Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? (852 Views)

Agatu Killings: Benue Threatens Reprisal, Urges Fg’s Intervention / Patience Jonathan Floors Aisha Buhari's Sympathisers In Court / Reprisal Attacks In Plateau Claim More Lives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Saifullah01: 9:02pm On Jun 18, 2012
It is no news that Muslims are casualties to BH as well as xtians if not more (e.g damaturu cattle mkt, Kano FGC, yola, kaduna sardauna crescent etc all these cases and more had more Muslim casualties). So it is a known fact that BH is a common enemy to nigerians and a mutual enemy to Muslims and xtians.

Yesterday, the I read and heard media reports that those caught up in the kaduna reprisal attacks where 'suspected BH sympathisers' shocked really? Were the innocent souls travelling from Abuja to kaduna who were killed at the gonin gora BH sympathisers? Or was it the innocent cobblers and beggars slaughtered at mostly xtian settlements of television and the like?

I don't know but if this is the kind of media coverage we get, the one which fans and encourage sectarianism, then we are in for a big jolt. Innocent people were killed by BH and xtian youths, yet the media calls some innocent and others BH sympathisers. Based on what criteria? Did they interview the dead?

If I had found this subtle incitement on NL I wouldn't bother commenting, but for our national dailies to be spewing unguarded and inciteful trash, that calls for concern.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Beaf: 9:37pm On Jun 18, 2012
It is wrong to label all the dead as boko haram sympathisers. The media houses should understand the sensitivity of the language they put out; they are not in a position to declare anyone to be a boko haram sympathiser. Only the security services can do so.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by DuduNegro: 11:12pm On Jun 18, 2012
Beaf: It is wrong to label all the dead as boko haram sympathisers. The media houses should understand the sensitivity of the language they put out; they are not in a position to declare anyone to be a boko haram sympathiser. Only the security services can do so.

. . . You are a buffon! See how Saifullah used political spin to scare the shit out of your gut and got you to compromise on your erstwhile fury and rage against the bokoharam sympathizers.

You fume and gallivant about on NL in your self-nominated role as the advocate for justice and penitence against bokoharam sympathizers, but now you are faced with an opportunity to stand on your ground and defend your position but here you are yielding to Saifullah. I guess Saifu is a Northern warrior.

. . . Creek slowpoke!
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Beaf: 11:17pm On Jun 18, 2012
--Beaf ignores an attention seeking fool--
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Kobojunkie: 11:21pm On Jun 18, 2012
Saifullah01: Yesterday, the I read and heard media reports that those caught up in the kaduna reprisal attacks where 'suspected BH sympathisers' shocked really? Were the innocent souls travelling from Abuja to kaduna who were killed at the gonin gora BH sympathisers? Or was it the innocent cobblers and beggars slaughtered at mostly xtian settlements of television and the like?

While I am not here to hold brief for these kin 'yeye' journalists and reporters, since I didn't here the use of the phrase, I am moved to ask if it is not the case that the @Poster misunderstood the context in which it was used? Probably said from the perspective of the killer "Christian" youths, it would sort of make sense to assume that these kids believed at the time of their killing these people, that those they were BH sympathizers, in the much the same way that the killer "muslim" youths on the other side assumed that everyone who did not, probably wear their sect badge at the time of the lynching was open game.

Again, I just dey ask!
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Tyche(m): 11:22pm On Jun 18, 2012
Op, where do you hear/listen to your news? Only you seems to have noticed this.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by DuduNegro: 11:25pm On Jun 18, 2012
Hey Saifu,

Listen to me. . . when bokoharam enter Church and blow everyone up, including children nursing on their mother's b r e a s t s, no Northern element thought it wise to foresee a damning reprisal from Christians.

In the beginning boko was using terrorism, but I believe that their actions, propagandas, ideologies and resolve, when added together will show that they are on a mission to wipe out the Christian ideology from the Northern territory. There are two things mankind go to war for. . . territorial dispute and ideological dispute. No person go to war for money or for food or for clothings or shelter. ok?

So bokoharam has incited an ideological war and in wars everything is game - the guilty and the innocent bystander!

