Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:44 PM

Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO (20015 Views)

CANCER: NAFDAC Raises Alarm Over Bleaching Creams / Nigerians Top Cannabis Smokers? / Dangers Of Using Clobetasol Skin Bleaching Creams ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by ayobase(m): 5:35am On Jun 22, 2012
sweet_gala: This report is seriously flawed, both mathematically and in every other way conceivable. undecided undecided angry
Like one previous poster wrote the notion that 70% (105-110 million) of Nigerians if we take the population to be about 150 million use and abuse bleaching creams is absurd. Tura and similar products would lead the polls as the most widely available and used type of toning soap and I don't think 105 million of the world's Finest Citizens use them(it's a sales figure Tura manufacturers can only dream of).

Now we have been told the Northern parts accounts for 50% of our population of 150 million so they must have a lion's share of this figure, so can any sane Nigerian picture a northerner spending his/her precious funds on tura or expensive bleaching creams.
I can't picture some foreigners patrolling the streets of kano/kaduna to compile a report and if they left Nigerians to do such task they(W.H.O) should go get their money back. grin grin

It could be based on the quantity of bleaching products being used.
As they have been saying above, Alao, Mwobodo, IBB and d likes might be responsible for that percentage on behalf of Nigerians!
LOL!
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by ayobase(m): 5:40am On Jun 22, 2012
bayooooooo: Yellow fever!

Baba 70!
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by PhysicsQED(m): 6:25am On Jun 22, 2012
I don't know why people just believe some of the statistics that some organizations cook up. 50% of statistics anywhere are bullsh1t (I know this is also a statistic, but pretend it's from the good 50%).

Only a completely insane or mentally ill person would claim that "over 77 percent" of Nigerians use bleaching creams on a regular basis. I would be surprised if it were even up to 5%.
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by safarigirl(f): 7:42am On Jun 22, 2012
Let me imagine people went to the streets to investigate this. Did they ask anybody if he used bleaching cream and he said yes? Or did they ask others if they knew people who used this? Or did they just see some light-skinned people and assume they bleached? If they used the second method, the statistics is fairly beleivable, cos Naija people sabi talk, some can even claim their entire street use bleaching cream, plus that chic that snatched their guy and that usher that always wakes them up in church.
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by rasputinn(m): 7:58am On Jun 22, 2012
I'm not surprised cos between Alaafin,Nwobodo and Alao Akala alone,container loads of bleaching cream are used yearly cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 22, 2012
the WHO hasn't been to Congo yet!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by kizi: 8:36am On Jun 22, 2012
The Congolese top the list.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Biggyd2: 8:51am On Jun 22, 2012
Danka7777: IBB don turn half caste! Analyze both pictures

grin LOL
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by queenbinteo: 8:53am On Jun 22, 2012
What about Alaafin Oyo? The king is an ardent n consisent user of bleaching cream and I bet he is Alao Akala's mentor!!!! Smh
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by ochallo: 8:58am On Jun 22, 2012
This report is a big fat lie, though nigerians use a lot of bleaching cream but in the world, they are still lacking behind the americans, brazillians and indians. With the indians topping the list, they have v.a'gi>nal bleaching cream. armpit bleaching cream and alao akala has nothing on the effeminate indian men who have bleaching treatments in barbing saloons.
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 22, 2012
PhysicsQED: I don't know why people just believe some of the statistics that some organizations cook up. 50% of statistics anywhere are bullsh1t (I know this is also a statistic, but pretend it's from the good 50%).

Only a completely insane or mentally ill person would claim that "over 77 percent" of Nigerians use bleaching creams on a regular basis. I would be surprised if it were even up to 5%.

As I was just as curious as you are about the origin of these figures, I did some further digging.
What I found, surprisingly enough, is that the two articles cited time and again - no matter where I looked - were actually written by Nigerians.

Although I find it worrying that WHO directly substituted Lagos for Nigeria in this instance (as it did in the case of other capitals like Pretoria, Bamako and Dakar), @Nairaland commentariat, do we at least agree the underlying trend here portends a problem? cry

The use of skin lightening creams has become a socially acceptable phenomenon widely practised by both men and women in Lagos, Nigeria. Four hundred and fifty traders were selected to ascertain the extent of this practice and what socio-cultural and economic factors determine the use of these cosmetics.[b] Prevalence of use of skin lightening cosmetics was 77.3% comprising ninety-six males (27.6%) and two hundred and fifty two females (72.4%). The trend cuts across all socioeconomic strata, age, sex and marital status. [/b]Hydroquinolone based products were the most commonly used products although cortico-steroids and mercury-based products were also widely used. Of eleven dermatological side effects that were reported, exogenous ochronosis was the commonest. Recommendations on how to correct this ill in the society have been proffered.
Adebajo, S. B. (n.d.). An epidemiological survey of the use of cosmetic skin lightening cosmetics among traders in Lagos, Nigeria. West African Journal of Medicine, 21(1), 51–55.

