, 2006
biggjoe:

These people tend to be hypocritical sometimes. They will condemn you instantly for thinking that a pastor's healing power might be fake but they will also say that Mary is just a vessel that brought forth Jesus Christ. They say that Mary is only addressed as Mother of the Lord and not God. Did Lord make her less dignified? If a holy spirit filled Elizabeth honored her, who are these protestants.

This is what necessitated my responses - your labelling as 'hypocritical' those who do not agree with you. As far as I've not condemned a pastor's healing power as fake, the title that Catholics accord Mary as 'mother of God' would have made sense only if God Himself had inspired it to be written in any verse in the Scriptures. Did Elizabeth indeed call her that in Luke 1:45? If a Holy Spirit-filled Elizabeth honoured Mary by calling her 'mother of God', no one would have wondered about it. I wonder why by the same rule Catholics shrink from honouring themselves with the titles of 'brother of God' or 'sister of God' or 'mother of God' according to Mark 3: 35. So, who is the hypocrite?

I have said it before: it is a healthy practice to "not think of men above what is written" - I Cor. 4:16. It is this so-called tradition of going beyond the written word in crucial matters that lead people to reject God's commandments and give men titles that are either expressly forbidden or which are in direct contravention of Scripture. Jesus said not to call anyone on earth "Father" - for believers have only one Father who is in heaven (Matt. 23:9); but what do we see happening around your circles?

biggjoe:

So brethren I urge you to avoid these arguments.What you should focus on is to live your life in a way that will further propel the gospel of the Lord. You should understand u cannot convince annybody with arguments. The arguments cannot stop, it started centuries ago. And even when u seem to be making your point theres always another thing they will say to diusregart them. No matter the length and the soundness. Have you seen anyone converted with argument. The answer is no. Your life and attitude speaks louder than any public address system. No matter how many times they claim to be born, you as a baptised and practising catholic is in the Lord. You profess in the Lord everyday you attend mass. Pray for the protestants too and never condemn them as there are many of them that will be going to heaven with good ones amongst us.

Typical of Catholics who cannot make sense of their practices and want to hide behind every excuse to not face up to the truth of the Bible that Catholicism gave the world. You condemn protestants by calling them hypocrites and cast aspersions on them - then you come back with a double talk of "never condemn them." Be assured, I'm praying for the likes of you - because you realy need to unload yourself off your biases and seek God's truth as you have advised other Catholics to do: "I urge you to pick up your Bible once again" - and READ IT!
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by Seun(m): 3:40am On Apr 05, 2006
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by bluenubian(f): 5:56am On Apr 05, 2006
@biggjoe
as a proud catholic, i feel u on this one
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by lioness(f): 8:51am On Apr 05, 2006
Hmmm, christains! christains!! christains!!!

What baffles me is how much "we" christains ALWAYS fight ourselves in bid of "whose denomination is a better worshipper", whose denomination knows God more or is perfect. SUCH A LARGE PITY.

Lets face it. As long as you believe in Jesus Christ and you walk in his ways, your a christain, your a believer, you are God's child. Whether catholic, anglican, pentecostal, baptist, methodist etc. As bad as it bites, WE ARE ALL THE SAME. NO SINGLE ONE IS BETTER.

Believe it or not, there are folks out there and even on NL that dont give a crap about Jesus or God or christainity. And each time "we" christains make an ass of ourselves on NL, arguing unneccessarily about "who know God and bible pass", confusing and convincing ourselves, we give unbelivers a picture of confused people who dont know what they are doing.

On the last day, are we going to be juded by our denominations??
In the bible days, did they worship God by denominations
Sometimes i feel these denomination S hit is a way of the devil to set confusion among christains.
As long as we keep looking at ourselves, we would never find time to bring in unbelievers from outside.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by mlksbaby(f): 9:13am On Apr 05, 2006
As long as a believer calls his brethren hypocrites and pretend he wasn't judging, unbels will continue to watch as spectators.

Christianity is a faith with divine integrity - it's not an anyhow-we-see-it-fits-us type of thing. God is not the author of confusion, and that's something we should demonstrate in the spirit of love. Let's look at it this way: "we believe in Jesus Christ, does it matter HOW we follow Him?" The answer is self-evident.