I want to remind you that no one understood this better than OPC. You recall what they promised if boko step foot in Yorubaland? Every Hausa and Fulani in Yoruba territory is game!

Do not blame the media, blame the tonguebaggers in the North, who under the cloak of bokoharam are hoping for a collateral victory in their political ambition to prolong what they erroneously call their birthright.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Kobojunkie: 11:30pm On Jun 18, 2012
I don't believe Boko Haram is behind all these killings. It is my belief that criminal groups, politicians etc have jumped in to take advantage of the chaos.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Saifullah01: 1:13am On Jun 19, 2012
"The state government promptly declared a 24-hour curfew to arrest the slide into anarchy[b] as youths attacked people suspected to have links or were sympathetic to the cause of Boko[/b] Haram, the terrorist organisation, which many suspected of masterminding the attacks."
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/scores-killed-in-kaduna-zaria-bombings-reprisals/118205/

Imagine this crap reporting from thisday for that mater! I also saw this allegation on other news papers, and other follow follow radio stations... It's just annoying, imagine some one who lost a family on the Abuja kaduna highway reading this poo. My point is as soon as the media start taking sides, they are fanning sectarianism. BH should be condemned so also should the xtian reprisal and any other crime for that matter..

@ dudu, I have nothing to say to you than to ask how old u are, and if you have ever left your region before? Coz ur reasoning is deficient (with all due respect)
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Kobojunkie: 1:51am On Jun 19, 2012
Saifullah01: "The state government promptly declared a 24-hour curfew to arrest the slide into anarchy as youths attacked people suspected to have links or were sympathetic to the cause of Boko Haram, the terrorist organisation, which many suspected of masterminding the attacks."
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/scores-killed-in-kaduna-zaria-bombings-reprisals/118205/

Imagine this crap reporting from thisday for that mater! I also saw this allegation on other news papers, and other follow follow radio stations... It's just annoying, imagine some one who lost a family on the Abuja kaduna highway reading this poo. My point is as soon as the media start taking sides, they are fanning sectarianism. BH should be condemned so also should the xtian reprisal and any other crime for that matter..

a) It is not 100% that Boko Haram in responsible. I mean sure some group claimed they were Boko Haram, and was responsible but there are doubts.

b) I feel this is as I suspected. @Poster, the article does say those attacked were those [b]SUSPECTED [/b]to be linked, or sympathetic to group. Do you have evidence to show that these youths went after, and killed innocent people for the cause of it?
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by DuduNegro: 6:31am On Jun 19, 2012
Saifullah01: "The state government promptly declared a 24-hour curfew to arrest the slide into anarchy[b] as youths attacked people suspected to have links or were sympathetic to the cause of Boko[/b] Haram, the terrorist organisation, which many suspected of masterminding the attacks."

@ dudu, I have nothing to say to you than to ask how old u are, and if you have ever left your region before? Coz ur reasoning is deficient (with all due respect)

Saifullah,

I do not parse words and I do not solicit emotions, I speak to the truth and let the conscience treat itself. The North is not the first to experience civil crisis. The West from time to time burst open in fatal political battles but its always targeted at itself, except in two or so times where they had been reprisals for attacks by others but the West is never the first to attack others on ideological grounds.

The South has had its own share and it was targeted against government and oil corporations.

Why, since 1945, has the North continued to target other people for ideological difference? The Northern blood is not sacred! Thousands of Igbos have died between 2011 and 2012 alone because their religious practice differ from yours. Thousands more are dislocated from their means of livelihood and families separated. So what's the alarm over 10 or 20 Northerners labelled and killed for sympathizing with boko?

You are sensitive to what these Northerners are called but insensitive to the spilled blood of the Christian victims.

Show me one post in your name condemning boko.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Murphy7h4: 6:43am On Jun 19, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]so excited! grin
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Saifullah01: 9:40am On Jun 19, 2012
@kobo, I thought the mantra was presumed innocent until proven guilty! How does targeted killings of people at gonin gora highway (Abuja kaduna) or television (inside kaduna). If we are to suspect anything, I would say these were innocent travellers and bystanders. Coz going by precedence the attackers would either be miles away or armed with guns shooting at random.