The use of skin lightening ‘bleaching' agents has adverse effects on the skin. Cosmetic manufacturers in the country in advertising their products have exploited beautification with the use of these “bleaching” agents. The resultant increase in the use of these agents is likely to lead to a concomitant rise in the incidence of their adverse effects. The focus of this study is therefore to determine the prevalence of the use of skin lightening agents. This cross-sectional study was carried out among 385 University of Benin undergraduates. A multi-stage sampling method was used to select the students. Data was collected using pre-designed questionnaire. The study showed that 64.9% of the respondents used skin lightening agents in their soaps, body cream or facial cream. Hydroquinone based products was the most commonly used product. More females (70.7%) bleached than the males (52.2%). This difference was found to be statistically significant. Recommendations have been made including adding lectures on health implication of the usage of skin lightening agents to the curriculum of all students in Nigeria. This study has shown a high prevalence of the use of skin lightening agents among undergraduates in Benin City, Edo State,Nigeria.
Ofili, A. N., Eze, E. U., & Onunu, A. N. (2006). Prevalence of use of skin lightening agents amongst University of Benin undergraduates in Benin City, Nigeria. Nigerian Medical Practitioner, 49(1), 24–27.

In the African setting, cosmetic usage for the dark skinned is chiefly directed toward attempting to change one's skin color, and this has been a longstanding practice. Skin lightening or skin toning creams exist in Africa, and products produced for other purposes are used to lighten the skin, e.g., steroids. Steroids are anti-inflammatory agents used for the treatment of steroid responsive skin disorders.' Treatment of skin diseases was revolutionized with the advent of these anti-inflammatory corticosteroids. However, their use as skin lighteners is widespread, and complications arising from them have not been extensively documented in our environment in comparison to well-described complications from prolonged usage of hydroquinone leading to exogenous ochronosis2 and nephrotic syndrome secondary to mercurial.3
Nnoruka, E., & Okoye, O. (2006). Topical steroid abuse: its use as a depigmenting agent. Journal of the National Medical Association, 98(6), 934.
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Muttex(m): 8:59am On Jun 22, 2012
O ga ooo... Nairaland no go kill me with laughter with Alao Akala...and to be candid this is a true post.
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Biggyd2: 9:05am On Jun 22, 2012
What in the name of anything good is this? I thought the young should learn from the old. This is 'a whole Alaafin' abi

Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by kagel: 9:14am On Jun 22, 2012
[b]what of Ghanians almost all them bleaches but why Nigerians this time can we be seen as the best in things that
makes scene and not nonsense cry
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by damilola15: 9:17am On Jun 22, 2012
Biggyd2: What in the name of anything good is this? I thought the young should learn from the old. This is 'a whole Alaafin' abi

Heheheheee, I thought his mom was half albino and his dad just fair complexioned.

IMO that 77 % of Nigerians use such products on regular basis might be true but I suppose most of the 77 % don't know those products are bleaching products.

I'd better start using "oshe dudu".

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Biggyd2: 9:35am On Jun 22, 2012
damilola15:
Heheheheee, I thought his mom was half albino and his dad just fair complexioned.

IMO that 77 % of Nigerians use such products on regular basis might be true but I suppose most of the 77 % don't know those products are bleaching products.

I'd better start using "oshe dudu".

Haa, this thing tire me? I sure say im papa and mama no contribute to the 'cream induced patch-patch' for im face. If small pickin see that man by mistake for night, de pickin fit catch convulsion immediately o.
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 22, 2012
EzeUche: We all know that the Yorubas are the reason why Nigeria is one of the top users in the world for bleaching creams.

Seconded, No contest cool
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by gator666: 12:03pm On Jun 22, 2012
Even I (as a white European) think that black is as nice as any other colour and I really can't point any good reason why African girls and women bleach so much.
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 22, 2012
Ejiné: I know for sure Alao-Akala is responsible for 97% of its usage in Nigeria.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin # laugh fall from mango tree
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Ijlavsu: 1:17pm On Jun 22, 2012
dafman10: Alao Akala heads d body of bleachers in Nigeria. He just confirmed it.
. Why na? No beefs pls
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by TheShopKeeper(m): 1:32pm On Jun 22, 2012
coolzeal: Nigerians cannot be the top users of bleaching cream since we don't have skin colorism syndrome , the statics is bogus and fictitious: what about Indians and do you know how pale skinned is treasured in Japan, China, Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, Arab nations etc. The lighter you're the best you're accepted in those societies. Truly i don't really see more of Nigerians using bleaching cream. The funny part is nobody is talking about how the white people are busy roasting their skin all in the name of tan to get slightly darker, heck causing SKIN CANCER..