Let's not be ashamed to be Christians. . . even more, let's not be reluctant in demonstrating the integrity of the Lordship of Jesus Christ to the glory of God the Father.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by TV01(m): 9:58am On Apr 05, 2006
Hi Lioness,

You raised some pertinent questions in your post. That true believers would ponder them and follow to the logical conclusion. The true church is not named (Just like our the moon, theres just the one so we didn't bother naming it!). The spirit that fosters denominationalism is that same spirit behind tribalism, racism, apartheid sectarianism etc. etc. Hear Paul;

1 Corinthians 1:10 ~ Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe's household, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul," or "I am of Apollos," or "I am of Cephas," or "I am of Christ." 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

The denominationalism that is rampant today is that same issue left unchecked. If you are following the "Man/Woman of God", the prophet or the apostle, the GO or any such like, you may not be following Christ.
What you see is evidence of walking after the flesh and not the spirit (Galatians 5:19-20).

Catholics are Catholics,
Anglicans are Anglicans
Pentecostals are Pentecostals
Mormons are Mormons (and repeat ad infinitum for all denominations/traditions)
Followers of the Lord Jesus Christ are Christians, pure and simple.

Posts regards denominational differences/superiority are by defenders of tradition. Real Christians are Christian apologists. What I am hearing are Catholic apologists, Protestant apologists (repeat as before).

As much as the charges raised against Catholicism are valid (and I believe they are), the same charges too varying or in differing degrees can be legitimately raised against all denominations.

And yes Lioness you are right, the enemy's hand is in this.
But never fear "The Lord knows those who are His"
Take His Word for it "come out of her My people"

God bless
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by medube(m): 10:25am On Apr 05, 2006
One thing I would like to understand is why is it that everything about the Catholic doctrine from the way they worship, to the way they practice, to even their prayer always have to be an issue of great interest, questioning and debate?
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by legry(m): 5:00pm On Apr 05, 2006
@Medube Ive asked my self the same question over and over again,the only answer i come up with comes down to insecurity in religious belives, You know my religion is right and all religions are wrong is the mentality for most religious people . Everyone is attacking the other and so many are defending themselves, everyone is right and everyone is wrong, Medube i enjoy it though cause it gives me good arguments to listen too and read about, Heck i still have'nt got a logical answer to the theory(or the Mary "Mother of God Theology) of Mary. So as far as all these arguments are around people like me are okay, What are we without knowledge wink.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by Idekeson(m): 8:46pm On Apr 05, 2006
It amazes me how all these mushroom religious outfits should be more active in tainting the Catholic church, while the world is the middle of a religious war with Islamic fundamentalist. Left to Al Queda nobody will be able to argue wether the the blessed Virgin Mary should be adored or not. Born again Christians ought to go preach to the Shiites and Sunnis to become Christians instead of preaching to Catholics to become "perfect Christians".
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by IAH(f): 8:50pm On Apr 05, 2006
Bless you, Idekeson. They are just making other religions to be mocking Christianity that we are always in conflict with one another whereas in all other religions they are one. A muslim can go to pray in any mosque all over the world but Christians? "I don't worship here", "I can't go to that church" ,"I hate Catholics", "I hate Pentecostals", etc. I'm also guilty sha. cry

Catholics Rock! cheesy
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by mlksbaby(f): 9:22pm On Apr 05, 2006
IAH:

They are just making other religions to be mocking Christianity that we are always in conflict with one another whereas in all other religions they are one.

It's not true that in all other religions they are one. People used to think that Muslims are one until the recent bombing of one of the most revered mosques in Iraq by Muslims themselves and the resultant tensions and clashes between the Shiites and Sunnis. Again, there is a vast difference between the Taoism of the West and that practised in China and Taiwan. Westernised Hinduism contrasts sharply with that of the Orients. Even among atheists, there is no consensus definition by atheists themselves as to what is atheism. The unity that many people talk about is merely artificial and cosmetic until one looks more closely into each system.

I'm not an advocate for disunity and schisms, but I submit that the unity of the Spirit that God established for Christians is not to be pursued at the expense of revealed truth - afterall, when Jesus prayed about unity among believers, He based it on God's truth (John 17:17). Where is the unity if Christians are all speaking different things, especially when such things are outside God's revealed truth? How can people who claim to be "one and the same" disagree between themselves as to whether God created the world or it came about by evolution? How can unity be established when some Christians doubt the virgin birth of Christ, deny the resurrection, question God's authority, while others believe just the opposite? How do we enjoy or foster unity when a believer calls others hypocrites and pretends he was not judging them?