@ dudu, my condemnation or not doesn't make wrong, right. Anyways I condemned BH even in my first post, if u had read the OP with an open mind. That said u need to get the drift here, I don't care if u support the xtian youths or BH, neither would have I have commented if I had found such comment here on NL, my concern is national dailies using such uncut language. GET THE STORY HERE, IT'S NOT ABOUT CONDEMNING BH OR THE REPRISERS (even though I condemn both) IT'S ABOUT USE OF BIASED LANGUAGE BY THE MEDIA.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by belovedaja(m): 10:09am On Jun 19, 2012
All muslim are sympathizers of boko haram especially the northerns.
Islam has cause us a great setback.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by PapaBrowne(m): 10:13am On Jun 19, 2012
Saifullah01: @kobo, I thought the mantra was presumed innocent until proven guilty! How does targeted killings of people at gonin gora highway (Abuja kaduna) or television (inside kaduna). If we are to suspect anything, I would say these were innocent travellers and bystanders. Coz going by precedence the attackers would either be miles away or armed with guns shooting at random.

@ dudu, my condemnation or not doesn't make wrong, right. Anyways I condemned BH even in my first post, if u had read the OP with an open mind. That said u need to get the drift here, I don't care if u support the xtian youths or BH, neither would have I have commented if I had found such comment here on NL, my concern is national dailies using such uncut language. GET THE STORY HERE, IT'S NOT ABOUT CONDEMNING BH OR THE REPRISERS (even though I condemn both) IT'S ABOUT USE OF BIASED LANGUAGE BY THE MEDIA.

Ideologies are deep rooted. That article says "suspected" and it references the opinions of the attackers. I get your point though.
Its funny how unknown to you, you are using the same exact line of reasoning as that which Boko Haram gave as excuse for bombing Thisday. And thats why I say Ideologies are deep-rooted. Is it by coincidence that your position doesn't defer too much from that of Boko Haram? Check.

To be fair, I would explain to you what irks most people. Boko Haram attacks churches with the aim of instilling fear in Christians and preventing them from worshipping freely and leaders like El Rufai, Buhari and all the northern leaders never say a word in condemnation and sometimes go as far as saying its christians doing the bombings. Truth is Christians in the north have been very patient. To think that these bombings are so that power can return to the north in 2015 is just sad and pathetic.
The same media that was bombed by Boko Haram is whom you ask to be balanced in their reporting?? They would report the truth as they see it not as you want them to see it.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Kobojunkie: 10:58am On Jun 19, 2012
Saifullah01: @kobo, I thought the mantra was presumed innocent until proven guilty! How does targeted killings of people at gonin gora highway (Abuja kaduna) or television (inside kaduna). If we are to suspect anything, I would say these were innocent travellers and bystanders. Coz going by precedence the attackers would either be miles away or armed with guns shooting at random.

Of course they are presumed Innocent, hence the use of the word SUSPECTED. I think you are blowing hot over nothing here.

First you admit the word SUSPECTED is used, and then you also tell us that these were TARGETED(these killings were not random) killings. That, in a way suggests, that you are blowing hot for the wrong reasons. To top it all up, you are not even sure yourself that those killed were really travelers to begin with.

I think you should just let it go. What has happened has happened, and according to the killer boys, those they targeted were likely those they considered boko haram sympathizers/members. The truth will surface soon.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Saifullah01: 11:40am On Jun 19, 2012
Cool, cool. Its nothing personal to me, was just thinking... But it's good to know what others think.
Re: Why Is The Media Calling Victims Of Kaduna Reprisal "BH Sympathisers"? Bias? by Nuzo1(m): 11:59am On Jun 19, 2012
The deluded Salfullah mofo finds it disturbing when the same media house he bombed uses "suspected BH sympathysers. But feels so relaxed to use the phrase "christian youths" to describe those who went on reprrisal attack.

Una double standard dey overwhelming sha.

(1) (Reply)

'jonathan Should Not Resign'- OPC / Dana; Dna Shocker At Motuary / Of All Present ACN Governors. Whose Administration Do You Considered Worst?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.