True
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Mrchippychappy(m): 2:31pm On Jun 22, 2012
Biggyd2: What in the name of anything good is this? I thought the young should learn from the old. This is 'a whole Alaafin' abi

www.nairaland.com/attachments/735784_alaafin_jpg9b363698f3d2a80778faba4dcb19f71a

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by otumfour(m): 5:47pm On Jun 22, 2012
kagel: [b]what of Ghanians almost all them bleaches but why Nigerians this time can we be seen as the best in things that
makes scene and not nonsense cry

undecided, som1 help this fo0l, I think he's tryna say something
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by BUSHMAN1: 10:18pm On Jun 22, 2012
they want to look like onyibo people, if only they know what onyibo people skin is really like
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by PhysicsQED(m): 12:24am On Jun 23, 2012
eGuerrilla:

As I was just as curious as you are about the origin of these figures, I did some further digging.
What I found, surprisingly enough, is that the two articles cited time and again - no matter where I looked - were actually written by Nigerians.

Although I find it worrying that WHO directly substituted Lagos for Nigeria in this instance (as it did in the case of other capitals like Pretoria, Bamako and Dakar), @Nairaland commentariat, do we at least agree the underlying trend here portends a problem? cry

Adebajo, S. B. (n.d.). An epidemiological survey of the use of cosmetic skin lightening cosmetics among traders in Lagos, Nigeria. West African Journal of Medicine, 21(1), 51–55.

Ofili, A. N., Eze, E. U., & Onunu, A. N. (2006). Prevalence of use of skin lightening agents amongst University of Benin undergraduates in Benin City, Nigeria. Nigerian Medical Practitioner, 49(1), 24–27.

Nnoruka, E., & Okoye, O. (2006). Topical steroid abuse: its use as a depigmenting agent. Journal of the National Medical Association, 98(6), 934.

And do you actually believe the conclusions (or should I say insinuations) of those studies? This is why I say 50% of statistics are bullsh1t - either partial bullsh1t or just complete and total bullsh1t. In what country anywhere in the world, in what one place anywhere can someone actually claim that 70% of traders or 60% of university students will probably be bleaching because a sample (which was selected how?) returned those results? Those Nigerian scholars would fall into the category of mentally ill people to me if I weren't so sure that they were just publishing whatever they could no matter how absurd just to add their publication list. Now look at the result of their nonchalance - the freaking WHO is citing stuff that they didn't even believe themselves when they published it as if it were factual.

Also, you didn't quote the part of the study where they indicated what the selected persons actually said about what creams they used - if there was such a section in those articles.

Did the authors of the studies ask the people directly if they used any bleaching cream and which ones?

Did the authors of the studies give the actual names of the bleaching creams people claimed to use in their article explicitly?

Did the authors of the studies show and prove that the specific creams or soaps the people selected used were meant to or actually do bleach skin?

Did the authors ask people if they were using those substances to bleach or just as lotion/cream generally?

Did the people that participated in the studies participate because they knew it was about skin bleaching creams, or was the sample actually random?

There's nowhere in the world where 70% of traders or 60% undergraduates are bleaching. I can agree that there is a problem but this is just nonsense.
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 23, 2012
@PhysicsQED,
The questions you posed are well thought out and actually bring much needed scrutiny to the way academic research is conducted in Nigeria.

As someone who has maintained more than a passing interest in the study of statistics, I am prepared to give the researchers involved in both studies some credit - since it is WHO who appear to have arrived at erroneous conclusions after substituting "market traders in Lagos" for Nigeria.

Constrained for time this morning, I have only been able to locate a scanned copy of the first research paper -[url=http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=%22An%20epidemiological%20survey%20of%20the%20use%20of%20cosmetic%20skin%20lightening%20cosmetics%20among%20traders%20in%20Lagos%22%2C%20&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CHMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unilag.edu.ng%2Fopendoc.php%3Fsno%3D11983%26doctype%3Dpdf%26docname%3D%24&ei=kXHlT_rdG8a3hQfqufnACQ&usg=AFQjCNGI1S5FkcTnnaFTXylIu-83MxnMDg/]An epidemiological survey of the use of cosmetics kin lightening cosmetics among traders in Lagos, Nigeria[/url] - which addresses some of your questions.
Note: Link provided will take you to a redirect notice where the actual URL required is presented
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by sweetcheecks(f): 10:49am On Jun 23, 2012
South africa usage 35 % maybe it is the combination of Congolese, et al, becose SAians do not bleach. It is frowned upon! cheesy
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by Peaches17(f): 7:53am On Feb 27, 2013
Nigerian women hav a secret,I'm buying my creams from them with their advice and no they cnt be bleaching leaders in Africa Congolese are, both men and women bleach its part of their heritage,India is worser than Nigeria but it is not a African country
Re: Nigerians, Top Users Of Bleaching Creams — WHO by bobbyANSELEM: 4:48pm On Oct 26, 2019
LIST OF TOXIC BODY LOTIONS YOU SHOULD NEVER USE

The long awaited list of skincare products which contains toxic or harmful ingredients has been revealed.
List of toxic body lotions you should never use.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Causes Of Late Menstrual Period Other Than Pregnancy / Period Twice In A Month / Roles Of Onion In Men Infertility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.