Disunity among Christians didn't take God by surprise, and He gave recommendations to the problem for those who care.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by Dauda(m): 3:17am On Apr 06, 2006
I'm catholic and proud. I'll not trade that for any other religion or another xtian denomination.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by EddyTells(m): 9:05am On Apr 06, 2006
I am a pentecostal
I am born again
i am spirit filled
Tongue talking

I would never give it up for any denomination.

rebababababrastat bagarafvsnsk A.K.A if u dont like it, go to hell
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by EddyTells(m): 9:08am On Apr 06, 2006
PENTECOSTALS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by gbadex1(m): 5:25pm On Apr 06, 2006
you know what suprises me most about this thread? it is the fact that no one reacted or responded to welborn's posts replying biggjoe word for word. this confirms one thing. people want to hear only what sounds pleasing to their ears. Truly, the truth is bitter pill which most of you here don't want to swallow
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by Idekeson(m): 8:36pm On Apr 06, 2006
gbade. x:

you know what suprises me most about this thread? it is the fact that no one reacted or responded to welborn's posts replying biggjoe word for word. this confirms one thing. people want to hear only what sounds pleasing to their ears. Truly, the truth is bitter pill which most of you here don't want to swallow

The subject of the thread is "Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments" and I'm heeding to it. I'll rather not engage my anointed fellows in frivolous arguments on Catholic practices, while such valuable time can be spent teaching non Christians the virtues of Christ.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by 4getme1(m): 9:29pm On Apr 06, 2006
Idekeson:

The subject of the thread is "Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments" and I'm heeding to it. I'll rather not engage my anointed fellows in frivolous arguments on Catholic practices, while such valuable time can be spent teaching non Christians the virtues of Christ.

You should've told that to biggjoe from the onset. You didn't need to keep coming back with comments polarised towards Catholicism if you're avoiding an argument. How do you go round avoiding an argument after describing non-Catholics as "mushroom religious outfits" and think you'll be applauded for such sarcasm? Be encouraged - do the same thing you asked 'born again Christians' to do - "go preach to the Shiites and Sunnis to become Christians" and don't just sound it. . . go to the very Al Queda cells yourself and preach to them as you advise those mushroom religious outfits to do.

@gbade, I share the same keen observation as yours. It's also amazing that not up to 20 views were recorded after biggjoe posted his missive; however, following welborn's rejoinders ('word for word' - as you rightly observed it), I returned a few times to find that over 127 new views were recorded in a single day alone! Even so, not a single reaction or response to welborn's. Is something missing somewhere? To me, the gentleman really knew his onions and intelligently put his views across.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by prettyH(f): 1:33am On Apr 07, 2006
gbade. x:

, And your point been,

People don't understand that religion is a sensitive issue. Every thread on the religion forum goes on and on with more enemies made than friends so its always better to stay clear.
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by shockreaction(m): 1:21pm On Apr 08, 2006
@lionness: It's spelt "Christians", not christains tongue

Anyway, I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this argument. Goodbye. grin
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by bluenubian(f): 6:45pm On Apr 08, 2006
@eddy tells
rabbabbabbbabbxxvt, ar u enjoying it cause im speaking in tongue right now, bull craaaap, u can even type it, now i know i m in d twilight zone
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by lioness(f): 9:28am On Apr 11, 2006
@ Shockreaction, you shouldnt have said you had nothing to contribute because you just did. You corrected the spelling of the word christians. Atleast your the spellcheck of this thread.
Sad though  undecided

shockreaction:

@lionness: It's spelt "Christians", not christains tongue

Anyway, I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this argument. Goodbye. grin
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by EddyTells(m): 9:36am On Apr 11, 2006
oh girl, i cld go forever speaking in tongues.
Believe it, your in the twlight zone.
Let me interpret what you spoke. You said Bluenubian is a biatch grin
And i totally agree

PENTECOSTAL TILL I DIE. wink

bluenubian:

@eddy tells
rabbabbabbbabbxxvt, ar u enjoying it cause im speaking in tongue right now, bull craaaap, u can even type it, now i know i m in d twilight zone
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by ijele(m): 1:28pm On Apr 17, 2006
Eddy Tells:

oh girl, i cld go forever speaking in tongues.
Believe it, your in the twlight zone.
Let me interpret what you spoke. You said Bluenubian is a biatch  grin
And i totally agree

