Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? (4995 Views)

Most Web Developers Are Guilty Of This / Free Ebook For Developers From Packt.limited Time Offer / How To Prevent Hired Developers From Stealing Your Source Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by quadrillio(m): 7:47pm On Jun 22, 2012
from fact, after living in Lagos and Currently in Osogbo, Osun *contract tinz*.
1) You've more web clients in lagos so more money. I practically have to tutor every osogbo client on web n its benefit.
2) since most of US *myself inclusive* are freelancer we'll like to work where we can attend events, network with people, learn about latest tech trend *though u can read on dis online*.
3) good schools to learn web tech is few n it hard to get that in other places outside Lagos.

*I case my rest here*

- SAFE
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Decryptor(m): 1:19am On Jun 23, 2012
All these Joomla, WP and Drupal guys have killed the beauty of this business especially in Lagos. I recide in Abuja and was in Lagos briefly when a cousin brought a friend who urgently needed a website for his business. I billed him an estimate of 120k and he declined. Fastforward two weeks later, and my cousin told me that he contacted someone in Ikeja who designed a site for him for just 10k angry shocked It's so annoying!
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Nobody: 2:39am On Jun 23, 2012
It is true, the cms has brought down work for some people, and has made work easier for others.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by auwal87(m): 4:46am On Jun 23, 2012
Suggestion:

A lot of reasons that kept people away from learning technology online, including the instruction, access to this training, and the very nature of our people regarding learning something new. For instance, even people that only know how to install CMS can still purge ahead and learn something new, a proverb which says stepping on a mat by the person intending to fly is a progress. So, they can still improve and become experts in something they are good at. If the cause or mission is to create as much professional designers and developers as possible, then creating an online portal providing training, with instructions from professionals is a starting point, motivating the learners to progress and become professionals too is another challenge though. It is possible to convert the Nigerian image of fraud and 419 with that of professional IT gurus.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by auwal87(m): 5:01am On Jun 23, 2012
Decryptor: All these Joomla, WP and Drupal guys have killed the beauty of this business especially in Lagos. I recide in Abuja and was in Lagos briefly when a cousin brought a friend who urgently needed a website for his business. I billed him an estimate of 120k and he declined. Fastforward two weeks later, and my cousin told me that he contacted someone in Ikeja who designed a site for him for just 10k angry shocked It's so annoying!

Has not really killed the business, but has brought more people into the business. Improvement on skills and becoming innovative or creative is the quest, and this is what should be encouraged, the more creative and skills you have the more you should earn.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Moderrator: 8:36am On Jun 23, 2012
I am not in lagos. And a lot of us too.
Just that lagos has more population and more company's head quaters base there.
Its therefore easier to hit it in lagos.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by 2sexy(m): 9:26am On Jun 23, 2012
Its because lagos has information hungry people than other state.

Hey, if you install joomla,drupal or wordpress, please do not consider yourself a webdeveloper. I can do or install the above but never consider myself a webdeveloper because going by the real meaning of a webdeveloper, I am not one.

Webdeveloper code and develop application. But like one American said of Nigerian webdeveloper, they lack the skill to sell. That's where entrepreneurship come in. The reason why most American webdevelopers make huge cash is that they know how to sell.

What you may not know is some people get jobs from big companies in US in thousands of dollars and then outsource it.

If you must succeed as a webdeveloper, then I urge you to learn how internet business work... Big companies like facebook, Google are buying up website and apps. Facebook is about to buy face.com. How is that? Check out face.com and see what you can achieve as a webdeveloper.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by valdubem(m): 11:21am On Jun 23, 2012
crackhouse: Because Lagos houses abt 1/4 of Nigeria's population.

m-u-m-u who told U dat? ode
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by DaLover(m): 11:57am On Jun 23, 2012
auwal87: I have been trying to figure out the reasons why most Nigeria's developers haled from Lagos. Being most developed state in Nigeria, doesn't mean it should produce all the developers. This is not a criticism, I want to know how Lagos came about to produce such number so that the same method can be applied in other states.

Millions of jobs can be created in web development, by creating demand not only from Nigerians, but from outside the country, like the way Indian developers are in demand, it will seriously ease unemployment and bring some sanity especially in the North.

For example; Earning $50 per week as a freelancer is conservatively possible, that is equivalent to N8,000 roughly, or N32,000 monthly. This is just a conservative figure, a freelancer can earn much more than this.

If we can bring about a solution to this, we can presumably change the lives of so many Nigerians.

Please let's have a constructive discussion about this issue.
When u say from Lagos, do u mean by ethnic group...i.e awori and others or by residence?
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 23, 2012
val_dubem:

m-u-m-u who told U dat? ode
Na wa o, see as insults dey fly on top this thread o!!
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by auwal87(m): 4:55pm On Jun 23, 2012
DaLover:
When u say from Lagos, do u mean by ethnic group...i.e awori and others or by residence?

Lagos residents
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by auwal87(m): 4:56pm On Jun 23, 2012
*dhtml:

Na wa o, see as insults dey fly on top this thread o!!

Typical of them
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by dolpaz: 11:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
Personally, Nigerians are not helping web developer...i just support the idea of starting a small group where free lancer works can be posted..am a web developer and i use most web technology on ma web..but I'd love other aspiring programmer to emulate that as well..Nigeria computer society is DEAD jare angry
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by nigboy(m): 5:06am On Jun 24, 2012
Lagos is just the center for everything in Nigeria
You cannot talk about anything compu without mentioning Lagos
http://www.vickywebworld.org/
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by DaLover(m): 11:37am On Jun 24, 2012
auwal87:

Lagos residents
Ok then, the answer is simple, thats where the business is...
unfortunately as previous federal capital, the federal government centered so much development there, to the detriment of other areas...such as is being done in Abuja today.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make / Naija Or Nigerian, Which Is Better For Domain Name? / 5 Amazing Ways To Write Interesting Blog Post Topics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.