PENTECOSTAL TILL I DIE.  wink

Christ said ''Not all who call me Lord! Lord! will Inherit the Kingdom of God but Those who do will of of My Father(GOD) who is in Heaven.so Dear if you like speak in tongue or be pentecostal for life,If the truth is not found in you,you are as good as Hell!
Remember how Christ taught us to pray and He did show it as example throught his life on Earth Becareful on how you said you speak in tongues '' Thou Shall Not Use The Name of God in Vain!
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by welborn(m): 1:37pm On Apr 17, 2006
@ ijele, my dear, slow down. Before you begin to rush people to HELL, take a good, hard look at yourself. In the same way, if you like teach all you know and try to correct people about speaking in tongues and pentecostalism, if the truth is not found in you, you are as good as ___ lipsrsealed

Okay, just kidding with you. wink But seriously, let's calm down the heat and be slow, really sslloooooooooooowww, in clobbering our brethren with HELL! Good point you raised about not using the name of God in vain - let us not even take the grace of God in vain (II Cor. 6:1) or any other thing about God's ways in vain. God help me to love everyone more and more.

Kind regards cheesy
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by ijele(m): 2:17pm On Apr 17, 2006
[b]@welborn you re right when you said ''I have to take a hard on myself before I try to crticize or perhaps judge others''
But let me put this clear that; Am not saying am perfect nor crticizing/judging others,but am saying let's walk in the light of the truth!

God is Light and emanates for everyone to draw him closer,so everyone does on its own respective ways but Who draws the finer and purified light. Jesus christ mission on earth is to direct Mankinds closer to God in the right path! He showed it through his Teachings Examples! God is Divine Spirit and Must be worship in Truth and Spirit and Not with Emotions!

Christ said when we pray, Go into Thy Closest and pray to your Father who listens and hears In secret. ''Do not pray like Hypocrites''   Even when he (Christ) filled with Holy spirit during his baptism he did spoke in Tonuges, During his prayer in mountains and Gardens he did not pray in tongues!

Am not saying Speaking in tongues is wrong,Hell No! Speaking in tongues is a gift from the Holy spirit for the Disciples during their Early mission to convert many to christainity and one should be absolute careful when speaking in tongues! and not make mockery of God (knowingly or Unknowingly). There re a lot of misconception about speaking tongues in modern christainity
And the drama falling down or crying during the worship of God! Don't let Emotions control you ( (Remember normal music concert or Movies can make you feel high,Gyrate or cry; that's an examples of what Emotions can do)

let us seek the will of God and learn how to worship him in truth and spirit![/b]
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by welborn(m): 2:33pm On Apr 17, 2006
Thank you for your response. You captured a point in this line:

ijele:

let us seek the will of God and learn how to worship him in truth and spirit!

God bless. wink

PS.
Sorry for asking, but I wonder at your style at emboldening everything you type. No hurts to me, but I'm just curious. Again, I observed a few typos, for I guess you might have meant 'Spirit' (singular), not 'Spirit[b]s[/b]' (plural) when speaking of God (see John 4:24) - perhaps, you might like to take another look at this line:

ijele:

God is Divine Sprit[b]s[/b] and Must be worship in Truth and Sprit[b]s[/b] and Not with Emotions!

Regards cheesy
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by ijele(m): 3:16pm On Apr 17, 2006
Thanks for your correction, I really appreciate,I will correct it immediately
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by biggjoe(m): 1:38pm On Apr 19, 2006
These people will always find a way of proving you right withouth knowing it. The only point they picked in my post is where they said i called them hypocrites but still (sadly though) they are proving me right. They cannot even prove that those points on which I based my calling them that is false. Is it the word that is too harsh? For example, what difference does it make calling a robber a robber and calling him a person who takes people's things by force.

All the same, my thread is not supposed to result in the massive arguments it created but in a forum of intelligent people like nairaland one can never rule out such things here.

I will also advise those that point to abuse in the US catholic diocese to stop being childish. Is it the church in America that did those things or individuals or did the church support what they did. More gruesome acts is going on in other churches elsewhere but these churches are too insignificant for such publicities.
And who said Peter is not the first Pope? do you need the complete list?
Re: Please Catholics, Avoid These Arguments by lioness(f): 1:43pm On Apr 19, 2006
sweetheart, apart from your family, your church is it that builds your morals and characters, ethics and perspective to life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Living Faith Church Is 30 / Picture Of Jewish Mother Hugging Her Daugher Seconds B4 Execution / Pst. Paul Rika's Revelation About Pastor W.F Kumuyi Of Deeper Life Bible Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.